Thread: where lives the heir

Default where lives the heir

I try to keep my king in the provinces with all possible bonuses, especially when his heirs come of age (to let their units have the same bonuses) or he is about to pass away. But when he dies, the new king may appear in any province (at least that is my idea). It is very inconvenient, firstly because he may appear in a province which does not provide any bonuses (and his unit surprisingly loses the ones he had as a prince's unit - like armor or metalsmith upgrades), secondly because (if your empire is quite large) it takes some time to figure out where he is. I understand that for the Byz and HRE it must be Constantinople and Rome respectively as historical centers of the nations. But with the Spanish, for example, I found the new king in most unlikely places. So, I wonder is there any rule or pattern, according to which the province where the new king appears is chosen. And if HRE does not capture Rome, where its king starts from? Or is it a random choice?
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Default Re: where lives the heir

There is no historical rule governing where the new king will appear. He will simply spawn in the most developed province. His old unit is disbanded which is annoying but unavoidable, and he moved to a new one.

VictorGB Member Trapped in Samsara's Avatar

Hi

If you click (or maybe right click) your faction's shield in the bottom left-hand corner of the campaign screen your view will immediately move to centre on your king.

Hope that helps

Regards
    Victor

Sapere aude
    Horace

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Asai Nagamasa View Post
    There is no historical rule governing where the new king will appear. He will simply spawn in the most developed province. His old unit is disbanded which is annoying but unavoidable, and he moved to a new one.
    This is how it works. Which usually isn't a problem, unless you happen to have successfully taken Constantinople with a crusade as a western European faction. Then it really becomes a problem.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Your king should be easy to find. Somewhere in the bottom left of the campaign screen is a picture of his coat of arms. Click it and the screen should go straight to the province he is in.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

There is also the family info parchment (the one with the crown mark) in which the heirs' names are listed. Click on them and they'll get you to the stack they are in. This is however for heirs not for rulers. For the ruler follow victor's and BB's advice.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Want to revive the thread as I spotted an interested development of the topic.
    Playing VI as Picts I bribed the rebel army in Jutland and rooted there. I upgraded the province trying to get the best possible units with best possible upgrades and best ships I could. I built an inn also and hired heaps of mercs. About 120 years before the end of the campaign my old king died and the new one took septre in Jutland. It didn't make his subjects on the islands too happy, but there were no rebellions. But somehow, I'm in doubt. Jutland was a province developed only for toops and ships production - no agricultural, trade or other upgrades. Moreover, I didn't try to develop cavalry training facilities. Some of my provinces on the island (Elmet, for example) were more (and more versitile) developed, yet I couldn't get the next kings to return to the homeland.
    So I thought perhaps the definition of "the most developed province where the new king appears" needs clarification? Or there might be other things that influence the location where the new monarch pops up. Could it be the number of troops - I concentrated a huge (for VI) amout of them in Jutland - about four stacks - to attack huscarl-infested Hordaland?

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

What castle levels did you have on Jutland and the islands? I was under the impression that this was the determining factor (or at least the first cut).
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

On the island I had several keeps. In Jutland it was the keep as well.