Thread: ordering archer units into melee?

Default ordering archer units into melee?

In all the previous total war games, you could order missile units into melee (i think it was alt + right click?). this doesn't seem to work in shogun 2, am i missing something? in Shogun 1, it was often a game winning tactic to run your archers around once melee started, and charge right into their flank/rear.

Default Re: ordering archer units into melee?

Welcome to the Org Dustfurn.

I vaguely recall seeing something about bowmen and melee, but I haven't paid too much attention to it so far. I'm just trying to get back some kind of basic control of the army and doing anything fancy with the archers is a lesson for later. I will say that my bowmen have not fared well on the battlefield as their casualty rate is very high. Poor fellows.
    This space intentionally left blank

Senior Member Senior Member Forward Observer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dustfurn View Post
    In all the previous total war games, you could order missile units into melee (i think it was alt + right click?). this doesn't seem to work in shogun 2, am i missing something? in Shogun 1, it was often a game winning tactic to run your archers around once melee started, and charge right into their flank/rear.

Any time you select a missile unit there will be a mêlée button that appears on the border of the circle that envelopes the picture of the unit commander in the lower left hand corner of the screen. It appears as crossed swords, and you have to highlight it for it to take effect. I could not find a toggle key command like those used for archer units in Med 2 and prior TW games.

I don't know how effective the Ashigaru bowmen would be although they do carry a sword. The Samurai bowmen would probably be better for this.

Cheers
    Last edited by Forward Observer; 03-19-2011 at 01:29. Reason: spelling
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

only way ive found out to do it so far is, next to the 3d portrait thing one of the buttons toggles melee mode for range units.

edit : the icon is 2 crossed swords iirc
    "How come i cant make friends like that"
    "You need to get out more"
    "Im in another galaxy, how much more out can i get"

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah there's a button now. It boggles the mind why CA would apparently force you to use two mouseclicks instead of one like in the first four games.

BLEEEE! Senior Member Daveybaby's Avatar

The cheapest archers have no melee capability. The more expensive ones (that also have a slighly lower headcount per unit) will melee (2nd level archery building required? Not sure). Read the unit descriptions :-)

And just as with every TW game to date, you can instruct a ranged unit to melee by ALT+Click on target. Or was that CTRL. Weird how my brain cant remember when i'm not playing the game, but my finger muscle memory does it automatically when playing.
    Last edited by Daveybaby; 03-19-2011 at 11:18.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daveybaby View Post
    And just as with every TW game to date, you can instruct a ranged unit to melee by ALT+Click on target. Or was that CTRL. Weird how my brain cant remember when i'm not playing the game, but my finger muscle memory does it automatically when playing.
    Alt click certainly didn't work when I tried, I think I tried the obvious other combinations but not 100%. I only got it to work with the method Forward Observer mentioned.

BLEEEE! Senior Member Daveybaby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    Alt click certainly didn't work when I tried, I think I tried the obvious other combinations but not 100%. I only got it to work with the method Forward Observer mentioned.
    The way i've found it to be:
    Bow Ashigaru cannot melee
    Bow Samurai can melee

Note: i'm playing the choskabe faction, their archers have higher stats, maybe this affects things...

I believe f is the hotkey to switch from ranged to melee
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Senior Member Senior Member Forward Observer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veho Nex View Post
    I believe f is the hotkey to switch from ranged to melee

You are right; thanks. I missed this when I scanned the manual because it was captioned "Group--Battle Land Mêlée", which made me think it was some sort of grouping command.

I think that all ranged units have the mêlée capability--regardless of cost. It's just that some units like bow or matchlock Ashigaru only start with a mêlée stat of 1. However, their levels can improve with experience. You can check this out in the custom battle planner and the in game encyclopedia.

Cheers
    Last edited by Forward Observer; 03-19-2011 at 20:43.
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.