Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Commentarii de Bello Gallico

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Default Re: Commentarii de Bello Gallico

Besides the official part of the conference there is a new rumor, telling that thousands of Suebi from Germania cross the Triboci (Rhine) to join their brothers at Gallia.

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

The Chief of the Sequani, who had sat down quietly listening, now finally arose to speak.

Boduognatus speaks sense here, or rather he would have, if he had not forgotten that war is already in Gaul. As we speak, Ariovistus and his men are occupying our land, raping our women, stealing our food and our wealth, and have reduced many of my people into slavery. As long as he stays in Gaul there will be war, whether someone calls for it or not! For there to be peace, Ariovistus must either leave of his own accord, or be made to leave by force. Seeing how he has brought thousands of more warriors into Gaul just recently, I don't think there is much hope for the former, so it would appear that the only way to secure peace is, ironically, by means of war.

Finding myself in sharp agreement with Diviciacus and the Aedui should be evidence enough for anyone of how serious this situation is. Caesar, prove to us all that peace is really what you want for Gaul, and get Ariovistus out. The Sequani will of course aid you in this, with warriors and supplies, and we will be your allies and continue our trade with you which has been so prosperous for us both. But we have no more intention to become your protectorate than the Aedui do.
    Last edited by The Celtic Viking; 07-24-2011 at 16:21.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

"Full Deployment in Pritannia"

While the continent is still uncertain on what actions to take, war rages in Britain...

Kassiwalaunos with the main army of 20.000 warriors and 500 chariots, heads towards Camulodunon of the Trinouantoi; close followed by a smaller force of 9.000 and 500 chariots, marching south towards Durouernon of the Kantioi...

With Agrona, the river goddess of carnage, the Bren is eager to meet his enemies!

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Edited as per request of Kagemusha.
    Last edited by ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88; 07-25-2011 at 18:04.

I can confirm that The Suebi has accepted becoming protectorate of Rome, thus they will have what we have offered. The same offer is reached to others as well. The decision is yours.

Caesar
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Blog Entries

To the surprise of many, Ariovistus has made the long journey in secret to the meeting site and has just entered the room surrounded by bodyguards,

To the Warlords of the Aedui and the Sequani,

Yes, we have accepted Rome's Offer. We have did it not only to increase the prestigious nature of our clan, but to protect ourselves also. I have received word that a attempt was made on the Nervii Warlord Boduognatus. One of his guards was killed but he was unharmed. The assassin was a Treveii assassin I was told in conjunction with what my own people have found out on their own. I am shocked that someone who borders me would do it to a friend of our clan.

What are you planning on doing Sequani and Aedui? I do not want war. I do not want to fan the flames of anything. I am trying to secure the peace of my people. I will defend my land with all my might and will not make offensive war if needed to take over someone because we feel like it, only defensive war to protect my people.

Ariovistus of the Suebi leaves the room with his bodyguards.

As Diviciacus closed the missive that was given to him moments before, his demeanor changed. But, between Ariovistus' encroachment into Gaul and Rome backing him up, war was indeed coming. The message was right. Something had to be done.

Immediately, he began scrawling a message for one of his attendants to take post-haste on horseback to Warlord Dumnorix in Bibracte. Making sure he knew to travel with the utmost speed, he turned his attention back to the forum. Taking a moment to gain his strength from his ancestors, Diviciacus stood up and began to speak.

Gauls! Great warlords and druids of our people! We are in danger!

It has become apparent to me that, with the Suebi falling under Rome's sway, that Gaul is in danger from outsiders! Right now, Ariovistus is violating the lands of Gaul with his Germanii, stealing from the mighty Sequani. And, instead of supporting their long-lasting allies, the Romans now support this tyrant. Such an alliance could topple the very way of life of the Sequani and of Gaul itself. The Gauls must stand together!

I have received a missive from another Gaulic Warlord present today, and his advice is wise. We Gauls are not Romans, nor should we pretend to be. Although the Germanii will sell themselves to them, we can stand mighty, a culture united against foreign influence- and we must, or we will fall swiftly, divided as we are, to the foreigners.

