Thread: The Official Tosa Cup Tournament Thread - FINISHED

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Default The Official Tosa Cup Tournament Thread - FINISHED

Welcome to...

The Tosa Cup, sponsored by

Registration is now closed, and we're only a few hours away from the start of match play. I strongly recommend that you check this forum regularly throughout the entire duration of the tournament so that you are always aware of what is going on. The bracket has been randomly generated by the server, and it can be seen here. The final number of registrations was 74, which is a number that results in 10 more players than can be accounted for by a 'perfect' 64 person bracket. As such, there are 10 extra first round matches to make up for this odd distribution. That means 20 players will have to fight an extra round to win the tournament. I apologize if you are one of these 20 people, but this kind of setup is determined by math, not us. All bracket placements were determined randomly by the server, so there has been no bias in selecting the 20 people who have an extra round. The bracket is final and no changes were made to it; all placements were done randomly by the system.

As a reminder these are the Rules:
    1. All matches will be a best of 3 event. The first two battle will be played on the Lowlands map. If a 3rd battle is needed, it will be played on the Ricefields map.
    2. All battles played at 14k .
    3. Medium unit size.
    4. Weather: spring
    5. No artillery.
    6. No time limit
    7. Veterans allowed, no restrictions.
    8. All player must save their replays after every match.
    9. If you are not online to play at the proper time, you will forfeit.
    10. No key buildings

As should be clear with the strikethrough, there has been a revision to the rule regarding forfeiting if you are not online at the right time. We want to make sure this tournament is played out properly and fairly, and since there are so many players it may take people some time to find each other and get going. As such, we are going to be flexible on the time limit for playing matches. We urge all players to find their partners and play their matches as quickly as possible, but we will understand if everything doesn't work perfectly. If a large number of players have not been able to play their match by the end of Saturday night, we keep the round open until Sunday. If it is absolutely necessary (which I hope it won't be), we will extend the time frame to complete Round 1 to one full week. However, we are hopeful that this will go quickly and smoothly, and that most of the tournament can be completed by the end of this weekend.

To begin playing, do the following:
    1. Find the person you are currently matched up with on the bracket.
    2. Contact that person on the forums or OVER STEAM (preferred) and meet them to play your matches. Many players have linked their Org accounts to their Steam accounts. If they have a Steam icon () under their profile picture, you can click on it to contact them via Steam. If they do not have that icon on their profile, find their Steam name from the Registration thread.
    3. Fight your matches in accordance with the Rules above.
    4. SAVE ALL OF YOUR REPLAYS! Send the replays to one of Gamemasters listed below. You can do this in any way you want (email, upload via the Org and PM link to the Gamemasters, upload via a file host website and PM/email link to the Gamemasters), as long as we get your replays.
    5. The losing player should go to the bracket page and click the Submit Loss button. If you are the winning player and the loser has not done this, contact one of the Gamemasters listed below and they will advance you after confirming the result (this is one of the reasons why it is important to save your replays!).
    6. Move on to the next round, and go back to #1 and repeat the process until the tournament is over.

GAMEMASTERS:
    TinCow
    Kocmoc
    AggonyKing

We will try and ensure that at least one Gamemaster is online at all times during the tournament, at least during the first critical weekend. We will be online BOTH on the forums AND on Steam. You can look for us in either place.

If you have any problems or have any questions about anything at any point during the tournament, contact a Gamemaster. We will answer all your questions and get you any help you need.

Prizes:
    The prizes are:
    1. A signed Collector's Edition of Total War: Shogun 2, donated by Creative Assembly
    2. A $50 game of the winner's choice from any direct download service, donated by The Org.
    3. A TWS2 T-shirt, donated by Creative Assembly.

One prize will be awarded to each of the top three places. The first place player will get to pick whichever of the three they want. The second place player will get to pick whichever of the remaining two they want. The third place player will get the third prize.
    Last edited by TinCow; 06-05-2011 at 04:38.

Default Re: The Official Tosa Cup Tournament Thread

I hereby declare The Tosa Cup Tournament to be officially open! Let the battles commence!

Good luck to all players! Be skillful and honorable, both in on the battlefield and off-it.

I thought it would start at 19/20 GMT?

We're starting early. Like it says in the post, we're not going to be strict on the time limits. Starting early gives some people a chance to get matches done faster. If it takes more than this weekend to get the tournament done, we'll just extend it.

NOTICE: Shaka has withdrawn from the tournament. His slot on the bracket has been taken by Valkirei.

What happens if my opponents doesnt show up at 20 gmt?

So I've been waiting for 40 minutes now. When I first started waiting my opponent was online and when I contacted him through steam they went "away" then they came back awhile later and after attempting to contact them again they went "offline."

I have to make an complain here. Although the intensions of this tournament are well and honest, and the idea is damn cool (i always loved the rtw gamespy 1-day tourneys) and youre courtesy to extend the time limit sounds honarable, it just dont work this way gents. This is supposed to be a 1-day tourney, a tourney like old good old (or not so good old) gamespy 1-day tournaments. Everyone who joined knew it started at 20gmt today, today i had a mail it suddenly started earlier, and now i see its official that if there are many no-showers, the round just get extended. This isnt the way how a 1-day tourney should be done. Do you expect from the people who actually didnt went out, or stopped other things to play this tourney on time to wait untill 3 am to see if the opponent is showing up? Do you expect me to do the same thing tomorrow, and i even saw you want us to do it again next week? Then what is the purpose of calling it a 1-day tournament?

I have to be honest here, although i dont know yet how many matches are played, this looks like a fail. If my opponent dont show up in 1 hour you got 2 choices, DQ him, or i forfeit. I think my clanm8 will do the same. Maybe the organising way was to ambitieus,, letting people sign up, no punishments for no-showers... in gamespy times the hosts of the tourney just went online, and everyone in the lobby who wanted to play just had to sign up live (of cource the tourney had to be promoted everywhere first), well, you dont got 70-100 participents that way true, but there were always around 30-50, and most of them were the top-notch players anyway. The tourney admins either make starting hard decisions (yes, DQ proably over half of the participants, and give them an official warning or ban them for future editions), or this tourney will fail in its purpose, to be a 1-day tourney.

Anyone who thought this could be done in 1 day is being pretty optimistic. As long as there is some form of cutoff point for games to played by, there seems nothing to stop people organising themselves.

Having said that, I would expect people to get their first round matches done over the weekend at least
    O4B / Masked

It happened in the past, but then it was done by people who were online already, they had to sign up at the gamespy website while they were online in the RTW lobby at the given time the tourney started. It went fast, and if people lefted, well, a DQ immidietly, simple as that.

If you extent the period to a weekend, then the whole piont of this tourney setup failed. I am not gonna wait an entire weekend until my opponent joins tonight or tomorrow at 3 am, knowing thats like 6-7 or more hours to late. The setup was clear when you registered, saying the period gets extended (whats being said now) is like changing the rules of the game while the game has started. Its not that i like that half the people will get DQ, but it has to be done to get it done. If you arent on the field when youre match in the world cup of soccer has to be played, youre disqualified aswell, simple as that. 1 month every 4 years are planned for it, if you dont show up, its over. Hard, but fair.

Edit: After 5 hours of wasted time, i officially resign. Gl gents.
    Last edited by RTKAbu; 05-07-2011 at 22:50.

I see your point, but this is a game and consequently isn't as highly prioritised or supported as e.g a football tournaments, so the analogy is slightly weak. However I do feel that people should respect other people's time, and as the original dates were 7th and 8th I think it's fair to say anyone who hasn't made the effort by tomorrow evening has dropped the ball and should be DQ.
    O4B / Masked

Same as RTKAbu, folks, but after waiting for 5hrs and noshow from my opponent, I've decided to cut my losses for the night. Could an admin please remove me from the Tournament, thank you.

Thanks again for the effort guys.

RTK{S}Blue

I would like to say that I was ready at the tournament time and when I did finally get in touch with my opponent I was told that exams are more important. Shouldn't they have not signed up then?

Quote Originally Posted by 00owl View Post
    I would like to say that I was ready at the tournament time and when I did finally get in touch with my opponent I was told that exams are more important. Shouldn't they have not signed up then?
    Yeah thats pretty lame from your opponent, but at least you'll get a bye to the next round. Round 2 and beyond should be quicker as all the AFK people are removed.

We are currently at 21 complete out of 38 Round 1 games. 2 Round 2 games have also been completed, and a few more are underway for both Round 1 and Round 2 as I write this. I have swapped several players who were online but without a partner, so that matches could be played. There will clearly be a bunch of DQs tomorrow night, but it should move pretty smoothly after that as all the people with serious time constraints will be gone.

This is just a public announcement of a rule change that was implemented during the Semi-Finals. Due to a stalemate situation that occurred in the Indigo/Luvmo match, an attacker/defender rule had to be imposed to resolve the match. To keep the tournament fair, attacker/defender rules were also then implemented for the Swoosh/Sabre match and will be imposed in the Final as well. The modified rule as implemented for Swoosh/Sabre and as will be implemented in the Final is:

One player attacks and the other defends in battle 1. The players then swap roles for battle 2. Battle 3 has no attacker/defender, but players are not permitted to sit still for more than 5 minutes. Minor/superficial unit movements are not sufficient to qualify as not sitting still.

The CWC rule on Drops (as detailed here) will also be imposed in the Final. This rule was imposed on a couple matches earlier in the tournament when dropping became an issue, and we are simply announcing it again to make it clear how such a situation will be handled if it is encountered.

The Org is proud to announce that The Tosa Cup Tournament is now over, and we are pleased to present the winners!

Indigo (Steam ID: [IMP]_INDIGO) takes takes First Place!
    sabresandiego (Steam ID: Sabre) takes Second Place!
    bossrobert (Steam ID: M_BH Luvmo Sibundla) takes Third Place!

Prize distribution will begin immediately.

We would like to thank you all for making this such a great competition and for helping us to honor the memory of TosaInu.

Replays from the final match will be posted soon.
    Last edited by TinCow; 06-05-2011 at 05:19.

The Puppet King Senior Member AggonyKing's Avatar

thanks for participating everyone

"Cuiusvis hominis est errare; nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare."
    Any man can make a mistake; only a fool keeps making the same one.

Congratulations guys for hosting this nice tourney !!!

I thank the administration of the tournament and all participants!

Will there be a banner with the name of the winner?

Quote Originally Posted by INDIGO View Post
    Will there be a banner with the name of the winner?
    Unfortunately, the couple artists we have on-staff don't have much time to spare at the moment, which is why the Sengoku Jidai League banner is so bad (I had to make it myself). I've added a permanent award badge to your Org account (it's under your post count), but that's probably all we'll be able to do in terms of graphics at the moment. If you want more proof for others, the bracket will remain online forever.

Travelling Knight Content Manager Nigel's Avatar

Congratulations to the winner !
    I have not seen the replay yet, but I hear it was a well deserved victory from those who have seen the game live. Looking forward to watching the videos of the matches.

And well done to the organizers of this tournament. Was great fun following it.

Default Re: The Official Tosa Cup Tournament Thread - FINISHED

Congratulations to all winners and participants!
    Ja-mata TosaInu