Thread: Cat throwing up blood

Default Cat throwing up blood

My cat has a hairball problem, and throws up a lot. Today she threw up, and there was blood in it. The local vets are not open on Sunday, so I cannot bring her in for a check-up. Does anyone know what may be wrong with her?
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Default Re: Cat throwing up blood

Well, the hairball may have grazed his esophagus a bit and cause a little bit of bleeding - like when sometimes we blow our noses too hard a bust a small capillary, which heals almost immediately. I suggest you observe your cat for the next couple of hours. If he is not in distress (pain, vomiting, no appetite, depressed, meowing, etc.) then, the spot of blood may have been from a small abrasion caused by the expellation of the hairball.

However, you should still take her to the vet as soon as possible; she may have eaten something sharp. If it gets serious, I do believe there are emergency vets you could call.
    "They're just overloaded from the spamgasm."-Askthepizzaguy
    "... Either your as destructive as the most depraved 4 channer or so devious that you can cause the most trouble while acting utterly oblivious as to make us think your too dumb to be doing this intentionally... and the scary thing is I cant help but think the latter."-Greyblades
    "Thefluffyone is the greatest thing to happen to the .org since Beefy187."-Askthepizzaguy
    "TheFluffyOne makes me feel moist."-Askthepizzaguy

The title of this thread nearly made me sick!

I asked my father, who is a veterinarian. He said that it's quite normal for cats to cough up a bit of blood when they vomit. It's not really something to worry about, he said.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Thanks guys, that had me really worried. I am still gonna take her to the vet though, because she throws up a lot (literally nearly everyday) on account of her fur, and I have never seen blood before. She has been acting completely normal other than that though, which is a big relief. She hasn't thrown up again yet either.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Get anti-hairball whattheycalled, also cleans their teeth

Take over part of her grooming: she'll probably enjoy the attention and with you removing loose hairs in the fur she won't have to cough them up later as hairballs.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

Gooming is also good to prevent nappies! I don't groom my cat as often as I should. He has hard tufts of hair on his back in some places. Once they get like that the only way to remove them is with a electic razor or a professional groomer I assume. I have shaved them off my cat in the past, actually, he needs a shave again. I really should brush him more...
    Silence is beautiful

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    My cat has a hairball problem, and throws up a lot. Today she threw up, and there was blood in it. The local vets are not open on Sunday, so I cannot bring her in for a check-up. Does anyone know what may be wrong with her?
    Eh, I doubt that's a good thing.

Hey guys, just wanted to give an update. She threw up again, and this time there was no blood. (thank goodness)
    I talked to the vet on the phone, and she did not seem concerned. She told me that it was probably nothing to worry about, but that I should bring her in if it happens again. I think that I would feel a little better if they looked at her, but apparently she thinks that is unnecessary, so I am relieved.
    @Frags: Yeah, I give her a brown gooey medicine that is supposed to help, but it doesn't do a very good job. (she has been on it for nearly three years)
    @Tellos and A Nerd: You are right, I should groom her more. I used to groom her once a week, and she would throw up a lot less, but I have not been doing it in the last year or so. I gotta make more time for it.

One easily trifled with Member Target Champion Motep's Avatar

Well, I suppose my telling you that is normal is pretty redundant by now...

I miss cats...
    TosaInu shall never be forgotten.