And so I propose a counter-agreement to Rome's offer. One also of peace and trade, but additionally one without a far-off foreign government having domain over us. I propose the Gauls unite!

Each of our tribes have a republic of their own, so why not expand on the idea? We should form a Gaullic League; a group of like-minded Gaulic tribes offering free trade, open borders, and a defensive alliance headed by an elected Warlord.

What say you, mighty leaders of Gaul? Will we let the outsiders conquer us one by one? Or will you stand with the Aedui against these invaders?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

As Diviciacus completed his speech, intently waiting on a response, his messenger made all haste to Bibracte- carrying an important note in hand for the Warlord of the Aedui, Dumnorix...

My great lord Dumnorix,

Ariovistus has become a Roman lapdog. With the union of these two powers, I have suggested a Gaullic League to counter-balance this power bloc of foriegners. I send you this message just in case I am retained at Narbo. Prepare our warhost- a war could very well be coming.

Your loyal Druid,
    Diviciacus
    Last edited by Azunti; 07-25-2011 at 22:26.

The Katuwellaunoi appreciate Diviciacus' resolve, seeing how the Aeduoi were friends of the Romani...
    The Bren welcomes such League and wishes to inform that Pritannia will supply grain; military help will be considered after our internal quarrels were to be brought to a conclusion...
    Finally the embassy left Narbo with these words, giving a special look towards the Swebozez: "Be ware of the Divide et Impera"

Caesar listens the words of the Aedui druid with interests and replies:

"The representative of Aedui. Your words do not make sense to me.

As far as i understand it was the Sequani and Arverni who called the Suebi to Gaul to fight Aedui in not too distant past as part of their war effort against Aedui. It was the Suebi who turned the tide of war in favour of Sequani and Arverni. As the victors of that war, Suebi claimed third of the Aedui land. Placing themselves between Aedui and Sequani. Now the Aedui and Sequani have joined hands to attack Suebi. Which side is the agressor here, The Aedui and Sequani who want to attack Suebi, or Ariovistus and Suebi who want to protect their new lands? And one last question. How will protection of Rome towards the Suebi against agressors, will make this a problem of whole of the Gaul?

How i see this is that the problem is the agressive standing of Aedui and Sequani. They seem to be the agressors in this case, not the Suebi trying to protect their lands.

The speech of Catuvellauni representatitve does not surprise me one bit either. At the same breath he accuses Rome of being a threat to Gallia, while they are attacking their own neighbours at the same and were demanding Belgae tribes to become their vassals.

To me it is the problem makers that are trying to pose SPQR as threat to Gaul, while is it not quite obvious that the major threat is actually coming from those very people themselves?
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 07-26-2011 at 11:47.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

(OOC: Wait wait wait, I thought that conflict had not happened yet.)

(OOC: The Aedui versus Arverni, Sequani and Suebi conflict happened apparently before Caesar became the governor of Gallia Transalpina, so im quite sure it has happened. The Caesar´s war against Suebi started when Ariovistus defied his authority, while it seems things are going into completely opposite direction at this one. ;))
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 07-26-2011 at 18:12.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

We, Katuwellaunoi, demanding tribes to become vassals? HA!
    The only one treating others as inferiors it's you Caesar, our offer to all the Belgai brothers, which is still open, was to be equal and respect eachother's domains...
    How you have turned a freedom loving folk like the Swebozez in subordinates, saddens us all!
    Moreover it appears that a learned man such as yourself, can act only in the shadows, deceiving everyone; farewell...

Caesar.Watches as the Catuvellauni leave, without answering to their insults. Only mutters few words to a scribe.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

(OOC: Well poop. I was under the impression they happened at the same time... Ill have to figure out how to reply after work.)

(OOC: Dont worry as this is only the starting conference for the game. You can change your decisions.Nothing has been set to stone as of yet.)
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Blog Entries

I think my Roman friend has said everything that could be said. We help you, and this is how Suebi is repaid?

