Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Preview: Taksashila (Mauryan Satrapy)

Default Re: Preview: Taksashila (Mauryan Satrapy)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy1984 View Post
    It's too bad that by the time EB2 is released, I won't be playing any games whatsoever anymore. Even now my interests in them have declined spectacularly, as well as the time that I can reasonably free up for them. I guess I reached both age and situation to leave these things, and there's very little to be done against it. But suffice it to say that previews like this show exactly why EB1.2 has been one of the very few games that kept my attention and interests for so long a timespan.

Even when I will probably hardly (or not) play it at all, the team should rest assured that their efforts are definitly not in vain. Over the years, I've come to enjoy EB both as a relaxed and slow game, as well as a masterpiece of historical knowledge that comes with by far the most baffling athmosphere I've ever encountered. As such, I've already advised EB1.2 to my youngest brother, who is currently overwhelmed by the deepness and vastness of the mere mechanics of the game. I sincerely hope that he'll soon be touched by the historical and athmospheric aspects of it as well, and develops and further deepens his interests in these things just the way I did. With a bit of luck, that microbe sticks with him for the coming five to eight years, at which point he'll most likely leaves gaming as well.

Whatever happens to that, I'm truly glad EB brings together so many artists from different fields, and enables others to experience the vastness of what they have to offer. Be it historical information or impressions and other artistic achievements. I'll obviously continue to read your previews. Not as previews, but as examples of how information of various kind can be brought together into more and more complete pictures. These previews somehow capture the reason why I decided to study history all these years ago. They're wat brought me back to reading history-books on my own. (I dropped that during and after history-classes as I perceived them at times to be too boring.) That interest in historical magic, into the overwhelming impression I have when encountering a completely different and often strange culture, is something I'd never wish to loose. Not even when gaming will be a faraway past.

Kind regards and much strenght wished in your bold achievement,

Andy

Thank you kindly, Andy. It is very rewarding, after having spent so much time and hard work, to see people read and appreciate the effort put into this. It is my hope that even those who do not intend to play can read and enjoy the previews, with all the historical information and pretty units, and still feel that they get something out of it.
    Of course, our ambition is to make a great mod that is fun to play, but as I have already said, getting people interested in ancient history, and especially the somewhat more "obscure" and less well known aspects thereof, is something that I personally feel is also one of the most iportant roles of EB. Thus, when people say that what we have produced has helped create an interest in history, and made them start read and learn about those subjects, it sort of feels like we have accomplished some of what we're aiming for.

So, thanks to you, and to all who have given such positive and appreciative responses, and I hope you will continue to read and enjoy the previews we produce.
    Who knows, perhaps it may even lure some old veterans out of their hiatus and back into gaming again...
    Last edited by Mithridates VI Eupator; 08-04-2011 at 14:08.

Sorry about the double post, but just a small announcement:

The preview posts have today recieved a small update. Primarily typos and other "stylistic" issues with the text, but also a couple of clarifications, as well as removal of some map screenshots that appeared twice. Also added the original versions of Persian royal names, instead of the graeco-roman versions.
    Last edited by Mithridates VI Eupator; 08-04-2011 at 14:16.

Beautiful, you deserve a dancing elephant

The intro mentions Greek king Tulamay, is it Ptolemaios?

my balloons

Yes, it is Ptolemaios. I have used the names of the hellenistic kings as they appear in Mauryan Indian inscriptions.

Magnificent! It will be refresing to fight with and against Indian faction.

Just one question, are all their units previewed or will there be more? Their rooster doesn't seem very large.

This is what they'll have for the first release.

Quote Originally Posted by Stark View Post
    Magnificent! It will be refresing to fight with and against Indian faction.

Just one question, are all their units previewed or will there be more? Their rooster doesn't seem very large.
    I like roosters too, tasty...

There will be 3 unit releases, so you could say this is around 1/3 of all the units.

Member Member stratigos vasilios's Avatar

Sorry for the necro, but I just re-read this all again. I can't tell you how huge this is, I really can't get over it. Wow.
    We love you because you died and resurrected to save us...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    We love you Goku!

That bull in the faction symbol is anatomically correct. Yeah.

What language is used for the unit names? If it's Sanskrit I would be happy to lend some of my knowledge if you like. I know a little Sanskrit (I'm in my third semester of it), though I'm by no means fluent.

Thanks. But we already have someone in the team with good knowledge in sanskrit.

"Death Smiles at Us All,all a Man Can Do Is Smile Back."
    Maximvs Decimvs Meridivs, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, Iberian Gladiator.

Been reading this forum for a while now, but just registered to say how extremely impressed I am by the amount of work you put into this. The generals all look amazing, and the Mauryan ones in particular!

EB1, even with all it's flaws, is easily among the best games I've ever played. From what I can see here EB2 will be sensational!

Wow this is pure Art guys , really wonderful

any chance for Pahlavians to have their own preview before release?

Cheers

Forgotten Empire

I'm sure they will.

"Death Smiles at Us All,all a Man Can Do Is Smile Back."
    Maximvs Decimvs Meridivs, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, Iberian Gladiator.

ridiculously suspicious Member TheLastDays's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JMRC View Post
    I'm sure they will.
    This is a ephemism for: The release is so far away, everyone and his grandmother will get a preview before that.

I hear the voice of the watchmen!

New Mafia Game: Hunt for The Fox

Could Seleucids be close to preview? :)

RABO! Member Brave Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

Focus on release more than previews. Previews are a one night stand; exciting for a short time but ultimately leave you wanting more. Release is like a friend with benefits. Everything you could possibly ask for in life.
    From Frontline for fixing siege towers of death
    x30 From mikepettytw for showing how to edit in game text.
    From Brennus for wit.

Member Member stratigos vasilios's Avatar

I'm not sure, I wouldn't mind lots of 'one night stands'. They'd keep me happy
    We love you because you died and resurrected to save us...
    We love you Goku!

Hi, I have one question. In the chapter "The Rise of Magadha and the Mauryan Empire" there is something i don't understand. little quote from preview.

According to Justin (15.4), Chandragupta met with Alexander during his campaign along the Indus, but insulted him and was forced to flee. After his flight, a portent, where a tame lion approached him in the forrest, made him take up arms against the invaders, and drive them out of India, whereupon he made himself king. This would not make sense if the northwest had already been handed over to Chandragupta by Poros, and hence Majumdar et al. (1960) argue that Chandragupta’s conquest of the northwest was a separate campaign against the free states and Macedonian enclaves left there, which occurred following the fall of the Nandas. It has sometimes been argued that the “Alexandrum” of Justin’s text should in fact be rendered “Nandrum”, implying that it was from the court of the Nanda king that Chandragupta fled, and that was the Nandas (perhaps in their role as shudras) that is meant by the “foreign overlords” mentioned in Justin’s account (Justin 15.4). Majumdar et al. (1960), however, reject this hypothesis, arguing that Chandargupta’s meeting with Alexander is corroborated by other sources.
    I found a few versions and translations of Justin work (latin, english, polish http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/justin/15.html http://www.forumromanum.org/literatu...n/texte15.html http://agoraclass.fltr.ucl.ac.be/con...v_15/texte.htm), and in all of them there is "Nandrum" not "Alexandrum". Sorry but this section would not make sense for me if all sources claim that he was fled from "Nandrum" not "Alexandrum". Maybe there is some oldest version of Justin's Historiarum Philippicarumor something else. I'll be gratefull for some explanation :)

BTW. Very good work. I don't have idea that ancient indian history is so fascinating. Looking forward next preview. :)

from Brave Brave Sir Robin
    from Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

Thank you. I'm glad you appreciate it.

As to your question, it is correct that most modern translations render it Nandrum, as it is generally considered more in line with what is known from other sources, i.e. that Chandragupta revolted against the nanda dynasty. Still, as I wrote in the preview, many scholars reject this rendering, as they believe that the meeting between Chandragupta nad Alexander is well attested inother sources. (However, many of these sources may have used Trogus's history, on which Justin's work is based, as a source, so this need not say anything). In older translations, you may sometimes find the rendering "Alexandrum".

From a purerly historical point of veiw, I think the story of Chandgupta meeting with Alexander may very well be apocryphical, and that he had a conflict with Nanda is onviously true, so much does indeed point towards that being the proper rendcering. Still, one could well argue that it is a bit strange of Justin to suddenly throw the Nandas in like that in the narrative, and as most of the knowledge that the graeco-roman world had about India was the result of Alexander's campaign, it is not implausible that it was in fact meant to read Alexandrum in the original, and that the Nandrum rendering is the work of overzealous translators attempting to make Justin's work fit with historical facts.

Both these arguments have some merit to them, so it is basically up to each person to make up their own mind about what they beleive. But as you note, it does seem as though the pendulum is currently swinging in favour of the Nandrum-hypothesis, though.

Thank you very much for your detailed answer :).
    Right now i know much more about this "Nandrum-Alexandrum" situation.
    Can't wait to read Baktrian's preview. :)

from Brave Brave Sir Robin
    from Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

I love your work guys! Hope to see new preview soon and if you can please some shots from the map...

Good luck EB team!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345