Thread: stupid idea is stupid or just original ?

Cool stupid idea is stupid or just original ?

seing a report in bbc news (wierd people will be wierd right) i saw an interesting platform called kickstarters

maybe people could create something similar ? then maybe like that eb could hire a few freelancers to work for a month on where they believe it´s needed the most

kickstarters as explained by that histerical/historical plebeian michael moore is a platform where the connesseurs go and see projects and then gift money to those they would like to be seen

it´s only for movies i think but hey i bet there´s a crapload of independent game labs and a crapload of gamers who wouldn´t mind donating and receiving donations just to be part of it and finally play a game they wanna play

eb as 1 big disadvantage (if such a site/platform exists) wich is the fact that it´s a mod and not a new game

on the other hand it has the big advantage of giving people a secure donation since it as already proven it´s worth

just my 2 cents and maybe this can help someone start up a deal (and a few programers/designers to take off on their projects)

personally i have a great project for a MMorpg but since i don´t know crap about programing i will never see it come trough so i will keep it for myself

p.S: this is not directed at the team per se but at the comunity since i can´t program and don´t have much time maybe i can be usefull as a individual think tank since i do smoke alot of crap and when that happens i get some pretty original ideas
    Last edited by moonburn; 04-29-2012 at 22:51. Reason: the P.S:

Default Re: stupid idea is stupid or just original ?

this reminded me

is there any site where we can hire freelancer programers ? should be interesting if there where and they had a ranking (misthophoroi programikoi/designatikoi ) it could work like mercenaries for hire the best cost more so you would always find someone in your priçe range

i better stop before i start questioning the meaning of life and start quoting schopenhaus :X

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

There's this website its called kickstarter.com. There are many contract websites but usually Indians will undercut everyone by offering to do a job for $7. I'd stay away from them since they tend to churn out a poor product (functional but unmaintainable).
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Freelancers cost money, and its not like they could just jump straight into the work. Not really an feasible idea.

well i guess i´m a creative idiot :\

but for instance skining and design should be feasible to create a 1000 euros prize for whoever gets the best results on creating a unit and then just spamming design schools to see who wants to participate should be a pretty nice way to get several quality works

money will never satisfy people as much as a winning a competition

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

that system doesn't really seem to suit the way we create units. Our way is needed to keep our standards of historical correctness.

well moros if you want talent to recruit later you need something to spark them

you (the team) yourself admited you´re expecting that the gaza campaign release will bring in a new fresh vigour to finish the .x versions that will take the game to the desired perfection within the game engine limitations

also with the hability to have several textures shouldn´t it be nice to have several portrays of the same unit (a greek phallanx needs more tall short fat and slim dudes they all seem the same :X )

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

The only ones we can use are those who are really motivated and want to commit because of that. Unless you keep on paying them it's not going to happen if they aren't fan in some way already. Unmotivated people don't just not help us, they also kill other members' motivation, ruin workplan, cost us time and additional work,... Also models or skins made for a contest can't be used and would only limit our time to work on useful material.

Textures don't allow variations in lenght or body weight. Giving all units different sizes would increase the work tenfold. Now we can limit work by reusing model parts and all. I think we have more urgent things to focus on.

Sorry to sound so negative. But at least that's my opinion.
    Last edited by Moros; 05-05-2012 at 01:25.

i prefer creative criticism anyway all that crap about constructive criticism seems hapocritical to me so i prefer the trufh and sorry to waste your time when you are working for my future enjoyment

Quote Originally Posted by moonburn View Post
    it could work like mercenaries for hire the best cost more so you would always find someone in your priçe range
    The real problem is sailing all the way to Cape Tainaron...
    One balloon for not being Roman

0 A.D. is an open source RTS game also developed by volunteers. A while a go they had a fund raiser to "hire" one of their programmers. He was payed a salary for a month, so he didn't have to go to "real work" to support himself, and he could concentrate on working for the project.
    Call me Ruma. Puupertti Ruma.