Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody enjoying Game of Thrones? (HBO TV series)

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Default Re: Anybody enjoying Game of Thrones? (HBO TV series)

I think he was one of the people who got *less* sympathetic from the books. He got more "screen time" in the books, and at least in this season he's mostly just running about and being harsh but fair.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Holy hell that was amazing.

When Dany was speaking in Valyrian, hell that whole scene, gave me chills.

Fantastic episode, cant wait until next week!
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Member thankful for this post:

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Khaleesi! Khaleesi FTW!
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

I knew Khaleesi wouldn't let me down, I just knew it!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The nonexistent hitting on the decrepit

"Dracarys!"

Khaleesi

Khaleesi and the Unsullied

PS: Please markup the spoilers from the books as well; not that you haven't been doing so, just a reminder
    Last edited by Mouzafphaerre; 04-22-2013 at 15:21.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouzafphaerre View Post
    ​I knew Khaleesi wouldn't let me down, I just knew it!
    She's looking extra saucy in that scene.

I don't really get the Theon scenes. I guess they don't want to essentially shelve the character for a couple of seasons, but the alternative just doesn't make sense. Theon was Eddard Stark's ward for what, 7-9 years? In all that time he wouldn't have traveled to Deepwood Motte or the Dreadfort on visits to Stark bannermen? It just seems a little forced, and there are lots of other storylines that could be taking the minutes. We should only be seeing bits and pieces of Theon (pun intended).

My guess on the Jaime/RW replacement storyline
    Bolton will know that Locke has Jaime, and uses that knowledge to turn Karstark against Robb by promising Jaime to him for the RW betrayal. I'm guessing Karstark gets killed during the RW (maybe by the Greatjon) instead of Robb beheading him for the killing of the Lannister prisoners. Bolton then releases Jaime (and I assume Brienne) afterwards to Tywin.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Best episode this season. They're really setting the bar high. Every scene was full of win. Specially Tywin's scene with Cersei. He really puts her in her place.
    And Mormont goes out like a boss.

The nonexistent hitting on the decrepit
    That and Varys' reaction was perhaps one of the funniest bits in all the episodes till date.

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    My guess on the Jaime/RW replacement storyline
    Bolton will know that Locke has Jaime, and uses that knowledge to turn Karstark against Robb by promising Jaime to him for the RW betrayal. I'm guessing Karstark gets killed during the RW (maybe by the Greatjon) instead of Robb beheading him for the killing of the Lannister prisoners. Bolton then releases Jaime (and I assume Brienne) afterwards to Tywin.
    They showed the young Lannisters last episode....doesn't Karstark kill them?

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Quote Originally Posted by rajpoot View Post
    They showed the young Lannisters last episode....doesn't Karstark kill them?
    Yes, but he killed them more or less right after Catelyn let Jaime go. Karstark has been somewhat civil up to this point, which is what leads me to believe Bolton will turn him with Jaime as leverage. In the end, it might even be Bolton that kills Karstark, as he knows he needs Jaime alive to get into Tywin's favor.

The Queen of Thorns has not disappointed, great casting.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

Yes, but he killed them more or less right after Catelyn let Jaime go. Karstark has been somewhat civil up to this point, which is what leads me to believe Bolton will turn him with Jaime as leverage. In the end, it might even be Bolton that kills Karstark, as he knows he needs Jaime alive to get into Tywin's favor.

The Queen of Thorns has not disappointed, great casting.
    Rob has to be the one who wields the sword when Karstark is given a death sentence for killing the young Lannisters….that’s how its done in the North. It would be too big of a departure for it to go any other way. But I like your theory on Bolton’s involvement, takes the behind the scenes scheming with Tywin all the way thru the various story arcs
    The state which separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools – Thucydides

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Godfrey View Post
    Rob has to be the one who wields the sword when Karstark is given a death sentence for killing the young Lannisters….that’s how its done in the North. It would be too big of a departure for it to go any other way. But I like your theory on Bolton’s involvement, takes the behind the scenes scheming with Tywin all the way thru the various story arcs
    I think they reworked the plot to avoid that altogether. I'm thinking the Karstark story arc was too minor for the show, at this late date there would be no point in Karstark killing the Lannisters and getting justice from Robb. Jaime was freed 7 episodes ago, and it would take too many scenes to get Rickard on the block. Why not just roll it all into the RW plot, with the same consequences (dead Karstark, Robb with a wolf's head, a freed Jaime, and Bolton becoming the cunning Warden of the North)? The RW is episode 9, they have only just introduced Edmure and still need to set him up the bomb.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

I think they might just not even address the Karstark side plot. Isn't the only consequence in the books that Robb loses the Karstark soldiers and they later on decide to side against Stannis/the North? It's a revealing sideplot, but it's still largely self-contained.

As for the show, Karstark Prime is just one of the half-dozen salty Northern Lords who say Ominous Things to Robb, like the Greatjon.

EDIT: also jumping on the "best episode so far" bandwagon.

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Okay I am a bit lost with all the names (I recognise them by look rather than name)

Before I do start writing anything I want to check the rules we are using for spoilers, spoilers are only for things in the books whereas information from the latest episode released in America is okay?

Loved the latest episode, that Queen of thorns (I assume) is quite an entertaining character, loving her daughter's manipulation as well.
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

I've spent the past two weeks catching up, and now I'm finally current. I can't believe I've waiting so long to get into this show.

Sunday's episode was intense, and almost seemed like a late season episode. I hate having to wait for new episodes now.
    Last edited by Spoonska; 04-26-2013 at 04:13.
    I like to stream

Welcome to the forum Spoonska

I am going to assume we can post without spoiler on latest American episodes, if required please edit to put the spoilers in.

Couldn't believe when they cut off his hand, fair play to the big girl though she seems to have some genuine care for him (or perhaps just repayment for the suffering he saved her from) unless she really is that committed to her mission.

Looking forward to seeing what happens with the big soldier guy with the scarred face (I should probably learn some names at some point, they mostly seem to slip from my mind when the show isn't on) fights.

I am very interested in the religious woman who is advising the one potential leader, seems so confident and assured of herself.

Absolutely loving the dragon queen, she seems to have it all, beauty, morality (well in comparison to most others) bravery and she isn't stupid either (from what I can tell so far)

Very much looking forward to seeing her armies and dragons in action.
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

I'm usually not a fan of TV shows and the like, I never had the determination to go right through the end, but I have to say Game of Thrones gripped me big time. Even if I know what's happening beforehand (read... no, devoured! the books).

Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Oh my that was simply an excellent episode, this season has been a blast so far and I imagine will only get better!

The Karstark execution scene gave me chills, very, very well done!

Jaime's scene in the tub was also a high point of the episode, they really casted him well.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

And I stand corrected.

And I stand corrected.
    Aye, and what a scene it was. I still have chills when I think of it. And the music just went so well with it.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Didn't like the
    duel at the opening of the episode. It was modern day gibberish, strangled by too quick sequencing.
    The rest was a blast

Didn't like the
    duel at the opening of the episode. It was modern day gibberish, strangled by too quick sequencing.
    In all fairness, it's probably pretty difficult to film a sword fight, in a dark cave, with a sword and shield on fire and lots of people about.

Lots of good stuff. Robb's slow but inevitable descent, Shireen and Davos, Tywin putting his kids in their place, and of course the bath scene. Probably wins the award for the highest number of main characters showing their rear ends in a given episode.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

igrids rearview was the best.

tub scene was very good, but not for the rearviews. i forgot that jaime was actually likeable.
    Last edited by The Stranger; 05-01-2013 at 04:58.

We do not sow.

I was pretty disappointed in the lack of Greyjoy storyline in this week's episode. Other than that, I'm in agreeance with everyone else. Absolutely spectacular episode.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGrizzly
    Welcome to the forum Spoonska
    Thanks!
    I like to stream

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    igrids rearview was the best.
    You know nothing Jon Snow........he knows how to use his tongue
    The state which separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools – Thucydides

I loved last nights episode. The comedic beats had me almost in tears. Olenna is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters.
    I like to stream

Yup, the conversation between Olenna and Tywin I think was one of the best of the series. And Littlefinger's speech about the ladder of chaos... left me in chills.

And Im really sad that Ros is gone, I liked her.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Here is the exchange between Littlefinger and Varys in case anyone is curious. And, I wonder how Theon would take Ros's death ? Their moment in s1 when she leaves for King's Landing is one of my favorites.

Varys: A thousand blades, taken from the hands of Aegon's fallen enemies, forged in the fiery breaths of Balerion the Dread.

Littlefinger: There aren't a thousand blades, there aren't even two hundred. I've counted.

Varys: Ha, I'm sure you have. Ugly, old thing.

Littlefinger: Yet it has a certain appeal.

Varys: The Lysa Arryn of chairs. Shame you have to settle for your second choice.

Littlefinger: Early days, my friends. It is flattering, really. You feeling such DREAD at the prospect of me getting me what I want.

Varys: Thwarting you has never been my primary ambition, I promise you...although who doesn't like to see their friends fail now and then?

Littlefinger: You're so right. For instance, when I thwarted your plan to give Sansa Stark to the Tyrells. If I'm going to be honest, I did feel an unmistakable sense of enjoyment. But your confidant, the one who fed you information about my plans, the one you swore to protect...you didn't bring her any enjoyment. And she didn't bring me any enjoyment. She was a bad investment on my part. Luckily, I have a friend who wants to try something new...something daring...and he was so grateful to me for providing this "fresh experience"....

Varys: I did what I did for the good of the realm--

Littlefinger: The "realm"? Do you know what the "realm" is? It's the thousand blades of Aegon's enemies: a story we agreed to tell each other over and over till we forget that it's a lie.

Varys: What do we have left once we've abandoned the lie? Chaos, a gaping pit waiting to swallow us all?

Littlefinger: Chaos...isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many that try to climb it fail, never get to try it again. The fall breaks them. And some are given a chance to climb. They refuse, they cling to the realm for the gods, for love...illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.
    Last edited by Spoonska; 05-06-2013 at 14:39.
    I like to stream

Member thankful for this post:

Lemur 

Whoever culls that vermin, that inbred abomination, will have my gratitude. That will be the ultimate catharsis, oh yes!

Welcome indeed Sponska

Littlefinger's speech about the ladder of chaos

Probably my favourite part of the episode!

HopeLess From Humanity a World Member Empire*Of*Media's Avatar

Sattlite is Forbidden in our country (Iran)!!
    and when its forbidden we cant have cards to unlock the scramble TVs !!!!
    Damn to This ISLAMIC Regime !!!!

You cant watch it online?
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Just watched episode number 6. And I do agree. I felt goosebumps during Littlefinger's speech. And during the scene between Thoros, Beric and Melisandre.
    The scene between Olenna and Tywin was awesome. I almost thought Olenna would win. And Cersei and Tyrion sharing sorrows. Cersei isn't all that bad honestly. Just stupid. And finally Jon and Ygritte atop the wall, that last scene does not seem to even be from ASoIaF series. The scenery looks more suited to a CS Lewis book or maybe something from JRR Tolkien. All that light and happiness.
    I don't know if they meant it, but the sunlight and the beautiful landscape far away in stark contrast with the dark cloud above. It's so similar to how their story ends. They never reach the sunlight of their life together.

What I cannot puzzle out is what Melisandre says to Arya. Those might be clues into books that have not come.
    Brown eyes. Blue eyes. Green eyes.
    Last edited by rajpoot; 05-11-2013 at 10:32.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast