Page 1 of 54 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Midgardsaga III [Concluded]

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Default Midgardsaga III [Concluded]

Welcome to the third game in the Midgard saga.
    It is not a sequel to the second game, but a standalone game that has a slightly different story line.

This game will still be similar and will have many of the features of the previous games;
    Since this is an anniversary, I will not do too many changes from the previous game.
    Consider this a Midgard retro game based heavily on the previous two games.

The setting is ancient Norway.
    The Kings of the west and retinues are gathered at Hafrsfjord to discuss the possible invasion of a usurper King called Harald Hårfagre.
    They blame King Eirik of Hordaland and his daughter for putting the idea of gathering Norway into one kingdom to Harald’s mind.
    They all want peace as a war on this scale would tax the small kingdoms of the west coast greatly.

A few Jotun has infiltrated the entourage and will try to kill all the Kings at this gathering, hoping to make sure this war will happen and maybe escalate it to an all encompassing war
    in the Viking world that would put an end to all there is.

The Roles:

Kings – this will be the Kings from the small kingdoms of the west coast of Norway
    Jotun – the Mafiosi
    Pro-town roles
    Townies (various roles in the retinue of the Kings)

The Jotun's main object is to kill the Kings + the pro-town roles. If they are able to do so they will win.

The Rules:

Dead may post but not vote.
    No screen shots of my PMs … You might try to claim a role by either quoting PMs or making one up.
    All roles are within the Norse realm.
    Remember to stay active; the roles depend on you being active and WoOs (Wrath of Odinn) will create advantages to the Jotun. Jotun will never be WoO’ed.

Roles that require sending PMs will do so at their discretion. However there will be a deadline. If they get sent in after that deadline they will not be used for that round.
    The timer starts when I post my: “The game has started”. I will send my PMs and you will return PMs if you role requires it.
    In short; you have 24 hours to pm me after I start the game. This will give you plenty of time to get to know your in-game buddies/allies and devise a strategy.
    There will be a 24 hour session between every intermission. i.e. between the posting of the night kills and the posting of the lynching and then again until the next kill post.

Voting: use the standard. I.e.

Vote: Sigurd
    Unvote: Sigurd Vote: Sasaki.

Do not edit posts containing votes. The original vote will be the vote.

Holmgang: (passage of arms, lit.transl: walk the islet)
    After every lynching and in the intermission before the next night, you have the opportunity to challenge another player to a duel.
    The first Holmgang will be conducted after the first killings and the first lynching.

There will be some sore feelings after the lynching since someone’s cook or serf man got executed. Others might gloat and smirk.
    This will generate a little disturbance at the Hafrsfjord encampment and the normal way of settling this is by Holmgang. If you want to challenge another player, the procedure is:

Challenge: Sigurd.

The first 6 challenges will be considered and by the randomness of a die, one will be picked.
    Players can not spam challenge. Only one challenge pr. player will be added to the list of possible Holmgangs (usually the first).
    Challenges are binding and you can’t unchallenge.
    This Holmgang will be narrated with the kills the following night.
    One of the combatants will usually die.
    Every role will get a Holmgang ability that will determine the outcome of such a duel.
    There is still luck involved in the form of rolling dice and a player with low abilities might be able to get in a lucky shot against a player with higher abilities.
    You will not be able to conduct two Holmgang in succession. You will lose some blood during such a duel and you will need to rest during the next Holmgang session.
    Luckily you all suffer from Viking sickness and will recover quickly. No honourable Viking will challenge a player in his resting. If someone does – that challenge will not be considered.

I will use a new feature to determine the outcome of these fights. This time around they will be quite public.
    In risk style the attacker is at disadvantage since matching dice will favour the defender.
    In-game dice that can only be used once in a post and not edited after submitted, will be used in this game.

Holmgang as a tool will need to tested out and see how this can affect the town effort.

Go here to sign up for this game

Last edited by Sigurd; 07-16-2011 at 20:39.
    Status Emeritus

Default Re: Midgardsaga III

Round 1

News of the usurper king of Vestfold and lately Sogn had reached the kingdoms of the west coast. This eastlander had according to a serf woman wooed King Eirik of Hordaland’s daughter Gyda.
    This serf woman had told the exact words of Gyda’s decline: “Why should I marry someone as petty as you. Come back when you have conquered the whole of Norway”.

Harald Hårfagre (Finehair) had not been insulted, but took the challenge. Words from other parts of the realm told of armies gathering under the leadership of Harald and his intentions were clear. He means to gather the whole of Norway under one King, namely himself.
    The Kings of the West Coast don't want to give their kingdoms over to some usurper King of the East and now a small kingdom of the West.
    But it will turn into bloody business unless they can gather a large enough host that will discourage Harald in his quest.

The Kings have agreed to meet in secret at Hafrsfjord in Rogaland with small retinues to discuss what best to do with Harald.
    They have agreed to have this meeting under Ting rules and as such have sent for a Hovgod to preside over this meeting.

----

The Kings and their retinues arrived one by one and were all met by the elderly man who would be the law speaker at this meeting.
    He assigned an area of the place to each retinue with the order of pitching their tents in a semi circle around the area he had designated the meeting to take place.
    When all the Kings and their retinues had arrived and gathered before the law speaker, he declared the meeting under Ting laws in session.
    This meant that everyone was equal under the law. Kings and commoners would eat at the same table and have equal privileges and rights.
    No disputes would be settled in private, but had to be heard publically. Petty disputes could be settled by Holmgang, but only under the law speaker’s approval.

The Game has begun…

When you get your PM’s and if your role needs to send me a PM
    You have until tomorrow at 22:00 GMT to send it (deadline)

Good Luck People!

Players:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Andres
    Askthepizzaguy
    autolycus
    B_Ray
    Believer
    Captain Blackadder
    Chaotix
    classical_hero
    Csargo
    Death is Yonder
    Diamondeye
    Earthling
    ELITEOFKINGWARMAN88
    GeneralHankerchief
    glyphz
    Ironside
    issaikhaan
    Kagemusha
    Khazaar
    Major Robert Dump
    Mr. Stuka
    Nightbringer
    Reenk Roink
    Renata
    robbiecon
    Romanic
    Seamus Fermanagh
    Seon
    Thefluffyone93
    TheLastDays
    TinCow
    Tratorix
    Visorslash
    White_eyes:D
    woad&fangs

Last edited by Sigurd; 07-13-2011 at 07:46.
    Status Emeritus

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

Default Re: Midgardsaga III [In Play]

YE BOI

Vote: abstain courteously
    Challenge: Seamus

By the way I want to show you how big of a holmgangsta I am so please challenge me.

All right.. in case any other wise guys attempt anything.
    This game starts with a night. Nothing else to do in this thread than to get acquainted at this time. Get to know your roles and your allies and if you need to plan your strategies, do so before 22:00 GMT tomorrow.
    Status Emeritus

God Gyda is such a *****... If she had just put out, a thousand honorable Vikings could go back to bedding their better looking wives, but of course, that was the point of your war mongering wasn't it?

ridiculously suspicious Member TheLastDays's Avatar

I agree, let's just force her to marry the guy.
    I hear the voice of the watchmen!

New Mafia Game: Hunt for The Fox

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

But if she doesn't marry him...
    we can all FIGHT about it!

and what viking doesn't love fighting!
    *peers around accusingly at everyone*
    Moderator of The Throne Room
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
    But if she doesn't marry him...
    we can all FIGHT about it!
    YARGGGG!

The Pony Whisperer Member Believer's Avatar

And what viking doesn't love fighting!
    None of us love fighting, or are you saying you're a Jotun?
    Believer says (11:06):
    Can I have the 3 last replies as a signature?
    ATPG says (11:06):
    No.
    Why?
    not org-appropriate
    Believer says (11:07):
    Nothing we say is org-appropriate

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    None of us love fighting, or are you saying you're a Jotun?
    Hah! The Jotun are a myth, and vikings most certainly do love fighting!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	viking-kill.jpg 
Views:	707 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	1515
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

FoS: Nightbringer

You are aware that we are holding this meeting to avoid an all encompassing war, right?

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

You see those three giant blades?

Mine are bigger.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    You see those three giant blades?

Mine are bigger.
    Big blades to compensate for a tiny body part?
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post
    Big blades to compensate for a tiny body part?

Big blades to remove big mouth from big face of big wiseguy.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Big blades to remove big mouth from big face of big wiseguy.
    Said the man who needs a looking glass to find his tiny friend...
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Said the man who needs a looking glass to find his tiny friend...
    You'll need a search party to find yours.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Now now now, I'm sure you all have very small friends and we can worry about finding them and matching them to the proper owners AFTER we are done with all the warring and killing and I have finished chopping you all into little pieces.

You'll need a search party to find yours.
    You would be surprised whose wive is part of the daily big search parties interested in finding it

Ja mata, TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastDays View Post
    FoS: Nightbringer

You are aware that we are holding this meeting to avoid an all encompassing war, right?
    And in the process, we can beat up some womenly cowards calling for peace and calmth

Ja mata, TosaInu

And in the process, we can beat up some womenly cowards calling for peace and calmth
    Hear hear!

Peace and calpth be for the weak!

This place should only be for manly men like me!

You would be surprised whose wive is part of the daily big search parties interested in finding it
    *bursts out laughing*

You are a very funny man. I will make sure guests at your funeral know this.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Gyda?

Ja mata, TosaInu

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

Please stop arguing
    We are here for the Peace
    Or should I say Piece?
    Where go the pub?
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

I like pacifists. They are easier to kill.

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Who all wants Cashews and Milk?

Bastion of Sanity Member Captain Blackadder's Avatar

Hear hear!

Peace and calpth be for the weak!

You will be crushed like 9 flabby grapes.

Coming Soon to a Gameroom Near You

Alright [/pacifist mode]

See you all in Valhalla!

Nordmøre rulez! YARGGGG!

The Pony Whisperer Member Believer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastDays View Post
    Alright [/pacifist mode]

See you all in Valhalla!
    Obvious Jotun is obvious.
    Can I have the 3 last replies as a signature?
    No.
    Why?
    not org-appropriate
    Believer says (11:07):
    Nothing we say is org-appropriate

Page 1 of 54 123451151 ... LastLast