Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: What history book are you reading or planning to read?/ The history bookreview thread

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel Member Kival's Avatar

Default Re: What history book are you reading or planning to read?/ The history bookreview th

Thanks. I'll try to get my hands on this book, sadly it can not get it in my university library. Can you recommend any of this more specific books?

Also I'd be grateful for any further recommendation.

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel

Default Re: What history book are you reading or planning to read?/ The history bookreview th

Quote Originally Posted by Kival View Post
    Thanks. I'll try to get my hands on this book, sadly it can not get it in my university library. Can you recommend any of this more specific books?

Also I'd be grateful for any further recommendation.
    Have you tried searching the DAI Zenon catalogue?

If you're looking for a more specific german publication maybe
    'Syrakus unter Agathokles und Hieron II. : die Verbindung von Kultur und Macht in einer hellenistischen Metropole' Caroline Lehmler (Frankfurt am Main,Verlag Antike, 2005) (german review) could be of interest.

'...usque adeo res humanas vis abdita quaedam:opterit et pulchros fascis saevasque secures:proculcare ac ludibrio sibi habere videtur.' De rerum natura V, 1233ff.

Wading through Tarn's The Greeks in Bactria and India for a bit of a refresher. Would like to know if there are any decent, modern (English or German) books out on Greek Baktria and/or the Indohellenic kingdoms other than Sidky, Tarn, Narain, and Holt. Would like to read Bophearachchi, but don't have enough of a command of French.
    "The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Constantius III View Post
    Wading through Tarn's The Greeks in Bactria and India for a bit of a refresher. Would like to know if there are any decent, modern (English or German) books out on Greek Baktria and/or the Indohellenic kingdoms other than Sidky, Tarn, Narain, and Holt. Would like to read Bophearachchi, but don't have enough of a command of French.
    The British Museum is currently hosting an exhibition of Bactrian artefacts that were rescued from the Taliban.

Currently reading Edmund Morris' three volume biography of Theodore Roosevelt - it's my fifth biography this year, and fourth of a US President, and I can't decide whether he was insanely brilliant or brilliantly insane.

JEBMMP Creator & AtB Maker Member jirisys's Avatar

Anabasis (greek and english)
    Comentarii de Bello Gallico (latin and english)

Just to jumpstart my ancient languages.

Then I will read Geographika (english, I doubt my greek will progress that much).

Though I will read em when I finish college, big time spender there.

~Jirisys ()
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Because we all need to compensate...

Quote Originally Posted by Subotan View Post
    The British Museum is currently hosting an exhibition of Bactrian artefacts that were rescued from the Taliban.
    I wish, I wish, I wish I were in London right now. :( Though I did see a lot of cool Yuezhi stuff at UPenn a few months ago as part of a Silk Road exhibition that included the Beauty of Xiaohe. Almost as awesome.
    "The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Quote Originally Posted by Subotan View Post

Currently reading Edmund Morris' three volume biography of Theodore Roosevelt - it's my fifth biography this year, and fourth of a US President, and I can't decide whether he was insanely brilliant or brilliantly insane.
    teddy really is an either or in that regard.

and WOW at the British Museum exhibition, i freaking wish man. how long will the exhibition last? I'll be in Europe in a few months, i need to see these new Bactrian artifacts.

It's a collection of many artefacts from all over Afghanistan, it's not just Baktrian (as in Greco-Baktrians) items, there is plenty of Saka, Yeuhzi/Kushan and other culture's stuff too. I hope to be able to see it before it closes (17 of July), although I might not have the time.

http://www.britishmuseum.org/whats_o...ghanistan.aspx

Wimpy of the Sore Ass Member WImPyTjeH's Avatar

Bambi, a Life in the Woods by Felix Salten

No, serious: Polis: An Introduction to the Ancient Greek City-State by Mogens Herman Hansen. Title says it all, but I've got to read this for my oral exam. A very interesting book about the fuction of a polis as both city and state.
    Proud supporter of The Fourth Age: Total War
    Mod Realms - News about and home for fantastical and historical mods
    The Chamber of Records - The site dedicated to the Lore of J.R.R. Tolkien
    - The Hearts Of Men Find No Comfort In Peace ... -

Burns: I still have a hard time figuring out what the heck his name is or means...
    Apoc: Yes, I have wondered that, as well. A Google search brought up:
    Wimpy Tjeh: The great Belgian warrior, most famous for dropping his pants at the Battle of Someplaceinbelgumandnotinthenetherlands, and shouting to the Roman archers: 'Here's a target for jeh!' Also known as Wimpy of the Sore Ass.

Blog Entries

It's a collection of many artefacts from all over Afghanistan, it's not just Baktrian (as in Greco-Baktrians) items, there is plenty of Saka, Yeuhzi/Kushan and other culture's stuff too. I hope to be able to see it before it closes (17 of July), although I might not have the time.

http://www.britishmuseum.org/whats_o...ghanistan.aspx
    I might just be able to get down to see it then, as I have to be in Kent for university business on the 15th! Also, there's a sweet comic book shop just around the corner, which automatically makes any trip to the Museum worthwhile, regardless of how many times I've seen the marbles.

Alternatively, there's an exhibition of artefacts from Makedon, as well as a load of permanent exhibitions on trade in the Ancient World (i.e. lots of Bactrian stuff) in the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford - it's like a little cute British Museum (And I get in for free! Mwahaha)
    Last edited by Subotan; 06-03-2011 at 10:25.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Been reading the Pyrrhus' book (I'm at Asculum aftermath) and must say I'm enjoying it a lot...
    I like the "anthropological" aspect to explain his decisions, and making the Epirot Eagle an even more fascinating figure, trully a one man faction :P

that exhibit is definitely worth seeing if you can get to London. I saw it here in NYC two years ago when it was at the Metropolitan Museum. Unfortunately it appears that the British Museum is the last stop
    http://www.nationalgeographic.com/mi...re_to_see.html

I am currently reading The History of the Alans in the West by Bernard Bachrach

Anyone know if a good book on their eastern history?

Also finally found a copy of Studies in Christian Caucasian History by Cyrile Toumanoff. It's old but since it appears to be a source for a number of my other related books it should be worth a look.

Lost between books & coins Member DeathFinger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Constantius III View Post
    Well, the best books on the subject are today in French. If you can read Italian, there's Da Alessandro a Menandro. Il regno greco di Battriano from Omar Coloru (2009). If not, here's a link to the Bryn Mawr review of this book, better than nothing. One other good book is the India and the Hellenistic World of Klaus Karttunen (1997), less politic but more interesting on cultural contacts.

Without any surprises, google books has some nice ones too. Check for example Foreign Influences on Ancient India from Sagar. It's not just about Greeks in Central Asia, what's even better :p

Tarn is still a must-read, even if you cannot follow his chronology anymore.
    Last edited by DeathFinger; 06-24-2011 at 11:59.

I was thinking to buy Timothy D. Barnes - Constantine and Eusebius. Anyone read it?

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos View Post
    Been reading the Pyrrhus' book (I'm at Asculum aftermath) and must say I'm enjoying it a lot...
    I like the "anthropological" aspect to explain his decisions, and making the Epirot Eagle an even more fascinating figure, trully a one man faction :P
    Which one are you talking about?

And what do you mean by "anthropological" aspect? How can it explain decisions of a single person?

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel

I'm talking about Champion's book and by anthropological is how the author managed to describe Pyrrhus actions and behaviour thanks to his exiled experiences and his character...

For example his restlessness in peace (argued by his solely interest in war studies) to explain his incapability to "complete" his campaigns...
    Also the way he deployed elephants was learned at Ipsus...

Book is short, but imo very valid...

And yeah I should have used "psychological" maybe, I meant anthropological in it's social aspect, sorry :P
    Last edited by Arjos; 06-22-2011 at 18:32.

I see, you mean psychological issues. That's at least interesting though I would not overrate the influence of a sole person.

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel

It's more about how events and people he met shaped the general he turned to be...

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos View Post
    I'm talking about Champion's book and by anthropological is how the author managed to describe Pyrrhus actions and behaviour thanks to his exiled experiences and his character...

For example his restlessness in peace (argued by his solely interest in war studies) to explain his incapability to "complete" his campaigns...
    Also the way he deployed elephants was learned at Ipsus...

Book is short, but imo very valid...

And yeah I should have used "psychological" maybe, I meant anthropological in it's social aspect, sorry :P
    Ah good to know that it is indeed a good read. Can't wait for summer vacation.

RABO! Member Brave Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

Currently reading The Poison King which is a nice easy summer read.
    From Frontline for fixing siege towers of death
    x30 From mikepettytw for showing how to edit in game text.
    From Brennus for wit.

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Brave Sir Robin View Post
    Currently reading The Poison King which is a nice easy summer read.
    On Mithridates VI Eupator, right? I think I've read that book or at least parts of it in the past when working on a minor paper on the man.

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

I was looking for some books on early Byzantine history, particulary Justinian the Great. Anyone has some hints?
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

Just finished Stephan Fichtl's "Le Ville Celtique", very informative. Started Ian Ralston's "Celtic Foritifications" a day or two ago. Spent half of the year reading through Barry Cunliffe's Magnum Opus "Iron Age communities in Britain".

Can anyone recommend any good books about the Belgae aside from Stephan Fichtl's "Le Gaulois du Nord de Gaule"?

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

Just finished reading Xenophon's Anabasis and all I have to say is holy !!!! Why this has not been made into a movie I do not understand hahaha. Also finished The Annals by Tacitus and have been working on The Histories. (Most Emperors seem crazy, extremely paranoid, from his point of view.)

Quote Originally Posted by ayekides View Post
    Just finished reading Xenophon's Anabasis and all I have to say is holy !!!! Why this has not been made into a movie I do not understand hahaha. Also finished The Annals by Tacitus and have been working on The Histories. (Most Emperors seem crazy, extremely paranoid, from his point of view.)
    many modern movies are based on it like gangmembers trying to return to their turf trough enemy territory

sorry i hadn´t seen the youtube link but there are at least 10 others
    Last edited by moonburn; 06-27-2011 at 15:22.

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moonburn View Post
    many modern movies are based on it like gangmembers trying to return to their turf trough enemy territory

sorry i hadn´t seen the youtube link but there are at least 10 others
    Oh come on, comparing gangs with a Greek mercenary army.
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

don't be dense, the general idea remains. A group of warriors trapped in enemy territory after their connection to the region dies have to make it back home with lots of obstacles

THE WARRIORS is the best one though, easily. great film

Quote Originally Posted by Skullheadhq View Post
    Oh come on, comparing gangs with a Greek mercenary army.
    The Warriors is actually loosely based The Ten Thousand, very loosely though.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast