Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Gameroom Anniversary Celebration

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default The Gameroom Anniversary Celebration

In the summer of 2006, Mafia began on the .Org. It had humble beginnings, starting in the Frontroom and garnering 26 players and 354 posts. However, it was popular enough to have staying power. Several games later, 3 months after Mafia began, the players and hosts of the .Org were granted their own subforum. In keeping the trend with its Tavern mates, the Frontroom and Backroom, it would be forever known as the Gameroom.

Five years later, the Gameroom is still going strong, having lasted well beyond anyone's wildest dreams. In order to commemorate this anniversary, we cordially invite you to take part in a summer-long party that will take us through the Gameroom's past, present, and future. On the agenda for the summer are the following games:

• In early June, Mafia X, hosted by GeneralHankerchief, the basic classic that started it all, with a new twist (as described below)
    • In late June/early July, The Midgard Saga III, hosted by Sigurd, the latest installment in the exciting and groundbreaking series that takes us through Norse mythology
    • In late July/early August, Netherworld 3, hosted by issaikhaan, the thrilling conclusion to the trilogy that has taken us through various aspects of different afterlifes
    • In August/September, a mystery game that will be larger and more epic than the three preceding it.

In addition to these games, we will be introducing a new feature that will become a Gameroom mainstay from now on: anonymous player accounts. The username and password information will be distributed to all players who have signed up for a game upon its start, and will be returned to the Tech Admins upon the game's end. The goal of these accounts will be to preserve anonymity and make people judge your merit by the content of your posts, not by who you are. This feature will be introduced with Mafia X. Take a look at this sample account: [MAFIA] Vincent. You may be seeing him and his buddies around soon.

Finally, there will be other miscellaneous features and other mini-festivities that will be popping up over the summer. We hope you join us as we celebrate five great years of forum gaming.

~ The Gameroom staff
    Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 06-08-2011 at 21:48.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Default Re: The Gameroom Anniversary Celebration

Sounds cool. How many days till Mafia X starts?

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

The anonymous accounts sound interesting. Can't wait for these games to start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    • In August/September, a mystery game that will be larger and more epic than the three preceding it.
    Dare we hope for Capo IV, now that Seamus seems to be back...

I think guessing games over who's who may take over from actual voting with the guest accounts. In fact I'll start now, how many posts will Pizza's have after the 4 games? I say 1005.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The anonymous accounts will be returned to the Tech Admins after every game and redistributed with every new game that uses them, so you can't guess it that way.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd like to take a moment here to spam direct any interested parties in the anonymous account system to The Copa Clash, a mini game to give players a taste of the system before Mafia X.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Knight of Flowers Member Diamondeye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great no more "DE is always scum". Which was obviously lies to begin with.

Also; Drooling at the programme! It's everything I ever wanted!
    If God is great, and if God is good, why can't he change the hearts of men?"
    -Tom Waits, "The Road to Peace"

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I saw when these new "mafia" spammers players joined. I thought that the Org staff had been overthrown by Mafia!

Will the post count of these accounts will be reset back to 0 after each game?

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ibn-Khaldun View Post
    Will the post count of these accounts will be reset back to 0 after each game?
    No, but since all accounts are randomly distributed each game, the posting history of each account is irrelevant to any game you're playing since previous posts will almost certainly have been made by a different person than the one who has the account in the current game. Passwords will also be reset on every account after every game, so there will be no way for previous users of the accounts to access them after the game is over.

Blog Entries

I presume that all PM's from previous game will also be deleted?

Interesting, exciting stuff! Thanks for the info. Regarding the anonymous accounts, are they going to be optional or will they be mandatory? If the later, will game hosts have the option of whether to use them for their games? I hope all games won't be using anonymous accounts only.

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

They'll only be mandatory in games where the host wants every account to be anonymous. It's not going to be imposed on every game, and certainly not if the game host doesn't want such a rule imposed.

They are for flavor and to try something new. I do doubt that there will be a mixing of anonymous accounts and normal accounts in a game, so if there are anonymous accounts in a game, probably everyone will have to use them.

Also....

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

ridiculously suspicious Member TheLastDays's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post

Also....

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Wooohoooo! :D

Looking forward to games with the anonymous accounts. I do hope that the players behind them will be revealed at the end of big games though. It's nice knowing who you played with and also for statistics... I need to work on my losing streak ^^
    I hear the voice of the watchmen!

New Mafia Game: Hunt for The Fox

Quote Originally Posted by Ibn-Khaldun View Post
    I presume that all PM's from previous game will also be deleted?
    Yes, PMs will be purged.

Blog Entries

I see that those anonymous accounts create less posts. Personally, I think it's good because I usually get overwhelmed by the information after turn 2 or so.

Why do these awesome games have to take place during the summer? My vacation schedule is such that I won't be able to join any of these games, except for the mystery game.

:(

Blog Entries

Thanks to Sigurd for an awesome logo:

And in sig form:

The Anonymous account system has been improved to make it easier to use. All in-use Anonymous accounts are now automatically linked to the profiles of the players to whom they are assigned. Changing between accounts now takes only a single click and does not require logging out, logging in, or entering passwords. To switch accounts, simply use the Quick Account Switch dropdown menu on the navbar at the top of the forum:

Clicking the name of the Anonymous account will instantly switch you over to using that account. While in the Anonymous account, the Quick Account Switch dropdown menu will change to display your real account, and another single click will return you to it.

ridiculously suspicious Member TheLastDays's Avatar

Wow! That's incredible and it will make things a lot easier, thanks!
    I hear the voice of the watchmen!

New Mafia Game: Hunt for The Fox

The Quick Account Switch feature is being temporarily disabled while we diagnose another problem.

Feature restored.
    Last edited by TinCow; 06-22-2011 at 19:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondeye View Post
    Great no more "DE is always scum". Which was obviously lies to begin with.

Also; Drooling at the programme! It's everything I ever wanted!
    Get with the program old man.

#Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Probably would have been better to put that up when there was a game open that people could join. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tratorix View Post
    Probably would have been better to put that up when there was a game open that people could join. Just sayin'.
    I know. But the anniversary isn't over and there are still a lot of games on the calendar coming up.

Better something than nothing.

Also, I wasn't aware of the front page until Andres pointed it out to me. (My home page for the .org is the gameroom... I never visit the front page)
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Blog Entries

The fourth and final Anniversary game will be revealed in one week's time!

Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 08-14-2011 at 07:33.

Looking forward to the final game! GH, can you tell us what the maximum number of players will be?

Looking forward to not dying day one, night one or night zero again hopefully! GH, can you tell us what the maximum number of players will be?
    That sucks. :(

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

I'm joining this one, if only for old time's sake.
    (not that I ever had any impact but still ...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Capo IV?

I spy the evil peoples Senior Member Romanic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Capo IV?
    Must be. Why else would they keep it a secret?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast