Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Visit Romania!

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default Re: Visit Romania!

Do you sell Dracula merchandise?
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Wow, Frag, that "heh" is really Dutch. What can I say, I was born in Utrecht, and all my mom's family is still over there, either by Utrecht or Nieuwegein.

I would love to see Romania. I did not realize till recently that Romanian is a Romance language, was listening to their national anthem. It would be really neat to see where Trajan fought, and of course the countryside would be nice to see too.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Do you sell Dracula merchandise?
    I have little doubt you will find such. I would also not be surprised if they were selling wood from the "true stake" used by Tepes. Plus I remember readings something about them being big in the modern slave trade. Certainly that would be vampiric in character.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Prince of Wallachia Member Vlad Dracula's Avatar

Everyone knows Vlad Dracula made Romania even more famous and infamous he was a hero but to others a devil!

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    I have little doubt you will find such. I would also not be surprised if they were selling wood from the "true stake" used by Tepes. Plus I remember readings something about them being big in the modern slave trade. Certainly that would be vampiric in character.
    You will find a ton of merchandise like that, especially by the Bran Castle. Everything is merchandised - caps, t shirts, mugs, you name it, they offer to sell it.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    You will find a ton of merchandise like that, especially by the Bran Castle. Everything is merchandised - caps, t shirts, mugs, you name it, they offer to sell it.
    I assumed so. I grew up in a beach resort town, and removing as much money from the wallets of tourists as painlessly as possible was -- pardon the pun in context -- our lifeblood.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

To be fair, since the whole topic is so wildly popular, not capitalising on it would be a real shame and an annoyance for tourists who want souvenirs.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

To be fair, since the whole topic is so wildly popular, not capitalising on it would be a real shame and an annoyance for tourists who want souvenirs.
    Absolutely. At least when they stop taking selfies long enough to actually a) see something of Romania, and b) realize that life is not just getting a picture.

Member thankful for this post:

Absolutely. At least when they stop taking selfies long enough to actually a) see something of Romania, and b) realize that life is not just getting a picture.
    Instead of taking time to enjoy beauty, they want their friends to see what they are doing, and using selfies puts the focus on them, not the scenery. As if life consists of status updates.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

Well, to be fair, people were taking pictures of themselves at landmarks before, except that nowadays we do it more than before

Bran Castle (the castle in question) is so popular that in 2016 it received 600.000 visitors.

Proud

Been to:

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Dracula View Post
    Everyone knows Vlad Dracula made Romania even more famous and infamous he was a hero but to others a devil!
    Well impaling people (that's cruel lol) and catapulting plague-victims or letting plague infiltrate is kinda mean. Using disease as a weapon is kinda brilliant though, brilliant but kinda sadistic

A lot of the details are pretty much made up in legends. There's considerable exaggeration with regards to the local Saxon chronicles, despite them having historical basis (real eyewitness accounts).

However, Vlad was an enemy of the local Saxon merchants - so they had a good reason to publish all sorts of stories about him.

Proud

Been to:

Bucharest today.

Last edited by edyzmedieval; 06-06-2017 at 21:20.

Proud

Been to:

Lovely

Thank thee.

It's really beautiful now, all summery and gorgeous.

Proud

Been to:

Painted eggs are a Romanian tradition, and since Easter was just last weekend, here's a little tidbit of info.

https://www.uncover-romania.com/attr...-painted-eggs/

Proud

Been to:

Painted eggs are a Romanian tradition, and since Easter was just last weekend, here's a little tidbit of info.

https://www.uncover-romania.com/attr...-painted-eggs/
    My wife and daughter want us to go to Transylvania this summer. What are some good suggestions for must sees (me big history buff; them emphatically not)?

My wife and daughter want us to go to Transylvania this summer. What are some good suggestions for must sees (me big history buff; them emphatically not)?
    Hi Seamus.

Glad you're coming over to visit!

I'm going to split this up between For The Fam and For You, so it's easier to see.

For the Fam

• go for a walk in Sibiu, the European Capital of Culture for 2016 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sibiu )
    • Sighisoara - must see, the oldest inhabited fortress, a walled city with a lot of charm
    • visit Viscri - Prince Charles's spot in Transylvania
    • Brasov + the famous Black Church ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biserica_Neagr%C4%83 )
    • Bran Castle - the famous place for Bram Stoker's inspiration, totally unconnected to Vlad Tepes
    • have a little walk around Oradea, a beautiful Habsburgic town
    • watch the change of guard in Alba Iulia - a Vauban fortress called Alba Carolina and a town of huge historical importance (unification of Greater Romania happened there)
    • Timisoara - some old charm, some new charm, cute little city

For You

• Poenari Castle - walk up 1400 steps to Vlad Tepes's real castle, in between Transylvania and Wallachia
    • Rasnov Fortress - must see, close to Brasov, a wonderful hilltop fortress built by locals in the 13th century
    • Viscri - it has a really old fortress-like church from the 15h century
    • Prejmer Fortified Church - a whole wall built in a half circle around the church - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prejmer_fortified_church
    • Calnic Castle - a peasant built fortress, with a guard tower in it's midst, surrounded by sleepy hills and old houses

Little tip - if you go by car, have a look at Gurasada Church. It's a fantastic little church built in the 1280's, a local village church, full of charm and beauty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurasa...rasada,_HD.jpg

Proud

Been to:

This thread is now more than 7 years old - thank you to everyone who viewed and hopefully visited Romania.

https://www.travelagentcentral.com/d...viest-building

Proud

Been to:

This thread is now more than 7 years old - thank you to everyone who viewed and hopefully visited Romania.

https://www.travelagentcentral.com/d...viest-building

Had to reschedule our trip for another year. Daughter needed car.

Had to reschedule our trip for another year. Daughter needed car.
    Flights are cheap to Romania, RyanAir flies often.

Proud

Been to:

Last edited by edyzmedieval; 06-17-2018 at 17:22.

Proud

Been to:

A candid winter shot.

Taken from here -> https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Proud

Been to:

Hey, someone's visiting Romania.

Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Speaking of Untold...

Proud

Been to:

1st of December was the National Day of Romania!

To mark this, I just want to say that last week on the 1st of December Romania celebrated 100 years since the Great Union.

Happy Birthday my beloved country!

Proud

Been to:

Happy Centennial!
    This space intentionally left blank

Thank you Gregoshi!

Seeing that it's Christmas, here's some ideas on how we celebrate it

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/ro...ate-christmas/

https://www.uncover-romania.com/attr...as-traditions/

Proud

Been to:

Goingthere next month, two perhaps
    , depends on mate, Ï wil buy you a drink of you apreciate it
    Last edited by Fragony; 12-30-2018 at 17:02.

You're coming to Romania, Frag? Wonderful!

When exactly? And where?

Proud

Been to:

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast