Thread: How often does everyone get CTD's after conquering a city?

Default How often does everyone get CTD's after conquering a city?

I'm just wondering because they seem to be happening for me with alarming regularity, to the point where it's actually ruining every campaign I try to play. It only happens if I siege a city, fight the battle and then win. As soon as I click the checkmark to load the campaign back up after I've won, CTD. I keep getting to around 260 B.C. in various campaigns before I lose the will to go on. I'll get to a point where I start getting paranoid about taking cities because I know there's an 80% chance it's going to crash afterwards before I get a chance to save.

This morning I started a Romani campaign. I fought the battle in Taras and got a CTD, so loaded back up and fought it again. I then took Rhegion and got a CTD, loaded it back up and fought it again. I then went for Bononia and got a CTD... and lost the will to go on. I'd only played 8 turns or so.
    EBII has finally released. All hail the EBII team!

Default Re: How often does everyone get CTD's after conquering a city?

Have you tried waiting a few (20 to be on the safe side) seconds before clicking on the "Accept" button (or whatever it is called) after the battle? Giving your machine some time to actually manage its memory.

Never had much problem with it. The exception seems to be when the besieged include both the faction leader and the faction heir, as the game then has issues determining faction leaders etc for the affected faction.

It's worth a try I suppose... Never thought to do that.
    EBII has finally released. All hail the EBII team!

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

This advice is worth every second!!!

For other helpful things look this up: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=103681

XSamatan

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

Apprentice Geologist Member Blxz's Avatar

Also a quick question...are you running the game on a multi-core machine? I was plagued by CTD's much as you are. But when I read this fix it has reduced it for me. I have had 2 CTD's in the last 20 hours of playing so I know for sure that it is having a massive effect (for me at least).

On a multicore you need to load the game up to the main screen, Single player, continue game, load game, etc. Then alt tab out and ctrl-alt-del and go to the process manager thingy. In the processes tab find "romeTW.exe" and right click it. Go to "Set affinity". Set the affinity to a single core (I prefer the second core), then press OK.

Go back into the game and it should run fine without CTD's. Any other's that occur may be from other problems, but you should notice a MASSIVE reduction. Keep in mind though that this will run the game at the speed of a single core. Since EB tends to be a little demanding in terms of processing power you may need to turn down some graphics settings if you normally have them up high. I find Medium everything on large unit sizes can run all battles at max speed-up unless its 2 full size armies.

Best of luck and let me know how this goes.

EDIT: Also, it can be a pain in the arse sometimes but you will need to do this every time you run the game. There is no way to save the affinities set once you close the program.
    Last edited by Blxz; 07-19-2011 at 15:34. Reason: Extra info
    Completed Campaigns:
    Macedonia EB 0.81 / Saby'n EB 1.1
    Qart'Hadarst EB 1.2 / Hai EB 1.2
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria
    donated by Brennus for attention to detail.

Terrible Tactician Member Shadowwalker's Avatar

Forgot something it seems.

Blxz, I have to thank you very much for that advice. Using this has reduced my crashes from "about every second battle, at least every hour of playing" to somewhat like "about every three hours", a significant improvement.

So again: Thanks a lot. :)
    Finished EB Campaigns: Kart-Hadast 1.0/1.2 | Pontos 1.1 | Arche Seleukeia 1.2 | Hayasdan 1.2 | Sab'yn 1.2 | Makedonia 1.2 (Alex)
    Lost Campaigns (1.2, Alex. exe): Getai | Sab'Yn
    Ongoing campaigns (1.2): SPQR (110 BC) | Sab'yn (217 BC) | Pontos (215 BC)
    from Populus Romanus

"The state of human ethics can be summarized in two sentences: We ought to. But we don't." (Tucholsky)

Apprentice Geologist Member Blxz's Avatar

Glad to help Shadowwalker but the discovery was not mine. Always happy to pass it on though. Its made my gaming life much better.
    Completed Campaigns:
    Macedonia EB 0.81 / Saby'n EB 1.1
    Qart'Hadarst EB 1.2 / Hai EB 1.2
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria
    donated by Brennus for attention to detail.