Thread: Visit Romania!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Visit Romania!

Romania.

The land of Count Dracula, Gheorghe Hagi and Ilie Nastase, George Enescu and Nadia Comaneci, Constantin Brancusi and Hertha Muller, Lucian Bute and Daniel Negreanu, Stefan Odobleja and Nicolae Paulescu, Henri Coanda and Aurel Vlaicu and even George Pomutz, an American Civil War general. You may or may not have heard of the people I listed above but in their respective fields all of them have made a considerable impact.

And all of them come from a country in Eastern Europe called Romania.

Many of you have heard about this Eastern European country and with this thread I hope to shed a light on the beauty of Romania and hopefully help you make a decision with regards to a possible visit.

To start off the thread, I will present a couple of quick facts to make a better idea about Romania.

The first remains of human activity in Romania are from 42000 years ago, from the "Cave With Bones", and the earliest known written evidence of people living in the area are from Herodotus's writings mentioning the local tribes called "Getae". The Dacian Kingdoms which controlled the area later on were conquered by the Roman Empire and colonised in 106AD. Later on, the first medieval kingdom in Romania was founded in 1330 and up until the Declaration of Independence in 1878 with a new Kingdom of Romania, the territories in modern day Romania have been either independent or under foreign rule.

The creation of the Kingdom of Romania in 1878 under the reign of King Carol (Karl) I ensured stability and prosperity that culminated with the creation of Greater Romania in 1918, comprising of Wallachia, Moldavia, Transylvania, Bucovina, the Quadrilater and Bessarabia. After World War 2, Romania was a Communist country, led by Gheorghe Ghiorghiu Dej and later on by the infamous Nicolae Ceausescu.

Since the fall of the Communist Revolution in 1989, Romania has made the transition to democracy using a system of bi-chamber Parliament and a unitary semi-presidential republic with the capital in Bucharest and under the guidance of the current incumbent Traian Basescu.

And without further ado, here's some wonderful pictures taken from a great Facebook page called "273 places you have to visit in Romania."

http://www.facebook.com/273.ro

Bodi Lake

Calimani Plateau

Corcoaiei Gorges

Peles Castle - built by King Carol I

Dawn at Costinesti, Black Sea

Postavaru Plateau, 1600m

Brasov - The Black Church, centered

Curtea de Arges Cathedral

Bran Castle - Dracula's wrongly attributed residence (Vlad Tepes's castle was Poenari)

Sucevita Monastery

Viscri Monastery - Prince Charles recently bought a house in the commune

The thread will be frequently updated with more pictures, couple of videos and other information regarding Romania, including a special lengthy post about the capital Bucharest, so stay tuned. :thumbsup2

Furthermore, if you wish to visit Romania, do not hesitate to post in this thread. I'd be more than happy to give you information where to go, what to visit, where to stay... :)

Here is the official website of the Romanian tourism - http://www.romaniatourism.com/

Thank you and I hope you enjoyed this.
    Last edited by edyzmedieval; 12-01-2011 at 00:43.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Member thankful for this post:

Default Re: Visit Romania!

Those are some beautiful pictures, I'm just afraid it doesn't look like that all around the year.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

Beautiful pictures indeed! I watched a TV show once about Dracula and these fellow spent the night in that Dracula castle atop a mountain an looked for ghosts and such. Very scary! The coutryside was quite inviting, even in the evening, despite the ghosts of tradgedys past lurking about! :O
    Silence is beautiful

Gorgeous! That second picture just knocked my socks off. Thanks for sharing you beautiful country with us edyz.
    This space intentionally left blank

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

WIMMENZ
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    WIMMENZ

At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Those are some beautiful pictures, I'm just afraid it doesn't look like that all around the year.
    Sure it does, just a minor modification called extreme weather (very hot in the summer, very cold in the winter...this winter it was freezing)

WIMMENZ
    Ok, ok, that too

I'm glad you guys are enjoying it. I'll put more pictures up, including one with Little Paris (Bucharest).
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?