Thread: Can't play single player due to no internet connection? %$#@#@%$#@!!!

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

Default Can't play single player due to no internet connection? %$#@#@%$#@!!!

Trying to open S2TW when have no internet connection. So, Steam keeps trying to open, then gives me an error message because I have no internet connection. Then it gives me an option to start in offline mode, which I say yes to, then it gives me an error message saying that Steam can not perform the operation in offline mode.

This is especially frustrating for me because I have never been, and never will be interested in playing any TW games in multiplayer mode. I'm strictly a single player kind of guy.

Someone please tell me how to fix this. I beg of you...
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

Default Re: Can't play single player due to no internet connection? %$#@#@%$#@!!!

Is this installing the game or playing after you went through the full install?

I think (nothing certain) you need an internet connection to "initialize" the game; Steam and your installation have to communicate.

I am able to play it "offline" even with my internet connection "off" (router turned off breaking connection)

I just remember that during set-up the game did a lot through the Steam client; good luck!
    Ja-mata TosaInu

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Default Re: Can't play single player due to no internet connection? %$#@#@%$#@!!!

The offline mode of steam is incredibly round-about and annoyingly implemented. Its by far the worst feature of the service. My advice to get it working properly is to log in to steam normally, then switch to offline mode. You can do this by bringing up the main steam window, clicking on the "steam" tab, and then selecting "Go offline"

The next time you start steam it should then default to offline.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

@OP

I know I have had the same trouble. For what ever reason you lose your net connection and you want to play.

You have to go to the offline mode while you are online. It has ticked me off to no end at times.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Senior Member Senior Member Graphic's Avatar

You have to put in and save your login information while online before you can use it while completely offline. After you do that you never need to be online again.

I was offline for about six months and had full access to my steam games the entire time.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    The offline mode of steam is incredibly round-about and annoyingly implemented. Its by far the worst feature of the service. My advice to get it working properly is to log in to steam normally, then switch to offline mode. You can do this by bringing up the main steam window, clicking on the "steam" tab, and then selecting "Go offline"

The next time you start steam it should then default to offline.
    Your not kidding about it being convoluted. I got there in the end though. Thankyou Monk.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."