Thread: Forum Bug Reporting

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Default Forum Bug Reporting

Apologies, I asked for people to report forum bugs in the downtime thread, forgetting that members cannot post in there. Please report issues that have arisen as a result of the most recent upgrade in this thread. There were several significant changes in how vbulletin handles styles, so there may be some issues with our custom styles.
    Last edited by TinCow; 12-04-2011 at 17:33.

Default Re: Forum Bug Reporting

Found a way to circumvent the issue of the forum insisting on sending me the default skin regardless of what I select on my Settings page in Opera 12. It involves altering the site specific browser settings of forums.totalwar.org: I needed to change how the browser identifies itself, I went with “Mask as Firefox”.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    Found a way to circumvent the issue of the forum insisting on sending me the default skin regardless of what I select on my Settings page in Opera 12. It involves altering the site specific browser settings of forums.totalwar.org: I needed to change how the browser identifies itself, I went with “Mask as Firefox”.
    Sounds like an Opera-specific issue then, but I'll do some research and see if I can find what is causing it. Others are bound to be experiencing it as well.

I use Opera 11.52 and haven't found any issues with selecting skins in it so far.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    Sounds like an Opera-specific issue then, but I'll do some research and see if I can find what is causing it. Others are bound to be experiencing it as well.
    It isn't Opera's JavaScript environment which suddenly behaves any different if you toggle the switch. (It doesn't suddenly gain full Firefox compatibility or drop Opera features.) The only software which does behave differently now is the VBulletin code -- implying it relies on browser sniffing to select different code paths...

Therefore that looks to me more like hacks in the forum code failing to work ...
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 12-04-2011 at 22:07.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Tellos, can you clarify whether you were experiencing this problem on a mobile or desktop device? We've found similar issues with style selection which seem to be related to the upgrade, but so far every other example we've experienced or found comments about is related to a mobile device, not a desktop device.

Opera 12 on a laptop.
    - Tellos Athenaios

Well, isn't 12 only in alpha status?
    Could that have anything to do with it?

I'm using 11.60 now and the STW2 skin, no forcing of anything, my browser identifies as Opera as well.

If it's something about identifying as Opera in general then it should force the dafault skin on me as well, changing to TheGuild works just fine for me, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Well, isn't 12 only in alpha status?
    Could that have anything to do with it?
    Uh, how? If I trick the forum into believing I am some Mozilla Firefox user it works. If I declare myself an Opera 12 user, it balks. This suggest something to do with changes in browser sniffing/version checking, as did work before the forum upgrade!

By the way, this is the string the browser would ordinarily supply to identify itself:
    Code:
    Opera/9.80 (X11; Linux x86_64; U; Edition Next; en) Presto/2.10.238 Version/12.00
    EDIT: Just found out that I can trick the forum by identifying as Mozilla Firefox (which still leaves a reference to Opera in the string) as well.
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 12-08-2011 at 00:26.
    - Tellos Athenaios

If it were buggy for every Opera user, then I should have skins forced on me as well though.

Or are you saying I'm special?

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    If it were buggy for every Opera user, then I should have skins forced on me as well though.
    No I am thinking that between Opera 11 and Opera 12 the way the browser identifies itself by default changed. However, the point is that any well-behaved website should not break on such a change.

A forum analogy: it is like Beskar changing his name to Tiaexz (have I spelt that correctly?): a well-behaved forum would not suddenly stop displaying PMs sent to the former “Beskar” when “Tiaexz” looks at his inbox.

Or are you saying I'm special?
    I should've seen that one coming, shouldn't I? How about... in your very own special way, you are?
    - Tellos Athenaios

Thanks to therother for fixing it for me. Now the forum works again properly with Opera 12; or at least as far as I know/have tested, it does!
    - Tellos Athenaios

No I am thinking that between Opera 11 and Opera 12 the way the browser identifies itself by default changed. However, the point is that any well-behaved website should not break on such a change.
    Yes, that's what I meant, but since I don't know the details of how it's done, I thought the identification might be buggy in some way.

A forum analogy: it is like Beskar changing his name to Tiaexz (have I spelt that correctly?): a well-behaved forum would not suddenly stop displaying PMs sent to the former “Beskar” when “Tiaexz” looks at his inbox.
    Huh? No, I mean yes, there's a difference though in that your Opera doesn't have an account on the server and its identification is not handled in a database, then again I have no idea how that identification stuff works, I just suppose it's useful for server-side browser optimizations. In that case you may be right that these optimizations should never switch to "forum is broken and things don't work".

I should've seen that one coming, shouldn't I? How about... in your very own special way, you are?
    If you had simply ignored it, I would feel better now...

However, the point is that any well-behaved website should not break on such a change.

To be clear, this bug had nothing to do with the Org itself. It was caused by changes in vBulletin code, not any mods or hacks we installed.

To be clear, this bug had nothing to do with the Org itself. It was caused by changes in vBulletin code, not any mods or hacks we installed.
    Good to know. OTOH it doesn't do much for my opinion of the VBulletin code itself. A look at how it's JavaScript code prepares passwords before hashing them should suffice. Though since it would be unfair to let you risk you sanity without warning, I've got to say: that code is not for the faint of heart.
    - Tellos Athenaios

Apologies, I asked for people to report forum bugs in the downtime thread, forgetting that members cannot post in there. Please report issues that have arisen as a result of the most recent upgrade in this thread. There were several significant changes in how vbulletin handles styles, so there may be some issues with our custom styles.
    If I report a bug and it gets fixed can I have the bug report thread named after me?
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

When I select the embed video button in the Quick Reply editor, it pops up the window and I add the YouTube link. If I then hit "Go Advanced", it goes to a white screen, then the usual advanced editor, but with the following text at the top of the page:
    Code:
    Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/includes/class_bbcode.php(432) : eval()'d code on line 1
    It doesn't affect the post at all, but it's a weird artifact.

Firefox v3.6.24
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    When I select the embed video button in the Quick Reply editor, it pops up the window and I add the YouTube link. If I then hit "Go Advanced", it goes to a white screen, then the usual advanced editor, but with the following text at the top of the page:
    Code:
    Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/includes/class_bbcode.php(432) : eval()'d code on line 1
    It doesn't affect the post at all, but it's a weird artifact.

Firefox v3.6.24
    Thanks for finding this. The problem was caused by a conflict with a bbcode module we were running. I have disabled the module and the error no longer occurs. I'm not sure whether this will impact some of our custom bbcode though, so please let me know if you see any of it behaving abnormally.

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When I edit my post and then choose "Go Advanced" option my post becomes total mess. What ever formatting I had before will be nullified.

Quote Originally Posted by The King View Post
    When I edit my post and then choose "Go Advanced" option my post becomes total mess. What ever formatting I had before will be nullified.
    I can confirm this bug. It is a vBulletin issue which has been patched in the next release. I have no idea when that will come out though, so I will try and find a way to fix it manually before then.

Quote Originally Posted by The King View Post
    This bug has been fixed.

Maybe it's just my setup, but the favicon is now the default vBulletin icon.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

Research Fiend Technical Administrator Tetris Champion, Summer Games Champion, Snakeman Champion, Ms Pacman Champion therother's Avatar

Yeah, there's always something you forget after an upgrade. If it doesn't update itself, click on this link and press refresh.
    Nullius addictus iurare in uerba magistri -- Quintus Horatius Flaccus

History is a pack of lies about events that never happened told by people who weren't there -- George Santayana