Thread: Splashtop Remote

Default Splashtop Remote

I did a search but didn't find anything on this software...

So, has anyone ever heard of it?

Basically it's a remote desktop app that lets you connect to another windows/Mac/Linux box and displays it's screen on your mobile device.
    I hear you thinking "what's the point?". The point is that you can connect to your big clunky windows desktop computer from your apple iOS or android mobile device and have access to your gaming computer. Via gestures you can do all the normal stuff, drag n drop, scroll, right-click, etc.
    I know some guys have been experimenting with it for playing SC2. I'm thinking it has potential for playing Total War games. Perhaps not online or anything, but there are some nights where I might want to get in a couple turns in SP mode, but don't want to have to boot to my windows partition on my MacBook. And icing on the cake would be to do it from the comfort of my bed. I'm going to test using this app for playing RTW and M2TW from my iPhone, iPad and perhaps my wife's droid. I'm just creating this thread for others to perhaps let me know if they have already tried the app, possible altnatives, and to document my experience with Splashtop.

Sent form remote...

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Default Re: Splashtop Remote

I do have it but not used it much. Quite neat though. Saw someone playing Combat Mission with it, so it is possible to play games.

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

Hello Risasi,

Is this some Hamachi or Teamviewer kind of software exactly ?

No, it's not like Hamachi. It let's one remote connect to a computer. The difference is that the video refresh rate is fast enough to provide a decent framerate.
    At least on a local wifi. Here, this might better help: http://www.splashtop.com/remote

I still haven't got around to testing it with TW.

Ok, I got PM'ed by one of the mods (not LeftEyeNine, and it was something like two weeks ago). Apparently I came off as bot-like.

Just to make things blatantly clear. I'm in no way affiliated with Splashtop. I'm just a computer guy, who also happens to like playing Total War games. I also happen to tinker with all sorts of weird and crazy crap. (Yeah, the Starcraft 1 Windows Terminal Server was a total fiasco back in 2002 :-) )

I'm not even sure Splashtop is any good, IANAL, caveat emptor. I've done some precursory fiddling with it, running videos from a remote machine to my wife's ipad. That's all. I just posted here seeing if this app was on anyone's radar, and who had experience. I'm just looking for clever ways of easily playing one of the few games I still play. That's all. I'm just posting this so people understand I'm being totally upfront...

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

We're pretty convinced that you are a nice guy who has the potential to be a long-standing member even nicer both in the forums and in private.

Welcome.

Ha, you're too kind. Ok, so we're good...

Back on topic. Hopefully I get to tinker in the next few months. If I do I'll post my experience here.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

I was the erring mod who suspected a bot; sorry about that. Apologies made in PM, and now in public. I will also accept a public flogging and/or the stocks, as the Orgahs deem appropriate.

On-topic: I see they offer a starter version. What's the gimp factor with that? Is it functional or crippled beyond usability? I see they offer the PC client and server for free, so it sounds like they're trying to get the tablet/smartphone side to pay for all of the development.

It would be very cool to be able to play S2 on my dinky laptop on the couch.
    Last edited by Lemur; 07-28-2011 at 16:39.

Ok, I tried it, it works fine on the network, bit of lag over WiFi with the full 1920*1200 resolution streaming(which also seems to be heavy on my quad core), less with 1024*768, though I don't see that much use when I'm at home anyway, don't have a big home.

Then I tried it at the university via the intertubes, with 1024*768 it worked quite well.
    Of course there was some lag but if you're away from home and need to get a file from your home PC or do some maintenance on some server it seems pretty nice, and so far it's free.
    They say internet connectivity will cost later on but since I found VPN is really simple to set up with my router (more or less automatic), maybe that will allow me to circumvent this in the future, although I didn't try that today. Not that I wouldn't be willing to pay a lot if the price is reasonable and the solution more comfortable, which it currently is.

Nice software toy, I like it, don't think I'd play games with it over the internet though, well, maybe to show off a bit.

Oh yeah, I used mostly the Windows Client, but the iPhone client works fine as well, just wonder how to switch to my second monitor on the PC client, there's a button in the iPhone version but can't find one in the PC client.
    Last edited by Husar; 07-28-2011 at 23:35.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

@Lemur: No sweat. I know you were just trying to keep spammers under control. I wasn't going to publicly out you BTW, I don't think that would have been proper. But I felt the need to at least defend myself publicly. And if I came across as harsh in PM, my public apologies.
    Anyway, no blood, no foul. How about we not talk about it again. In my mind it's a nothing.

Back on topic:
    ---
    I just put my money where my mouth is. I have previously tried the free low-res app on my ipad/iphone before I started this thread. There was some choppiness, but I thought perhaps livable. Well, I just bought the $9.99 HD app for the ipad. I rebooted into Windows 7 and installed the desktop app. I had to drop my res and run RTW in windowed mode (a minor annoyance)
    Nice screen, sound transport is flawless. There does seem to be about a 200ms lag in video feed, but the video feed itself is smooth. No, it's not the greatest thing since butter on toast, but I think it's probably good enough to play the campaign (with battle auto-resolve) in pretty much any TW game, or a Sid Meier Civ game.

I was hoping to post a message gloating about how I was sitting on the couch with my wife and "watching" a movie with her, while secretly playing RTR on the sly via the ipad. Alas, total mission failure.
    This is where it fell on it's face; the interface. I could not for the life of me scroll around the map properly. I thought I had it licked by putting the cursor keys on screen, but as soon as I would try to select a city the screen would freak and dump into a random corner. Almost like it's detecting the mouse movement and then that's getting stuck into whichever direction I went. This might just be a config issue and lack of knowledge on my part. If I get it working I'll post back in here and try to make a jeng or youtube video or something, so people can actually see it in action.

I'm sort of envisioning using one's mobile device to put their hotrod desktop gaming rig at their fingertips, literally. If I didn't need to be so mobile I would probably do exactly this. Gaming rig at home running Windows 7, and an ipad for lightweight stuff with the ability to connect to the windows rig.

Good post regarding Splashtop. The remote support technology allows businesses to access folders, files and important data stored on their corporate network from any computer in the world. Popular solutions like RHUB remote support appliances are used by help desk service, Infrastructure Management Services etc. in order to instantly serve business clients without keeping them on hold.

I was thinking to access my pc from my minix (android) connected to a hd tv and but using keyboard and mouse for playing the game