Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody enjoying Game of Thrones? (HBO TV series)

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Default Re: Anybody enjoying Game of Thrones? (HBO TV series)

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post
    anyway im just going to put it on the table econ............. .
    Eeek, where is the blushing smilie?

OK, I was not paying attention.

Still, not a big deal to me. If an old codger like me can sleep through it, it can't have been too bad. PJs ordeal sounds excruciating though.

BTW, moving away from the more carnal subject matter: did the show miss out Sansa warning the Queen of Ned's plan to evacuate his children? Or did I sleep through that too?
    Last edited by econ21; 06-07-2011 at 12:47.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    It seems another instance of American TV producing amazingly good stuff - far superior to what British TV or even Hollywood can manage. Quite a reversal of what was true 30 years ago. I wonder what has changed? I guess in part it's down to the rise of HBO (The Wire, True Blood, Rome, Band of Brothers etc.), but it does not seem confined to them (Lost, Battlestar Galactica, 24 etc all had their moments).
    I think that you're being slightly unfair here. Both the US and Britain make some great and poor shows. I do agree that the production values means that epic series like Band of Brothers are only ever going to come from the US. However, recent British shows have been very good, the original Life on Mars and the Office, Ashes to Ashes, Extras, first 2 seasons of Skins, Mighty Boosh, reincarnation of Dr Who, etc.

Both have their specialities though, the US excels in making larger than life shows (Boardwalk Empire for example) Britain has a knack for panel shows (Qi, Nevermind the Buzzcocks, 8 out of 10 Cats, Mock the Week, Would I Lie to You?, etc)
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post
    [M]y roommate's mother happened to stop by [...] right before the [lesbian] scene and after some small talk she noticed that I had the show paused. She asked me about it and I told her how well done it was and how much I liked it and she told me to start it up and she would watch it with me while she waited. Longest. Scene. Evar.

She pretended that she needed to collect his dirty laundry in his room to do a wash and left near the end of it. (He does his own laundry.)
    This gave me a long and hearty LOL at 6:50 in the morning. Well played, good sir. I also thought the hot girl-on-girl action was pretty much there to satisfy Strike and little else. We already knew Littlefinger ran brothels; it was established in both dialogue and action.

Dunno what the advantage is of showing the (dead) king's bro and the Knight of Flowers grooming each other. Maybe to make the countless women who fall in love with them more comic/tragic?

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    BTW, moving away from the more carnal subject matter: did the show miss out Sansa warning the Queen of Ned's plan to evacuate his children? Or did I sleep through that too?
    I think they did, but Ned also spoke to Cersei directly in the books. It was kind of superfluous in the books, in hindsight.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    I think they did, but Ned also spoke to Cersei directly in the books. It was kind of superfluous in the books, in hindsight.
    It's been awhile since I read it, but I don't think so. Sansa blew the specific plans- like how and when Ned was going to get his family out of the city. Cersei knew from Ned himself that she'd have to deal with him, but Sansa gave it all away.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    As I've said, I haven't read AFFC yet, but I think a big part of the reason people think it's slow going is because it's really just half of a book as it was originally envisioned. However, now that ADWD seems to be a sure thing, I might finally sink my teeth into AFFC.
    AFFC is certainly the runt of the litter so far, but it's got a few interesting arcs. Comments below are non-spoilery for people who who have read 1-3 but not 4, but possibly spoilery for people who have not read 1-3, as they discuss people who are still alive in book 4, and thus not killed off earlier :

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Specifically, Arya and Jaime. Arya is moves in a very interesting direction and her path becomes much, much different from all other POV characters. After her chapters in AFFC, she's one of the characters I am the most interested in. Jaime becomes pure awesome in AFFC. His arc in AFFC continues on what was start in books 2 and 3, which was giving a lot more insight and depth to a character that used to be a stock 'badguy', and is actively becoming one of the main 'goodguys'. Jaime's chapters, particularly in the latter half of AFFC, are superb.

It's been awhile since I read it, but I don't think so. Sansa blew the specific plans- like how and when Ned was going to get his family out of the city. Cersei knew from Ned himself that she'd have to deal with him, but Sansa gave it all away.
    I could be wrong; it's only been like a month since I read GoT but it feels like ages lol.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Indeed, that's the impression I got - and probably why I didn't like the Sansa character for most of the series of books.

appalled Crazed Rabbit at his apparent state of under-nutrition.
    Nope, it was actually at his lack of any type of athletic strength.

As for unnecessary scenes, the one with Littlefinger in his brothel is probably the top - though of a short list.

One thing I love is the huge variety of realistic armor. Better than most, nearly all likely, films.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

lannisters armor is excessive in my eyes.

and yeah i didnt like sansa either thought she was such a stupid little girl as compared to arya who is a little hellion.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Who on earth would like Sansa?

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

my books have arrived!!!

We do not sow.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Question: Do you guys think the show will still be called Game of Thrones after this season, or will it take on the name of the 2nd book, Clash of Kings?
    I think they should have called the show A Song of Ice and Fire.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    Question: Do you guys think the show will still be called Game of Thrones after this season, or will it take on the name of the 2nd book, Clash of Kings?
    I think they should have called the show A Song of Ice and Fire.
    They were probably waiting to see how the first show did, if they called it A Song of Fire and Ice it would imply they intended to do them all and if it didn't make money it would have been a failure. Calling it Game of Thrones gave them the option to stop after the first series without it being seen as cancelling it.

Well, considering they renewed the show after episode 1...
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Well, considering they renewed the show after episode 1...
    Yes, after episode 1...

children, you dabble over such petty things as names. cant you see the winter is coming? and grave matters are about to happen...

We do not sow.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    Yes, after episode 1...
    The fact that it was renewed so quickly must mean that they knew they would renew it far beforehand.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Also, just finished the 2nd book. I dare say it was as good as the first...
    Though I sorely missed Ned. Also, Bran bored me in this one, as did Dany. Dany paled in comparison to the first book, glad there were only a few chapters on her. I like how Sansa is growing up, now shes actually likable. Tyrion is as always, a character that I really like. He is just so awesome in this book. Cat is also awesome. It was so touching to see how she dealt with Ned's death and tried to get past it so she can help others in their struggles. Arya, as usual, is amazing. Her story was, IMO, the best in the book. Also, I liked Davos. I wonder what became of him.
    And I hate Theon. With all my heart.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Dany gets far more interesting in SoS, Bran somewhat (but not much)

eh bran is overall one of the more boring characters though his story arc is going somewhere quite interesting imo. Dany does get far more interesting. Arya is fascinating and enjoyable but at the end of the last one she slowed down a little bit as she began her training. tyrion should be going somewhere good now and jaime is now absolutely fascinating. sansa is sort of boring.

Also, just finished the 2nd book. I dare say it was as good as the first...
    Though I sorely missed Ned. Also, Bran bored me in this one, as did Dany. Dany paled in comparison to the first book, glad there were only a few chapters on her. I like how Sansa is growing up, now shes actually likable. Tyrion is as always, a character that I really like. He is just so awesome in this book. Cat is also awesome. It was so touching to see how she dealt with Ned's death and tried to get past it so she can help others in their struggles. Arya, as usual, is amazing. Her story was, IMO, the best in the book. Also, I liked Davos. I wonder what became of him.
    And I hate Theon. With all my heart.
    I thought it was much better myself, a large part of that was probably what you disliked though.

Ive also noticed as Im going through the 3rd book (Im around 200 pages in) that some things from the 3rd book are in the HBO series. For instance, the scene when Jaime tells Cersci that he will go to war with Ned and Robert and the rest of them for her. Its only described in the 3rd book, yet it happens in the HBO series.
    Just something interesting I noticed.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

That was an intense ending tonight. I have a feeling that little SOB is in for an nasty surprise.

You should have all been watching the NBA finals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but anyway is anyone's image of the locations sort of different. I think the eyrie is spot on but I always imagined The capital slightly differently its giving me more of a Cair Paravel image. Winterfell however I imagined radically differently! I saw in my minds eye a more traditional European castle look craggy and cold like the north all sharp lines and realistic looking rather than fantastical. It also seems a little...... big for me. And yes, i realize its the capitol of all the north.

I want to murder Joffrey SO HARD.

till halfway i thought this episode sucked then it turned to one of the most awesome till now XD

We do not sow.

But it was on sale!! Member Scienter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    I want to murder Joffrey SO HARD.
    The actor does such a great job playing Joffrey! He can definitely pull off immature brat with a cruel streak and a touch of The Crazy. I wanted to murder him when I read the books. Seeing him brought to life makes me want to murder him even more.

Re: Loras + Renly, I didn't remember that either. I just finished rereading book 3, and there definitely some references to it.
    Last edited by Scienter; 06-13-2011 at 20:02.
    Hungry? Check out my cooking blog!
    http://thekitchenfrog.blogspot.com

I'm glad I didn't read ahead. What a surprise. I think I'm starting to like Joffrey. He might have the makings of a king after all.

I'm kind of worried that the show will not be the same without Sean Bean. He was by far the best actor on there.
    Last edited by PanzerJaeger; 06-13-2011 at 22:10.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The one thing I was kind of disappointed about was how they copped out about the minor battle from Tyrion's perspective by having him be knocked out before it started. Understandable as to why they did it, but still.

(Spoiler for those who haven't finished Book 2):
    Hopefully they don't do the same for the Battle of King's Landing/Blackwater next year...
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post

I'm kind of worried that the show will not be the same without Sean Bean. He was by far the best actor on there.
    Agreed, in a way. I will miss Sean Bean, but even without Ned the 2nd, and so far the 3rd, books have been fantastic, so I dont think it will be bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    The one thing I was kind of disappointed about was how they copped out about the minor battle from Tyrion's perspective by having him be knocked out before it started. Understandable as to why they did it, but still.

(Spoiler for those who haven't finished Book 2):
    Hopefully they don't do the same for the Battle of King's Landing/Blackwater next year...
    I was also disappointed by this, but due to obvious time constraints they had to cut it. At least they did it in a really hilarious way. When the hammer hit him I cracked up.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast