Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: What history book are you reading or planning to read?/ The history bookreview thread

Default Re: What history book are you reading or planning to read?/ The history bookreview th

Quote Originally Posted by Antiochus View Post
    I always thought that the Anabasis was the Xenophon self hero worship.

I went abroad for a prolonged stay some time ago (work stuff) and having packed my clothes had to decide on books for at least 2 months as I had to rent a house before other stuff could be sent on. Was an agonising choice and hurt me alot as I regard my books as friends. In the end I chose Neitzsche's Beyond Good and Evil (I have an MA in Philosophy), The Peloponnesian War (the Melian dialogue and Pericles funeral oration), Scullards From the Gracchi to Nero: A History of Rome from 133 BC to AD 68 (for how democracy can be messed up), Tolkiens Lays of Beleriand (for fun), and Anna Comnena's Alexiad (for her despising of the Normans).
    Last edited by SoFarSoGood; 07-21-2012 at 19:39.

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

Default Re: What history book are you reading or planning to read?/ The history bookreview th

Currently (in addition to the usual number of books on Iron Age Europe) "The Byzantine Revival 780-842" by Warren Treadgold. Only 5 pages and already learnt quite a bit.

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

A collection of William Faulkner's works, because each of them carries a little piece of history. *wink*
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

you mean the dude that wrote about ww1 the sapping and counter sapping part of the war and for the 1st time (at least for the 1st time i remember) wrote about a english dude giving a nice married french girl a cunnilingus ? that one ? if not i´m confusing him with another author i can´t recall :X

You dishonor the great Faulkner. This calls for crucifixion of the highest Roman caliber.
    Former Projects:

Member thankful for this post:

Vlixes 

yeah yeah yeah it´s like saying flaubert never wrotte about a stupid country girl (provençale) whose whims and imaturity get her husband to ruin his entire life after having betrayed him with a stupid playboy count or whatever

everyone writes about the litle things of life it´s how you read them/interpret them that trully matters

besides HEY at least i read the dude :X (yeah i can read me so lucky)

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Currently reading 'Dividing the spoils: The war for Alexander the Great's empire' by Robin Waterfield. It's quite interesting and is easy to read through.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

I will be reading The Vandals by Andrew Merrils and Richard Miles shortly, after which I may dig into my 4 volume History of Sicily by Edward Freeman if I can find the time.

can "here comes trouble" by michael moore be considered modern history ?

thats the last one i read moderatly aproaching history

now i´m reading bernard cornwell death of kings and it´s so good that i´m halfway trough it and i started reading it around 12 hours ago (i had to sleep in the meantime)

also does meantime means that the time is evil/mean ?

Quote Originally Posted by moonburn View Post
    also does meantime means that the time is evil/mean ?
    No. The mean in meantime comes from the definition of mean referring to the in-between/middle. An intermediary period.
    Former Projects:

Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    No. The mean in meantime comes from the definition of mean referring to the in-between/middle. An intermediary period.
    thanks i finished cornwell death of kings and went on to less historical literature but i gotta say the dude can writte

Blog Entries

post deleted
    Last edited by Hamata; 08-11-2012 at 19:09.

A professor - not even one of mine - recently recommended that I read Loos 1915 by Nick Lloyd and The Road to Verdun by Ian Ousby to shore up my knowledge of the Western Front between the "bookend campaigns". I'm kind of garbage on everything between (First) Ypres and MICHAEL, so these recs are welcome. It'll be nice to have something more recent than, say, Price of Glory (which was garbage). May write a review of both/either.
    Last edited by Constantius III; 08-12-2012 at 06:15.
    "The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Member thankful for this post:

Moros 

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel Member Kival's Avatar

I'm starting to read "Jurgen Miethke - Politiktheorie im Mittelalter. Von Thomas von Aquin bis Wilhelm von Ockham", translated: Theory of politics in the Middle Ages. From Thomas Aquinas to William of Ockham. It's an interesting but somewhat cumbersome read about the theoratical view of politics in the Middle Ages but there does not seem to exist any english translation of it.

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel

RABO! Member Brave Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kival View Post
    I'm starting to read "Jurgen Miethke - Politiktheorie im Mittelalter. Von Thomas von Aquin bis Wilhelm von Ockham", translated: Theory of politics in the Middle Ages. From Thomas Aquinas to William of Ockham. It's an interesting but somewhat cumbersome read about the theoratical view of politics in the Middle Ages but there does not seem to exist any english translation of it.
    Gee, I wonder why
    From Frontline for fixing siege towers of death
    x30 From mikepettytw for showing how to edit in game text.
    From Brennus for wit.

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Brave Sir Robin View Post
    Gee, I wonder why
    Hm? Is this topic of no interest in the historical research and/or political sciences of english speaking countries?

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel

people just assume the prince by nicolo is all they need :\

Quote Originally Posted by moonburn View Post
    people just assume the prince by nicolo is all they need :\
    He's not really medieval, though. At best you can call it late medieval.

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kival View Post
    He's not really medieval, though. At best you can call it late medieval.
    personally, I'd call it timeless. It shows just how little things have really changed.

though IIRC, it was supposedly written to "troll" the people it referred to... so goes one school of thought.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

after reading it i just consider it very patriotic of someone being tired of being bullyed by the big bully´s and wanting to unite the entire peninsula so they could stop their inferiority complex and stoped being picked on by france germany or spain problem was uniting italy meant undermining the church secular power

Default DE REBVS MILITVM

Hello guys,

i strongly suggest this book: http://www.arsdimicandi.net/ad_1_g000378.pdf

It is a wonderful study (this is the first book of a series, this one's about monarchy legions), very interesting.
    Unfortunately for many, it is in italian language..

Quote Originally Posted by Heir_of_Alexander View Post
    I wanna get Bezalel Bar Kochva`s The Seleucid Army: Tactics and Organization during the Great Campaigns.

What do you guys think about it?
    I am reading it right now and I find it very interesting and thorough (i am not a professional historian or anything similar... i just love reading history books... so my opinion is only my opinion). It is pretty old I guess (1976 i believe) but quite enjoyable, I definitely recommend it.
    -Silentium... mandata captate; non vos turbatis; ordinem servate; bando sequute; memo demittat bandum et inimicos seque;
    Parati!
    -Adiuta...
    -...DEUS!!!

Completed EB Campaigns on VH/M: ALL... now working for EBII!

Quote Originally Posted by Oh! TheLastDays! View Post
    Bengt Hägglund - History of Theology (Basically a book on church history, concentrating on the development of different doctrinal views)
    Good book if one is interested in that kinda stuff

If anyone could recommend a book about Pre-Alexander Middle East (Assyria, Babylon...), I'd be grateful
    "A History of the Ancient Near East" by Marc Van De Mieroop. Interestingly claims the Medes never actually had an empire despite ancient greek impression that there was and it was grand.

I just saw it has been recommended to you by more than one ppl on the forum :) . A good choice then.
    Last edited by kdrakak; 11-12-2012 at 08:38. Reason: I just saw it has been recommended to you by more than one ppl on the forum :)
    -Silentium... mandata captate; non vos turbatis; ordinem servate; bando sequute; memo demittat bandum et inimicos seque;
    Parati!
    -Adiuta...
    -...DEUS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jackie_fish View Post
    You should read these books they are really good.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...l_5zufi2wbbh_b

Would this be considered history?
    Parati!
    -Adiuta...
    -...DEUS!!!

[QUOTE=Cyclops;2053302977]Keep going back to Robin Lane Fox, the guy is a tweedy provacateur. Love it.

The classical world. an epic history of greece and rome. Robin Lane Fox

A wonderful book with a slightly different than usual take on presentation. Absolutely loved it!!! It was given to me by one of the author's friends under somewhat odd circumstances. Very very good.
    Parati!
    -Adiuta...
    -...DEUS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Constantius III View Post
    Interesting that you say that Goldsworthy's for "amateurs and beginners" and then state you're reading Norwich and Ward-Perkins.

Treadgold, Haldon and Vasiliev would be the Byzantine texts for a properly hardcore hobby-historian.

I would second that. Definetely the best choices and probably by far...
    Parati!
    -Adiuta...
    -...DEUS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fomalhaut View Post
    Just about to finish "Caesar's Legion", the history of the X Legio by Stephen Dando Collins. Pretty good, meant for a general audience as it's very readable but i think it serves rather than detracts from the history. i wouldn't expect a book about a specific legion to be anything but meant for casual lovers of history

The life and death of Centurion Crastinus was the most memorable part, "In death or life, Caesar, I will earn you gratitude!"
    :(
    Legions of Rome by Dando Collins is a brief history of all roman legions (imperial) and focuses on the military aspects rather than history. EB fans might find it more interesting because of that.
    Parati!
    -Adiuta...
    -...DEUS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stark View Post
    Has anyone read Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield? The book is fantastic, but is it realistic? Did he show Spartan society as correctly as he could with available information?
    yes and no. but it's fiction not history.
    Parati!
    -Adiuta...
    -...DEUS!!!

Does anybody know a decent book an Meroe? I just want something basic about their history,
    nothing too deep into the subject. My university´s library doesn´t offer much.A German book would be OK, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Biowulf View Post
    A few months ago I read The Celtic Empire, The First Millenium of Celtic History 1000BC - 51 AD by Peter B. Ellis, and from there I began reading Henri Hubert's books on the Celts but I didn't have the time to finish them (they were from the library). Those were very good and I wish I had more time with them because I love reading about the Celts.
    I also began China Through the Ages: History of a Civilization by Franz Michael. It's a good overview and beginning point of one wanted to study China. A pity I have to return it, too.
    Just got a used copy of The Celtic Empire by Ellis. It is in excellent condition, it probably has not been read, as the gentleman who sold me the book wrote in a note. There is an actual picture of the Waterloo Bridge helmet (the one that the Casse captains wear). A picture of a shield was also quite familiar from a number of units like the Botroas, which proves just how good a job the EB team has done.
    Getting the book in the mail, as well as the note from the seller, made my day this morning.
    Last edited by kdrakak; 11-26-2012 at 20:47.
    Parati!
    -Adiuta...
    -...DEUS!!!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast