Thread: how to play MTW on windows 7?

Default how to play MTW on windows 7?

today i play MTW on win7, but when i attack another clan, then the computer leave to windows, i dont know why, who can help me.my operating system is win7 Ultimate(64 bit).
    thanks

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: how to play MTW on windows 7?

Welcome to the Org, issac920!

Unfortunately, on some systems MTW does not react very well. People have been able to get MTW running on Win7, so it's probably not just that. What video card do you have? And does it crash when you drop the army piece on the enemy territory in the campaign map, or when it loads up the battle map?
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

I think background programs can interfere with the game and cause crashes. Close any web browsers and make sure no software is gonna do some kind of update or scan while you are playing.

Yes,when i drop the army piece on the enemy territory in the campaign map,it will crash.my video card is ati mobility radeon HD 4570.

I played the game without any backgroud programs including IE8, i think my video card is what causes the problem.

I'm not sure the video card is the problem, I've got an ATI Mobility 4850 that runs the game fine, but I'm running Vista 32-bit. What version of the game do you have (that latest is MTW/VI 2.01)?

If it's a system issue, then I suppose the first thing you should try is the button fix, just to be sure. There is something funky with the way the previous and next buttons on the campaign map get rendered, it was found that these two .bif files could be replaced by ones from a mod and it solved a lot of issues. You can get the files here, and you want to put them in the "Medieval - Total War\campmap\buttons" directory. You should probably also run MTW under Windows 2000 or XP compatibility mode.

If that doesn't work, then some other questions. Have you modded the game at all? Maybe the sound file for an invasion drop is corrupted or missing. I think there is an error log somewhere, but Stazi knows all this stuff better than I do.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

The version of my game is 2.0(Gold Edtion). I have put two .bif files which are "button_ipnext.BIF" and "button_ipprev.bif" in the "Medieval - Total War\campmap\buttons" directory, but nothing runs and the problem exists.
    I dont think the system is the problem, because i have used the software which is "Compatibility Administrator".
    And i havent modded the game at all.
    I think the problem is the video card, the drive of my card is new.
    Last edited by issac920; 07-09-2011 at 09:13.

Ii may be card and/or Win7. I saw many strange bug reports from people trying to run MTW on 7. I see you tried all the methods mentioned by drone so there is not much hope for you but have you tried to lower the resolution? You should lower the res to 800x600 (strategic map) and turn off all special effects. It helped me once but it's not guaranteed.
    Other thing is windowed mode. To run the game in window you have to change the screen color depth to 16 bit and add "D" letter as a command line switch in the game's shortcut. It should look something like this: "D:\Medieval - Total War\Medieval_TW.EXE" D
    You don't add "-" before the D like all others command line switches. I don't know if this windowed mode will work on Win7. I'm XP user.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Thanks for your help.
    I have tried all methods i can do,but I cannot play the game at all.
    So I have to give up.

Hi all i am having a problem that i hope you guys can help a non computer savvy guy like myself fix. I bought MTW and VI expanison and installed them well the game will run and start but once i try to enter the campaign map it crashes. I have been trying everything that i see on google that pertains to this issue to no avail. I have a Toshiba Satellite L655-s5096 Laptop with windows 7 64bit, 3.00GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics Card can someone please tell me what i must to do play the entire game, as the campaign is the funnest part of this game to my memory. I hope i can get some help from you guys you all seem like you know your stuff. thanks for your time.

It'd be easier if you tell us what methods you tried. Anyway, in most situations campaign start crash can be fixed with this little patch. Put it into main game folder and unzip.
    Changing campaign map resolution to 800x600 may help too.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

I have MTW/VI running with win7 64-bit home.

It was kind of goofy to get running initially. I did everything as admin. from install to patches to running the game. It runs stable but will sometimes crash on going to the menu, so quick-save is always my best bet.

I run an NVidia 560Ti, but for whatever reason no option for resolution appears beyond 800x600; I remember one of my installs gave me more video options, but the game was never stable...but I forget what I did to get it to it's present state.

It should run; keep messing with it :)
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Welcome to the Org, Ayoub! It is possible to run MTW on Win7, but the Intel graphics cards are tricky.

@HopAlongBunny : On the limited 800x600 resolutions, try the fix found here.

As I have already said 5000 times, all over... Try buttonfix or download MTW-Redux...

- A

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Welcome to the Org, Ayoub! It is possible to run MTW on Win7, but the Intel graphics cards are tricky.

@HopAlongBunny : On the limited 800x600 resolutions, try the fix found here.
    I believe I used that fix on one of my installs; it works, but I just find the game is stable the way I have it.

Thank you drone
    Ja-mata TosaInu