Thread: Ασια των βαρβαρων - Asia Ton Barbaron

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    JEBMMP Creator & AtB Maker Member jirisys's Avatar

Default Ασια των βαρβαρων - Asia Ton Barbaron

Greetings.
    Rome: Total War Fans.

We have traveled to the coldest places in the Tibetan Range. Assaulted nomadic caravans. Rushed through Argyraspidai formations. Stole Nabatu gold. Desecrated Buddhist temples. Collapsed nomadic altars. And ran towards Parthian Cataphracts.

Yet. We have found it. We have found the only thing that we need in this world! We have found the fountain of life my friends!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    However we decided to use it all on this mod. Now there's no more life-water for you. Sorry.

We present to you...

Ασια των βαρβαρων - Asia ton Barbaron

ΑΝΔΡΩΝ ΕΠΙΦΑΝΩΝ ΠΑΣΑ Η ΓΗ ΤΑΦΟΣ - The grave of great men is the whole Earth.

-Thucydides

It begins at the independence of the parthian satrap from the Seleucid Empire; soon to perish in the invasion and capture of his lands by Arsaces. The assasination of Berenice, her son, and the King Antiochos Theos will come right after, while Laodice will crown his son, Seleukos Kallinikos as the new king, starting a war with Ptolemy and a civil war with Kallinikos' brother, Antiochos Hierax. With the Mauryan Empire at it's peak and uncontested whilst ruling the lands of the Satavahana. Jarring conflicts in the lands of the Tamil kingdoms; always at war with each other. While the usual defeat of the nomads at the hands of the mighty Xiongnu. The Seleucid Empire in war by all sides; in the east; with Bactria and Parthia; in the west with the Pergameans and Bythinians. The Bosphoran Kingdom will have to keep the sarmatian horde at bay. The Armenian and Iberians with their small expansions. Pontos having to deal with piracy in it's waters and a soon to come conflict with the seleucids. The Wusun still holding itself after many raids from the Xiongnu. The world will soon meet the rise of two of the most remembered and large empires of this age. A truly exciting and very moved start. It will include extensive and comprehensive historical research, and brand new everything, since the timeframe is far from the one in vanilla. A mod unlike any other ever to this day.

Timeframe:
    247 BCE - 100 BCE

Map:

Members:
    -Leaders:
    jirisys
    beos777

-2D art:
    jirisys

-Skinners:
    Alkimachos

-Modelers:
    Alkimachos
    Valkar
    Moon

-Historians:
    beos777
    Gotenus
    Hellenic Blade
    Alkimachos
    Drtad
    Populus Romanus
    Manuel I Kommenos
    Eretna Beg
    Tanit
    ignoramus maximus

-Special thanks:
    mamik_yev_konak (Vartan)
    gamegeek2
    Boom S and the Fortuna Orbis team

We hope you will support and join our team so we may actually finish it. We will update the thread constantly so stay tuned.

If you wish to join or visit our development forums to hang around with us in the public section, you can do so by clicking HERE

Thank you for your support and assistance beforehand.

Sincerely, Jirisys, Beos777 and the whole AtB community

~Jirisys (Ασια των βαρβαρων)
    Last edited by jirisys; 05-10-2011 at 01:30.
    Because we all need to compensate...

Default Pre-Preview 1 - Introduction

-Thucydides

Greetings, Rome: Total Fans.
    From this day forward we will start bombarding you with previews, maybe this way we can increase our chances of getting our so needed modelers. And maybe get a little more interest coming our way.
    I also hope these few months will be enjoyable to us all and that we finish it in due time.

So; without further a-do.

--------------------------------

Oh great nobles, soldiers and countrymen! Men who make all kingdoms great, for without you, they would not survive, you bring wise advice, you offer protection from the onslaught of other men, whom their eyes are filled with jelousy and hatred; you bring food to all, you give your ruler's army what they most need when they are far from home. You are what keep together an empire, a kingdom, a city.

Yet the kings and emperors do not know much about what you see and what you know, for they are busy men, and cannot listen to every single subject of them. Now I must write what you know, to give it to my ruler, as he is always weary of what step to take next, please oh glorious men. Do not keep any secrets from me, as you will be keeping them from your king.

That is why he calls me, a man whose work is not known and not wanted. However, we have to do it, for the rulers need us, to understand what his lands need, and which ones will become annexed to his great rule.

But what of us? What word do we bring to our noblemen, our kings and emperors, our consules or autokratores?
    Well, here we are all reunited, gathered without any knowledge of the others, but knowing that they will not betray our secret, for the wrath of their rulers will not be the only ones that fall upon them.
    This meeting must be kept secret, our kings will not be happy to hear what we have done.

Now it is my turn to start this meeting, reading the writings that I gave the king a few days ago. His rule is great and his military might is greater, feared by even the bravest man of their lands. But no one knows how powerful we truly are.

~Jirisys ()

Default Official Announcement 1

-Thucydides

Official Announcement

Greeting, Total War Fans.
    I have several announcements to make from the whole team.
    I will not keep you waiting.

1. We are currently working hard on our next preview, however it is possible it will be delayed a few days, possibly until next week. Other matters require a lot from us too.
    2. A contest will be devised: After each preview, you can post here your guesses for the next faction we are going to preview, only one guess is allowed, and the first person to guess correctly before the next pre-preview will be granted Team Member Access to our development forum until the full preview comes out. Of course, as you may have deducted; team members can't participate in this contest.
    3. We are currently in dire need for a modeler and a skinner. While some of us can do a tad of both, we need someone who is can do more complex things. We urge you to help us, if you do; we might even get more and more previews sooner.
    4. Also here we would like to announce our 2D art; first one is the logo, which is in the first post of this thread. The second one is the official banner, used for each preview, announcement or newsletter in the forums. You can see it at the top of this post or on any other official posts.
    5. We will be making a bi-monthly (every two weeks) newsletter here; so you may see how big is our progress. Starting Monday, March 28th.

That is all. Thanks for your support and I hope you have a good day.

~Jirisys ()

Default Preview 1: Maurya Saamraajya

-Thucydides

Greetings.

We bring you our first full blown preview. I think you may have guessed obviously who we were talking about.
    However we had some troubles with the units, so we will preview them later, in a day or two maximum.
    But here it is. Without further waiting.

Enjoy!

Maurya Saamraajya

Maurya Empire

Hail mighty Saamrat! I bring forth in this artha-sasthra; great news to your noble presence.
    Your glorious rule has united all the tribes and kingdoms under one banner, yours!

Truly your wondrous achievements are none to me humble about emperor. Our crops span for thousands of yojana in the horizon, our farmers, busy with so much work to do, grateful to you, my great emperor.
    Our ships and carvans filled with many caturthikaa of spice, sold even in the most remote places in the world. Hundreds of ship travel to the land beyond of the yavanas.
    Our ratna and aamuktikaa still stand out from you and your entourage my emperor, wearing such beatiful array of colors. And I have even seen some of those not nobles have been seen wearing their precious colors on their ornaments.
    While taxes are not exhorbitant, we still make thousands of coins and our riches are greater than any other kingdom.

But certainly, what is an empire without an army? Never has the world seen such a large army, and never to be outdone by any single man, not in this world that is hundreds of thousands of infantry, tens of thousands of cavalry, around four thousand elephants and two thousand chariots! It's size imposes your noble will upon those that dare to defy you.
    Tamil poets write about the might of our armies, our elephants and chariots. No man shall ever think of fighting your great array of men, even the Kalinga, one of the bloodiest people on the world; had to surrender to your might and that of your army.
    We must also remember the futile and arrogant attempts of that yavana king to usurp your grandfather's lands, his weak and feeble troops were disrupted and routed with such an ease, that the reign was untouched; and the arrogant king had to ask for forgiveness. I myself cannot stand their impudence to try to capture lands from your might, and then try to apologize for such a dishonarable action, he should be beheaded and his reign be yours today. Any yavana is not to be trusted, as they will become vicious rats when you leave a single town undefended. You must be careful my emperor.
    But today; your armies are truly amazing and awe-inspiring, never will I see such great union of men standing together to fight. There is no single force in the world that could stop you.
    Every envious man says that your advanced age stops you from commanding such awe-inspiring army. Yet there is no brighter and wiser man than you in these lands, you have brought many kingdoms to their knees, and you mave made terror in millions of men's hearts. You; my emperor, are the mightiest of all commanders in the world, with no doubt!

But what about your efforts to feed our spirit? The teachings of Siddharthaa Buddha are being spread to tens of thousand of yojana, and all of those that wish to hear it; even those foreign yavanas, will purify their souls, behaving according to the Dharma, and even trying to attain nirvana, like the Buddha did sitting in his tree, There is no stop for the Buddha's wise teachings. While your age is great, there is no reason for you not to join the buddha in eternal happiness.

What else could stop you from spreading your name towards the world? Rocks are being carved with your edicts, all the people following their moral and social precepts. Everyone is joyous with your rule, as you have given them what not even the best king could have never given; you have given them happiness.

There is no stopping your rule, not now or ever.

Hail Saamrat Priya-Darshi!

Historically.
    The Mauryan Empire in now at its peak of power, with the largest economy and powerful standing army in the world. Now ruled by Asoka Maurya, 56, a skilled military tactician and wise statecraft-er under whom the empire has flourished to its greatness.

Asoka has adopted Buddhism and now follows an economic policy rather than a military subjugation or conquest after the end of the gruesome Kalinga war. Yet Mauryan empire's military spending was high as usual and mighty enough to suppress unrest in any corner off the empire and also defend against any invasion. Before around 3 years from now (250bc) Asoka has sent Buddhist missions to the Hellenistic states.

The Mauryan Empire included almost the whole of India except the extreme South. (Present day Kerala and Tamil nadu states) Asoka’s inscriptions refer to the Cheras as Keralaputras. The Mauryans traded with the Southern Kingdoms and had a strong relationship with the dominant Pandya kingdom.

Government.
    Mauryan empire followed a very large hierarchy with the Saamraat (The Emperor) on top and considered the absolute authority of the state. Several royal family members, relations, subjugated kings, chieftains, recruited generals and governors handled the affairs of a province and reported to the higher hierarchy above them. Taxes were regularly collected from land lords and merchants. The empire was ruled by the guidance of 'Artha-sasthra' (Manual of State-craft), which was a must read for any King within the Mauryan empire. All of them ruled with the help of their personal council of ministers. There were separate military and social tree of hierarchy below the Emperor. The 'Sena-pathi' (Supreme commander) being head of the military, 'Mukhya-manthri' (Prime minister) being the head of Social/Internal affairs and personal advisor to the Emperor. Spies monitored the actions outside and within the empire, they monitored all classes of people including those even close to the Kings and reported to their superiors who in turn is responsible for compiling and report it to the Kings and emperor. So the king would always get news about the mood and attitudes of the people. Women were also appointed as spies.

The central government was under the direct control of the Emperor. Though he was an absolute ruler, he was accessible to his subjects. He was the supreme head of the army. He was chief justice of the country. He was assisted by the Yuvaraja (Prince), the crown prince and the 'mantrins' or a council of ministers. There were officials like the Mahamatras. They looked after the day today work of the administration.

The Empire was divided into provinces, districts and villages. A prince or any other member of the royal family looked after the provinces. Officials called pradeshikas or Sthanikas were in charge of districts. The Gramanis acted as heads of the villages. Pataliputra was the Capital of the Mauryan Empire. Six boards or departments looked after the Municipal administration of the city of Pataliputra. Every board had five members. These boards looked after’ the subjects like Industries, Census, Trade, Manufactures and their sale, Collection of taxes and Welfare of foreigners living in the city. Similar form of government existed in other major cities of Tosali, Suvamagiri, Ujjain,Taxila and Mathura.

The principal revenue of the state was the land revenue, taxes from traders, artisans and professional taxes were also collected. The revenue was spent for the welfare of the people. The officers of the Government received their salaries in cash. The coins were made of silver. They were called punch coins because tiny symbols or designs were stamped or punched on them. These coins were also called Karshapanas. Most parts of the Mauryan Empire were linked by roads. There was one route to Nepal via Visali. Another road linked Pataliputra with Kalinga in Orissa. Traders, travelers, spies and soldiers used these roads. Men and goods were transported by river boats also. The king’s court at Pataliputra was the highest court of Justice. Judicial courts were set up in all parts of the country. Petty cases were decided by the village panchayats. Punishments were severe. The judicial officers were known as rajukas.

State of Diplomacy.
    Mauryans and Pandyans had a strong relationship, several Tamil poets (from the Pandya kingdom) wrote about the valour and prowess of the Mauryan army (especially about Mauryan Chariots). Pandyans were skilled elephant trainers and fielders and passed on their training to the Mauryan army. Smooth trade was ensured between both the factions. The subjugates of Pandya, the Chera and Pallava factions earlier opposed to overpowering growth of the Mauryans but later accepted their superiority and paid tributes to Mauryans and Pandyans. Relationship with the various south Indian kingdoms were warm at-least until the death of Asoka and the emergence of the Sathavahana tribe.

Mauryans under Asoka maintained a good relationship with the Bactrian/Indo-greek kingdom. They passed on the wisdom of Buddhism and trade flourished between both. But any Bactrian king will take any chance to take the rich Indian lands in case of any weakening of power in the Mauryan empire. Which happened during the Sunga period were the Indo-greeks established their rule in north western provinces of India.

The events of the war between Seleucus and Chandragupta are obscure. Seleucus crossed the Indus, and may have advanced towards the Ganges. If there were any major battles Chandragupta must have won them, and when the war ended (possibly in 303 BC) the peace was greatly to his advantage. Seleucus abandoned any claims east of the Indus and also transferred the satrapies of the Parapanisadai (around Kabul), Aria (around Heart) and Arachosia (around Kandahar) and possible eastern Gedrosia to Chandragupta. In return he was given 500 war elephants. The treaty was to be ratified by a marriage alliance between the two men. In addition to this treaty, Seleucus dispatched an ambassador, Megasthenes, to Chandragupta, and later Deimakos to his son Bindusara, at the Mauryan court at Pataliputra. Their relationship in this time line is not known, but either factions will try making use of the others weakening positions along their borders.

Sathavahana declared freedom after Asoka's death by around 230bc, They were a confederate unconquered subjugated tribes under the Mauryan empire from the Andhras before Asoka's death. They were buddhistic brahmins, and a fierce warrior tribes feared across the Dakhinapatha and Kalinga. After Asoka's death the declared their freedom and declared war against the Mauryan empire as they have grow very powerful under the peaceful era of Asoka. This also crippled the Mauryan empires relations with the southern's kingdoms due to disturbance in trade and other diplomatic activities. The continued pressing the Mauryan empire and later the Sungas until they emerged successful after the fall of both Mauryan, Sunga and later the Kanvas.

Yuezhi and Saka were commonly known to the Indian people as a fierce Saka clan. They surely have an eye for the rich Indus and Gangatic plains and Mauryans always on the watch to keep any clans subdued even before any threat would arise. They're currently in peace but war is inevitable.

Caste System.
    Indian society was caste dominant and people were divided into castes based on their profession. In most cases people belonging to a caste inherited their profession for generations, A change in Caste would apply in case of change in profession over a couple of generations or in-case of inter-caste marriages. There were four major castes

Major castes

Brahmana - priests, healers, poets, writers, teachers, artists, ministers belong to this caste (Usually tend to dominate the rest of the society).
    Ksatriya - emperor, professional warriors, generals, kings, governors, ministers belong to this caste (A caste that puts the safety of the state and its people above all and are hereditary warriors).
    Vaisya - merchants, traders, farmers, land lords, farmers and even spies belong to this caste (They are the highly taxed caste).
    Sudhra - peasants, labours, farmers belong to this caste (Considered the lower most caste).

Minor castes

Mleccha - Foreign settlers (usually 'yavanas' (Greeks) and saka).
    Zabara - Barbarian, nomad, tribe
    Yaakanaka - Beggars, untouchables

Mahabharata provides evidence of societies where caste was just a matter of personal choice. At MHB 8:45 is the following passage:

"Among the Bahlikas one at first becomes a Brahmana and then he becomes a Kshatriya. Indeed, a Vahika would, after that, become a Vaishya, and then a Shudra, and then a barber. Having become a barber, he would then again become a brahmana. Returning to the status of a brahmana, he would again become a slave. One person in a family becomes a brahmana: all the others act as they like."

There have been kings from all major castes, Pushyamitra sunga was a Brahmana, Chandragupta a born Sudhra and several minor Vaisya kings.
    This means any governor would have a trait based on his caste.

Family
    Royal Mauriya Family
    Asoka Mauriya, 56 - faction leader
    Priyadarsin, 49
    Kunala Mauriya, 35 - died (historically blinded)
    Dasaratha Mauriya, 23 - faction heir
    Jalauka, 22
    Tivara, 21
    Samprati Maurya, 18 - next faction heir
    Salisuka Maurya, 2
    Theevala (f), 20
    Charumathi (f), 19
    Bandhupalitha (f), 8

Other family members
    Karhavela, 16
    A Sunga member and Nanda dynasty remnants.

Cities and provinces

Signature Images:
    -Small (177x66)

-Userbar (350x19)

-Banner (500x90)

~Jirisys ()

Default Re: Preview 1: Maurya Saamraajya

Sorry for the delays guys, we had a lot of problems and issues that pushed this preview further and further. But finally, here it is.

Also stay tuned for the monday newsletter.

The Mauryan empire was the first empire that managed to unite all of India. This was partially because of their complex army structure. Like most ancient Indian armies, the Mauryan army had 4 types of troops- elephant (gaja), chariot (ratha), cavalry (turanga), and infantry (pada). The Mauryan army was composed of people all over the subcontinent. In addition, Chandragupta Maurya did not discriminate against different castes, as he was of low caste himself (reputedly he was the son of a peacock tamer ). As a result, there were soldiers in his army from all castes, making the army very diverse. The core of the army was composed of Uttarapathian warriors, from central and western India. Uttarapatha had many militaristic peoples – like the Kambojas, Yavanas, Sakas and Vardas. Other peoples in the Mauryan army were the Maghadas, Assamese, and Cheras. Even the Nagas (literally serpents, because they worshiped cobras), a mystical people to the east, were incorporated into the army.

The bulk of the Indian army, and most other armies in the world, were the infantry, or foot soldiers. The infantry were equipped with a huge variety of weapons, which differed hugely across India. Probably the most common weapon was the sword, but even this came in hundreds of shapes across India. Their armor differed greatly as well. Some kingdoms, especially the tribes wore no armour. Others wore tough sturdy metal armour or mail armour, made of interlocking iron, steel, and leather plates. Tribal warriors warriors wore no armor, but instead wore silk clothing. This actually worked to block arrows, which couldn’t penetrate silk. Indian archers used a bow similar to the English longbow, in that it was as tall as the person using it. However, Indian bows were also recurved. Armies in India were typically larger than those of Europe.

India was one of the first nations to implement tactics, divisions, and formations. Armies did not simply rush out onto the battlefield; there were commanders who carefully put their massive armies in intricate formations. Some formations were: Chakra (wheel) Vyuha, Suchi (needle) Vyuha, Chayana (hawk) Vyuha and Mala (garland), and Garuda (eagle). Another one I read about recently was the lotus formation, where the archers would be on the inside, and the infantry and cavalry would be arranged like a lotus flower, protecting them.

Infantry:
    The bulk of the Indian army, and most other armies in the world, were the infantry, or foot soldiers. The infantry were equipped with a huge variety of weapons, which differed hugely across India. Probably the most common weapon was the sword, but even this came in hundreds of shapes across India. Armies in India were typically larger than those of Europe. It was common to see armies of hundreds of thousands fighting on the battlefield, even thought the kingdoms themselves might be small in size. As infantry formed the majority of the army, a typical battle would look like a sea of infantry and cavalry fighting, while the chariots and elephants stood out.

Atavi Pattisena
    Indian Tribal Infantry

Hail Saamraat! These men are tribesmen from the vast reaches of your lands, not your most loyal servants, yet willing to fight alongside your men. But be careful; these men have no discipline, they will run and do what they will do as they please. They will not hear any order to stand ground, and will run and chase the enemy. They make great arrow fodder though.
    The Atavi Pattisena are soldiers from the subjugated tribes of india, they are not in the Mauryan professional and they were not trained very well, they are front line spearmen, they will die to protect the more well trained and well armed troops, but remember they are very undisciplined, so they will be fodder for the other army. They are armed poorly; a bamboo spear and javelins are their weapons, a wooden shield covered with animal skin; and only a small cloth to cover their legs and nether regions. These men are very cheap as they were from subjugated tribes, they can also hide in long grass and are good ambushers, as they are used for tribal warfare.

Atavi Dhanursena
    Indian Tribal Longbowmen

Hail Saamraat! These archers have been the fear of every army wandering alone in tribal lands; that is, until you subjugated them under your rule. Great ambushers, they are able to fire from a longer range than our own archers, yet their bows are weaker and less powerful. Still, you can outrange any archer of any army, you will be able to ambush any army that may wander in your lands, and they will not be able to see where the arrows are coming from, they could be useful for us Saamraat.
    The indian tribes used longbowmen for ambush, then; if necesary, would attack with the spearmen. They are armed with the bamboo longbow, they are given a greater range but less penetrating power; if they are faced in combat, they will draw out their two-handed swords, they have no shields and only a cloth to cover their nether regions and legs. These men; as they are tribal, they are cheap; and also great ambushers, they are nimble and can hide in long grass, but they suffer from the same problems that all tribal warriors suffer, their lack of discipline and formal training.

Maurya Pattisena
    Mauryan Spearmen

Hail Saamraat! These soldiers are the lowest rank of your armies, recruited from all over your empire and every caste is present in these spearmen. These men will serve you in battle as the front line, able to fight back the onslaught of the enemy army, but they are not very powerful, so be careful when using them.
    The Mauryan Spearmen were composed of all castes, they were the lowest tier of the professional army, they were trained and disciplined. They were armed with a throwing spear, a small round shield and a spear; they had a turban headgear and wore silk-linen from the waist up; and a cloth from the waist down.

Maurya Dhanursena
    Mauryan Longbowmen

Hail Saamraat! These men are trained in the prestigious art of archery, they are formidable foes, and they form part of your professional army. They use a powerful and intricate bow that can traverse through armor and skin. Truly formidable men. But they are not cheap, these men are trained in the finest art there is, therefore it is abominable to treat them as tribal men. But they will be worth twice their price.
    The art of archery was considered prestigious in the Mauryan society, these men were trained well and had good discipline. They are armed with a recurve longbow, a powerful bow that can send arrows far and kill medium-armored men in a single blow, they had a two-handed sword for melee and wore a bronze breastplate, a turban and cloth from the waist down. They are very expensive, as they are a prestigious group of men, but very useful for that price.

Shreni Asisena
    Mercenary Guild Swordsmen

Hail Saamraat! These men come from war schools, mercenary guilds. They are ferocious and well trained, very powerful and brave. These men have been taught how to war in good schools, now that they are ready to serve the highest bidder, you should go and buy their services, for they are mighty, and could serve you well in the main battle line.
    These men are trained in private mercenary guilds known as "Shreni" in northern India and "Porkulam" in Tamil lands. They have a moderate equipment to have a better cost of recruitment. They are considered as the second choice; after the state-run professional army. They are armed with a leaf sword and a wired interlocking metal armour for the waist up, a turban, and a cloth from the waist down, they carry a small flat shield and they are formidable warriors. However, as they are from a guild, they will not be as loyal as a men recruited from your lands will.

Maurya Asisena
    Mauryan Swordsmen

Hail Saamraat! These men are the medium rank of your army, they are trained with the sword and every caste is present within these swordsmen. They will fend off the onslaught of even the strongest army. They are not as cheap as the spearmen, but they are even more armored and powerful, use them wisely Saamraat.
    The swordsmen had more prestige than the spearmen, they were recruited everywhere in the empire and were the medium tier of the professional army. They were armed with a longsword and throwing spears, they had a round shield made of brass and silk-linen clothing with scale inserts for the upper body, a turban; and silk cloth from the waist down. They were trained professionally and are very deadly in close combat.

Magadh Asisena
    Magadha Swordsmen

Hail Saamraat! These swordsmen are formidable soldiers. They come from the regions close to the capital and are well-armed and well-armoured. They are one of the highest ranked soldiers in our armies, they are brave and very well trained. They are powerful soldiers and can hold the line even when hope for winning is lost. They are formidable soldiers Saamraat, worthy of being in your armies.
    The Magadha Swordsmen come from Magadha and nearby areas, they are highly ranked among the mauryan armies and are very well trained. They war an armor made of quality metal pieces joined using metal wires, which offers them great protection; they have a bronze dhal a bronze helmet. They are armed with a very prestigious Khanda sword and throwing spears. They're one of the best infantry fielded by the Mauryan armies.

Antarvamsik Asisena
    Royal Guard Swordsmen

Hail Saamraat! These men; brave sons of your generals and ministers, brave and bold to go to war with you. They are armored very well, and why wouldn't they? They are the brave sons of those nobles, they can buy the best armour there is. They have beautiful decorations on their armour and they stand out on the battlefield, as the most powerful infantry.
    The Royal guard consisted of Ksatriyas and other noblemen who were recruited personally by the royalty; they have a highly decorated bronze armour, a royal helmet that protects their face, a bronze dhal and various silk cloths. They are armed with throwing spears and a Khanda sword. They are the most powerful infantry in the mauryan army.

Cavalry:
    The cavalry of Indian armies is, for the most part, not noteworthy. The cavalry of the Middle Eastern and Arab armies were probably superior. There are exceptions though, the Kamboja guilds have good horses and were reputed cavalry in the sub-continent. Other than that Indian armies fielded only light to medium cavalry mainly for hit and run tactics or sword armed melee cavalry. India was not suitable for breeding horses; good quality horses had to be imported and only few afford to do it. Kingdoms and Empires like the Mauryans were; did have a state monopoly of horses and chariots and fielded considerable amount of light cavalry in Armies. The Kamboja guild on the other had was know for their reputed cavalry. The nobles owned good horses and would join the battle line as heavy malee cavary. Yet horses were not good enough to be armored and to be used as shock cavalry like the Hellenistic states and steppe Nomads, theirs were superior.

Maurya Asvarohi
    Mauryan Cavalry

Hail Saamraat! A horse with a man on it, nothing special or highly classed, they are great at riding, but they are not very useful as our infantry is in killing enemies, but they certainly are uncatchable by the enemy, and they can attack with distance; yet, I'm afraid they aren't good for melee, or anything else for that matter.
    These soldiers are light cavalry, they are used in a hit-and-run tactic, and they are a low ranking unit in the professional army. They are armed with a bundle of throwing spears, a spear and shield for melee. They wear a turban and silk-linen clothing. All castes were present in these men and they were recruited all over the empire.

Kamboja Asvarohi
    Kamboja Guild Cavalry

Hail Saamraat! These men are tough warriors, very strong and nimble; their greatness is known all over your lands. These men will suit your armies very well; and your enemies will die more easily. They can chop a man in two pieces with one hit, and they are also able to kill them from a distance; while their price is not that cheap, it certainly is very good for the men you will buy.
    These men come from Kamboja guilds, private military schools; they are famous throughout the empire, they were the prefered cavalry of all the men who wished to have a cavalry force. They are used in a hit-and-run tactic, armed with javelins, a sword and a dhal. They wear light scale armour from the waist up, silk cloth from the waist down, and a turban. They are not very expensive, but they are certainly, not cheap; however, as they are from a guild, they will not be as loyal as a men recruited from your lands will.

Antarvamsik Asvarohi
    Royal Guard Cavalry

Hail Saamraat! These men are brave noblemen, bold enough that they enlist in your armies and defend their fathers and families. These man are nobles, they can afford the best armour, but protect them, use them wisely, as their fathers are noblemen, and they will not be happy their sons gave their lives for nothing.
    These soldiers were mostly Ksatriyas and other noblemen, recruited personally by royalty. As such they had very expensive armour; they wore a decorated bronze breastplate, silk clothing; a very long broadsword, a bronze dhal, and a bronze helmet. They were a melee force, to give a huge impact and the broadsword makes it a prime meatgrinder.

Sanghapati
    Chieftan's Cavalry

Hail Saamraat! These men are the personal cavalry of the leaders of tribes or guilds that wish to join your armies in combat or subjugated to your wise rule. They are very skilled due to their years of training and they are used in a hit-and-run tactic; they are accustomed to tribal fighting, but we could use them in our armies.
    These men fight in the same way as the Mauryan Cavalry do. They have a light body armour, they are used as a hit-and-run force. They carry around a bundle of javelins, a broadsword and a dhal; also they wear a turban and silk clothing.

Chariots:
    Warfare in ancient India centered around the elephants and chariots. Indian chariots were nothing like the light, sleek chariots of other nations across the world. They were massive, made of wood and iron, and intricately decorated in gold. The archers, standing on the chariot, would be a good four or more feet off the ground, giving him a significant advantage over enemy infantry. Some chariots held more men, the largest could hold seven men. Indian chariots were so large and heavy that they required four to six horses to pull them. Unlike other chariots, which moved quickly and fired arrows into the enemy ranks, Indian chariots often charged right into melee battle. They crushed enemy soldiers under their wheels, trampled them under the horses, all while the soldier(s) on the chariot fired arrows into them, or fought it out hand to hand.

Yuddha Ratha
    War Chariots

Hail Saamraat! These war machines, finest amongst all of the world; powerful, nimble and very useful. They are manned by longbowmen, giving their powerful strength an enormous range. They will kill from a distance, and will be able to move away from retaliation at an incredible speed.
    These chariots are heavy and powerful, they are made of fine-quality wood and covered in metal. They are pulled by a crew of four horses and are manned by four Mauryan Longbowmen. However they can also mow down lines of infantry due to their heavy build and can run away very fast from any danger. They are very resistant and a great support for any army.

Elephants:
    The way in elephants were used in battle varied widely as well. One common tactic, used by Porus at the Hydaspes, was to place the elephants a distance apart, anywhere from 40 to 100 feet. These elephants would act like mobile fortresses, where the rest of the army could rally around. Another common tactic, probably the most dangerous and effective one, was to use the elephants to directly assault enemy lines. The elephants would be arranged in a wall formation, and be heavily armored in iron or steel from head to foot. Long steel swords, often coated with poison, would be attached to their tusks. Elephants are well armoured and well trained and are crewed by skilled Ksatriya archers who can sharp shoot enemies from enormous range. The elephant itself is a terrifying sight when it attacks. Indians are pioneers in training elephants for war and the way the deploy elephants in various formations are also way beyond comparison to any other military in the ancient factions. The elephants are armoured using heavy interlocking metal plates and are hard to penetrate. The mahouts would then drive them forward in a coordinated charge, wreaking havoc in enemy ranks. Archers or lancers on top of the elephants would pick off enemy soldiers as well. One king even went as far as to train his elephants to swing heavy iron balls on chains with their trunks. The very sight of a wall of heavily armored elephants charging, whirling huge iron balls with their trunks, their tusks tipped with poisoned swords, the soldiers on the elephant wielding enormous lances, would often cause the enemy to break ranks and flee.

Shreni Rana-Hasti
    Indian Mercenary Guild Elephants

Hail Saamraat! These men come from famous guilds, they trained to ride elephants that are bred and trained for war. They are famous in your lands, masters of inspiring fear in our enemies. They are powerful, they can crush and kill your enemies with their tusks. Many fine archers carry and man these beasts, capable of shooting as far as the eye can see. Truly your armies will be unstoppable with these.
    Shrenis are guilds and private mercenary academies that trained; amongst other things, war elephants. These elephants had an iron points in their tusks. They were manned by longbowmen, mostly bamboo longbowmen, as these had cheaper weaponry, they sat down, which gave the elephant more stability, were faster and deadlier. Elephants were used extensively among the indian tribes and kingdoms; it was not uncommon for many even semi-professional armies to make extensive use of them; however, as they are from a guild, they will not be as loyal as a men recruited from your lands will.

Yuddha-Hasti
    War Elephants

Hail Saamraat! These elephants are mighty, for their cheap price. Whilst being unarmored, they can really kill hundreds; if not thousands, of even the toughest soldiers. Manned by great longbowmen that can pierce the strongest armour. These men will make a fine addition to your armies, and will impose your might upon all who oppose you.
    These elephants; while unarmored, are nimble and strong, the lack of tower grants them speed and balance, making them truly deadly on the battlefield. They are manned by recurved-longbowmen from the Mauryan army, they sit on the elephant, allowing them to be more accurate and have more balance. He is only armed with a small iron tip on his tusk, and his mighty speed and weight.

Barma-Hasti
    Armoured Elephants

Hail Saamraat! These elephants, armoured in strong iron, boast the magnificence of your kingdom. Powerful, heavy, resilient, and also nimble. They are manned by fine archers and can kill many thousands of men easily. While they are armoured, they are still able to be killed, so use them wisely, as losing many men and elephants is very costly in the battlefield.
    These elephants are armoured in iron plates, covering most of their body. They are; however, even faster and deadlier than the yavana's towered elephants. They have a howdah, a small platform that allows the archers that man these beasts to kneel, they are three recurved-longbowmen; plus the one that drives the elephant. They wear body armour and they are to fire powerful shots a a great distance.

Senapathi-Angarakshak
    Mauryan General's Bodyguards

Hail Saamraat! These elephants are well known among you and your generals, as they; along with their riders, accompany you to battle. They stand beside your own elephant and are the most powerful beasts of any army. They are armored in iron, they are manned by three men from your entourage, they can kill a man until the eye can see, no matter how armoured they might be. If there is the need, you can charge your bodyguards towards the enemy lines and cause a massive panic and slaughter. But be careful when you do, we do not want to lose you, your family, or the noblemen that lead our soldiers in battle.
    These elephants are armoured in iron plates, they have a headplate made of brass or bronze; highly decorated, they are manned by three recurved-longbowmen from the sons of noblemen and high-ranking office holders. They kneel in the howdha made of wood and reinforced with iron. They are there to protect the family of the emperor, those that lead the armies. The elephants are nible and fast due to the small weight added in comparison to the towered ones. They an iron tip on their tusks and are a force to be reckoned with. They are loyal to the emperor and his family, as they are sons of noblemen, so they will die for their general. But they will kill thousands in the process. Truly an unstoppable force

Credits:
    Historians and researchers:
    -svramj
    -BoomS
    -Populus Romanus

Modelers:
    -svramj
    -BoomS

Skinners:
    -svramj
    -Alkimachos
    -jirisys

2D Artist:
    -jirisys

Text and descriptions:
    -jirisys

Special Thanks:
    Special Thanks to:
    -BoomS and the Fortuna Orbis team who supplied us with the elephant models and some infantry models
    -PROMETHEUS ts and the Res Gestae team who supplied us with some infantry models and the chariot model
    -Old Asia ton Barbaron team

~Jirisys ()

Default Newsletter 1

-Thucydides

Official Newsletter

Greetings.
    This is our first newsletter where we encompass things that happened between announcements, previews or other newsletters here. Also saying some things about the progress of the mod. So here it is; enjoy.

• We have started our "guess our next preview and get Team Member access from the day the pre-preview is posted until the preview is done" contest. So don't wait to participate; because...
    • The next preview is being prepared as we speak and the pre-preview will be done soon. If nobody guesses; nobody wins.
    • That means you will soon (possibly next month) you will see more cool and beautiful units from our roster; faction information and certain new stories.
    • We will keep working hard to get more and more previews, so to make new units and having quite a bit of our mod finished (and have our own subforum).
    • The next newsletter will be in 14 days. If there's a preview near that day; there will be no newsletter... For obvious reasons
    • This came early in cosideration of our fans in Fiji, that it is actually monday for them.

That is all.

Regards.

The Asia ton Barbaron team; and

~Jirisys ()