Thread: Provinces and Factions hardcoded effects

Default Provinces and Factions hardcoded effects

I'd like to gather knowledge about hardcoded effects for factions and provinces.
    • FACTIONS:
      1. FN_PAPIST
        This is surely the most hardcoded faction. All stuff concerning crusades (asks for support/crusades, money for being a good catholic/crusader), excomunications, no wifes, no princes/princesses. etc. But the most important for me is the re-emerging ability.
        As eat cold steel wrote:
        the Papist will only re-emerge if they existed in Rome before, if if you take out they faction altogether then they can't come back. Here is the deal, "if they existed in Rome before" what you can do is mod out ID_ROME from the game (or make a blank region and make that Rome like sahara - with no neighbour so the Papist will never get hold of it from the rebels,) the Papist will get one life only.
        and
        More from ECS on modding the Pope out of the game:Actually, I am not sure if it will work or not, he will be out of the game but all the stuff to do with excommuication and granting crusades and stuff will still be in effect - he'll still meddle in your kingdom when even when he is off the map. Give it a try anyway, replace all ID_ROME with ID_AFRICA and ID AFRICA with ID_ROME. By effectively isolating the pope he will exist but not interfere with gameplay
        for some additional informations about Pope read Caravel posts below.
      2. FN_GOLDEN HORDE
        emerges in 1230 via hardcoded event - can't be changed.
      3. FN_SWISS
        emerges in ID_SWITZERLAND about 1280-1453 via hardcoded event - can't be changed.
        emerges only if loyalty is below 120%. - added by Caravel
      4. FN_BURGUNDIAN
        emerges in ID_BURGUNDY about 1350-1453 via hardcoded event - can't be changed.
        emerges only if loyalty is below 120%. - added by Caravel
      5. FN_BYZANTINE
        King seems to always have 2 more influence (default is 4)
        and +1 command star - added by Caravel
      6. FN_GERMAN_HRE
        It's impossible to eliminate the faction by killing off the leader and heirs, they just elect a new one. - added by drone
      7. FN_FRENCH
        As the main crusading faction they seem to have a priority list of provinces for crusades: ID_TOULOUSE, ID_AQUITAINE, ID_TRIPOLI, ID_JERUSALEM, ID_EDESSA, ID_ANTIOCH. I'm not 100% sure - this list may be applicable for all crusading factions.
      8. FN_07 - "The Vikings"
        Info in VIKINGS.txt: "Initial Ports - These attract raiders" - looks like only ports placed in startpos file attract Vikings.
        The Vikings get full value for destroyed buildings when raiding. This is active until they switch from Pagan to Christian. - added by drone
        The Vikings can also board ships from any province regardless if it has a port or not. - added by gollum
    • PROVINCES: - I mean only provinces directly connected with factions, not with events.
      1. ID_ROME
        see FN_PAPIST above.
      2. ID_KHAZAR, ID_VOLGA_BULGARIA, ID_GEORGIA, ID_ARMENIA
        Target provinces for Golden Horde ??? ID_KHAZAR seems to be the main province. - see FN_GOLDEN_HORDE above.
    If you find any errors or know something about other factions or provinces, please, leave a message. I'd like to make this list as complete as possible.
    Last edited by Stazi; 02-20-2012 at 15:39.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: Provinces and Factions hardcoded effects

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    FN_GERMAN_HRE
    I read about Germans somewhere but I can't recall now.
    My guess is this probably is related to their faction leader/heir scheme. It's impossible to eliminate the faction by killing off the leader and heirs, they just elect a new one.
    FN_07 - "The Vikings"
    ECS wrote:

I don't know what does it exactly mean but it may be connected with info in VIKINGS.txt :"// Initial Ports - These attract raiders"
    The Vikings get full value for destroyed buildings when raiding. This is active until they switch from Pagan to Christian.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

IIRC the Vikings can also board ships from any province regardless if it has a port or not.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

I'd like to gather knowledge about hardcoded effects for factions and provinces.

FACTIONS:

FN_PAPIST
    This is surely the most hardcoded faction. All stuff concerning crusades (asks for support/crusades, money for being a good catholic/crusader), excomunications, no wifes, no princes/princesses. etc. But the most important for me is the re-emerging ability.
    As eat cold steel wrote:
    The papal faction and the "papal bull" function are two separate entities. I believe you can remove the papacy by following ECS' advice regarding keeping them out of Rome. With the papacy faction removed, the "papal bull" function should stop as that's what usually happens, without having been in Rome though they shouldn't be able to reappear as Rome is their "emergence" province as Switzerland is for the Swiss, Burgundy for the Burgundians and Khazar, Armenia, etc for the Golden Horde. You can test this easily. Remove Rome from the Papal faction's list of provinces from the startpos and place a strong rebel garrison there. Then start a game as the italians and wipe out the papacy and see what comes of it.