Ariovistus of the Suebi

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha View Post
    Caesar listens the words of the Aedui druid with interests and replies:

"The representative of Aedui. Your words do not make sense to me.

As far as i understand it was the Sequani and Arverni who called the Suebi to Gaul to fight Aedui in not too distant past as part of their war effort against Aedui. It was the Suebi who turned the tide of war in favour of Sequani and Arverni. As the victors of that war, Suebi claimed third of the Aedui land. Placing themselves between Aedui and Sequani. Now the Aedui and Sequani have joined hands to attack Suebi. Which side is the agressor here, The Aedui and Sequani who want to attack Suebi, or Ariovistus and Suebi who want to protect their new lands? And one last question. How will protection of Rome towards the Suebi against agressors, will make this a problem of whole of the Gaul?

How i see this is that the problem is the agressive standing of Aedui and Sequani. They seem to be the agressors in this case, not the Suebi trying to protect their lands.

The speech of Catuvellauni representatitve does not surprise me one bit either. At the same breath he accuses Rome of being a threat to Gallia, while they are attacking their own neighbours at the same and were demanding Belgae tribes to become their vassals.

To me it is the problem makers that are trying to pose SPQR as threat to Gaul, while is it not quite obvious that the major threat is actually coming from those very people themselves?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Azunti View Post
    (OOC: Well poop. I was under the impression they happened at the same time... Ill have to figure out how to reply after work.)
    (OCC: Don't worry, I made similar mistakes in my first IH years ago!)

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

Like the Katuwellaunoi, I will not waste my time and degrade myself as well as my tribe by continue to partake in this charade. No, we are not willing to exchange one oppressor for another, and would rather die fighting as men. At least that way we will pass into the afterlife with our honour intact.

Before I go, though, I think I should announce my support for this Gaullic League, and I encourage all tribes to join it for the sake of our common survival.

The Sequani chief leaves.
    Last edited by The Celtic Viking; 07-28-2011 at 14:14.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Publius Licinius Crassus is listening very carefully to the debates, from time to time looking at Caesars' back and nodding almost unnoticed.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Blog Entries

How long will this stage last Fran, by the way :)?

Where you misunderstand, Caesar, is that this alliance never said it intended to attack the Suebi or anyone. In its very terms, it states it is a defensive alliance, simply meant to preserve the Gaulic way of life from any foreign influence. Many Warlords across Gaul have contacted me, including the Sequani, and they realize that they made a mistake to invite Ariovistus to our lands.

As it stands now, Ariovistus has not only invaded my lands but seized the lands of the Sequani, who they called an ally. They are wrongfully usurping any lands they decide they want, and they are supported by you now. Though we will not make war, we Gauls will unite should you, Ariovistus, or any other foreigner attempt to violate lands or our way of life in the future.

I cannot speak for the Sequani or Catuvellauni, Caesar, but I will not leave this forum so I may speak on my peoples behalf. We mean you nor Rome any harm, this alliance is merely to prevent violation of Gaulish ways. The Gaulic League is content with peaceful relations, but we will have no toleration from any further foreign encroachment, and will fight like beasts if provoked to defend our homes.

It is to you, Caesar. Shall it be peace? Or war?

Quote Originally Posted by ELITEOFKWARMAN88GINGERBREADMAN View Post
    How long will this stage last Fran, by the way :)?
    Yes, give us bloooood please XD

Blog Entries

Oh, my dear Sequani and Aedui. I do not make war willingly on anyone. My tribe prefers to be left alone.

I,Ariovistus, am also heading back to the relative safety of my tribe. However, before I go, I will leave gifts for everyone, including even the Aedui and Sequani. You two will get special bear furs I have had my hunters harvest for you. The Romans,Caesar, will receive a variety of great gift. The Nervii Warlord/diplomats will receive special gifts as well for the trade and military agreement that was formed between our tribes. I also hope their leader recovers from the attempt on his life by the treached Treveii assassin.

As you can see, I am a peaceful person. I have made friends with Casear and the Nervii, I reach my hand out in friendship to other tribes, even the Sequani, but if it is only you,Aedui, and the Sequani that wishes to be hostile, so be it.

Good day gentlemen!

Ariovistus

Ariovistus leaves with his bodyguard leaving only 2 emissaries.

1) We can end the meeting as soon as you finished your job. At the end of the conference, every player should have a strategy and the coalitions he needs. Kage is the host, so he may end the conference!

2) Every barbarian faction gets the same condition for victory:

You win if you control Celtae and two other provinces out of Belgae, Aquitani and the Roman Province.

3) Next turn is 3rd quarter of the year when Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus and Aulus Gabinius were Consuls at Rome. Later, historians will call this Autum of the year 58 before Jesus Christ, but that is far from now. So the harvest is in and you could do some campaigning before winter.

When this turn begins, you have to decide, where your leaders goes to. This will have concequnces on the diplomacy and the moral of your troops. And you can announce the names of your (human) agents - like the Roman already did.

4) Is there anybody who would like to help me with calculations?
    Last edited by Franconicus; 07-29-2011 at 17:45.

The chief of the Atrebates from the island stands up:
    I watched this for a long time, maybe too long. It seems to me as if everybody is cooking and nothing is in the pot. I want to talk about a real threat and I mean the island. Catuvellauni are about to start a war and I urge them to stop. This is not the way to unite our people!

Finally the leader of the Suessiones stands up. He shakes his head and says:
    All this talking is vane, I say. I just want to warn everyone here, Romans, Germanians and Celticae. If anybody should get ambitions to disturb the peace at Belgae, he will regret it. We will assist every Belgian tribe that needs our help!

The disguised member of the Katuwellaunoi, who remained at Narbo, reached the Atrebates to report the Bren's thoughts:

Since the tumultuous times in the past, when Belgai moved to Pritannia in search of new life, journey that you Atrebatoi took aswell, tribes from the isle opposed us and disrupted an otherwise peaceful coexistence...
    As warriors we must respect their decision and meet them in the open; to the gods the decision of who is the strongest and fittest to rule in order to bring wealth to the people...

- Ignoramus, please clear space in your PM box, need to send you one :)
    - Franconicus, I can help you with calculations, also I wanted to ask: how can we interact with the "non-playable" factions? Will you decide on your own or we can speak to you in their behalf?
    Last edited by Arjos; 07-30-2011 at 00:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos View Post
    The disguised member of the Katuwellaunoi, who remained at Narbo, reached the Atrebates to report the Bren's thoughts:

Since the tumultuous times in the past, when Belgai moved to Pritannia in search of new life, journey that you Atrebatoi took aswell, tribes from the isle opposed us and disrupted an otherwise peaceful coexistence...
    As warriors we must respect their decision and meet them in the open; to the gods the decision of who is the strongest and fittest to rule in order to bring wealth to the people...

- Ignoramus, please clear space in your PM box, need to send you one :)
    - Franconicus, I can help you with calculations, also I wanted to ask: how can we interact with the "non-playable" factions? Will you decide on your own or we can speak to you in your behalf?
    Catuvellauni

Even writing to my protectorate will be viewed as act of war.Do you want challence the Roman might treacherous islander?
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Caesar stands up.

"Ave! We have talked many days. Now i want to have real answers from every tribe present.Will you accept Roman proposition or not?There are different terms decided on private, but say your words to the one who saved you from helvetii,or leave.

In the same time Caesar asks for all the tribal chiefs now bit hungover to the balcony,where they can see thousands and thousands roman legionaries completely still and with movement of caesars arm they start to march, line after line. their feet sounding like thunderstorm.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Is that what being a roman vassal means? Total lack of freedom, that won't allow people even to communicate?!
    You can rest assured that we had no intention of writing to the Allobroges, we were sending an emissary to speak to them...
    You may not know that at Viennai, their oppidon, there's a major healing sanctuary dedicated to Borvo, the Bren's druids wish to visit it one day in the future; to make it a centre of medical learning...
    Last edited by Arjos; 07-30-2011 at 00:22.

Blog Entries

I think it's best not to anger Caesar!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast