Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: What history book are you reading or planning to read?/ The history bookreview thread

Default Re: What history book are you reading or planning to read?/ The history bookreview th

Quote Originally Posted by moonburn View Post
    i learned in college to consult 3 diferent enciclopedias before making a statement wich suported my arguments (given that wikipedia was the 1st one i used you can understand how some information could make me look like a conspiracy crazy theorist and grant me a c for "originality" )

i´m currently looking for a book that talks about the divinity´s i had found it free online but the next day my old computer broke and i can´t recall the title the version i was reading was free for all in wikipedia
    If you're trying to tell me something..... I don't get it :)
    -Silentium... mandata captate; non vos turbatis; ordinem servate; bando sequute; memo demittat bandum et inimicos seque;
    Parati!
    -Adiuta...
    -...DEUS!!!

Completed EB Campaigns on VH/M: ALL... now working for EBII!

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Default Re: What history book are you reading or planning to read?/ The history bookreview th

Quote Originally Posted by LusitanianWolf View Post
    I'm currently reading the Project Gutenberg Ebook of "De Bello Gallico", by "the dude you all know".
    Do anyone know of other free ebooks from classical authors around? I'm quite interested in reading the Parallel Lives of Plutarch.
    Most, especially the well known works, have copyright free translations around the interwebs. They've been translated over and over again, many late 19th century and early 20th century translations hence roam the free domain.

Check out perseus for a good start: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/...on:Greco-Roman
    Edit: press the blue arrow buttons left to the authors name to reveal all relevant books/translations.
    Last edited by Moros; 12-28-2013 at 16:07.

Member thankful for this post:

EBII Council Senior Member Kull's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kdrakak View Post
    Please let us know what you think of it. I bought the one with the elephant medallions and it should be in by this week. I kind of get the feeling they will all be pretty similar, being based on the same evidence more or less. This is just what I expect. I hope to be proved wrong.
    My sister sent me that for Christmas two years ago, and it was actually quite interesting. A pretty good piece of scholarship, from what I can see, and takes you into an area known previously known only to the experts.
    "Numidia Delenda Est!"

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    Most, especially the well known works, have copyright free translations around the interwebs. They've been translated over and over again, many late 19th century and early 20th century translations hence roam the free domain.

Check out perseus for a good start: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/...on:Greco-Roman
    Edit: press the blue arrow buttons left to the authors name to reveal all relevant books/translations.
    Wow, thank you very very much

Moros 

Does anyone have any Greek Battle Books. Particularly in the Spartan-Athenian era.

A friend suggested one to me before and I was really enjoying it , but lost it when I got a new pc, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post

Dear Lord, this is AWESOME! Thank you very much!

"My advice to you is: get married. If you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher."

If you're looking for something current that should be a read for every EB fan, try "The Oxford Handbook of Warfare in the Classical World" (edited by Campbell and Tritle), Oxford University Press 2013. It features articles from almost 40 established academics, featuring issues such as leadership and command, the development of strategy, wound treatment, military intelligence, logistics and warfare's role in society. It also contains some intriguing case studies of specific battles. Also to serve as a prelude to EB, look for James Romm's "Ghost on the Throne: The Death of Alexander the Great and the Bloody Fight For His Empire" (2011), which details the events from 323 to 316, during which the Diadochi were established. Romm's book reads almost as Game of Thrones-esque and would make a great HBO show in its own right, while still being academic. I recommend both very highly, although Campbell & Tritle, while being very recent and up to date, is anything but affordable.

Brigantium, Artabria, dangerously close to the sea

Can anyone recommend a good biography of Sulla, or any other of the players in the late Roman Republic?

There's the work of Keaveney on Sulla, but I wouldn't recommend it.

mcloughlin an australian author wrote whats for me the best historic novel it reads very easily and it´s trully immersive particulary the caesar one wich i read 4 times already but there are 4 more and one is on or around sulla

Quote Originally Posted by moonburn View Post
    mcloughlin an australian author wrote whats for me the best historic novel it reads very easily and it´s trully immersive particulary the caesar one wich i read 4 times already but there are 4 more and one is on or around sulla
    Christine Mc Cullough. the series I believe is called "The Masters of Rome". BTW this is the Author of "the Thorn Birds"

Quote Originally Posted by MButcher View Post
    Sidky's The Greek Kingdom of Bactria: from Alexander to Eucratides the Great is an excellent read. I highly recommend it. The only drawback is that, as the title suggests, he emphasizes the Bactrian kings and does not discuss the later Indo-Greeks in much detail.
    Finished this one some time ago. While it is an excellent read, in some ways, it's only drawback is not the small discussion of the Indo-Greeks. There are other drawbacks. For one, the author presumes that he must start the story at the battle of Gaugamela. More than two thirds of the book discuss Alexander's campaign from Gaugamela back to Babylon and the events that followed immediately after that. While the book includes all the sources that are available for Bactria (there are not that many after all) it fuses the stories of other authors from many many years ago. While I did not want to go through the books of Tarn and Narain (both of them considered towers of Bactrian studies) because I figured their information on the subject was outdated, it turns out that the best reason not to go through them is because most of it belongs to the sphere of imagination and is basically based on nothing. An idea, with less than an indication, was turned to a possibility to be decidedly accepted as fact. To be fair they did lead the way, they did raise interest and got the whole thing going on Bactria. But it's just not quite that scientific. Sidky's book does little more than reiterate and collect. Not to mention its poor editing.
    I am now going through Holt's "The Lost world of the Golden King", but this one is heavily focused on numismatics, as are all Holt's books, which of course is the richest field for any kind of evidence about Hellenistic Bactria. If a book is to be written about Bactrian history it's bound to be heavily focused on numismatics, at least for the time being, since un-looted excavation sites and clear epigraphical evidence are very hard to come by in Afganistan and have been for the last couple of centuries at least. The problem is no brief review tells you that you'll be reading a book on the story of numismatists. Not so much a book on Bactria. The story about the huge golden eucratidion and how it found it's way to the west is interesting but in itself is not history. Still, far more accurate than most.

All in all, it makes me wonder how the EB team managed to create such a colorful and exotic faction as Bactria is in EB. A personal favorite. So much so that I am having trouble deciding whether I want to have a go at it from EB2 Beta or wait until things are a bit more polished.
    Last edited by kdrakak; 05-30-2014 at 22:23. Reason: forum got half my post!
    -Silentium... mandata captate; non vos turbatis; ordinem servate; bando sequute; memo demittat bandum et inimicos seque;
    Parati!
    -Adiuta...
    -...DEUS!!!

Completed EB Campaigns on VH/M: ALL... now working for EBII!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678