Thread: SLOW EB performance on AMD 6750M

Default SLOW EB performance on AMD 6750M

Hi guys,

After struggling to run EB (and pretty much any game) on a tablet pc for three+ years with crappy integrated graphics, I finally got a new laptop with the high-ranked AMD 6750M card.
    Just to provide some perspective this is able to run Crysis 2 on Gamer settings with an average of 35 fps.

So thing is I loaded up EB on my laptop, installed Jirisys' Mega Mod Pack and proceeded to start a battle on highest settings (except for medium grass detail) with around 3000+ men on each side. Supposedly the card should be able to handle it.
    I got a sluggish 15-18 FPS. Loaded it again after rebooting, got the same again.
    On AMD's Catalyst Control Center app I have enabled High Performance (meaning the 6750M card is used instead of Intel HD 3000 graphics) on the RomeTW exe, and the Alex exe as well. I still got the same stuttering. Can anyone explain why this is happening?

Thanks in advance.....

Edit: Just tried the settings on Medium, got the same 15-18 FPS. Weird.
    Last edited by Aesir98; 07-13-2011 at 05:05.

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

Default Re: SLOW EB performance on AMD 6750M

Welcome to the forum!

Hard to say as your configuration is out of normal...
    One thing you have to know is that RTW was never designed to use that powerful hardware and thus cannot profit that much from it.

Apart from that I would guess that it has something to do with drivers and compatibility.
    As EB is much more heavier than Vanilla you might want to load it up and check if the same problem occurs there too...

What helped some AMD users in the past was to revert to an older driver version, however, seeing that this card is somewhat new released I doubt this is possible.

XSamatan

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

Not really surprising, actually. With RTW single thread CPU performance and RAM are more useful than a powerful graphics card as its graphics aren't anything near cutting edge anyway. So in terms of graphics the grunt power is wasted on an engine that does not make use of it, while limited amounts of RAM or processor speed (single threaded) might well be starving it at the same time.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Actually I got two BSODs today related to "memory management". The technicians at the HP service center say the single 4 GB RAM chip is faulty.
    So it might be that which is causing the problem -once I get the laptop back from them I'll try the above fixes and see if they work.

Thanks!

Incredibly sorry to resurrect this old thread.

Anyway I got my laptop back from HP and the memory chip was replaced, but I still have the same slowness on the battlemap.

Using GPU-Z and GPU-Shark I have now checked and RTW only uses the integrated Intel HD 2000 graphics rather than the AMD 6750M even though RTW is set at High Performance (meaning the dedicated graphics is meant to be used) in the AMD Catalyst Control Center.

Are there any other AMD card users out there who know how to force RTW to run on dedicated AMD graphics, through CCC?
    Last edited by Aesir98; 08-23-2011 at 17:53.

If Vanilla RTW also shows this lagg my first option would be a search around the main RTW forums around the internet for any problems related to the graphic chip.
    Also AMD itself might be an option to start, maybe there are new drivers released.

Try also to play with the graphic settings of RTW, disable AA, use low details.
    If you know enough to change settings in your AMD-driver-dialogue, do that.

Some other things:
    Defrag HDs
    deactivate AntiVir-programs during playtime
    move RTW from the system partition to another HD (if possible)

XSamatan

Apprentice Geologist Member Blxz's Avatar

yeah, also try to isolate when the effects start. try from the lowest graphical settings and work your way up gradually. If its lagging all the time then there could be some other underlying problem. if its only lagging from say, high to ultra settings then you have narrowed your problem a bit.

As for your amd problem I have no idea. I use a similar card in a laptop and have no problems at all but only ever run on Large unit sizes as I don't like the bloated feel of the huge sizes.
    Completed Campaigns:
    Macedonia EB 0.81 / Saby'n EB 1.1
    Qart'Hadarst EB 1.2 / Hai EB 1.2
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria
    donated by Brennus for attention to detail.

Thanks, what AMD card exactly is that?

And btw I've checked on other forums and it seems that other AMD 6xxxM users cannot change their switchable graphics to run RTW dedicated, so it only runs on the integrated card.

I am running the game at around 20-45 fps now on Medium/Low on Large unit size. No way am I turning my back on EB, I guess I just have to make do though.

:D

Quote Originally Posted by Aesir98 View Post
    And btw I've checked on other forums and it seems that other AMD 6xxxM users cannot change their switchable graphics to run RTW dedicated, so it only runs on the integrated card.
    Report that to AMD, RTW is still a somewhat important game, maybe they will fix that.