When the papacy reappear, they do so as a "new faction" (like when the golden horde appear) not as a loyalist revolt triggered by the presence of an under age heir and loyalty in former provinces below 120%.

FN_SWISS
    emerges in ID_SWITZERLAND about 1280-1453 via hardcoded event - can't be changed.

FN_BURGUNDIAN
    emerges in ID_BURGUNDY (maybe in neighbor provinces too?) about 1350-1453 via hardcoded event - can't be changed.
    Only in Switzerland and Burgundy and only if loyalty is below 120%.

FN_BYZANTINE
    King seems to always have 2 more influence (default is 4)
    And +1 command star.
    Last edited by caravel; 03-23-2011 at 17:22.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gollum View Post
    IIRC the Vikings can also board ships from any province regardless if it has a port or not.
    Yup, forgot about this one.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by Caravel View Post
    The papal faction and the "papal bull" function are two separate entities. I believe you can remove the papacy by following ECS' advice regarding keeping them out of Rome. With the papacy faction removed, the "papal bull" function should stop as that's what usually happens, without having been in Rome though they shouldn't be able to reappear as Rome is their "emergence" province as Switzerland is for the Swiss, Burgundy for the Burgundians and Khazar, Armenia, etc for the Golden Horde. You can test this easily. Remove Rome from the Papal faction's list of provinces from the startpos and place a strong rebel garrison there. Then start a game as the italians and wipe out the papacy and see what comes of it.

When the papacy reappear, they do so as a "new faction" (like when the golden horde appear) not as a loyalist revolt triggered by the presence of an under age heir and loyalty in former provinces below 120%.
    If I understand correctly the new faction doesn't excommunicate, give moneys for crusades, ask for crusades, etc? Does this new faction still acts like papacy trying to reappear every 10 years or so?

So.. about papacy.. we have 3 triggers:
    1. faction: FN_PAPIST - trigger core functions of papacy
    2. province: ID_ROME - trigger keeping reappear as the same papacy faction and bull function
    3. AI behavior: POPE - ...eee What does it really give? How does the POPE AI act?

Hmm. I just wonder how the pope will act if I make him e.g. islamic or pagan religion. This should be interesting (especially crusades and jihads).

Thank you guys for all answers.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

You're welcome Stazi,
    take a look at this engineer's guild thread Axalon started some time ago in the same topic. Might prove useful.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...hardcoded-list!
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

If I understand correctly the new faction doesn't excommunicate, give moneys for crusades, ask for crusades, etc? Does this new faction still acts like papacy trying to reappear every 10 years or so?
    No, the new papal faction behaves much like the previous, but is perceptively much more aggressive due to the large stack of well upgraded units it appears with. It also reactivates the the "papal bull" function, so calls for crusades, warnings, excommunications and donations of money to "good catholics" begin again.

So.. about papacy.. we have 3 triggers:
    1. faction: FN_PAPIST - trigger core functions of papacy
    2. province: ID_ROME - trigger keeping reappear as the same papacy faction and bull function
    3. AI behavior: POPE - ...eee What does it really give? How does the POPE AI act?

Hmm. I just wonder how the pope will act if I make him e.g. islamic or pagan religion. This should be interesting (especially crusades and jihads).

Thank you guys for all answers.
    1. Yes the papist faction must exist, for the "papal bull" function to be active.
    2. Rome seems to be linked doing by ECS' comments, but this needs proper testing.
    3. The AI types are hardcoded, we can guess at what they are but we don't know what they actually consist of. The Pope AI seems very passive though. gollum has observed the behaviour of AI types more than I have so he may have some more input.

I've never tried changing the papal faction's religion... give it a go?

First post updated.

Quote Originally Posted by gollum View Post
    You're welcome Stazi,
    take a look at this engineer's guild thread Axalon started some time ago in the same topic. Might prove useful.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...hardcoded-list!
    Thank you very much. I've read this thread long time ago and forgot about it. It's very informative and full of interesting ideas.

Caravel - thanks for the clarification.