Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody enjoying Game of Thrones? (HBO TV series)

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: Anybody enjoying Game of Thrones? (HBO TV series)

Just watched the first two episodes.
    Really quite a smash!
    I also just ordered the first four of the books on Amazon.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    deadwood and boardwalk empire are quality shows too!
    I enjoyed the first two episodes of Boardwalk Empire but it just went downhill so fast from there.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scienter View Post
    I'm really excited about this week's episode! Spoiler for people who haven't read the books:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I think this is the episode where Viserys dies!! I love to hate him, his death scene should be fun! The actor is doing such a great job with Viserys, though. He's got the right combination of haughtiness and looking like a weasel. He adds more depth to the character than was provided in the books.
    Going by the title of the episode, I think you're going to get your wish.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

It is known.

Ok, who saw last nights episode?

It was amazing. I loved it.

As others have suggested, Viserys has an amazing death in the episode!
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

This thread is going to degenerate into a mass of spoiler tags, so it will be hard to participate without risking reading something much further on in the story. I suggest that we use spoilers for anything in the books that has not yet appeared on TV but are free to discuss the latest episodes without them. [I clicked on Hooahguy's spoiler to get his reaction to last nights episode, which was fine, but then was emboldened to click on CountArach's spoiler which I regret reading. Entirely my own fault, but if we don't differentiate between the two kinds of spoiler, others may make the same mistake.]

I will edit my first post to suggest this convention on spoilers.

Back on topic, I am still greatly enjoying the series - the plot, in particular, is very satisfying. It is like watching a slow motion train wreck - things are all going to hell. But there are enough twists and turns to keep it interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    My favorite characters are Tyrion, the erudite sardonic dwarf, and Arya, the twelve year old tomboy.
    I will totally agree with you there. Those two characters are superb. Tyrion, while you want to see him as this evil character and you want to hate, you just cant. While he is a Lannister, and the twins I really hate, this one I just love because he is often wise and really quite funny.

Arya is just awesome. Nuff said.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    I will totally agree with you there. Those two characters are superb. Tyrion, while you want to see him as this evil character and you want to hate, you just cant. While he is a Lannister, and the twins I really hate, this one I just love because he is often wise and really quite funny.

Arya is just awesome. Nuff said.
    Tyrion isn't evil. And surprise surprise a vast majority of book readers love him as well. As well as Arya. This is incredibly heartening to see that the some of the books more beloved characters are loved in this series as well.

Do people like Jaime as well? And Jon also.

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post
    Tyrion isn't evil. And surprise surprise a vast majority of book readers love him as well. As well as Arya. This is incredibly heartening to see that the some of the books more beloved characters are loved in this series as well.

Do people like Jaime as well? And Jon also.
    I never said he was evil, but, if I can speak for the population, people want to see him as an evil person because Ned and the Starks are commonly seen as the "good guys" in all this, and because they are opposed to the Lannisters. But when people see more of Tyrion, they see that he is quite the opposite of their expectations.

I like Jon. I feel that a lot of what he does is a sense of regret for his personal struggles.

And I just hate Jaime. No way do I identify with him at all, hes just a jerk.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Do people like Jaime as well?
    Well, Jaime has not really done anything likeable in the TV series. As a so far pretty evil character, I think he (and his sister) are superb. Someone said that the actor looked like he had walked in from another series (maybe Dynasty or some other glossy 1980s US drama) but that this was actually just right for the part. Urbane, charming, formiddable and utterly amoral, he makes an impression. I am also rather in awe of the actress playing Cersei. Halfway through the first book, I can see that original source material accounts for much of the strength of the TV drama. But she has added a lot to her part - fleshing it out, to make her character appear both more thoughtful and more emotionally intelligent than in the book. The twins certainly make excellent antagonists for the rougher hewn and straight talking Starks.

And Jon also.
    I regard him as the "everyman" character in the TV show and perhaps the one through whose eyes we are supposed to see the world. An outsider with a kinder sensibility than most, he has a youthful innocence and doleful curiosity. I'm not sure how much we will see of the Wall and what's beyond - I suspect they are going to be revealed in a very long story arc - but they are a very intriguing setting.
    Last edited by econ21; 05-24-2011 at 23:45.

I actually think that Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, who plays Jaime, looks a lot like Aaron Eckhart.

Also, what do people think of Daenerys? I really like her, great character.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 05-24-2011 at 23:15.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Also, what do people think of Daenerys? I really like her, great character.
    I agree - another of several strong female parts in the series. But part of me thinks King Robert's instincts about her were right.

Ugh you guys have to read the books your all killing me.

Seriously these are probably the deepest most refined fantasy novels I have ever read. I have been waiting for Martin to write the next one forever. Your opinions of people will change so much as you learn more and read more you will be shocked and amazed at the crafting. Also and this doesn't really ruin anytihng because you will likely never see any of this coming Martin is not afraid to kill off major characters even those whose eyes we read the books through.

I don't know whether that last sentence should be put into spoilers or not. I know that it's one of the things that surprised me the most about the books, even infuriated me at times.

It took me all the way to the Red Wedding to realize that NO ONE, ABSOLUETELY NO ONE is safe from getting killed in these books.

Also, I love the cast. All major characters have been spot on for me so far. The only thing that I always imagined different are the places. I didn't picture King's Landing to be so warm or the Eyre looking the way it does. The Sky Cells are spot on for example, but I imagined the rest differently. And no reading could prepare me just how massive the Great Wall is, also it wouldn't make sense any other way.
    Last edited by Ituralde; 05-25-2011 at 13:18.
    The lions sing and the hills take flight.
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

—chant from a children's game heard in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

One thing that is unavoidable, I suppose, is how much smaller each scene seems to be compared to the books. The tourney, for example. In the books it's a multi-day affair with hundreds of knights competing, but why waste the time and money to show that? Instead we see two whole jousts. Not complaining, mind you, could be worse; I'm old enough to remember the BBC I, Caludius, where a suspicious number of scenes were framed as, Just before we witness that massive event, let's pause in this stairway to discuss matters of state.

Likewise, the infamous crown of gold scene. In the TV show it takes place in a tent about the size of a living room. In the books, as I recall, it occurred at a giant feast of the horse lords, with hundreds drinking and singing. Hence the dragon prince's difficulty in finding his sister, which made little-to-no sense in a living room.

Look, the cast is perfect, and the adaptation is excellent. I just wish they had an infinite budget and schedule so they could make every scene as epic as it ought to be. Idle grousing.

And Tyrion is one of the best characters ever created.
    Last edited by Lemur; 05-25-2011 at 16:06.

You always have to condense it, but they stay admirably close to the books.

Except for the Loras/Renley interlude or is my memory failing me here? Is a relationship between them ever described explicitly in the book or are there just hints? Seems like I do have to read the books again.
    The lions sing and the hills take flight.
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

—chant from a children's game heard in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ituralde View Post
    Except for the Loras/Renley interlude or is my memory failing me here? Is a relationship between them ever described explicitly in the book or are there just hints? Seems like I do have to read the books again.
    The TV show makes explicit a relationship that was implicit in the books. There are several times when maidens and wenches sigh over the Knight of Flowers, and various characters snicker about how unfulfilled those women will be. Likewise, Loras was Renley's page (or maybe the other way around? I forget), and their relationship is described as close. There's also the issue of whether or not Renley's eventual wife stays a virgin, which has plot implications, but several people think she is, for reasons left unsaid.

Anyway, both Loras and Renley are implied to be gay. No scene of them shaving one another, though; that's an addition from the show. There are two explicit lesbian scenes in the books that I remember, but no hot man-on-man action.

Like I said, I'm not complaining, just idly grousing about the semi-epic rendition of an epic. Could be worse. I'd love to see a big-budget remake of I, Claudius in my lifetime. That still stands as the high-water mark for a low-budget rendition of a massive story. Sure, a great script and fantastic actors made up the difference, but it's hard to see a black-box theatrical take on a story as big as Lord of the Rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    Hence the dragon prince's difficulty in finding his sister, which made little-to-no sense in a living room.
    I just thought he had trouble finding her because he was drunk.

But mind you, Im only on page 103 of the first book...
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great series.

And Tyrion is one of the best characters ever created.
    Definitely and without doubt.
    Last edited by Beskar; 05-26-2011 at 04:30.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

I watched the first one largely because of this thread and almost didn't bother with the second. It seemed like an hour long episode of Xena, absent the warrior princess (if that makes any sense.)

After the second, though, I was hooked. The characters are dynamic and the plot lines are quite intricate. Fun stuff.

everybody read the books! i dont care hopw good the episodes are and how old this cliche is the books are always better.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Already the books were quite cheap, so I ordered them all and pre-ordered the new one coming out in July.

However, the TV series is very good and probably will do the books a lot of justice.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

From what I hear the series is so far good stuff. I wont be watching it until Martin releases his next novel in protest (so like this fall). Also I do not have HBO so I will wait for the discs which I prefer anyway.

But the novels will blow you away. Imagine the series not limited by budget constraints and real world physics. Simply amazing in thier depth intrigue and grandeur

From what I hear the series is so far good stuff. I wont be watching it until Martin releases his next novel in protest (so like this fall).
    I think you will love the series. I've been reading the first book as I watch the TV series and it is very faithful. Yes, stuff gets cut but most of the good dialogue is straight out of the books and it seems extremely faithful to it. The acting and production values are so good that some of the deviations from the book are improvements. For example, the opening to the TV series with the White Walkers that I linked to in the first post. And the more nuanced characterisation of Cersei that I've mentioned before. But also some smaller things - for example, this week there was a nice little exchange between Ned, Arya and Sansa about why Sansa should not marry the odious little prince Joffrey.

Ned reassures Sansa: "I will find you someone brave, kind and strong to marry..."

Sansa exclaims petulantly: "I don't want to marry someone brave, kind and strong - I want Joffrey!"

Ned and Arya then exchange a lovely little private father-daughter look. I didn't pick it up the irony of Sansa's outburst in the book, but those two actors are so good, it was a delight.

Blog Entries

I'm realy fond of the opening with the clockwork map, I hope they can make some sort of model out of it, I'd love to have even one of those cities.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Already the books were quite cheap, so I ordered them all and pre-ordered the new one coming out in July.
    Yeah, they are very cheap. I got the first four in a pack for around $20.
    I wont be watching it until Martin releases his next novel in protest (so like this fall).
    Amazon says that it will be released on July 12. Dont know if thats true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    I'm realy fond of the opening with the clockwork map, I hope they can make some sort of model out of it, I'd love to have even one of those cities.
    Same! I would love a replica of Winterfell!
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Finished all the books. Man did A Feast for Crows suck. :/

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    Finished all the books. Man did A Feast for Crows suck. :/
    About to start it myself. That's what I've heard so far but at this point I'm too hooked to even consider skipping it.
    Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 05-27-2011 at 04:50.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

By all means press on; it's not half bad, objectively. But I found myself slogging through it for the second-hand glimpses about people and characters I actually care about.

Also, the Blackfish is my favorite character.

theres nothing wrong with feast of crows? it isnt as strong as the others but its still good.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast