Thread: Castle map for siege battles?

Question Castle map for siege battles?

I'd like to set chosen battle map for a siege battle. I found this entry in the startpos folder:

Code:
    SetCastleMap::	ID_CONSTANTINOPLE	0 "constantinople" 1 "constantinople" 2 "constantinople" 3 "constantinople" 4 "constantinople" 5 "constantinople"  6 "constantinople" 7 "constantinople" 8 "constantinople" 9 "constantinople" 10 "constantinople" 11 "constantinople" 12 "constantinople" 13 "constantinople"
    "SetCastleMap::" - the game doesn't even start. When changed to "SetCastleMaps::" - game starts but campaign doesn't show on the list. I've tried many combinations but nothing seems to work e.g.:
    - different maps like "acre", "antioch_castle", etc.
    - Castle has 15 levels so I added 14th section
    - changed spaces for tabs

Does anyone know how to make it work?
    Last edited by Stazi; 02-26-2011 at 21:32.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Exclamation Re: Castle map for siege battles?

Sorry, for double post but now I can answer my own question.
    The right syntax that doesn't cause errors or make campaign disappear from the list is e.g.:

SetCastleMaps:: ID_WEST_FOLD "Helms_Deep" "Helms_Deep" "Helms_Deep "Helms_Deep" "Helms_Deep" "Helms_Deep" "Helms_Deep" "Helms_Deep" "Helms_Deep"

It's for the the 9 levels castle (like that from viking invasion). You just have to remove the numbers from the example and add "s" (SetCastelMaps command). This syntax doesn't cause the errors but unfortunately doesn't work too. It should overrides the default map group set by SetAttributes command.
    I've found a tutorial by Barocca that says it's a viable option for setting different maps for the siege battles. Could anyone confirm this method works (or doesn't)?

btw making castle maps work is only part of my goal. I've found a SetBattleMaps command and now I'm trying to figure out the right syntax for it. This is even more important for me than castle maps. If someone knows something about it, PLEASE, LET ME KNOW! I really need a separate battle maps for provinces like Osgiliath, Pelennor Fields and many others.
    Last edited by Stazi; 02-27-2011 at 21:36.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Default Re: Castle map for siege battles?

Hello Stazi,

in the original game maps are grouped by terrain (steppe, plains, hills, mountains), and you get each time at "random" (ie the engine picks for you), any of those under the name setting for that terrain, annoted with the appropriate fauna/climate (rock-sandy desert, arid, lush, temperate) and architecture (islamic, east-west-southern european).

So basically there is already a variety of maps for each province; all you have to do is rename the maps you want to include in the terrain type and include them therein, i would say. I haven't done this myself, just a suggestion that might give an indirect answer to your problem - with a bit of good luck :)
    Last edited by gollum; 03-02-2011 at 21:15.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Many apologies for performing this necromancy, but this thread is begging for resurrection.

Assuming you still need the answer of course....

It actually works on the province attributes line and I use the feature a lot in my Ancient mods (eg special maps for Carthage and Syracuse in the Punic Wars scenario), and here's an example from my latest:

SetAttributes:: ID_LANDREG_02 "Illyria" 1 PAGAN_CULTURE TEMPERATE AT_DARK_AGE_EUROPEAN 11 392 "Illyria Castle_xzy" INLAND HILLY NO_RIVER TRUE
    The secret lies in the naming of your maps in the first place. Make your special castle map, name it for the appropriate terrain (so here it was 'castlehilly') and give it a NON-SEQUENTIAL number - this is the bit that makes it work properly!

I actually have three 'specials' in my 'castlehilly' class as well as seven 'standard' maps. The maps are numbered castlehilly01-07, 09, 11, and 13. Numbers 1-7 get called for random provinces, but 9, 11 and 13 only get called for the provinces that ask for them in the set-attributes. It seems breaking the chain of sequential numbers stops the engine looking any further down the list for 'random' maps, whilst allowing the special calls to work.

For added colour, I also made all my Carthage map levels the same - just made copies of the same castle and named it for each level. The result is in battle you always get the same map regardless of how well built up it is on the strat map. The only difference in battle is that the higher castle levels can have a larger garrison to fight when you assault it.
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Member thankful for this post:

Stazi 

Quote Originally Posted by macsen rufus View Post
    The maps are numbered castlehilly01-07, 09, 11, and 13. Numbers 1-7 get called for random provinces, but 9, 11 and 13 only get called for the provinces that ask for them in the set-attributes. It seems breaking the chain of sequential numbers stops the engine looking any further down the list for 'random' maps, whilst allowing the special calls to work.
    Great find. Thanks for sharing it.
    Hmm... what if maps are numbered castlehilly01-07, 09-11 and you set a province to e.g. 9 or 11? Does the engine choose randomly from those 3 maps (09-11)?

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

I'm not sure on that, haven't tried it - once I got the basics worked out, I have always put a gap between each 'custom' map and the next. The effect of not leaving that gap still remains to be discovered....
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4