Thread: Ασια των βαρβαρων - Asia Ton Barbaron

JEBMMP Creator & AtB Maker Member jirisys's Avatar

Default Ασια των βαρβαρων - Asia Ton Barbaron

Greetings.
    Rome: Total War Fans.

We have traveled to the coldest places in the Tibetan Range. Assaulted nomadic caravans. Rushed through Argyraspidai formations. Stole Nabatu gold. Desecrated Buddhist temples. Collapsed nomadic altars. And ran towards Parthian Cataphracts.

Yet. We have found it. We have found the only thing that we need in this world! We have found the fountain of life my friends!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    However we decided to use it all on this mod. Now there's no more life-water for you. Sorry.

We present to you...

Ασια των βαρβαρων - Asia ton Barbaron

ΑΝΔΡΩΝ ΕΠΙΦΑΝΩΝ ΠΑΣΑ Η ΓΗ ΤΑΦΟΣ - The grave of great men is the whole Earth.

-Thucydides

It begins at the independence of the parthian satrap from the Seleucid Empire; soon to perish in the invasion and capture of his lands by Arsaces. The assasination of Berenice, her son, and the King Antiochos Theos will come right after, while Laodice will crown his son, Seleukos Kallinikos as the new king, starting a war with Ptolemy and a civil war with Kallinikos' brother, Antiochos Hierax. With the Mauryan Empire at it's peak and uncontested whilst ruling the lands of the Satavahana. Jarring conflicts in the lands of the Tamil kingdoms; always at war with each other. While the usual defeat of the nomads at the hands of the mighty Xiongnu. The Seleucid Empire in war by all sides; in the east; with Bactria and Parthia; in the west with the Pergameans and Bythinians. The Bosphoran Kingdom will have to keep the sarmatian horde at bay. The Armenian and Iberians with their small expansions. Pontos having to deal with piracy in it's waters and a soon to come conflict with the seleucids. The Wusun still holding itself after many raids from the Xiongnu. The world will soon meet the rise of two of the most remembered and large empires of this age. A truly exciting and very moved start. It will include extensive and comprehensive historical research, and brand new everything, since the timeframe is far from the one in vanilla. A mod unlike any other ever to this day.

Timeframe:
    247 BCE - 100 BCE

Map:

Members:
    -Leaders:
    jirisys
    beos777

-2D art:
    jirisys

-Skinners:
    Alkimachos

-Modelers:
    Alkimachos
    Valkar
    Moon

-Historians:
    beos777
    Gotenus
    Hellenic Blade
    Alkimachos
    Drtad
    Populus Romanus
    Manuel I Kommenos
    Eretna Beg
    Tanit
    ignoramus maximus

-Special thanks:
    mamik_yev_konak (Vartan)
    gamegeek2
    Boom S and the Fortuna Orbis team

We hope you will support and join our team so we may actually finish it. We will update the thread constantly so stay tuned.

If you wish to join or visit our development forums to hang around with us in the public section, you can do so by clicking HERE

Thank you for your support and assistance beforehand.

Sincerely, Jirisys, Beos777 and the whole AtB community

~Jirisys (Ασια των βαρβαρων)
    Last edited by jirisys; 05-10-2011 at 01:30.
    Because we all need to compensate...

Default Pre-Preview 1 - Introduction

-Thucydides

Greetings, Rome: Total Fans.
    From this day forward we will start bombarding you with previews, maybe this way we can increase our chances of getting our so needed modelers. And maybe get a little more interest coming our way.
    I also hope these few months will be enjoyable to us all and that we finish it in due time.

So; without further a-do.

--------------------------------

Oh great nobles, soldiers and countrymen! Men who make all kingdoms great, for without you, they would not survive, you bring wise advice, you offer protection from the onslaught of other men, whom their eyes are filled with jelousy and hatred; you bring food to all, you give your ruler's army what they most need when they are far from home. You are what keep together an empire, a kingdom, a city.

Yet the kings and emperors do not know much about what you see and what you know, for they are busy men, and cannot listen to every single subject of them. Now I must write what you know, to give it to my ruler, as he is always weary of what step to take next, please oh glorious men. Do not keep any secrets from me, as you will be keeping them from your king.

That is why he calls me, a man whose work is not known and not wanted. However, we have to do it, for the rulers need us, to understand what his lands need, and which ones will become annexed to his great rule.

But what of us? What word do we bring to our noblemen, our kings and emperors, our consules or autokratores?
    Well, here we are all reunited, gathered without any knowledge of the others, but knowing that they will not betray our secret, for the wrath of their rulers will not be the only ones that fall upon them.
    This meeting must be kept secret, our kings will not be happy to hear what we have done.

Now it is my turn to start this meeting, reading the writings that I gave the king a few days ago. His rule is great and his military might is greater, feared by even the bravest man of their lands. But no one knows how powerful we truly are.

~Jirisys ()

Default Official Announcement 1

-Thucydides

Official Announcement

Greeting, Total War Fans.
    I have several announcements to make from the whole team.
    I will not keep you waiting.

1. We are currently working hard on our next preview, however it is possible it will be delayed a few days, possibly until next week. Other matters require a lot from us too.
    2. A contest will be devised: After each preview, you can post here your guesses for the next faction we are going to preview, only one guess is allowed, and the first person to guess correctly before the next pre-preview will be granted Team Member Access to our development forum until the full preview comes out. Of course, as you may have deducted; team members can't participate in this contest.
    3. We are currently in dire need for a modeler and a skinner. While some of us can do a tad of both, we need someone who is can do more complex things. We urge you to help us, if you do; we might even get more and more previews sooner.
    4. Also here we would like to announce our 2D art; first one is the logo, which is in the first post of this thread. The second one is the official banner, used for each preview, announcement or newsletter in the forums. You can see it at the top of this post or on any other official posts.
    5. We will be making a bi-monthly (every two weeks) newsletter here; so you may see how big is our progress. Starting Monday, March 28th.

That is all. Thanks for your support and I hope you have a good day.

~Jirisys ()

Default Preview 1: Maurya Saamraajya

-Thucydides

Greetings.

We bring you our first full blown preview. I think you may have guessed obviously who we were talking about.
    However we had some troubles with the units, so we will preview them later, in a day or two maximum.
    But here it is. Without further waiting.

Enjoy!

Maurya Saamraajya

Maurya Empire

Hail mighty Saamrat! I bring forth in this artha-sasthra; great news to your noble presence.
    Your glorious rule has united all the tribes and kingdoms under one banner, yours!

Truly your wondrous achievements are none to me humble about emperor. Our crops span for thousands of yojana in the horizon, our farmers, busy with so much work to do, grateful to you, my great emperor.
    Our ships and carvans filled with many caturthikaa of spice, sold even in the most remote places in the world. Hundreds of ship travel to the land beyond of the yavanas.
    Our ratna and aamuktikaa still stand out from you and your entourage my emperor, wearing such beatiful array of colors. And I have even seen some of those not nobles have been seen wearing their precious colors on their ornaments.
    While taxes are not exhorbitant, we still make thousands of coins and our riches are greater than any other kingdom.

But certainly, what is an empire without an army? Never has the world seen such a large army, and never to be outdone by any single man, not in this world that is hundreds of thousands of infantry, tens of thousands of cavalry, around four thousand elephants and two thousand chariots! It's size imposes your noble will upon those that dare to defy you.
    Tamil poets write about the might of our armies, our elephants and chariots. No man shall ever think of fighting your great array of men, even the Kalinga, one of the bloodiest people on the world; had to surrender to your might and that of your army.
    We must also remember the futile and arrogant attempts of that yavana king to usurp your grandfather's lands, his weak and feeble troops were disrupted and routed with such an ease, that the reign was untouched; and the arrogant king had to ask for forgiveness. I myself cannot stand their impudence to try to capture lands from your might, and then try to apologize for such a dishonarable action, he should be beheaded and his reign be yours today. Any yavana is not to be trusted, as they will become vicious rats when you leave a single town undefended. You must be careful my emperor.
    But today; your armies are truly amazing and awe-inspiring, never will I see such great union of men standing together to fight. There is no single force in the world that could stop you.
    Every envious man says that your advanced age stops you from commanding such awe-inspiring army. Yet there is no brighter and wiser man than you in these lands, you have brought many kingdoms to their knees, and you mave made terror in millions of men's hearts. You; my emperor, are the mightiest of all commanders in the world, with no doubt!

But what about your efforts to feed our spirit? The teachings of Siddharthaa Buddha are being spread to tens of thousand of yojana, and all of those that wish to hear it; even those foreign yavanas, will purify their souls, behaving according to the Dharma, and even trying to attain nirvana, like the Buddha did sitting in his tree, There is no stop for the Buddha's wise teachings. While your age is great, there is no reason for you not to join the buddha in eternal happiness.

What else could stop you from spreading your name towards the world? Rocks are being carved with your edicts, all the people following their moral and social precepts. Everyone is joyous with your rule, as you have given them what not even the best king could have never given; you have given them happiness.

There is no stopping your rule, not now or ever.

Hail Saamrat Priya-Darshi!

Historically.
    The Mauryan Empire in now at its peak of power, with the largest economy and powerful standing army in the world. Now ruled by Asoka Maurya, 56, a skilled military tactician and wise statecraft-er under whom the empire has flourished to its greatness.

Asoka has adopted Buddhism and now follows an economic policy rather than a military subjugation or conquest after the end of the gruesome Kalinga war. Yet Mauryan empire's military spending was high as usual and mighty enough to suppress unrest in any corner off the empire and also defend against any invasion. Before around 3 years from now (250bc) Asoka has sent Buddhist missions to the Hellenistic states.

The Mauryan Empire included almost the whole of India except the extreme South. (Present day Kerala and Tamil nadu states) Asoka’s inscriptions refer to the Cheras as Keralaputras. The Mauryans traded with the Southern Kingdoms and had a strong relationship with the dominant Pandya kingdom.

Government.
    Mauryan empire followed a very large hierarchy with the Saamraat (The Emperor) on top and considered the absolute authority of the state. Several royal family members, relations, subjugated kings, chieftains, recruited generals and governors handled the affairs of a province and reported to the higher hierarchy above them. Taxes were regularly collected from land lords and merchants. The empire was ruled by the guidance of 'Artha-sasthra' (Manual of State-craft), which was a must read for any King within the Mauryan empire. All of them ruled with the help of their personal council of ministers. There were separate military and social tree of hierarchy below the Emperor. The 'Sena-pathi' (Supreme commander) being head of the military, 'Mukhya-manthri' (Prime minister) being the head of Social/Internal affairs and personal advisor to the Emperor. Spies monitored the actions outside and within the empire, they monitored all classes of people including those even close to the Kings and reported to their superiors who in turn is responsible for compiling and report it to the Kings and emperor. So the king would always get news about the mood and attitudes of the people. Women were also appointed as spies.

The central government was under the direct control of the Emperor. Though he was an absolute ruler, he was accessible to his subjects. He was the supreme head of the army. He was chief justice of the country. He was assisted by the Yuvaraja (Prince), the crown prince and the 'mantrins' or a council of ministers. There were officials like the Mahamatras. They looked after the day today work of the administration.

The Empire was divided into provinces, districts and villages. A prince or any other member of the royal family looked after the provinces. Officials called pradeshikas or Sthanikas were in charge of districts. The Gramanis acted as heads of the villages. Pataliputra was the Capital of the Mauryan Empire. Six boards or departments looked after the Municipal administration of the city of Pataliputra. Every board had five members. These boards looked after’ the subjects like Industries, Census, Trade, Manufactures and their sale, Collection of taxes and Welfare of foreigners living in the city. Similar form of government existed in other major cities of Tosali, Suvamagiri, Ujjain,Taxila and Mathura.

The principal revenue of the state was the land revenue, taxes from traders, artisans and professional taxes were also collected. The revenue was spent for the welfare of the people. The officers of the Government received their salaries in cash. The coins were made of silver. They were called punch coins because tiny symbols or designs were stamped or punched on them. These coins were also called Karshapanas. Most parts of the Mauryan Empire were linked by roads. There was one route to Nepal via Visali. Another road linked Pataliputra with Kalinga in Orissa. Traders, travelers, spies and soldiers used these roads. Men and goods were transported by river boats also. The king’s court at Pataliputra was the highest court of Justice. Judicial courts were set up in all parts of the country. Petty cases were decided by the village panchayats. Punishments were severe. The judicial officers were known as rajukas.

State of Diplomacy.
    Mauryans and Pandyans had a strong relationship, several Tamil poets (from the Pandya kingdom) wrote about the valour and prowess of the Mauryan army (especially about Mauryan Chariots). Pandyans were skilled elephant trainers and fielders and passed on their training to the Mauryan army. Smooth trade was ensured between both the factions. The subjugates of Pandya, the Chera and Pallava factions earlier opposed to overpowering growth of the Mauryans but later accepted their superiority and paid tributes to Mauryans and Pandyans. Relationship with the various south Indian kingdoms were warm at-least until the death of Asoka and the emergence of the Sathavahana tribe.

Mauryans under Asoka maintained a good relationship with the Bactrian/Indo-greek kingdom. They passed on the wisdom of Buddhism and trade flourished between both. But any Bactrian king will take any chance to take the rich Indian lands in case of any weakening of power in the Mauryan empire. Which happened during the Sunga period were the Indo-greeks established their rule in north western provinces of India.

The events of the war between Seleucus and Chandragupta are obscure. Seleucus crossed the Indus, and may have advanced towards the Ganges. If there were any major battles Chandragupta must have won them, and when the war ended (possibly in 303 BC) the peace was greatly to his advantage. Seleucus abandoned any claims east of the Indus and also transferred the satrapies of the Parapanisadai (around Kabul), Aria (around Heart) and Arachosia (around Kandahar) and possible eastern Gedrosia to Chandragupta. In return he was given 500 war elephants. The treaty was to be ratified by a marriage alliance between the two men. In addition to this treaty, Seleucus dispatched an ambassador, Megasthenes, to Chandragupta, and later Deimakos to his son Bindusara, at the Mauryan court at Pataliputra. Their relationship in this time line is not known, but either factions will try making use of the others weakening positions along their borders.

Sathavahana declared freedom after Asoka's death by around 230bc, They were a confederate unconquered subjugated tribes under the Mauryan empire from the Andhras before Asoka's death. They were buddhistic brahmins, and a fierce warrior tribes feared across the Dakhinapatha and Kalinga. After Asoka's death the declared their freedom and declared war against the Mauryan empire as they have grow very powerful under the peaceful era of Asoka. This also crippled the Mauryan empires relations with the southern's kingdoms due to disturbance in trade and other diplomatic activities. The continued pressing the Mauryan empire and later the Sungas until they emerged successful after the fall of both Mauryan, Sunga and later the Kanvas.

Yuezhi and Saka were commonly known to the Indian people as a fierce Saka clan. They surely have an eye for the rich Indus and Gangatic plains and Mauryans always on the watch to keep any clans subdued even before any threat would arise. They're currently in peace but war is inevitable.

Caste System.
    Indian society was caste dominant and people were divided into castes based on their profession. In most cases people belonging to a caste inherited their profession for generations, A change in Caste would apply in case of change in profession over a couple of generations or in-case of inter-caste marriages. There were four major castes

Major castes

Brahmana - priests, healers, poets, writers, teachers, artists, ministers belong to this caste (Usually tend to dominate the rest of the society).
    Ksatriya - emperor, professional warriors, generals, kings, governors, ministers belong to this caste (A caste that puts the safety of the state and its people above all and are hereditary warriors).
    Vaisya - merchants, traders, farmers, land lords, farmers and even spies belong to this caste (They are the highly taxed caste).
    Sudhra - peasants, labours, farmers belong to this caste (Considered the lower most caste).

Minor castes

Mleccha - Foreign settlers (usually 'yavanas' (Greeks) and saka).
    Zabara - Barbarian, nomad, tribe
    Yaakanaka - Beggars, untouchables

Mahabharata provides evidence of societies where caste was just a matter of personal choice. At MHB 8:45 is the following passage:

"Among the Bahlikas one at first becomes a Brahmana and then he becomes a Kshatriya. Indeed, a Vahika would, after that, become a Vaishya, and then a Shudra, and then a barber. Having become a barber, he would then again become a brahmana. Returning to the status of a brahmana, he would again become a slave. One person in a family becomes a brahmana: all the others act as they like."

There have been kings from all major castes, Pushyamitra sunga was a Brahmana, Chandragupta a born Sudhra and several minor Vaisya kings.
    This means any governor would have a trait based on his caste.

Family
    Royal Mauriya Family
    Asoka Mauriya, 56 - faction leader
    Priyadarsin, 49
    Kunala Mauriya, 35 - died (historically blinded)
    Dasaratha Mauriya, 23 - faction heir
    Jalauka, 22
    Tivara, 21
    Samprati Maurya, 18 - next faction heir
    Salisuka Maurya, 2
    Theevala (f), 20
    Charumathi (f), 19
    Bandhupalitha (f), 8

Other family members
    Karhavela, 16
    A Sunga member and Nanda dynasty remnants.

Cities and provinces

Signature Images:
    -Small (177x66)

-Userbar (350x19)

-Banner (500x90)

~Jirisys ()

Default Re: Preview 1: Maurya Saamraajya

Sorry for the delays guys, we had a lot of problems and issues that pushed this preview further and further. But finally, here it is.

Also stay tuned for the monday newsletter.

The Mauryan empire was the first empire that managed to unite all of India. This was partially because of their complex army structure. Like most ancient Indian armies, the Mauryan army had 4 types of troops- elephant (gaja), chariot (ratha), cavalry (turanga), and infantry (pada). The Mauryan army was composed of people all over the subcontinent. In addition, Chandragupta Maurya did not discriminate against different castes, as he was of low caste himself (reputedly he was the son of a peacock tamer ). As a result, there were soldiers in his army from all castes, making the army very diverse. The core of the army was composed of Uttarapathian warriors, from central and western India. Uttarapatha had many militaristic peoples – like the Kambojas, Yavanas, Sakas and Vardas. Other peoples in the Mauryan army were the Maghadas, Assamese, and Cheras. Even the Nagas (literally serpents, because they worshiped cobras), a mystical people to the east, were incorporated into the army.

The bulk of the Indian army, and most other armies in the world, were the infantry, or foot soldiers. The infantry were equipped with a huge variety of weapons, which differed hugely across India. Probably the most common weapon was the sword, but even this came in hundreds of shapes across India. Their armor differed greatly as well. Some kingdoms, especially the tribes wore no armour. Others wore tough sturdy metal armour or mail armour, made of interlocking iron, steel, and leather plates. Tribal warriors warriors wore no armor, but instead wore silk clothing. This actually worked to block arrows, which couldn’t penetrate silk. Indian archers used a bow similar to the English longbow, in that it was as tall as the person using it. However, Indian bows were also recurved. Armies in India were typically larger than those of Europe.

India was one of the first nations to implement tactics, divisions, and formations. Armies did not simply rush out onto the battlefield; there were commanders who carefully put their massive armies in intricate formations. Some formations were: Chakra (wheel) Vyuha, Suchi (needle) Vyuha, Chayana (hawk) Vyuha and Mala (garland), and Garuda (eagle). Another one I read about recently was the lotus formation, where the archers would be on the inside, and the infantry and cavalry would be arranged like a lotus flower, protecting them.

Infantry:
    The bulk of the Indian army, and most other armies in the world, were the infantry, or foot soldiers. The infantry were equipped with a huge variety of weapons, which differed hugely across India. Probably the most common weapon was the sword, but even this came in hundreds of shapes across India. Armies in India were typically larger than those of Europe. It was common to see armies of hundreds of thousands fighting on the battlefield, even thought the kingdoms themselves might be small in size. As infantry formed the majority of the army, a typical battle would look like a sea of infantry and cavalry fighting, while the chariots and elephants stood out.

Atavi Pattisena
    Indian Tribal Infantry

Hail Saamraat! These men are tribesmen from the vast reaches of your lands, not your most loyal servants, yet willing to fight alongside your men. But be careful; these men have no discipline, they will run and do what they will do as they please. They will not hear any order to stand ground, and will run and chase the enemy. They make great arrow fodder though.
    The Atavi Pattisena are soldiers from the subjugated tribes of india, they are not in the Mauryan professional and they were not trained very well, they are front line spearmen, they will die to protect the more well trained and well armed troops, but remember they are very undisciplined, so they will be fodder for the other army. They are armed poorly; a bamboo spear and javelins are their weapons, a wooden shield covered with animal skin; and only a small cloth to cover their legs and nether regions. These men are very cheap as they were from subjugated tribes, they can also hide in long grass and are good ambushers, as they are used for tribal warfare.

Atavi Dhanursena
    Indian Tribal Longbowmen

Hail Saamraat! These archers have been the fear of every army wandering alone in tribal lands; that is, until you subjugated them under your rule. Great ambushers, they are able to fire from a longer range than our own archers, yet their bows are weaker and less powerful. Still, you can outrange any archer of any army, you will be able to ambush any army that may wander in your lands, and they will not be able to see where the arrows are coming from, they could be useful for us Saamraat.
    The indian tribes used longbowmen for ambush, then; if necesary, would attack with the spearmen. They are armed with the bamboo longbow, they are given a greater range but less penetrating power; if they are faced in combat, they will draw out their two-handed swords, they have no shields and only a cloth to cover their nether regions and legs. These men; as they are tribal, they are cheap; and also great ambushers, they are nimble and can hide in long grass, but they suffer from the same problems that all tribal warriors suffer, their lack of discipline and formal training.

Maurya Pattisena
    Mauryan Spearmen

Hail Saamraat! These soldiers are the lowest rank of your armies, recruited from all over your empire and every caste is present in these spearmen. These men will serve you in battle as the front line, able to fight back the onslaught of the enemy army, but they are not very powerful, so be careful when using them.
    The Mauryan Spearmen were composed of all castes, they were the lowest tier of the professional army, they were trained and disciplined. They were armed with a throwing spear, a small round shield and a spear; they had a turban headgear and wore silk-linen from the waist up; and a cloth from the waist down.

Maurya Dhanursena
    Mauryan Longbowmen

Hail Saamraat! These men are trained in the prestigious art of archery, they are formidable foes, and they form part of your professional army. They use a powerful and intricate bow that can traverse through armor and skin. Truly formidable men. But they are not cheap, these men are trained in the finest art there is, therefore it is abominable to treat them as tribal men. But they will be worth twice their price.
    The art of archery was considered prestigious in the Mauryan society, these men were trained well and had good discipline. They are armed with a recurve longbow, a powerful bow that can send arrows far and kill medium-armored men in a single blow, they had a two-handed sword for melee and wore a bronze breastplate, a turban and cloth from the waist down. They are very expensive, as they are a prestigious group of men, but very useful for that price.

Shreni Asisena
    Mercenary Guild Swordsmen

Hail Saamraat! These men come from war schools, mercenary guilds. They are ferocious and well trained, very powerful and brave. These men have been taught how to war in good schools, now that they are ready to serve the highest bidder, you should go and buy their services, for they are mighty, and could serve you well in the main battle line.
    These men are trained in private mercenary guilds known as "Shreni" in northern India and "Porkulam" in Tamil lands. They have a moderate equipment to have a better cost of recruitment. They are considered as the second choice; after the state-run professional army. They are armed with a leaf sword and a wired interlocking metal armour for the waist up, a turban, and a cloth from the waist down, they carry a small flat shield and they are formidable warriors. However, as they are from a guild, they will not be as loyal as a men recruited from your lands will.

Maurya Asisena
    Mauryan Swordsmen

Hail Saamraat! These men are the medium rank of your army, they are trained with the sword and every caste is present within these swordsmen. They will fend off the onslaught of even the strongest army. They are not as cheap as the spearmen, but they are even more armored and powerful, use them wisely Saamraat.
    The swordsmen had more prestige than the spearmen, they were recruited everywhere in the empire and were the medium tier of the professional army. They were armed with a longsword and throwing spears, they had a round shield made of brass and silk-linen clothing with scale inserts for the upper body, a turban; and silk cloth from the waist down. They were trained professionally and are very deadly in close combat.

Magadh Asisena
    Magadha Swordsmen

Hail Saamraat! These swordsmen are formidable soldiers. They come from the regions close to the capital and are well-armed and well-armoured. They are one of the highest ranked soldiers in our armies, they are brave and very well trained. They are powerful soldiers and can hold the line even when hope for winning is lost. They are formidable soldiers Saamraat, worthy of being in your armies.
    The Magadha Swordsmen come from Magadha and nearby areas, they are highly ranked among the mauryan armies and are very well trained. They war an armor made of quality metal pieces joined using metal wires, which offers them great protection; they have a bronze dhal a bronze helmet. They are armed with a very prestigious Khanda sword and throwing spears. They're one of the best infantry fielded by the Mauryan armies.

Antarvamsik Asisena
    Royal Guard Swordsmen

Hail Saamraat! These men; brave sons of your generals and ministers, brave and bold to go to war with you. They are armored very well, and why wouldn't they? They are the brave sons of those nobles, they can buy the best armour there is. They have beautiful decorations on their armour and they stand out on the battlefield, as the most powerful infantry.
    The Royal guard consisted of Ksatriyas and other noblemen who were recruited personally by the royalty; they have a highly decorated bronze armour, a royal helmet that protects their face, a bronze dhal and various silk cloths. They are armed with throwing spears and a Khanda sword. They are the most powerful infantry in the mauryan army.

Cavalry:
    The cavalry of Indian armies is, for the most part, not noteworthy. The cavalry of the Middle Eastern and Arab armies were probably superior. There are exceptions though, the Kamboja guilds have good horses and were reputed cavalry in the sub-continent. Other than that Indian armies fielded only light to medium cavalry mainly for hit and run tactics or sword armed melee cavalry. India was not suitable for breeding horses; good quality horses had to be imported and only few afford to do it. Kingdoms and Empires like the Mauryans were; did have a state monopoly of horses and chariots and fielded considerable amount of light cavalry in Armies. The Kamboja guild on the other had was know for their reputed cavalry. The nobles owned good horses and would join the battle line as heavy malee cavary. Yet horses were not good enough to be armored and to be used as shock cavalry like the Hellenistic states and steppe Nomads, theirs were superior.

Maurya Asvarohi
    Mauryan Cavalry

Hail Saamraat! A horse with a man on it, nothing special or highly classed, they are great at riding, but they are not very useful as our infantry is in killing enemies, but they certainly are uncatchable by the enemy, and they can attack with distance; yet, I'm afraid they aren't good for melee, or anything else for that matter.
    These soldiers are light cavalry, they are used in a hit-and-run tactic, and they are a low ranking unit in the professional army. They are armed with a bundle of throwing spears, a spear and shield for melee. They wear a turban and silk-linen clothing. All castes were present in these men and they were recruited all over the empire.

Kamboja Asvarohi
    Kamboja Guild Cavalry

Hail Saamraat! These men are tough warriors, very strong and nimble; their greatness is known all over your lands. These men will suit your armies very well; and your enemies will die more easily. They can chop a man in two pieces with one hit, and they are also able to kill them from a distance; while their price is not that cheap, it certainly is very good for the men you will buy.
    These men come from Kamboja guilds, private military schools; they are famous throughout the empire, they were the prefered cavalry of all the men who wished to have a cavalry force. They are used in a hit-and-run tactic, armed with javelins, a sword and a dhal. They wear light scale armour from the waist up, silk cloth from the waist down, and a turban. They are not very expensive, but they are certainly, not cheap; however, as they are from a guild, they will not be as loyal as a men recruited from your lands will.

Antarvamsik Asvarohi
    Royal Guard Cavalry

Hail Saamraat! These men are brave noblemen, bold enough that they enlist in your armies and defend their fathers and families. These man are nobles, they can afford the best armour, but protect them, use them wisely, as their fathers are noblemen, and they will not be happy their sons gave their lives for nothing.
    These soldiers were mostly Ksatriyas and other noblemen, recruited personally by royalty. As such they had very expensive armour; they wore a decorated bronze breastplate, silk clothing; a very long broadsword, a bronze dhal, and a bronze helmet. They were a melee force, to give a huge impact and the broadsword makes it a prime meatgrinder.

Sanghapati
    Chieftan's Cavalry

Hail Saamraat! These men are the personal cavalry of the leaders of tribes or guilds that wish to join your armies in combat or subjugated to your wise rule. They are very skilled due to their years of training and they are used in a hit-and-run tactic; they are accustomed to tribal fighting, but we could use them in our armies.
    These men fight in the same way as the Mauryan Cavalry do. They have a light body armour, they are used as a hit-and-run force. They carry around a bundle of javelins, a broadsword and a dhal; also they wear a turban and silk clothing.

Chariots:
    Warfare in ancient India centered around the elephants and chariots. Indian chariots were nothing like the light, sleek chariots of other nations across the world. They were massive, made of wood and iron, and intricately decorated in gold. The archers, standing on the chariot, would be a good four or more feet off the ground, giving him a significant advantage over enemy infantry. Some chariots held more men, the largest could hold seven men. Indian chariots were so large and heavy that they required four to six horses to pull them. Unlike other chariots, which moved quickly and fired arrows into the enemy ranks, Indian chariots often charged right into melee battle. They crushed enemy soldiers under their wheels, trampled them under the horses, all while the soldier(s) on the chariot fired arrows into them, or fought it out hand to hand.

Yuddha Ratha
    War Chariots

Hail Saamraat! These war machines, finest amongst all of the world; powerful, nimble and very useful. They are manned by longbowmen, giving their powerful strength an enormous range. They will kill from a distance, and will be able to move away from retaliation at an incredible speed.
    These chariots are heavy and powerful, they are made of fine-quality wood and covered in metal. They are pulled by a crew of four horses and are manned by four Mauryan Longbowmen. However they can also mow down lines of infantry due to their heavy build and can run away very fast from any danger. They are very resistant and a great support for any army.

Elephants:
    The way in elephants were used in battle varied widely as well. One common tactic, used by Porus at the Hydaspes, was to place the elephants a distance apart, anywhere from 40 to 100 feet. These elephants would act like mobile fortresses, where the rest of the army could rally around. Another common tactic, probably the most dangerous and effective one, was to use the elephants to directly assault enemy lines. The elephants would be arranged in a wall formation, and be heavily armored in iron or steel from head to foot. Long steel swords, often coated with poison, would be attached to their tusks. Elephants are well armoured and well trained and are crewed by skilled Ksatriya archers who can sharp shoot enemies from enormous range. The elephant itself is a terrifying sight when it attacks. Indians are pioneers in training elephants for war and the way the deploy elephants in various formations are also way beyond comparison to any other military in the ancient factions. The elephants are armoured using heavy interlocking metal plates and are hard to penetrate. The mahouts would then drive them forward in a coordinated charge, wreaking havoc in enemy ranks. Archers or lancers on top of the elephants would pick off enemy soldiers as well. One king even went as far as to train his elephants to swing heavy iron balls on chains with their trunks. The very sight of a wall of heavily armored elephants charging, whirling huge iron balls with their trunks, their tusks tipped with poisoned swords, the soldiers on the elephant wielding enormous lances, would often cause the enemy to break ranks and flee.

Shreni Rana-Hasti
    Indian Mercenary Guild Elephants

Hail Saamraat! These men come from famous guilds, they trained to ride elephants that are bred and trained for war. They are famous in your lands, masters of inspiring fear in our enemies. They are powerful, they can crush and kill your enemies with their tusks. Many fine archers carry and man these beasts, capable of shooting as far as the eye can see. Truly your armies will be unstoppable with these.
    Shrenis are guilds and private mercenary academies that trained; amongst other things, war elephants. These elephants had an iron points in their tusks. They were manned by longbowmen, mostly bamboo longbowmen, as these had cheaper weaponry, they sat down, which gave the elephant more stability, were faster and deadlier. Elephants were used extensively among the indian tribes and kingdoms; it was not uncommon for many even semi-professional armies to make extensive use of them; however, as they are from a guild, they will not be as loyal as a men recruited from your lands will.

Yuddha-Hasti
    War Elephants

Hail Saamraat! These elephants are mighty, for their cheap price. Whilst being unarmored, they can really kill hundreds; if not thousands, of even the toughest soldiers. Manned by great longbowmen that can pierce the strongest armour. These men will make a fine addition to your armies, and will impose your might upon all who oppose you.
    These elephants; while unarmored, are nimble and strong, the lack of tower grants them speed and balance, making them truly deadly on the battlefield. They are manned by recurved-longbowmen from the Mauryan army, they sit on the elephant, allowing them to be more accurate and have more balance. He is only armed with a small iron tip on his tusk, and his mighty speed and weight.

Barma-Hasti
    Armoured Elephants

Hail Saamraat! These elephants, armoured in strong iron, boast the magnificence of your kingdom. Powerful, heavy, resilient, and also nimble. They are manned by fine archers and can kill many thousands of men easily. While they are armoured, they are still able to be killed, so use them wisely, as losing many men and elephants is very costly in the battlefield.
    These elephants are armoured in iron plates, covering most of their body. They are; however, even faster and deadlier than the yavana's towered elephants. They have a howdah, a small platform that allows the archers that man these beasts to kneel, they are three recurved-longbowmen; plus the one that drives the elephant. They wear body armour and they are to fire powerful shots a a great distance.

Senapathi-Angarakshak
    Mauryan General's Bodyguards

Hail Saamraat! These elephants are well known among you and your generals, as they; along with their riders, accompany you to battle. They stand beside your own elephant and are the most powerful beasts of any army. They are armored in iron, they are manned by three men from your entourage, they can kill a man until the eye can see, no matter how armoured they might be. If there is the need, you can charge your bodyguards towards the enemy lines and cause a massive panic and slaughter. But be careful when you do, we do not want to lose you, your family, or the noblemen that lead our soldiers in battle.
    These elephants are armoured in iron plates, they have a headplate made of brass or bronze; highly decorated, they are manned by three recurved-longbowmen from the sons of noblemen and high-ranking office holders. They kneel in the howdha made of wood and reinforced with iron. They are there to protect the family of the emperor, those that lead the armies. The elephants are nible and fast due to the small weight added in comparison to the towered ones. They an iron tip on their tusks and are a force to be reckoned with. They are loyal to the emperor and his family, as they are sons of noblemen, so they will die for their general. But they will kill thousands in the process. Truly an unstoppable force

Credits:
    Historians and researchers:
    -svramj
    -BoomS
    -Populus Romanus

Modelers:
    -svramj
    -BoomS

Skinners:
    -svramj
    -Alkimachos
    -jirisys

2D Artist:
    -jirisys

Text and descriptions:
    -jirisys

Special Thanks:
    Special Thanks to:
    -BoomS and the Fortuna Orbis team who supplied us with the elephant models and some infantry models
    -PROMETHEUS ts and the Res Gestae team who supplied us with some infantry models and the chariot model
    -Old Asia ton Barbaron team

~Jirisys ()

Default Newsletter 1

-Thucydides

Official Newsletter

Greetings.
    This is our first newsletter where we encompass things that happened between announcements, previews or other newsletters here. Also saying some things about the progress of the mod. So here it is; enjoy.

• We have started our "guess our next preview and get Team Member access from the day the pre-preview is posted until the preview is done" contest. So don't wait to participate; because...
    • The next preview is being prepared as we speak and the pre-preview will be done soon. If nobody guesses; nobody wins.
    • That means you will soon (possibly next month) you will see more cool and beautiful units from our roster; faction information and certain new stories.
    • We will keep working hard to get more and more previews, so to make new units and having quite a bit of our mod finished (and have our own subforum).
    • The next newsletter will be in 14 days. If there's a preview near that day; there will be no newsletter... For obvious reasons
    • This came early in cosideration of our fans in Fiji, that it is actually monday for them.

That is all.

Regards.

The Asia ton Barbaron team; and

~Jirisys ()

Default Pre-Preview 2: Old rivalries

-Thucydides

Greetings.

We bring you now as promised; the pre-preview for our next faction. I hope things do not get stuck and we can bring you the full preview on schedule.
    On another note, the winners of the contest are:
    "demagogos nicator" from the TWCenter.
    And since no one else guessed right, he will be the only one with the honor. Go and register to the FORUM :)
    Enjoy.

--------------------------------

How dare he! How dare he insult the forefather of the largest empire in the world? How does he even have his tongue yet? They managed to defeat Megas Alexandros; but because his men were stubborn, and did not want to advance. Yet, he; our basileos, will carve back his empire once again.

He only thinks he is powerful because we haven't shown our might yet. His battlefields have been on the other side of our lands. But he should be weary. As the hellenistic machine will come pouring death on their puny armies, crush their scared farmers and slit the throat of their nobles.

The basileis of the west have been warring for years. Now they have begged us for peace. Our basileos accepted, because he is wise, as he would strike when they would least expect it. He has shown weakness, offering his daughter to our basileos. As long as the true heirs are not blocked, her blood should not be spilled.

His lands on the east have revolted. They have become puny kingdoms, and the mighty basileos will destroy them, and seize them back. For they deserve the wrath of the men of hellas. They will have their place in the Hades reserved; as cerberos' dinner. He who attacks and defies the might of our phalangitai will be scorn and boiled in their own blood. As they are not to be spared from death's bloody hand.

I cannot blame my basileos. As it is not his fault. Only Alexandros could reign and mantain such enormous empire by himself. As he was titled Basileos, Hegemon, Autokrator, Pharaoh, Shahansah, and of course; Basileos ton Basileon. For he left the grandfather or our basileos, a small part of his land only; as he knew that he could only reing over that.

But greed got away with him, and now his once loyal subjects, now claim with enmity the land that isn't theirs.

For we are warring in too many fronts, too many enemies, too many unlawful kings. But be careful "Saamraat"; as the wrath for the vengance of Alexandros is in our veins. And we will not hesitate to call you his killer.

No man will be born like Alexandros. Not in this life. He may have pardoned those who killed him in the Elisia Pedia; but we will not stop, or consult the omens. We will pardon them in the afterlife.

But today we will not stop, to conquer all the lands which once were his. To ravage and slaughter all those who opposed his might, and those who oppose ours too. We have many enemies; but we can hold them back, we can crush them in the fields and use them as our slaves.

We are the men of hellas, truest among all men. Our swordsmen and spearmen of our basileos will march upon your lands. To conquer what Megas Alexandros could not; to retrieve what our basileis had lost over the years and to swiftfully impose our rule upon all the... So called kings.

Beware barbaroi...

Beware.

~Jirisys ()

Default Preview 2: Arche Seleukeia

-Thucydides

Greetings.
    We bring you our second preview in two months. We have been working hard in order to keep you interested and of course, to keep ourselves from slacking and leaving work undone.
    We hope you enjoy it and you keep supporting our work alongside us.
    Also, since the preview is here, demagogos nicator won't have access to the development section anymore until we finish the units. We don't want him revealing the details for our next previews.
    Also, since this is monday, obviously the newsletter will be delayed until the next scheduled day.
    Also again; to our fans in Fiji; this has come very early. For our hawaiian fans. Well, sorry.

Arche Seleukeia

Seleucid Empire

Hail basileu ton basileon!

I am afraid news are not so good for your reign; I bring forth grave matters to you. It seems your armies cannot keep fear in your satraps and allies, they have become fearless to our mighty armies.

Your friendship and acceptance of those eastern barbaroi's customs may have saved the lives of thousands, fighting in wars on the opposite sides of your lands. Yet it has not stopped the Baktrian satrap Diodotos from rebelling, without any shame or fear. He is actively plotting against you and he must be crushed inmediately.

His schemes have; sadly, not failed as Andragoras; satrap of Parthia, has followed in the path and advice of Diodotos, and has rebelled and proclaimed your lands, as his. Yet he alone will not be able to hold off the Skythioi and Parthoi hordes, he will surely die and his lands will claim your name and ask your rule.

But yet, the wars with the laguids have ceased, they have imposed their might because of our many envious enemies. Too many fronts we have; it was needed for you to stop this war with Ptolemaios. Now he is old, and weak; and his daughter your wife.

Yet, my king, it would anger much her brother, that you go to Laodice, a women who it is said you repudiate; and leave your other wife Berenice. I do not want a laguid as a king either. But I am afraid many lives would have to be sacrificed because of wars with those usurpers, those thiefs.

And on your west, the ruler of Pergamon; Eumenes, has expanded much more, claiming you as your enemy. Trying to usurp your lands and renounceto your rule and help. While the laguids aided and supported that revolt.

The kingdom of Pontos and Hayastan are still your allies, and I think you should hope to mantain it that way. We do not need any more enemies.

Our armies are not as large as they were under Seleukos, yet our soldiers are more and more powerful and mighty than those of Alexandros.

Only he can rule over such vast lands as was his empire, he united all men from the vast reaches of the world. It is your turn, to equal his empire, and unite all those who oppose you, under the same banner.

For you are the basileos of the Arche Seleukeia; the largest empire of the world today. For you are the basileu ton basileon!

Historically.
    The Arche Seleukeia has been going downhill for decades by 247 BCE. It had been just 6 years since the end of the the second syrian war; it was a small temporary victory for the king Antiochos. but then, starting with the Pergamean revolt of the 260's BCE; the seleucid satrapies and allies began to proclaim themselves his enemies. Following by the independence of the satrapies of Baktria and Parthia. The loss of comunication with the easternmost regions of the empire, and the soon to come instability of internal affairs were going to be precarious to the rule of the seleucid kings.

Seleukos had returned to his former wife, Laodice. Leaving Berenice alone. That preocupied her, as she liked her son to be the heir. Ptolemy was also concerned about her and her son. But things were soon to become much worse. And the empire was eager to fight many other suicidal wars.

Government.
    The Seleucid government was not very different with the Achaemenid Empire. Taxes were collected by local Satraps and merchants. The central authority, however, was at the hands of the Emperor (who named himself King; Basileos) himself. He was the highest Strategos of the army with the assistance of the nobles, princes and generals. The role of the Emperor was exactly the same as his Achaemenid predecessors.

The great and only difference was that the most important positions (Satraps, counselors and generals) were usually given to Macedonians or greeks.
    Many Greeks, mostly retired soldiers were creating new settlements throughout the land (the Klerouchoi). The Greek language and religion were the pillars of the Kingdom. So they had a big hellenization of the empire but some important roles from the former Achaemenid Empire remained (mostly because of Alexander's imposition and maintaining of those same roles).

State of Diplomacy.
    Seleucids and Ptolemies were in constant turmoil for almost three centuries by many syrian wars (already two at 247 BCE.). But, in 247 BCE. Ptolemaios Philadelphos was at peace and expecting his half-grandson to occupy the throne of the seleucid empire. But things will not go as planned for him.

The war between Seleukos and Chandragupta was not very well documented. The only thing known is that Chandragupta won, and they forged a peace treaty. Seleukos ceded the lands "east of the Hindus" and many satrapies were given to Chandragupta. In return he was given war elephants. By 247 BCE. The buddhist religion and many other customs from the indians were being spread by emissaries and they had prosper trade. Most of the elephants of Antiochos came from the indians.

Parthia (satrapy) and Baktria declared their independence from the Seleukid king are at war with the empire. Baktria and Parthia have declared an alliance and are helping each other to fight against the seleucids. The satrapy will be conquered soon by the king Arashk (Arsaces) and will keep warring against the seleucids.

Family.
    Antiochos Theos - Faction leader
    Berenice
    Seleukos Ptolemaios (son of berenice) - 4 years old
    Laodice
    Antiochos Hierax
    Seleukos Kallinikos - Faction heir

Map

Aproximate extent of the seleucid empire in 200 BCE. (We couldn't find any of near 250. And we were lazy enough not to make it until we start with the map.

~Jirisys ()

Default Re: Preview 2: Arche Seleukeia

There have been some issues with our lack of time and we had to move this a week further.

Look at the bright side, you got an easter preview (except for our dear fans in Fiji (or most of the world for that matter )) and we don't have to do the newsletter again until 2 weeks from now :laugh4

Also, we had some problems with a few renders (two), and we will have to show them later. And no, it's not a strategy for you to subscribe to our thread

The seleucid army and tactics are virtually the same that those of Alexander, and the rest of the Diadochoi. The phalangites hold the line and the cavalry goes around the flank; smashes and pushes the enemy into the pikes. Meanwhile the phalanx and auxiliaries start to steamroll the enemy and make them rout.
    One advantage the seleucids had over the many other Diadochoi, was that they, along with Antigonos; had kept a large part of the noble cavalry and elite infantry. Making them very powerful on the battlefied. Elephants came from India, most likely as a trabe between the Mauryans.
    However, the many wars fought on so much territory left the seleucids without a good and solid army, but rather with many small and underarmed armies. The elites were mostly kept in reserve by the king and the battles he fought. As consequence of the two syrian wars. Both of those diadochoi's cavalry was becoming smaller, and without a good cavalry; the hammer and anvil tactic wasn't that rapid, and the infantry had to become more suited to prolongued and defensive fighting.

Infantry:
    The core of the army are the troops that utilize the ubiquitous phalanx formation. Though a bit inflexible and vulnerable in the rear and flanks, the Phalanx is nigh impenetrable from the front. The phalangites are armed with the Sarissa pike, a short sword and a small round shield.
    Klerouchoi phalangitai, Pezhetairoi, Chalkaspides, Argyraspides and Chrysaspides. One of the most powerful and renowned infantrymen in the world. Most of these men's fathers fought next to Alexander and earned glory and riches. The Phalanx-based infantry is at the apex of its glory. The low armored, shallow and mobile formations of Alexander have become armour covered, deep and shock infantry. Most of the hellenic nations use the phalanx. However, the romans, with their legions have dealt stinging blows to Pyrrhus' Phalanxes merely two decades ago.
    The phalanx, while useful, might need to adapt to the new realities of the ever shifting way of war. Other infantry units consist of the Royal Hypaspistai, used the same way as Alexander did.
    But now; with so many wars between diadochoi, the men are becoming more and more scarce. And, a collapse of phalanx warfare will begin. The ptolemaics have started using swordsmen from galatia as mercenaries, and are adapting to different warfare. The seleucids are bound to do the same.

Basilikoi Peltastai
    Royal Peltasts

Hail Basileu! You know these men. Well; you have seen them closely. These are a new form of shock infantry. They combine mobility and power. They are truly remarkable men; they bring with them a bundle of javelins, they throw them towards the enemy and cause many deaths. Then, these men pull out their swords, and then the slaughter begins. They are well armored and will serve you as the best flanking infantry since Alexandros' Hypaspistai.
    Also called Pheraspidai ("Those who carry shields"); they were one of the elite troops of the Diadochi. Armed with javelins, a round shield and a machaira. Those serving were required to possess excellent constitution and stamina, so it can be assumed that they were young men. They appear for the first time as the royal guard for the Antigonids. Their role was the same as the Hypaspistai during Alexander's campaign. Assaulting fortifications, walls and as shock infantry attacking the flanks, in support of the cavalry, as well as heavy skirmishing units. They wear an attic helmet and an aspis with royal decorations, similar to those of the hypaspistai.

Argyraspidai
    Silver-shield elite phalanx

Hail Basileu! These men are the best, most powerful, more armoured, and more trained men in the whole empire. They are armed like any other phalangites; but they are not like any of them. They are armoured with a linothorax and a bronzen attic helmet with pterygai. They are the best trained men of your empire. They will never be defeated, they are the best soldiers of hellas.
    The name silver shields is an honorific title first given to the Hypaspistai during the army reforms prior to Alexandros invasion of India. After the collapse of the empire, this unit was used by Seleukos I. Seleukos changed their role, and they became the elite phalangites of the empire. They were one of the best Phalanx-based troops in the Hellenistic world. They are armed like any regular phalangites; a sarissa spear and a xyphos as a side-arm; they wear silver shields, bronze greaves and a linothorax.

Chalkaspidai
    Bronze-shield elite phalanx

Hail Basileu! These men once fought alongside your enemy at Ipsos. They are brave, one of the best phalingitai of any army. Now, they fight alongside you, guarding the line, pushing and slaughtering when the cavalry flanks the enemy. They wear what our ancestors in Troia once wore, bronzen shield and bronzen helmet. They are truly, one of the masters of the battlefields. Now in your armies, they will slaughter any who wishes to oppose you!
    The chalkaspidai were elite phalangites from the antigonid ranks. The term bronze-shield was a title given by the macedonian king. The incorporation to the seleucid armies is quite a mistery. It is said that, after the defeat of Antigonos in Ipsos, they joined the seleucid armies because Seleukos was also a macedonian. Also it is said that they fled from the macedonian armies in Pydna to the seleucid ranks. Either way, they are very renowned for their might and mostly, armour. They wear a bronze thracian helmet and a common linothorax; as well as a bronze shield, the regular sarissa and a xyphos.

Chrysaspidai
    Gold-shield elite phalanx

Hail Basileu! These men shine when the sun is set up in the sky, their shields are worth more than the whole enemy army, and they can kill as much as they are worth. These men wear even more riches than you, but the enemy knows very well to fear both. These men will crush any enemy army that they face. They are the best of your army, and by far, the best of any army the world knows.
    Their name means "golden-shields" because they wear them with the Aigai Sun on their shield. Their rank was highly honorific, even above the Argyraspidai. We do not know much of this unit. Probably they were the king's guards. But according to Polybius, in the Daphnae parade, they were a phalanx unit, the most decorated one. Their total number was always 3000, a number that indicates us that they were the utmost elite of the seleucid army. They are armed like all the phalangites, with a sarissa and a xyphos; while armored with linothorax and small shields of gold, iron greaves and a golden phrygian helmet.

Akontistai
    Javelineers

Hail Basileu! These men are young and eager, while poor; they will advance in front of your men and engage the enemy, they stand brave; showing that even the poorest and less armored men are not afraid to stand in the face of the enemy. They are not good for fighting hand to hand, but they are very cheap to hire, they are useful for screening and annoying the enemy. They also make great fodder. But, remember that they are not very useful; their bravery doesn't make them effective on the battlefield.
    The Akontistai were one unit of the corps of psiloi, the Skirmishers of the hellenic armies. Armed with akontia (javelins) and a small knife; and armoured with cloth, a small shield, and their skin. Their primary role was to screen the enemy with javelins and then hide behind the phalanx lines. They also saw great use as guerilla fighters and ambushers since they were very flexible. Most of them were low-class citizens and peasants.

Hypaspistai
    Shield-bearers

Hail Basileu! These men fight the same way as the soldiers of the army of Megas Alexandros. They are as brave and powerful as they once where. But now, they are in command of yourself. These men, fighting alongside the phalanx, guarding their brothers, whilst also slaughtering any dumb soldier that tries to flank the wall of spears. They are one of the most well-known infantry of your armies. You are; after all, heir to Alexandros.
    They first were Alexander's personal bodyguards. They had many roles; from assaulting fortifications, shock infantry, or even as light infantry forming a connective link between the immobile phalanx and the cavalry. But later, the Diadochi reformed them and they began fighting like hoplites from yonder. For their skill and bravery, these men were very valuable for every king of the Diadochi. They are armoured like hellenistic hoplites, with a bronze aspis, with a golden attic helmet and bronze greaves, also the dory and a xyphos as a side-arm.

Klerouchoi Phalangitai
    Land-owning phalangites

Hail Basileu! These men were granted land by you, within all of them own vasts amounts of your soil; having their own farms and orchards. Their slaves and hired farmers are numerous, and their profits are great. No wonder they are so well armed and well armoured. They are not as well armored as the elite of our armies, but they sure have very expensive and good equipment. But do not misuse them, as they are our land owners, and they are not to be risked pointlessly.
    The klerouchoi were given land by the king in return of indefinite military service when the king asked for it. The klerouchia (colony) was first started by the athenians, in order to relieve the population problems that the city was facing, also having a greater and more trained group of soldiers within the colonies. The kleruchoi had good wealth because of what their lands produced. Therefore had slightly lower equipment than the elite phalangites. They are armoured with a small decorated bronze shield, a bronze attic helmet, and a linothorax.

Pezhetairoi
    Companion Phalanx Infantry

Hail Basileu! Thousands of these men form your main line. There, facing whatever the enemy might come at them with. They were once the mobile and lightly armored men of Alexandros; now they are the mowing machine of forward shock of your armies. They once moved around in blocks and made complex formations. Now, they sacrifice that mobility for the weight, protection and power that they impose on your enemies. Guard them well Basileos, as they will not think twice before falling back if flanked. Use them right; and no army in the world will be able to stop them!
    The Pezhetairoi were the soldiers who formed the main phalanx of Alexandros. They were the backbone of all the Diadochi armies. The Seleucids were using them extensively. Most of them are of hellenic and macedonian origin. They are a deadly machine, when used right. They wear a linothorax, a thracian helmet, iron greaves and they use a small shield. And their main weapon is sarissa. However, their disadvantage is their lack of flexibility and extreme vulnerability to flank attacks.

Thyreophoroi
    Thyreos-armoured Infantry

Hail Basileu! These men are at the end of our infantry lines, in the flanks of the the hypaspistai, or possibly behind them; hidden from the unaware enemy. While the enemy is being pinned down by our mighty phalangitai, and covered by our hypaspistai; they will show how nimble they are, running behind the enemy lines and strike them with ease. They are light but very well armed. They can also be very good hand to hand, as reserves, reinforcing and relieving the flanks of the phalangitai.
    The thyreophoroi are a new type of soldier, developped early in the third century BCE, they wear (as the name suggests) a thyreos; an oval shield in the style of the latin scutum; adopted possibly from either the illyrians and thracians, who themselves adopted it from the celtic warriors and raids to greece. They are armed with javelins and a dory for main offensive weapon. They wear a bronze macedonian helmet, and are great for flanking duties, and the lack of heavy armour makes them very nimble and fast, great for flanking and ambushing. Whilst having a big shield and good weaponry makes them very good for combat.

Machairophoroi
    Machaira-wielding Infantry

Hail Basileu! The barbaroi from the west have defeated very badly the mighty phalanx from Phillipos. We cannot risk our lands for keeping with the same armies as Alexandros, we would be crushed by these barbaroi. We will mimmick their style of troops and we will make it with hellenic weapons and armours. They will be surprised when they see, not the mighty phalanx of yonder again, and defeat us easily; but small packs of troops flanking them and utterly crushing them hand to hand. You will triumph Basileu! Hail Basileu ton Basileion!
    This regiment first appeared during Antiochus IV Epiphanes. After many disastrous defeats of the Seleucid army by the Romans, Antiochus made many reforms; he created this unit to be like the Roman legion and an upgrade of the classical thureophoroi and thorakitai. They wore a long shields (similar with the roman scutum), they were armed with a machaira and also carried two javelins.

Thorakitai Basilikou Agematos
    Armoured Royal Guard

Hail Basileu! Ah, the barbaroi may have bested our noble phalanx, but they have not seen, what the power of the Arche Seleukeia and it's Basileos has to offer! They will weep and cry like toddlers when they are faced with these men; they combine everything that is good. Even if it is barbarian. They wear iron cloths from the galatioi, long shields from the romaioi, and, the mighty machaira from hellas. They will not give one step back they will not be afraid to face and kill the barbaroi! Hail Basileu ton Basileion!
    These men replaced the Hypaspistai. They were very nimble, they carried javelins and swords. Their heavy armor and great skill in battle makes them perhaps one of the most effective offensive infantry available to the Seleucids. They are armoured with celtic maille covered by the clothes and and iron-plate incrusted linothorax and iron graves; a large shield and an iron helmet. They are armed with javelins and a machaira. They are truly, one of the toughest men on any battlefield.

Cavalry:
    Alexander commanded perhaps the finest cavalry force of that time. The cavalry of the seleucid army is a direct descendant of Alexander's; combined with new tactics and equipment from the hard learned lessons of the wars in Asia.
    The cavalry in the seleucid armies are still used the same way as they were used by Alexander. The infantry would hold the line as well as they could, and the cavalry would go around the flank and kill the enemy, also pushing them into the spears of the phalangites.
    They were mostly recruited from macedonian nobles and rich folk. The few light cavalry was not that powerful. However the bulk of the calvalry consisted of heavily armored men (and sometimes horses). Alexander joined with his companions to the engagement; some Diadochoi kept with this tradition.
    By the end of the diadochoi wars, most of the cavalry, nobles and rich men were dead and there was a lack of heavy cavalry to properly flank the enemy phalanx, and also protect their own phalanx. Therefore it was one of the main reasons the phalanx warfare decayed heavily and the romans defeated them easily.

Prodromoi
    Skirmisher Cavalry

Hail Basileu! These men go to the front, to the main battlefield to scout and harrass the enemy if they come near. They fight the same way they have fought since the days of Philippos, they are armed lightly; so they move quickly. They are not that useful for a frontal charge, or hand to hand combat. However, they are great for scouting and harrasing. They are also excellent for chasing and catching up even the lightest cavalry. They can kill thousands of coward men that are routing. These men are fast and they should be treated as any nimble and light cavalry.
    They were first recruited by Philip. Traditionally of thracian origin; they were the lightest cavalry unit in all the macedonian cavalry. During Alexander's campaigns, they performed scouting and harassing roles. In all the Diadochi armies, they were both scouts and skirmishers, due to their speed and flexibility. They are very effective for guerilla warfare and attacking light enemy troops; or even running down fleeing opponents in larger battles. They were equipped with javelins, a small shield, and a machaira for close combat, they wore a linothorax and a bronze phrygian helmet for armour.

Hetairoi
    Companion Cavalry

Hail Basileu! You, like many heirs of Alexandros have kept his style of warfare and troops. They are the best cavalry in the world. They will smash any enemy that stands in front of them. They truly the world's best, and how so; they were used by Alexandros in Leuctra, Gaugamela, Issos, and all of the battles. He stood with them, his friends and family, brave and bold; not afraid to charge with his men. Now you, my Basileos; you have in your hands the power of the men that fight like your family fought years ago. For you are the heir of Megas Alexandros! You are the Basileos ton Basileion!
    One of the elite cavalry units of the seleucid empire. Armed with a xyston lance and kopis sword, they are very trained in both of those weapons. They are armoured with an iron chestplate and a linothorax, they also wear a boiotoian helmet and his horse has a bronze plate on his forehead. In the army of Philip and Alexander, this unit was the utmost elite, recruited among the king's "friends". They were one of the heaviest and most powerful shock cavalry of the hellenistic armies. Every hellenic ruler adopted this powerful cavalry to his army, both as a sign of inheriting Alexander's power and rule, and because they were very powerful soldiers that could turn the tide of battle.

Agema
    Guard Cavalry

Hail Basileu! These men were a late addition to Alexandros' army; recruited from once barbarian lands, and made up of barbaroi; they still are as powerful and mighty as the Hetairoi. You alone hold the lands where they were always drafted from; you alone are able to field these men into battle. No other Diadochoi has these ferocious and deadly soldiers in their ranks. You have the advantage, oh Basileu. You inherited most of Alexandros' empire; you are his true heir, and only you can draft his army once again.
    They were first used by Alexander during his Indian campaign. They are drafted median nobility. The Agema was the best cavalry regiment the seleucids could field. They wore a bronze breastplate and cheries, a small shield and a bronze plate for the horses' forehead; the horse also wears some armour, a small shield and a bronze helmet. It is said that they escorted the king to the battle; after that, he either joined with the hetairoi or merged them together.

Epilektoi
    Chosen Cavalry

Hail Basileu! These men are powerful and deadly. Any enemy would flee before their mighty charge. Feared by any men who has heard of them, and how so; in the hills of Thessalia, there is no doubt they woild breed such powerful horsemen. These men are able to afford both beast and armament. They are truly the best of all mainland Hellas. They once fought for Alexandros; therefore, they must be in yours. Armed with a xyston and kopis, whilst wearing bronze greaves, bronze chestplate and a thessalian helmet with three pterygai; they shine upon the enemy, showing the might and riches of your empire, oh Basileu. They will see what the true diadochos of Alexandros is capable of. Hail Basileu ton Basileion!
    The apoikia (colony) of Larissa; in Thessaly, supplied cavalry to the seleucid king in accordance to an agreement struck with Seleukos Nikator. In return, the Basileus provided the land on which they settled. Thessalian Cavalry served also on Alexander’s army, the thessalian riders were famous for their skill and ferocity. However after the loss of Media to the parthians, the agema lost its recruiting grounds, so the epilektoi were given the title and job of the agema in it's stead.

Politikoi
    Citizien Cavalry

Sorry guys but we had a problem with the renders, so no renders for these guys :(

Hail Basileu! These men, from Seleukeia, Persepolis, Ipsos, Sardeis, Antiocheia; indeed, all poleis of your lands. They are rich citiziens, able to afford any equipment and horses that they require. They are decorated very differently from each polis to polis, however they all fight like prodromoi fight, light cavalry to harrass the enemy, so be careful not to send them out on a charge, because they will only kill themselves Basileu.
    The politikoi are the citizien cavalry, drafted from various poleis around the lands of the king, they were lightly armed and armored, but they were very nimble. Their role was that of any skirmisher cavalry; to harass the enemy and persecute routing soldiers. They are armed only with javelins and a machaira, they are armoured with a linothorax and a small shield. Their lack of heavy equipment makes them also vulnerable to enemy skirmishers, and cannot do well hand to hand with medium and heavy cavalry.

Hellenikoi Kataphraktoi
    Hellenic Cataphract Cavalry

Hail Basileu! The barbaroi have been beating us hard with their shiny and well armoured hippeis; it is such a disgrace not to be on par with them. But yet; we will be. These men, fielded with many mnai of weight, they are armored with both gold and silver. They carry golden cheires with golden shoulder plates, golden parthian helmet, golden leg cheires; iron plate armour for both the man and the beast. They shine in the face of the sun, and blind your enemies with their bright armour. They charge with vast and deadly power; now with a barbarian kontos instead of the hellenic xyston; they are truly the best cavalry the world will ever see, and no army; even the parthian army, will be able to face them and be victorious! Hail Basileos Megas!
    When the Seleukids faced opponents like Parthia and Bactria, whose cavalry dominated the battlefields; they quickly adopted their equipment. Heavily armoured and armed with the xyston. They quickly became one of the best cavalry regiments in the seleucid army. This cavalry was first used for the Seleucids during the great eastern campaigns of Antiochos Megas. Some researchers believe that this unit was recruited from the iranian and aryan part of the empire; others believe this corp recruited Hellenes as well. This regiment was more heavily armoured than the Parthian cataphract units, but the Hellenes officers did not quite understand how to use the advantages and minimize the drawbacks of this barbarian cavalry.

Somatophylakai tou Strategou
    General's Bodyguards

Hail Basileu! These men accompany you to battle, you know them very closely; like Alexandros and Philippos knew his hetairoi. They are your bodyguards, they accompany you closely when you travel in the fields, from polis to polis, in the camp behind your lines, protecting you from assassins sent by jealous rivals; or even in the battle, right close to you, the most trusted men, even before the hetairoi. They are the closest men to you, and they will die in order for you to live; and they will never retreat, they will only protect you when you retreat.
    The bodyguards are the closest men to any general, they will stand together right next to him and guard him with his life, they are very trusted and very well known. They are noblemen , trained in what is known as "Basilikous Paides" which was a school for noblemen and royalty. They are armoured with bronze and silver; being royalty, they can afford it. They carry a golden breastplate and golden attic helmet with pterygai (wings); both made of bronze, they wear many pteruges (flaps) on the vest; like a linothorax, they also wear iron cheires on their arm and iron greaves. Also they carry a bronze shield. For armament, they have a xyston lance and a xyphos as a sidearm. They are truly formidable, though there is no worse loss if they are killed, for it is the general itself that will die.

Chariots:
    The chariot was one of the main contingents of the achaemenid armies; while they were not so good at stopping and defeating Alexander's armies, they were very well countered, so their usefulness was not achieved fully. The vast plains of Asia Minor are well suited for chariot warfare (it was in fact where one of the largest chariot battles were fought). The chariot added more power and weight when charging, it could mow down enemy lines, crushing the soldiers under the hooves, wheels and body. The achaemenids added another deadly weapon, that was used by their predecessors; the scythe. The scythe (often many) was placed in the wheels and when the horses charged, the scythes would cut men in pieces, a very deadly weapon. However their vulnerability to both phalangites and skirmishers made it very poor to fight against hellenistic armies.

Drepanyphora Armata
    Scythed Chariots

Sorry guys, but there was a problem with the renders again. :(

Hail Basileu! There are war machines that never die; from the legendary men of Ur; say the babylonioi, from the vast fields of Mada; say the persai. For us hellenes, it was the arma of Zeus; Patir Theon kai anthropon, the first to use it. These men fight in the same machine that our gods ride on. Indeed; they are honourable. They are adorned with gold, from the plate that holds the wooden body together; they have golden pterygai like those of Hermes, to give them the speed of our gods. The horses are also armoured in gold as well as the rider; wearing cheires made of gold, helmets and masks of gold; they might wear the equipment of the persai and sakai, but they fight with the bravery and heart of any hellene.
    From the legacy of the sumerians, babylonians, egyptians, hittites, and more recently; the Achaemenid Empire, come these exotic chariots. They were deadly even against heavily armoured and tightly packed infantry or cavalry, especially if they were . They were deadly, a scythe bearing with four-horse so that makes em very fast. Though, they have many weaknesses against a professional army. They were always on the front of the army with the elephants, a tactic that may prove tricky if either of them run amok.

Elephants:
    The first elephants that Alexander saw were at Gaugamela, though they didn't participate in the battle, they were few, and he captured them. By the time he got to India, he heard that one of the host had around one thousand elephants, which was a number he could not manage to defeat. After the failed attempt of invading India, Seleukos agreed to a treaty with Chandragupta and the later gave Seleukos around 500 elephants.The seleucids were one of the few hellenistic that had a large number of elephants fit for battle; while their numbers were not as remarkable as the numbers the mauryans had, they certainly were descisive in hellenic warfare.

Indikoi Elephantes
    Indians Elephants

Hail Basileu! These mighty beasts weight more than hundreds of talentoi. They are big, powerful, angry, deadly; and more importantly, heavy as the earth itself, sitting on on Atlas' back. They carry iron tips on their tusks, so they can pierce and kill a man more easily. These beasts are from further east of our empire. We install the towers, in order to protect our weak and lightly armoured akontistai from dying easily. These beasts will scare your enemies, but be careful, as they become uncontrollable when scared or injured, so they will try to retreat, even if that means going through your own lines; so be careful with these barbarian beasts.
    When Seleukos Nikator and Chandragupta made their treaty, the mauryans agreed to supply the seleucids with elephants. So it came that the seleucids were using the most powerful war animal of the ancient armies. The Indian elephants are more aggressive and deadly than the Africans. They were first used by Seleukos during the battle of Ipsos, playing a pivotal role in the defeat of Antigonos. The seleucids continued to use the elephants supplied from India in many other battles.

Thorakitai Elephantes
    Armoured Elephants

Hail Basileu! It seems our regular elephants are no longer strong enough, that they die too easily; well my king, it seems that will not be a problem. It will be expensive, but they will not die as easily, and will be even more heavy; squishing even a full horse into purée for the vultures. They are armoured with bronze plates, in their legs and forehead. They are also covered in leather on their knees down. They also have bronze tust tips, instead of the regular iron ones. They are driven by Machairophoroi, one of our best protected men. These elephants will not be like the old pathetic beasts that we once used. Now these heavy animals will pound the enemy lines as easy as it is to crush an ant. This is the might of the Arche Seleukeia!
    Elephant armour is a seleucid innovation to be used on the traditional Indian war elephant. This innovation came to be because better protection was needed for the animals that were used to break enemy formations, since they suffered grievous injuries, either by spears or more importantly, javelins. All these injuries could make the animal stampede and run amok, trampling friend and foe alike. They were the ultimate seleucid shock cavalry.

Credits:
    Historians and researchers:
    -beos777
    -Hellenic Blade

Modelers:
    -Alkimachos
    -Boom S

Skinners:
    -Alkimachos
    -Boom S

2D Artist:
    -jirisys

Text and descriptions:
    -jirisys
    -beos777

Special Thanks to:
    -BoomS and the Fortuna Orbis team who supplied us with many models and their skins.
    -PROMETHEUS ts and the Res Gestae team who supplied us with many models and their skins.
    -dvk901, tone, pacco, leif_erikson and the Roma Surrectum team, who supplied us with many models and their skins.

~Jirisys ()

Default Moving Announcement

Greetings Rome: Total War Medieval II: Total War - Kingdoms fans. There are no preliminaries for this, you already got it right there. We are moving to M2:TW-K!

-Well yes, it might be quite a shock to you, but we have decided to pack our stuff and take the bus to the "Gargantuan Challenge" station. We will be alone in a sea of three companions closely related. But; the fact is, we, along with Europa Barbarorum II, Invasio Barbarorum and Paeninsula Italica, will be the few to have a pre-medieval, post dark-age greece mods out there, to reduce the scope even further. We, along with Europa Barbarorum II, will be the only hellenistic period mods out there. So, we will be helpless and mighty alone, therefore we will need all the help we can get; of course, wishing good luck to all these mods that are close to us; which are ever more complete. But don't worry; we will get there too.

-Our old thread here will still be kept and closed but now a new one will be in the Kingdoms mod development subforum. We will continue to bring out previews as best as we can, but now work will have to be less efficient, and more detailed; as we will have to make new models and textures for M2TW quality, we will still port our old ones for a little retouching .

-We had a little head chopping now after moving in, some because of unproductivity and a few because of AWL; though not to worry, we have parted on friendly terms and we hope we can bring them back (except the inactive guys, they were thrown out with a shovel).

-We have made a new logo, one that represents that AtB will suffer more changes, but still be itself at heart. Of higher res, to mimick what will happen with the quality of the game.
    Here it is (click to see full size):

-Also we have designed some new first glance sig images, and many banners for our official posts.

-There will be some new things to keep your interest, since we will have to go through so much, we will hardly do any faction previews soon; though that might have to change if we get enough help .

-We hope you like our vigour and perseverance and will help us out, as the seas will be rough and untamed from now on, we need all the crew we can get so we may beat these storms.

-You are always welcome to post in our forum (http://www.asiatonbarbaron.freeforums.org) with sources, tutorials, suggestions or even chit chat there.

-So much has happened and we wanted this to be an easter surprise, sadly the easter crisis (that's what I call to our recent overload of work, lack of free time, sleep and excesive stress that we went through) didn't let us do it in time .

-We will try to show you each unit as it has been given the seal of approval, now with more complete description and some game screenshots; with the possibility of having an open alpha (for custom battles) when all the units and factions are done.

-The AtB community, myself included, would like to thank all of those who have been supporting us, first in the EB subforums, then the RTW subforums; those who have been less than eager to support us, I hope we can get along better from now on . We hope most of you keep following the progress of the mod now, in the Kingdoms Mod Development subforum.

-Farewell to many; greetings to many more.

~Jirisys ()

Apprentice Geologist Member Blxz's Avatar

Default Re: Moving Announcement

Guess I'll just keep waiting. I guess I never really thought it would ever be finished. So now you are starting again for the second time, now in a whole new game....

Best of luck Jirys and team I will be supporting you and here's hoping it finishes before I die. =)
    Completed Campaigns:
    Macedonia EB 0.81 / Saby'n EB 1.1
    Qart'Hadarst EB 1.2 / Hai EB 1.2
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria
    donated by Brennus for attention to detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Blxz View Post
    Best of luck Jirys and team I will be supporting you and here's hoping it finishes before I die. =)
    lol, you must be really old. This will not take that long!

Quote Originally Posted by Populus Romanus View Post
    lol, you must be really old. This will not take that long!
    Well, you know. He expects EBII, he might as well build a time machine that can transport him two millenia later.

And then another for AtB.

~Jirisys ()

Hey Jirisys the map preview isn't posted here yet.