Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Preview: Taksashila (Mauryan Satrapy)

Default Re: Preview: Taksashila (Mauryan Satrapy)

Wow, I doubt anyone here is as excited as I am about this new faction! OK, there probably are people more excited than me. Thank you for the wonderful preview! Seriously considering playing Taksashila for my first campaign now. Dang, good stuff.

I bet the EB Team has invented the next weapon of mass destruction without even knowing it. First chemical warfare, then biological warfare, now Europa Barbarorum II warfare. As a branch of cyber warfare, Europa Barbarorum II warfare is performed by hacking in to an enemy's computer networks, and then having Europa Barbarorum II appear on all monitors as a popup. When hostile soldiers play the game, they are so immersed that they could not care less is someone walks up and shoots them in the head. Problem is, I think the CIA is already using it.

Quote Originally Posted by NIKOMAHOS View Post
    Have you seen all the factions?

Just wait my friend. Just wait...

NIKOMAHOS
    Nope, but now I'm really truly going to play them first just because you said something :D

Well finally!! A mention- sheesh I thought I was never going to be called

Upon the abdication of Chandragupta, his son Bindusara took over the throne. Not much is known about the reign this monarch, who reigned from 297 B.C. to 273 B.C. He is mentioned in Greek sources as Amitrochates, which may be a Greek rendering of the Sanskrit Amitraghata, which can be translated as “slayer of foes”

Ps. Took a total of 7 years and counting !!
    Last edited by amritochates; 07-15-2011 at 07:53.
    In the three years of war, necessity gave birth to invention. During those three years, we built bombs, we built rockets, we designed and built our own delivery systems. For three years, blockaded without hope of imports, we maintained engines, machines, and technical equipment. We spoke to the world through a telecommunications system engineered by local ingenuity. In three years of freedom, we had broken the technological barrier. In three years, we became the most civilized, the most technologically advanced black people on earth."
    - General Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu

I have the highest respect for the work the EB team has put into this preview, but i can´t help but think that this faction is not adequate given the extension of the map in the mod. If the map covered the indian subcontinent, then i would understand the inclusion of a faction like this one. I remain skeptical that a regional power like this one can be represented accurately given the limitations of the map, but after reading this preview i am confident that the EB team believes otherwise, and that they´ll do their best to make up for the limitations of the map.

ok finished reading it it´s a good read and probably depending on how the scripted events work it might make for an amazing gameplay

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Quote Originally Posted by Bucefalo View Post
    I have the highest respect for the work the EB team has put into this preview, but i can´t help but think that this faction is not adequate given the extension of the map in the mod. If the map covered the indian subcontinent, then i would understand the inclusion of a faction like this one. I remain skeptical that a regional power like this one can be represented accurately given the limitations of the map, but after reading this preview i am confident that the EB team believes otherwise, and that they´ll do their best to make up for the limitations of the map.
    Well it's a satrapy, with an history of gaining independence from the empire, in a region constantly invaded by other tribes and nations, imo it all makes sense...
    Last edited by Arjos; 07-15-2011 at 19:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos View Post
    Well it's a satrapy, with an history of gaining independence from the empire, in a region constantly invaded by other tribes and nations, imo it all makes sense...
    The word "satrapy" is not 100% correct, actually. It is a viceroyalty, one of 4 or 5 in the entire Mauryan Empire. As such, it is a substantially more powerful entity than a satrapy (the mauryan empire did not really have the title "satrap", but the closest equvalent would have been the Pradeshika). Also, note that it is, at the time being, not actually part of the Mauryan Empire. Ashoka is believed to have taken controll of Pataliputra directly upon his father's death in 273, while Susima, who was at the time in Taksashila, did not accept Ashoka as the legitimate emperor. (Indeed, Susima was the oldest of Bindusara's sons, and hence the legitimate heir to the throne).

Thus, this faction represents Susima's portion of the empire, which in reality was conquered by Ashoka within a few years, but we will here give the player the opportunity to do something different. (although a careless player may end up sharing Susima's fate...) You can be sure we will make the presence of the Mauryan empire felt by the player, even though it's not on the map. There will be interactions, and sometimes even war, depending on how events unfold! I can't say much more at the moment, you will all learn in due time.

In addition, the area again gained independence shortla after the death of Ashoka, probably as a result of the empire being divided up between two or more of Ashoka's sons. One quite possible hypothesis is that it was divided in one western and one eastern part. One thing that points to such a division is the story of King Shabagasena, whom Antiochos III is supposed to have demanded tribute from in 206 BC. Greek historians describe this Shubagasena as king of the Indians, but he is almost certainly not the same as the then current Mauryan emperor, Salisuka. However, the -sena ending of his name is hereditary, and we know that one of Ashoka's sons, called Virasena, was Viceroy at Taksashila later in Ashoka's reign. Hence, it is possible that the empire was divided up between Ashoka's sons, with Virasena's line reigning in the west.

Further, by including this faction, we could shed some further light on the ancient history of India, which is something that many people are unfamiliar with. Apart from creating a great mod, one of our motives is to convey knowledge of ancient history, and by including this faction, it is my hope that people will learn something about ancient Indian history and culture.
    Last edited by Mithridates VI Eupator; 07-15-2011 at 23:34.

Well i really didn't see that coming. Really. Fanstastic... This will really add a new dimension to the game
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Fantastic post Mithridates, we are all learning already a lot, thx ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Mithridates VI Eupator View Post
    You can be sure we will make the presence of the Mauryan empire felt by the player, even though it's not on the map. There will be interactions, and sometimes even war, depending on how events unfold! I can't say much more at the moment, you will all learn in due time.
    And this, awesome! :O

tl:dr

Just kidding.
    But seriously, I feel a little uncomfortable with having a civilization right on the edge of the map. Makes it much easier for them since they have no borders with any enemies.
    Last edited by SD1987; 07-16-2011 at 02:25.

Thus, this faction represents Susima's portion of the empire, which in reality was conquered by Ashoka within a few years, but we will here give the player the opportunity to do something different. (although a careless player may end up sharing Susima's fate...) You can be sure we will make the presence of the Mauryan empire felt by the player, even though it's not on the map. There will be interactions, and sometimes even war, depending on how events unfold! I can't say much more at the moment, you will all learn in due time.
    I think I'm about to start manically giggling and drooling from excitement.
    Read about glory and decline of the Seleucid Empire... (EB 1.1 AAR)

from Satalexton from I of the Storm from Vasiliyi

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SD1987 View Post
    tl:dr
    I mostly look at the pictures anyway as well
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Best preview yet...the example walk through was brilliant and the movie.....well been told off a few times for swearing so will say its fandabbidozy :)

Excellent work again and really interesting/informative/educational read. thank you

......heard my son say "Are we nearly there yet dad?" not sure why I'm hearing his voice again......

Just kidding.
    But seriously, I feel a little uncomfortable with having a civilization right on the edge of the map. Makes it much easier for them since they have no borders with any enemies.
    Well, they do share a border with one of the biggest empires of the era; the Mauryan Empire...

But that isn't on the map? Unless you're going to randomly spawn stacks or something?

But that isn't on the map? Unless you're going to randomly spawn stacks or something?
    Be sure that it will be something much more interesting than that! Just because something is off the map doesn't mean that we can't represent its influence on the map.

Like I said before, you will all learn how in due time!

Thank you kindly for your explanation Mithridates. I agree about the need to divulge ancient history from other parts of the world and not exclusively from a euro-centric point of view, and I look forward to seeing what the EB team comes up with to represent the interaction of Taksashila with the rest of the Mauryan empire.

Wow! That looks amazing.

Thank you very much and at least I know that you are all big fat liars for saying there would be no Mauryan faction in other threads. I'm sure that if I look back you have the wriggle room to claim you weren't lying but I think you all know what you did.

Anyway thank you very much and I look forward to playing as them as it seems you have some interesting decisions to make and to killing them.

Liars.

Thank you.

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Well, they do share a border with one of the biggest empires of the era; the Mauryan Empire...
    They ARE the Mauryan Empire, or at least a semi-autonomous region of it.
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

I have done a wallpaper for you guys:

Enjoy!

Nice image, Max! Honestly though, I don't think I'll be putting the hairy king up as my wallpaper.

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel Member Kival's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    They ARE the Mauryan Empire, or at least a semi-autonomous region of it.
    At the starting date it was not part of the Mauryan Empire, Akosha was not recognized by Takashila.

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel

This is the faction I'm now looking forward to the most. Damn fine preview. Keep up the good work gentlemen.

hah i knew it was a bull... i happen to own several brahman bulls

Very nice preview, I can't wait to play as them. Taksashila will definitely add more variety to the factions of EB.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    I mostly look at the pictures anyway as well
    Dude keep talking like that and the EB team might start making the units ugly on purpose so you'll read the history descriptions.

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Quote Originally Posted by B_Ray View Post
    Wow, I doubt anyone here is as excited as I am about this new faction! OK, there probably are people more excited than me. Thank you for the wonderful preview! Seriously considering playing Taksashila for my first campaign now. Dang, good stuff.
    Doesn't this preview sound vaguely familiar?

Quote Originally Posted by Kival View Post
    At the starting date it was not part of the Mauryan Empire, Akosha was not recognized by Takashila.
    Susima was the "legitimate" successor of his father, and both brother's territories were incorporated into the same political matrix. Both viewed themselves as the natural successors to Chandragupta, claimed the title of King of Kings and claimed the Mauryan Empire as a whole. Therefore both were the Mauryan Empire.

Dismissing the lands as not being part of the Mauryan Empire is grossly incorrect. It would be (to an extent) akin to saying Southern Ming were not a part of China because Qing controlled most of China and Southern China had distinct cultural influences from the North, and was politically separated (Notice Susima's political independence only lasted a handful of years). I would use better modern-day examples but they carry the risk of derailing the thread.

My congratulations for the vast research you have put onto the Indian research. And to the video. It is very well made.

Though now there is the question: Will the Indians get their own voice-pack?
    Last edited by Jolt; 07-18-2011 at 18:03.
    BLARGH!

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel Member Kival's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    Susima was the "legitimate" successor of his father, and both brother's territories were incorporated into the same political matrix. Both viewed themselves as the natural successors to Chandragupta, claimed the title of King of Kings and claimed the Mauryan Empire as a whole. Therefore both were the Mauryan Empire.
    Sure, I do not care who had more right to call himself the king of kings. Though I did not think, Skullhead was meaning what you're speaking about. Essentially it's important to note that at the start date Takashila with Susima was seperated from the eastern part controlled by Akosha. One could call us lucky this sucession crisis was exactly at our start date ;-).

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Quote Originally Posted by Kival View Post
    Sure, I do not care who had more right to call himself the king of kings. Though I did not think, Skullhead was meaning what you're speaking about. Essentially it's important to note that at the start date Takashila with Susima was seperated from the eastern part controlled by Akosha. One could call us lucky this sucession crisis was exactly at our start date ;-).
    That is the forcing that the EB team must do, and thus why they are not separated as Greece and Macedonia were separated. Susima couldn't declare his independence (That would a priori recognize that he couldn't exercise his sovereignty over the rest of the empire). Before that Vice-Royalty could even think of turning to foreign affairs, he would forcibly have to settle the dispute with Ashoka. He simply couldn't ignore the rest of India under the control of his younger brother and focus his ambitions elsewhere. As a Vice-Royalty of the Mauryan Empire, and its governor as a successor to the Mauryan throne, Taxila is inorexably connected to the fate of the Mauryan Empire.
    This is where EB must make some bending of those facts, so that Susima actually had enough trust by Ashoka or that Ashoka was afraid of him enough that he could remain as Vice-Roy, or some viable other solution.
    BLARGH!

Counter-Revolutionary Member BerkeleyBoi's Avatar

Oh wow this preview is awesome and the video... epic...

Great job EB Team!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast