Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Preview: The Boii (III)

Default Re: Preview: The Boii (III)

Quote Originally Posted by nazgool View Post
    Great job as always, especially Mogeto Epathias. I've also noticed something new for me.
    Who are these warriors in the left side of this picture? :) https://img841.imageshack.us/i/27572660.jpg/.
    That unit will be previewed sometime in the future

More pics of Boii units in action. Note that all those units have been previewed before, but some of them have been reskinned.

Member Member stratigos vasilios's Avatar

Awesome shots! I particularly like the second and sixth from the bottom.
    We love you because you died and resurrected to save us...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    We love you Goku!

These guys look great! But, will there be a modesty patch?

Very beautiful screens. I've noticed that on some of them there are Getai units. Could you publish more screenshots of them?:). I know that the last two previews of Getai include plenty of them but the screen above have better quality :).

from Brave Brave Sir Robin
    from Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

Awesome screenies. Ohhhh goodness, why doth you tempt so?

Man, those naked guys look really intimidating! Imagine being a roman or greek soldier on the line, being charged by crazy naked guys...dammit!
    Likstrandens ormar som spyr blod och etter, Ni som blint trampar Draugs harg
    På knä I Eljudne mottag död mans dom, Mot död och helsvite, ert öde och pinoplats

It wasn't mentioned in the preview, but I think it's interesting to say nevertheless : the gaisatoi in EB2 will have only 1 HP, and thus won't be the ultimate naked tanks they used to be in EB1. They will be still quite powerful, though, but now arrows and javelins really hurt them.

THANK GOD! There are probably only two things one could criticize EB's historicity about, the first must be lost to history and will never be known by all but those who were there, and the second is the Gaesatae superhumans, like the vannila bezerkers. Now all we need is a time machine and EBII will be perfect.
    Last edited by Populus Romanus; 04-27-2011 at 22:08. Reason: Fixed smilie

Quote Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
    It wasn't mentioned in the preview, but I think it's interesting to say nevertheless : the gaisatoi in EB2 will have only 1 HP, and thus won't be the ultimate naked tanks they used to be in EB1. They will be still quite powerful, though, but now arrows and javelins really hurt them.
    Quite interesting. Does this mean that these guys will not be chemical imbibing people, but instead just awesome spearmen? I ask this because in the EB1 description it seems like it was the chemicals which made them "seemingly impervious to pain" and then have 2 hps. It did not say anything about it in the preview, but i guess that those chemicals where some sort of +1 hp potion or something :D

The question is. Will the gaisatoi in EB2 not be using drugs due to the hp reduction, or would it just be unreallistic that they have 2 hp anyways?
    "It is better to die as a roman than to live as a barbarian"
    "He who gives everything for Rome, can still give his life"
    "Through the enslaving, expelling, occupying or bribing of our enemies. We prevail."
    (Stolen blatantly from the "Dawn of war" Games!)

Quote Originally Posted by teoman10 View Post
    Quite interesting. Does this mean that these guys will not be chemical imbibing people, but instead just awesome spearmen? I ask this because in the EB1 description it seems like it was the chemicals which made them "seemingly impervious to pain" and then have 2 hps. It did not say anything about it in the preview, but i guess that those chemicals where some sort of +1 hp potion or something :D

The question is. Will the gaisatoi in EB2 not be using drugs due to the hp reduction, or would it just be unreallistic that they have 2 hp anyways?
    Well, the chance that the entire group took drugs before battle is virtually nonexistent - that being said the berserk 'ethos' in Iron Age Europe among the Celtic and Germanic tribes is without a doubt real. Therefore in EB2 there's no Gaisatoi=drug connection, just professional warriors doing their job. A Celtic berserk/fanatic unit has been conceptualized, and if there was to be any ritualistic drug use/smoke inhalation/mushroom eating warriors of what have you, it would probably be among them and not the Gaisatoi but, of course, the majority of these guys would work themselves into a frenzy naturally through rhythmic chants and things like that, not mass drug use. So the drug connection in EB is severed almost completely, allowing only a small minority within a unit to be given the small chance that some of their number might be under such influences. 1 hit point for all though.

very good to hear!!! If not for the one hp the Gaisatoi would of been anti cavalry killing machines with their spears and 2hp!!!!

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

That sounds all right, afterall they were referred to as mercenaries, doubt every community would be glad to hire drugged fanatics, if so we need to get our hands on that recipie XD

Quote Originally Posted by Power2the1 View Post
    Well, the chance that the entire group took drugs before battle is virtually nonexistent - that being said the berserk 'ethos' in Iron Age Europe among the Celtic and Germanic tribes is without a doubt real. Therefore in EB2 there's no Gaisatoi=drug connection, just professional warriors doing their job. A Celtic berserk/fanatic unit has been conceptualized, and if there was to be any ritualistic drug use/smoke inhalation/mushroom eating warriors of what have you, it would probably be among them and not the Gaisatoi but, of course, the majority of these guys would work themselves into a frenzy naturally through rhythmic chants and things like that, not mass drug use. So the drug connection in EB is severed almost completely, allowing only a small minority within a unit to be given the small chance that some of their number might be under such influences. 1 hit point for all though.
    Sounds great!

I do have one question though, will the EB1 Uirodusios be present ingame, and if so will they merely be a less professional Gaisatoi?
    As a pleasant sidenote, a Celtic berserker unit sounds awsome!

Quote Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
    Sounds great!

I do have one question though, will the EB1 Uirodusios be present ingame, and if so will they merely be a less professional Gaisatoi?
    As a pleasant sidenote, a Celtic berserker unit sounds awsome!
    Yes they will. Probably not in first release though.

Thanks for the quick reply Gustave, everything looks amazing!

I will be going to Bohemia this summer. Is the Stradonice site worth seeing? I'll be in Southern Bohemia, but I think I can get there fairly easily.

Another thing, just since you're implementing new unit names and spelling, I always wondered why the r's are pronounced as alveolar approximants ("English" r) in your Celtic commands. Is there some sort of evidence for this, or is it because it might as well have been how they pronounced their r's?
    ξυνòς 'Evυáλιoς κaí τε κτανéoντα κατéκτα
    Alike to all is the War God, and him who would kill he kills. (Il. 18.309)

With the commands in EB1, the Celtic guy(s) in charge of the words and pronuciations are not around anymore, so we're not for sure how accurate the commands are/were. EB2 will most likely have a whole set of different commands eventually.

Another thing to note is that pronunciation tends to have a bias towards whatever the limits of the native language of the speaker. Take ancient Greek for example: a French person will have difficulty with the Greek phi, an Englishman won't know what to do with an upsilon, a Japanese will struggle with the rho and a Greek will mess up in other ways since the alphabet simply doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to him...
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 04-28-2011 at 23:10.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

So, I guess we can expect that the EB1 Gaesatae's godly morale of 22 will be given to this "berserk/fanatic" unit, and the gaisatoi will retain 17 or 18?

with the gaesatae diference from eb1 it seems they´re only slighty better uirodusius so maybe combine them into 1 single unit and give gaesatae a few more chevrons :? makes sence to me unleass you´ll use gaesatae as dressed up elite units (i´ve always defended that the gaesatae are a kind of monk warriors wich had many diferent fighting styles and that naked one was just one of them )

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    Another thing to note is that pronunciation tends to have a bias towards whatever the limits of the native language of the speaker. Take ancient Greek for example: a French person will have difficulty with the Greek phi, an Englishman won't know what to do with an upsilon, a Japanese will struggle with the rho and a Greek will mess up in other ways since the alphabet simply doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to him...
    Yea, I was wondering if the lines had been read by an English-speaker.
    To me it would seem like a trill or flap would be more natural, but I'm no linguist.
    ξυνòς 'Evυáλιoς κaí τε κτανéoντα κατéκτα
    Alike to all is the War God, and him who would kill he kills. (Il. 18.309)

Thumbs up Re: Preview: The Boii (III)

Well, I think I've been lurking for too long and its time to show some apreciation to the great EB team (While I rarely post here I've been around since EB 0.9 and check this forums and the twitter almost daily).
    Atonishing work (as we can always expect from the EB team :P) Can't wait to see the new and reworked factions in action and what else do you have in the sleeve!
    But I must wait, since perfection is the soul of EB and perfection takes time. But it worths it

Also, the information in the previews (as surelly will be ingame's) is perfect to those who, like me are very interested in classic story but due to many other interests and ocupations can't spend much time investigating it. Eagerly waiting to see the new material in the Lusos (and other iberians) cause even for a Portuguese isnt so easy to get much knowlage on them, thanks EB for filling that void

will the boii forçe for diferent requirements in the celtik reforms and will the arevaci be counted as kelts ?

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moonburn View Post
    will the boii forçe for diferent requirements in the celtik reforms and will the arevaci be counted as kelts ?
    I am sorry, but what do you mean by "counted as Celts"? Recruitment in EB2 will not resemble that of EB1, so doubtlessly the reforms will be very different too.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

ridiculously suspicious Member TheLastDays's Avatar

Did I miss something? Are the Arevaci confirmed?
    I hear the voice of the watchmen!

New Mafia Game: Hunt for The Fox

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Rahwana's Avatar
    Abduct Shinta, and doing something bad with her
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos View Post
    That sounds all right, afterall they were referred to as mercenaries, doubt every community would be glad to hire drugged fanatics, if so we need to get our hands on that recipie XD
    Hannibaal

BTW, Gaisatoi with 1 HP? duh, for historical accuracy, this is good, but in gameplay terms, we all lost our ol' favourite nudist monster
    Angkara Murka di Macapada

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Quote Originally Posted by Rahwana View Post
    Hannibaal
    I was saying that in reality, most likely they were highly prized warriors due to they professionality and elan due to religious beliefs...

Anyway moving on, I've read recently about a "coral trading route" from Naples to central Europe, would this be implemented similar to the amber one?

Nice! Didn't notice this preview before.

A thing I like from the pictures is that in some you see them holding javs but in others not. Is that because javs disappear after beeing trown?

Gaisatai look fearsome in that battle pic vs the dacians. Interesting that they will be 1HP with spear and javelin. I gues they will still cause fear?

So there will be a Uirodusios unit and a Celtic berserker unit besides the Gaisatai?

Also, will the Germanic Ulfhednar or Germanic Berserkers take an appearance in this? As you said there definately was a berserker ethos among the Celts and Germanic peoples.

Quote Originally Posted by Phalanx300 View Post
    Nice! Didn't notice this preview before.

A thing I like from the pictures is that in some you see them holding javs but in others not. Is that because javs disappear after beeing trown?

Gaisatai look fearsome in that battle pic vs the dacians. Interesting that they will be 1HP with spear and javelin. I gues they will still cause fear?

So there will be a Uirodusios unit and a Celtic berserker unit besides the Gaisatai?

Also, will the Germanic Ulfhednar or Germanic Berserkers take an appearance in this? As you said there definately was a berserker ethos among the Celts and Germanic peoples.
    Yeah, the weapon disappears after being thrown. Only one of the Celtic nude units will be pegged as a true fanatic/berserk/religious type (although most any Celt going to war surely had some war deity they solemnly prayed to before battle and graciously thanked afterwards if they survived), but that fanatic unit will probably be a bit smaller in number than the average Celtic unit. The plan is for all of the nude units possessing the fear causing effect. As for the Germanic unit question, I'll plead the 5th, but some answers might be revealed sooner than you know

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast