Thread: Agora

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Agora

Agora

The Agora at Alexandria is a feast for the senses. There are men here of every country in the world, their stalls, carts and trays overflowing with the bounty of the earth.

Exotic dyes, spices and reams of cloth of every hue and texture dazzle the eye. Food sizzles on grills and bubbles in pots, and an array of odours assail the senses. Music comes flooding from every direction, strange and haunting melodies that speak of foreign lands long distant.

Here, where the people of the city meet to trade goods and slaves, gossip and simply pass the time of day, the nobles of the Ptolemaioi dynasty also come to make speeches, proclamations and to gain public support for their policies.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    This is IC thread for KotN. Please do not post OOC! This is the place where you can find "Slave trader", make speeches and declarations etc.

Introduction is writen by phonicsmonkey
    Last edited by Ibn-Khaldun; 06-11-2011 at 16:06.

Default Re: Agora

Bothos enters the Agora on a plain brown horse wearing only mildly exquisite robes. Beside him ride the captain of his guard and a small, withered Athenian, head sagging. Trawling through the marketplace, seemingly aimlessly Bothos suddenly finds the man he is looking for. A big man lavishly jewelled in pearls and gold from all corners of the known world, who is standing next to an filthy enclosure filled with 'the meat', the worthless, rotting slaves, good for nothing but dieing.

Greetings my good trader. I wish to trade in this excellent quality clerk who is a wonder with the abacus. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that I will be undertaking a long trip in the not so distant future and have to wave goodbye to his services. I hear 100 mnai is good price these days?
    PBeM's

Kings of the Nile: Kleronomos Basileios Euergetes Ptolemaios

Blog Entries

The man looks at the Athenian and responds..

Oh well.. I heard that there is a mine in south that needs workers.. he smiles.. so I take him. Though, 100 mnai sounds a bit much..

To be honest, I was rather hoping you'd take him. A Greek in a Greek world is not worth much these days.
    PBeM's

Blog Entries

Man replies..

Of course I am taking him..

Blog Entries

Two well dressed men, one of them old and another one young, were walking through the Agora. It seemed as if they had all the time in the world. Discussing over the recently passed legislations they still had time to look around to check some exotic spices or admire the handiwork of foreign tailors..

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

A man wearing worn cloak and stained studded cloth armour hurries into the centre of the Agora, stands up on a box and pulls out a parchment.

"Hear ye! Hear ye! News comes from our noble Basileus and Pharaoh's campaign in Syria Koile! A great battle has been fought against the Damaskos garrison as well as a second army led by the Seleukid general Sositratos Termessou Pisidikes. Thanks to cunning positioning and a great tactical sense, few of the king's men died while over a thousand Seleukids were either captured or killed! As a result of the battle, Sositratos Pisidikes died while fighting against Philadelphos and his bodyguards, and Damaskos was liberated.

All hail the Setrepenrameriamen!: Chosen One of Amun, Beloved of Ra, King of Upper and Lower Egypt - wielder of the Nekhakha and Heqat of the Two Kingdoms, of Osiris."

He puts the parchment away and makes his way for the bar, where he orders one giant mug of mead.
    Last edited by The Celtic Viking; 06-21-2011 at 12:32.

Blog Entries

Philippos, Zoarchos' representator in the Council, was just passing by when he heard the news. He smiled briefly and heads to the tavern as well. There he asks the tavern keeper to send a bottle of his finest wine to the Basileus' messenger. Suddenly he remembers that he have to be somewhere else and turns to leave..

The Basileus' messenger turns towards Philippos.

"Oi! What's the hurry, friend? Don't you know it's impolite to buy a man his liquor and then leave before he can give a proper thanks?" The man laughs heartily. "Come on back here and join me in finishing it!"

OOC: Obviously you should pretend this happened before he actually got to the Council.
    Last edited by The Celtic Viking; 06-21-2011 at 19:02.

Blog Entries

Philippos turns around..

It would be a honor to drink with you! What other news to you bring from Syria?

He takes a seat next to the messenger..

The messenger, who introduces himself as Hermokrates, pours up the wine in two mugs as he speaks.

Ah, there are things to say about that place which could occupy a bard's whole career! Have you ever been there? This was my first time, and I tell you I've fallen in love with it already. I might retire there when my military service is over, get some land there and spend the rest of my days in bliss.

He takes a chug from his mug before continuing.

Hah! But there are still many days and nights before I can do that. Soon I must return to the Basileus, who was very busy when I left with securing the home of the governor that he's taken over during his stay. He's shirking no precautions against assassinations, I can tell you that much! He's even got this Hercules of a man serving as his swordbearer now. But you know how it is: new people in a newly conquered province. You just never know who might still be loyal to the former power, and who you can trust.

Blog Entries

I was in Sidon recently but I have never been in Damaskos. My master, Zoarchos Helios, is in Sidon and what I've heard he is planning to help the Basileus by offering his services as governor of Damaskos. So, there is a chance that we might meet each other in Syria if that should happen.

He takes a sip from his mug..

Hopefully, in the same situation like today.. celebrating our victory over the enemy!

In the bustling Agora a young servant is seen to post a letter into the building dealing with nobles possessions and wills. The letter reads:

This is the last will and testament of Strategos Bothos Lapethou Kypriakou.

I give my lands in the Delta Neilou with the estate and supervisors and my personal finances to Strategos Zoarchos Helios.

My private units are to be disbanded and the men to be sent back to their homes.
    PBeM's

Blog Entries

Have you heard the news.. Bothos Lapethou Kypriakou was killed! says one man to another.

Yes, I heard. It was a bad omen to post that Will here! His death was somewhat nice though. Not many can say that they slept with the wife of Antiochos' son! It's most unfortunate that his little adventure was discovered! However, I think Zoarchos Helios have nothing against his death. He did got Bothos' money and estate.. the two men laugh..

Philippos, who heard them speaking, interrupts them..

Zoarchos Helios, who happens to be my master, got nothing out of Bothos' death! He decided to gift the estate and money to Euergetes Ptolemaios, heir of our Basileus!

With that said Philippos turns and walks away cursing those people who were spreading rumors in Agora..

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Alexandros strolls trough the Agora in Alexandreia on the way back from his weekly visit to the tomb of Megas Alexandros. He looks at the men for hire and the slave, and approaches the slave trader. "What do you have for me?"

Can I get a list of all the available ancillaries in this mod? I'm particularly interested in those who grant movement bonus, command stars and morale. I may sell the family retainer If I run out of slots as well.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Blog Entries

Slave trader looks at Alexandros briefly and says:

At the moment we have nothing to offer you...

OOC:
    1) I do not create ancillaries.
    2) Ancillaries available for purchase from the "Slave trader" are those that the players have asked me to remove from their avatars.
    3) You can always ask from some player directly if he wants to sell his ancillary.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Whispers reach the Agora of a new King being crowned in the west, the town of Ammonion in the oasis at Siwa has supposedly crowned it's conqueror "King of the desert sands".