Thread: Easy way to get Great Guard Veteran?

Default Easy way to get Great Guard Veteran?

I am at Level 7, and I am trying to get new vet units. But for now I only have the Sword-Spear Ashigaru, or Yari Samurai, and few Naginata Monks. (It brokes my heart that Naginata Monks are not so strong like the old Shogun TW...)

Anyway, in a normal war, usually the Ashigaru gets the vet points. I think it prevents the other units. Because of that, sometimes I only put No-Dachi and Great Guard to army, I dont care losing, its for just to get the vet unit.

But no developmentso far. Any suggestions? Hw did you guys get your vet Guards, No-Dachi etc.?
    Last edited by Yesugey; 05-23-2011 at 08:44.

Default Re: Easy way to get Great Guard Veteran?

Just bring your best units, and try to win the battle. If you bring two Great Guard and let them fight any enemy cavalry they will get enough kills to level up no doubt, provided a different unit doesn't get 200-300 kills :P

- When I got the Great Guard I it was the only non elite unit in my army; It was cavarly fight and after that I got free whack at opponent samurai backside.
    - When I got the Great Guard II I had two of them and each backed by 2 yari cavarly; It was 4vs4 battle and in those theres allways something to do for cav.

Looking the stats after the match... 1000xp is pretty safe contestant for veteran spot. Getting more kills than the unit has men is also safe bet. With great guards its safe to go 3x as many kills.
    But if you have non elite ashigaru in the army and it scores the 1000xp... You get offered the ashigaru first.

- Whit the great guards; look for opportunity to take out opponent archers. (When they arent guarded by spears) That will bring lots of kills.

- I dont know about the No-Datchis... They just keep dying in my hands so I dont use them anymore. (In STW they did the same but they took lots more with them.)

You can get any vet you want by farming for it in custom battles with a friend. In MM battles it's best to block out other vanilla units from vetting on you after a match by only bringing the vanilla unit you're trying to get as a vet and the rest of your army bring vets. Lower tier units always vet before higher tier units and of course higher tier units need more xp to vet up. It's a silly system I know.

Nag monks are strong in their own way still, just not so much in numbers. They are useful for their warcry and high morale, so sometimes one or two in your army can be nice to have.

Thanks all you guys for the answers.

Zarobien, AMP thanks for golden information. I couldnt agree more that cavalry always finds some bowmen to kill on 4vs4 fights. And I never played custom battles but if its against computer, they sound like "free vet unit" to me already.

I will use these on weekend, and post the good news hopefully

AMP and Zarobien, I have my first Vet Greeat Guard and few No-Dachi, thanks to your tips. I just built an army with all vets except the Guards. Now its time to have more archers :)