Thread: General command stars effect

Pincushioned Ashigaru Member Poulp''s Avatar

Default General command stars effect

version 1, schema general_command_star_level_effects_tables, guid b31384d3-145a-4bd8-9adf-40d8cb4d171d
    unknown1(int) unknown2(int) unknown3(int) unknown4(int) unknown5(int)
    0 0 0 0 0
    2 1 0 0 2
    2 2 1 1 2
    3 3 1 1 3
    3 4 2 2 3
    4 5 2 2 4
    4 6 3 3 4
    5 7 3 3 5
    5 8 4 4 5
    6 9 4 4 6

What you're seeing is the extracted table in a spreadsheet.
    Now it needs deciphering.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Poulp'; 05-10-2011 at 20:43. Reason: attachment, glaring typos

Default Re: General command stars effect

I believe, on no ground, that the second column refers to the number of stars.

If this is the case, it'd mean that a 10+ star general has as much effect as a 9-star one. And that the stars effects only 4 others entries. Or maybe 2 if there's a split up between SP and MP.

The first one is the number of stars for the general, probably. Then no difference to the army with no general or a 1-star general. Int3 and Int4 are probably attack and defense bonus, and int5 is morale bonus, those would be my guesses.

ridiculously suspicious Member TheLastDays's Avatar

I actually think column 2 is command stars, as the OP suggests. YOur guess for 3-5 could be correct though so that leaves column 1 open... and it makes me wonder why it's put before command stars
    I hear the voice of the watchmen!

New Mafia Game: Hunt for The Fox

Quote Originally Posted by Poulp' View Post
    (...)that the stars effects only 4 others entries. Or maybe 2 if there's a split up between SP and MP.
    Taking a second look at the db, stats could also be split between land bonus and naval bonus.

And inquiring into unit_stats deeper, I narrowed (again, only gut feeling) my list to 6 suspects:
    morale, melee skill, defense skill, dismounted melee skill, dismounted defense skill, charge bonus.

Interestingly enough, here's the headers for unit_stats_land_experience_bonuses_tables:
    Experience_Level(string) Melee_Bonus(int) Defense_Bonus(int) Reloading_Bonus(int) Morale_Bonus(int) Accuracy_Bonus(int) unknown1(int) unknown2(int) unknown3(float)
    All nine entries are filed.

For reference, taken from the encyclopedia
    level 9 exp
    +7 attack skill
    +7 defense skill
    +18 reload skill
    +18 accuracy skill
    + 6 morale
    -3 fatigue

exp bonus.xls

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastDays View Post
    that leaves column 1 open... and it makes me wonder why it's put before command stars
    No idea, the column may even have been... neutralized and the developpers didn't bother removing it.
    You find lots of column headers reminiscent of NTW in some tables.

55. What are the yellow stars beside the characters and what do they represent?

A: Unlike previous TW games stars serve two purposes: Level rank and base stats. Base stats allow characters such as agents a "base" chance rating to missions: their traits and retinue give additional bonus stat ratings, which are reflected in the green starts in their detail panels. Thus, a Level 6 (Max) Ninja that has selected ONLY the Assassination traits will only show Assassination bonuses, since no other bonuses were chosen. The "base" stats, in this case being 6, remains the same with all other abilities, reflecting the Ninja's proficiency at other abilities on top of his specializations.
    This is the same for your Generals, whereas on top of the bonus skill traits and retinue that you can choose for your general, their levels gives a base stat to morale, attack and defence, complemented by chosen bonuses.
    That's what he says. Morale, attack, defense and a dummy or dummied column.
    Playtesting will tell the truth.
    Last edited by Poulp'; 05-10-2011 at 20:54.

I obtained this information from CA for my guide. Since it's still a way from publication I thought I'd share it now.

“Generals’ command stars relate to the morale bonuses a general gets. There are two bonus, a nearby bonus which is big but applied only over a certain distance and an alive bonus which is smaller. Both are increased as a general gains command stars.”
    Thanks to Lusted and Craig for providing the info.

If you want to spread the news around the community please mention the source so people know it's solid.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

I am confused. Here you wrote that the latest patch
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    "Removed passive ‘encourage friendly morale’ bonus from General’s units". Does that mean the blue circle doesn't give a boost now? Or did the general used to give a minor boost to units nearby but outside the circle as per the old days?
    So is that a contradiction to the "nearby" bonus referred to by CA?
    Last edited by xploring; 05-26-2011 at 01:22.

That information came from CA post patch so I would trust that it's still current. It matches what I see in the game; big morale hit when the general dies (removal of the 'alive' bonus), and a boost for any unit within the blue circle (the nearby bonus).

The patch readme on that part is unclear, no one in the community seems to know what it means. The fact it refers to "general's units" rather than "general" may be important. I now wonder if the general's bodyguard unit used to give a proximity morale boost in the same way certain elite units have in other TW games. That would be in addition to the general's own 2 boosts. The patch could remove that bonus leaving just the 2 general related boosts.

Alternately, maybe it relates to having multiple general's bodyguard units in the same battle? Only the man in charge should give a bonus; perhaps the other bodyguard units were acting as if they gave a proximity bonus?
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

I now wonder if the general's bodyguard unit used to give a proximity morale boost in the same way certain elite units have in other TW games. That would be in addition to the general's own 2 boosts. The patch could remove that bonus leaving just the 2 general related boosts.
    Bingo.
    Unit Design Lead

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lusted View Post
    Bingo.
    Woo! What do I win?

Thanks very much for confirming that.