Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: [SS 6.4] Clash of Gods! OOC - winners Silver Shield, LooseCannon1 and Mithridate

Strategist and Storyteller Senior Member Myth's Avatar

Default [SS 6.4] Clash of Gods! OOC - winners Silver Shield, LooseCannon1 and Mithridate

IC thread.

Recruitment thread.

Catholics: 75/100
    Muslims: 100/100

His Holiness Pope Paschalis the Peaceful seemed burdened today. An aged man of forty, he had leaned his head back and stared at the richly decorated ceiling of the basilica, silently contemplating what he had just heard.

"Your Holiness, it seems the Crusader States have allied themselves with the Muslims and have rejected all of our summons. Pilgrims are now required to pay a toll to see the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem. The Fatamids, Moors and Kwazremians are all reported to be gathering for Jihad. We fear the worst - that they may attempt a second invasion of Europe, and this time there is no Charlemagne to pit a united Europe against them!"

The Pope exhaled deeply and slowly stood up. His brown eyes were not as calm as they were but mere months ago.

"Summon the faithful. We must call the banners of Catholic Europe once more. This time there shall be no stopping until every city of note is converted in the one true faith of our Lord and savior Jesus Christ!"

"Your grace, you mean..."

"I mean what I just said. Summon them. All of them. And send them to wage war in the name of God! And bring me the leaders of these former Crusader States here, in chains, so that they may be judged."

The messenger stormed off, just as the bells of the basilica started ringing - loudly, like the thunderous wrath of God. The wrath that the Muslims would feel soon upon their petty souls.

The Caliph finished his morning prayer and stood up slowly. He was very healthy for his age, most men at fifty two were without teeth and taken with the gout or other such maladies. Al-Musta'li ran his hand trough his hair and breathed in the sweet smell of blooming orange trees that came outside his terrace, from the luscious garden below.

"So, the Catholics have once again began to mass their armies and turn their hungry gaze towards the lands of the faithful?"

"Yes indeed great Caliph. Our brothers in faith have reported gatherings in Rome and talk of massive preparations for war amongst the Western infidels."

"Why could not they be more civilized. Perhaps they lack exposure to our culture, unlike their brethren from the Crusader States."

"It is strange, exalted Caliph, that Crusaders should aid us against Crusaders."

"If it is Allah's will, then so be it. We shall not judge their past, but their actions. Summon the Great Imam. We must call Jihad!"

The emissary swallowed and dared raise his gaze from the ground.

"We ride to war, great Caliph?"

"We ride to Holy War, and to once and for all put a stop to the Western aggression. Saddle my horse, and gather the Mamluks." His voice was hard, and his face - stern. As if it had been cut from the hard stone that lurked beneath the desert. Outside, the sun shone brightly, like an angry yellow dot, or the eye of Allah looking down disapprovingly on the infidels.

CLASH OF GODS

And so it begins...

Catholics:
    Myself as the Kingdom of England
    Thanatos Eclipse as the Kingdom of León-Castile
    Nightbringer as the Republic of Venice
    slysnake as the Kingdom of France

vs.

Muslims:
    Silver Shield as the Crusader States
    LooseCannon1 as the Moorish Caliphate and the Khwarezmian Empire
    Mithridate Seljuk Sultanate

Victory conditions:

he first side to accumulate 100 points wins! Points are related to the respective side's target cities:

Catholics: Need to hold Alexandria, Mecca, Antioch, Cordoba, Baghdad, Cairo
    Muslims: Need to hold Rome, Venice, Leon, Paris, Hamburg, London.

Jerusalem is a special target city.
    Both sides need to hold it and have it at 100% of their religion before victory is declared, but it does not grant points!

Points are measured as such:

Capture target city: 10 points.
    Hold target city: 5 points every turn.
    Convert target city to 50% of your faith: 5 points (only if holding the settlement, awarded once)
    Convert target city to 100% of your faith: 15 points (only if holding the settlement, awarded once)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Each player has 48 hours to complete his turn (not counting weekends). After that the Admin may skip his faction or he can be subbed.

Do not attack ships in ports.

Armies boarding ships in ports can't stay there for more than one turn.

Don't leave blockaded ports without beating the blockading ships first.

Don't stack merchants in armies or forts to get more than one to stand on the same resource (Merchant Fort)

No surrounding armies or agents to destroy them. (Surround&Destroy)

Don't attack units who were left next to a settlement in order to capture it on the same turn in order to cheat the garrison script. In fact don't cheat the garrison script period. (this only applies vs AI factions)

Don't use repeated offers for bribe to increase your faction leader's dread.

Enable "Unlimited men on battlefield" in order to not abuse when leading battles vs the AI (PM me for instructions, though SS has this on by default)

Armies that are defeated in battle by a player that comes after them in the turn list may not move the following turn. This is to make it fair for people who are defeated by players that come before them in the turn list, and thus lose all their movement points

Armies that are defeated in battle may not be attacked on the following turn, as they are banned from moving, either by the game mechanics or by the rule above. They must be allowed to move first, or must be reinforced. If the defeated army retreats to a settlement or fort, this rule does not apply.

Ballistas can't open anything, catapults can open wooden walls, trebuchets or better can open anything.

Spies cannot open settlements of any kind.

Assassins are allowed to target anyone but the players are limited to one assassination attempt per turn. It must be the first action they do, before they spend money or do anything else. Upon a successful assassination the game admin will load that player's save and attempt the assassination. If the results are different there will be penalties for cheating.

Crusades and Jihads can be joined and called but only at the respective religion's target cities! Cahtolics may bribe the pope so they can call the Crusade where they need to. Muslims can grab an imam and call it themselves.

ONLY religious buildings can be destroyed upon the conquest of a settlement and ONLY if they are of a religion different than your own.

No trading of provinces to receive free troops. If you trade provinces, make sure they have no garrison prior to the exchange.

No deliberate deals that would put you in debt above -10,000 florins.

How to set up your game:

Go to your SS 6.3 folder (it's named 6.3 even if you have patched it to 6.4), and run "SS_setup.exe"

When the menu pops, select "Early Era Campaign":

then, when the setup menu pops up, select "Gracul AI" and "Disable Real Recruitment". Leave all the other checkboxes unchecked.

After that, simply choose OK and Start and Exit.

When the game starts, we pass down the save to the next player in line via PM and in a message here in this thread. Saves are archived (rar, zip etc.) and uploaded in the .org uploader or another similar file hosting service. The game will be set up at VH/VH, follow AI off, Manage All Settlements on, Long campaign, No advice, and there will be a battle time limit.

Helpful tips for those who are new to Hotseat games:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Hotseat is very different from playing SP. If you thought the AI was aggressive, wait until you have to fight some of the veterans on this forum! Some advice I can give you out of my own experience:

- Never leave a settlement undefended. Even if you think the enemy isn't close, he can still grab it if he detaches a single unit of cavalry. And that single unit of cavalry will let him sack your town and haul 3000-4000 gold!
    - Develop your roads and ports!
    - March your armies side-to-side whenever in enemy territory.
    - ALWAYS build forts when in enemy territory because this game allows for fought battles. NEVER allow the enemy the first strike, if you can. Again, always sleep in forts!
    - Build forts at choke points and to protect besieging armies (look at how SilverShield does it)
    - It is usually a good idea to sack settlements and forgo population boosting buildings. Investing thousands of florins into farms is great for SP where you expect to get to Huge City levels at some point. But Hotseat games get at most 50-60 turns, so the investment will hardly be worth it.
    - In lead battles CAVALRY RULES THE FIELD. Heavy cav, Cav archers, even light cav - they all RULE when used right and can wipe out entire armies with inferior numbers. Never ever underestimate the General's Bodyguard. In an Early campaign they will be the unit that kills 200-500 enemies per battle!
    - Don't forget that sailing is a vital means of transportation in this game, and that you can blockade land crossings with ships.
    - Bring tons of priests when conquering enemy settlements and convert them ASAP so that the unrest is lower and you don't need to spend as much time keeping them from rebelling.
    - Enemy castles are the things that make the scary armies. Take their castles and they can't retrain or raise new armies!
    Last edited by Myth; 08-30-2012 at 22:17.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Default Re: [SS 6.4] Clash of Gods! OOC

Nice work Myth, love the rules, love the banner, and love the effort you have gone through :) Are we also going to have a Council Thread? Ex-Players of the Dogs Of War 2 hotseat will remember this very well :D

Sure, there will be an IC thread. But I'm waiting for the hotseat issue to be resolved (I have no idea why I can't get it to run). I've also added some tips for the newer players to the bottom of the first post.

good thing we going here. u ve been putting a lot of work in that. lets have a good one
    Most Dope Fresh Artist Out There

DraMatiQue

www.datpiff.com/DraMatiQue-Kill-The-Game-Mixtape.429536.html

Free Mixtape Download

Cool Re: [SS 6.4] Clash of Gods! OOC

Could we have a link to the files we need for the mod to be set properly? I'd have to run into problems once the game is started!
    The supreme, the merciless, the destroyer of opposition, the exalted King, the shepherd, the protector of the quarters of the world, the King the word of whose mouth destroys mountains and seas, who by his lordly attack has forced mighty and merciless Kings from the rising of the sun to the setting of the same to acknowledge one supremacy.
    -Ashurnasirpal II

Org Games
    Kings of the Nile - Chancellor Meleagros Ptolemaios, Nomarch of Upper Egypt
    Clash of Gods - Kingdom of Castilla y Leon
    Wrath of the Khan II - Kingdom of France

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    Sure, there will be an IC thread.
    You should have a story thread too - the recent hotseats are sorely lacking in good stories. See Commanders of the Faithful or Dogs of War for a good example. Don't be intimidated, you don't have to be Charles Dickens to entertain your fellow players and the lurking crowds with a decent yarn. Some of you were drawn here by the stories, so consider giving back...

Also Myth I don't think you specify in the rules a time limit for completing the turn? We customarily say 48 hours as it gives the GM as excuse to move things along if they are lagging...
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

Master of the Universe Member LooseCannon1's Avatar

The city of Tyre-do you mean Tortosa?

And its easier to create a shortcut to lead to SS_setup.exe". I'll now have 5 different SS hotseats going with different setups in each.

Gimme Turks instead of Egypt please.

Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash View Post
    Egypt is OP though! They managed to grow massive in DoW whilst the Turks got crushed by Kiev XD

Quote Originally Posted by slysnake View Post
    Egypt is OP though! They managed to grow massive in DoW whilst the Turks got crushed by Kiev XD
    Excuse me, by Kiev and Hungary. Let's not forget Hungary please!

And in that game Egypt's early explosion of growth was (sadly) largely due to cheating by Merlox who was kicked from the game and the Throne Room for it...

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

Well, I honestly had a lot more trouble against the turks. They have some tough units and I even had hungary going all out on them at the same time. I basically walked through egypt.
    Their lands are so spread out that if they are attacked from the north they can't defend everywhere. Especially if combined with an attack in egypt from te west. I have seen them crumble in multiple games from that exact scenario.
    Turkey's lands are nicely bunched together with some nice mountain passes and other choke points they can really defend well, especially since Kiev and Hungary arn't being used in this game.
    Moderator of The Throne Room
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Visorslash View Post
    If Visor is turk, I must do a rethink of my strategies. Hmmm.
    Last edited by ArcturUs; 06-20-2011 at 10:18.

However, the Fatamids hold Alexandria and Cairo while the Turks own none of the enemy key settlements. You'll still have to keep the Catholics away from these cities.

BTW changed Tyre to Mecca as a requirement for the Catholics.

There are no files that are needed to play this game, just a clean SS 6.4 installation (PM me if you don't know how to set that up). A setup shortcut though, I'll have to research how the commands are added to that.

Turn duration I left open to discussion, though 48 hours on the weekdays sounds fine to me.

Im ok with 48 hrs

Courtesy of our good Phonicsmonkey we have the save for this game! I have the admin password but we can rely on him as well if things get dicey or i go MIA as he knows it as well. Sicily is first in the turn order, but I'd rater be sure we are all on the same page before we start. Visorslash, are the Turks your final choice of faction?

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

given these recent switches would it be possible for me to change to venice. If this would be difficult I'm fine with sicily, but venice is now my first choice. :)

ahh indecision, you haunt me at every choice.
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

How are player vs. player battles fought here? I ask because at twc its always auto-resolve with battles against AI playable. And before and after screen shots are required to be posted with editing allowed. But nothing has been said about this in the rules and I don't see any battle SSs in some other threads I've looked at.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    However, the Fatamids hold Alexandria and Cairo while the Turks own none of the enemy key settlements. You'll still have to keep the Catholics away from these cities.

BTW changed Tyre to Mecca as a requirement for the Catholics.

There are no files that are needed to play this game, just a clean SS 6.4 installation (PM me if you don't know how to set that up). A setup shortcut though, I'll have to research how the commands are added to that.

Turn duration I left open to discussion, though 48 hours on the weekdays sounds fine to me.
    Surely if there is no additional modding you would just need to >right click on setup.exe >create shortcut >(move to desktop) ?

Quote Originally Posted by LooseCannon1 View Post
    How are player vs. player battles fought here? I ask because at twc its always auto-resolve with battles against AI playable. And before and after screen shots are required to be posted with editing allowed. But nothing has been said about this in the rules and I don't see any battle SSs in some other threads I've looked at.
    Having taken a look at his tips I believe we are allowing battles to be fought against anyone.

As to screens, we generally just go without them here but if you want to post them nobody will object. If something comes into question the GM takes a look and rules accordingly.

This game might be different though.

Nightbringer can have Venice. Yes this game allows for fought battles against anyone (this was decided in the previous thread, I'll update the rules). The reason being that HAs rule in lead battles. Autoresolve and RR off will favor the Catholics way, waaay too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
    Having taken a look at his tips I believe we are allowing battles to be fought against anyone.
    That's the way it read to me. But when I attack another player how well will the AI fight the battle for the other player? In its usual (not very good) manner? And of course I expect it to fail for me, too.
    As to screens, we generally just go without them here but if you want to post them nobody will object. If something comes into question the GM takes a look and rules accordingly.

This game might be different though.
    I'll go with whatever the GM rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
    That's the way it read to me. But when I attack another player how well will the AI fight the battle for the other player? In its usual (not very good) manner? And of course I expect it to fail for me, too.
    I haven't thought about that hmm

But when I attack another player how well will the AI fight the battle for the other player? In its usual (not very good) manner? And of course I expect it to fail for me, too.
    Of course, this is why a hotseat with fought battles is very different strategically from one with AR'd battles. Myth has kindly provided some tips on how to play this style in his first post, but in short you have to ensure that you don't give your enemies the chance of a battle by scouting terrain, using forts to block chokepoints and protect your armies and by planning your moves carefully.

so, when will the saves be ready, and whose turn is first?

I created the first save already for Myth but he'll need to amend it to make Venice playable and switch Sicily to the AI

(Myth that's just two console commands after logging in to the admin console with logon [password]

first you type control venice, hit enter and then control sicily, hit enter. Hit the start turn button on the sicily save screen and the game will roll on to the first player.)

First turn for Turks is up! We also have an IC thread.

What did Visorslash say, is he away already? Does he need to be subbed?
    Last edited by Myth; 06-22-2011 at 21:13.

I go away tomorrow.

France up.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/1fr2b8

Last edited by slysnake; 06-24-2011 at 07:34.

Leon-Castile is up
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast