Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: History degrees

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default History degrees

Are useless unless you plan on teaching or getting lucky and working in a museum.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Default Re: History degrees

Well I've just got one (a joint one with politics that is), and I've been looking up the employment prospects.

Levels of employment for history graduates 6 months after graduation seem to be pretty similar to those in other fields.

Contrary to popular opinion most do not work in museums or go into teaching, most start out in administrative/clerical stuff and work their way up from there.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Write.

Blog Entries

Better a History degree than a philosophy degree, the very nature of philosophy means sitting around and pondering the questions of the universe, and then complaining about it.

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

I'm more of the opinion that a degree shows you can achieve something. Up to a point, it doesn't matter what degree you have but rather that you have one. I suspect that more than half the working populace aren't doing a job that matches their degree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Waki View Post
    Better a History degree than a philosophy degree, the very nature of philosophy means sitting around and pondering the questions of the universe, and then complaining about it.
    actually philosophy degrees are highly valued by employers. It is not an easy major and it demonstrates intelligence and cognitive thinking. History degrees demonstrate critical thinking abilities and are far from useless.

That being said I am a dual economics mathematics major and quite pleased with my future prospects.

It's largely about how to market yourself, not solely about what your degree is in.

Little Mons†er Senior Member Secura's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ELITEOFKINGWARMAN88 View Post
    Are useless unless you plan on teaching or getting lucky and working in a museum.
    Having studied history at degree level myself, I've heard this little ditty dozens of times and it's a shame really; it just makes a person look ignorant, even if they aren't, simply because it's just a subjective statement that doesn't even have any sort of factual basis. A history qualification is so much more than becoming a teacher or curator.

Using this train of 'logic', you could ask what the use of a French or German degree is, as one would think that anything you really needed to know how to write/say/read would have been picked up when you were 11-18? What about drama/music/performing arts qualifications, since you could argue that the ability to sing or act is an inherent skill rather than something entirely taught?

The majority of people from my history course have actually gone on to work in the business and finance sectors... out of thirty-six students, I believe that I'm one of only four that is steering towards teaching, and even then, that was a massive u-turn that occured late into my course as I was originally set to go down the business route too.
    Last edited by Secura; 07-13-2011 at 23:34.
    "Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself… that is coffee."

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

There is alot to be said in preparation for the future when studying history, at least in my situation. I breezed thru college and earned a BA in History, but failed to do anything else. Upon graduation, I was a duck out of water. No direction and no opportunities that were even remotely apparent. JuJuBee and mediocre jobs became nice bedfellows. Plan ahead. That is the key. Hindsight is 20/20 afterall.
    Silence is beautiful

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

What is the point of this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Peasant Phill View Post
    I'm more of the opinion that a degree shows you can achieve something. Up to a point, it doesn't matter what degree you have but rather that you have one. I suspect that more than half the working populace aren't doing a job that matches their degree.
    Pretty much - I was surprised when I read once that the majority of people with art degrees actually end up with decent jobs - wich of course, have nothing to do with art.

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

Trolling the Frontroom has really gotten poor lately... By the way, though I love the subject, I would myself shy away from get a degree in history (unless you're going to grad school). BUT, you do realize that a significant amount of history majors are people who have great financially security and are going to be spending their college years doing something they want and not have to worry about getting a job instantly. They must look upon non history-major plebeians spending their college years trying to get a 'trade' and work a crappy first job in IT or something.

But it was on sale!! Member Scienter's Avatar

I have a history degree and went on to law school. History teaches research, writing, and analysis. All good things to have when looking for a job (or applying to grad school).
    Hungry? Check out my cooking blog!
    http://thekitchenfrog.blogspot.com

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Meh, I know it's uselss and I know there is a glut of lawyers

But it's what I love, it took a year of Biology to figure that out

I had the same grades but I came home and wanted to swallow gun metal

Not to mention if the youth on this forum is any indication of my compition in the job market, I feel pretty safe.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

I'm majoring in biology and I receive a similar treatment to the history majors, whenever an older male customer at work asks me what I'm majoring in (they're the only people who ever ask) and I tell them I'm majoring in biology, they say "what're ya gonna do? teach?"

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

Undergrad Majors mean nothing.

Nothing.

And they have very little relevance in your acceptance into specialty grad courses. You don't need pre-med to go to med school. You can major in PE and go to law school just fine, as long as you have the test scores.
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump View Post
    Undergrad Majors mean nothing.

Nothing.
    Unless it's a BS.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Hmm do you have a degree in anything?? to compare a history degree with.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post
    Write.
    Yup.

Oh, and make sure you're good at it.

AII
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

at least, you can start applying scholarship for masters deggre in archeology. and start teaching at university.

having experienced being (part time) lecturers myself, I can say a lecturer is a rather nice job to do, too bad, most of the time, I'm stuck in laboratory works

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Member Member stratigos vasilios's Avatar

I'm planning on doing one after my current studies, not for employment purposes, out of pure enjoyment. My current degree is in allied heath so I'll have a job based on the skills shortage of health workers ;-)
    We love you because you died and resurrected to save us...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    We love you Goku!

Yeah I'm going to go back to school and slum around and use up my GI Bill. Even though I can sign it over to a spouse/kids someday, I don't expect it to be worth anything in the future the way the economy is jacked and the way military entitlements change on a whim of Congress.

I don't know what to major in, though, but I do think I will try to join a fraternity at age 40ish. When I go to parties I can ask Sorority girls if their moms are single......

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

I don't know what to major in, though, but I do think I will try to join a fraternity at age 40ish. When I go to parties I can ask Sorority girls if their moms are single......
    I suggest you try mail order bride

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gaelic cowboy View Post
    Hmm do you have a degree in anything?? to compare a history degree with.
    My brother has a BA in History and a MA in Liberal Arts and he's working at Target's and never held a real paying history job since he graduated with the BA in 2004. He wrote a book about local history of the one town here and it's published already, that's about it.

Success eh?

Target is better than Wal Mart

Unless you geta degree in something w/ actual practical applications (like engineering, geology, nursing) then the hunt for a job becomes less about a degree and more about the person, how they market themselves, where they are apllying and the local job market.

His degree is not useless.

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

Quote Originally Posted by ELITEOFKWARMAN88GINGERBREADMAN View Post
    My brother has a BA in History and a MA in Liberal Arts and he's working at Target's and never held a real paying history job since he graduated with the BA in 2004. He wrote a book about local history of the one town here and it's published already, that's about it.

Success eh?
    my father has a BA in history and his occupation is selling multi million dollar jets and troubleshooting other military jets; he essentially has free reign to do whatever he wants with one of those aircraft including sell it to foreign governments and retrofit it in numerous ways. He deals with hundreds of millions of dollars of military money.

success eh?
    Last edited by Centurion1; 07-15-2011 at 17:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Wolf View Post
    I suggest you try mail order bride
    Way ahead of ya, buddy.

Way ahead of ya, buddy.
    Dawwwww,

See guys true love does come with a postal stamp and a sticker that reads "FRAGILE: Handle with extreme caution!"
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

Inflatable ones are made in China.
    Silence is beautiful

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post
    my father has a BA in history and his occupation is selling multi million dollar jets and troubleshooting other military jets; he essentially has free reign to do whatever he wants with one of those aircraft including sell it to foreign governments and retrofit it in numerous ways. He deals with hundreds of millions of dollars of military money.

success eh?
    damn can you get me one, luv jets

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Chuchip, Its funny that you mention the combination of biology and history. History as we know it (and as I studied it in uni around 1980) is gradually being replaced by Big History and by the history of the human race from the perspective of evolutionary biology. IN the words of francis Fukuyama: Darwin replaces Hegel. And it's a fascinating turn of events. No matter what sort of job you hold after you get that degree, there is a wealth of new territory and ideas to be explored. If you are lucky enough to be able to write about it and make a living that way, as Panzer suggested, you will never have a dull moment.

AII
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast