Thread: Six down- four to go to!!: 4 faction slots left

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Six down- four to go to!!: 4 faction slots left

Knew I was missing someone:

Make that seven down and three to go.

Wondering if a wandering mod could change the title

With todays preview, we finally reach a point where more than half of the Occultus factions have been previewed (See list below).

An excellent visual representation by CanOmer at the TWC:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ebiifactionsxl10.png 
Views:	5566 
Size:	667.6 KB 
ID:	1564

Now only three faction slots are free, and no culture slots.The previewed factions in order of appearance are:

1. Pergamon

2.Mamla'ha biMassylim

3.The Boii

4.The Lugiones

5. Taksashila (Mauryan Satrapy)

6. Bosporan Kingdom(Announced but not previewed)

7. The Nabataean Kingdom or Malkûtâ Nabâta |The sheer perfidy of the EB team- if you peruse the post you will notice Nabatea's status as Nabataea (denied by team)|

Ps. not counting the Pritanoi as they already exist in EB as the Casse.

If asked to predict the remaining three factions, my choices would be in order of probability

1. A Celto-Iberian faction
    Though not yet confirmed by the EB team, based on the comprehensive way they were presented in EB, and on random comments by EB members (innuendo-Moros' 9,955 posts ), IMHO they might as well be declared.

The strongest point in their favor is that of all proto-factions represented in the original EB, they are the only one with an completely developed troop and trait list, their only competitors being the Helvetii.

2. A celto-thracian faction

3. A Syracrusan faction

Thats it, on the basis of the existing culture slots and the amount of archival information available, I cannot think of any more factions that are likely(note the emphasis on likely) to be worthy of inclusion.

Pps. I am not including pseudo-nationalist sentiments here, and would prefer that this thread be free of them.

What do you think are the most likely contenders ??

Should this be merged with the 'New Factions' thread?

Could have posted there, but just wanted to celebrate the fact that 2/3rd s of the occultus factions have been revealed and that on a more personal note my name just got referenced: check the Takashila preview(History Section)

PS. That thread is also getting a bit crowded with quite a few of the options either plain out rejected or previewed

PPS. an excellent list given by Future Filmmaker also at the TWC:

(Iberia)
    Callaeci
    Arevaci

(Cisalpine Gaul)
    Insubre

(Gaul)
    Pictones
    Nervii
    Eburones
    Treverii
    Sequani (denied by team)
    Helvetii (denied by team)
    Massalia (denied by team)

(Germanic)
    Veneti
    Cimbri
    Suiones
    Bastarnae
    Marcomanni
    Chatti
    Cherusci
    Quadi

(Baltic)
    Venedi

Nabataea (denied by team)

(Nubia)
    Aksum (denied by team)
    Kush
    Meroë

(Mauritania)
    Mauri

(Asia Minor)
    Bithynia
    Galatia (denied by team)

(Arabia)
    Minaeans
    Hadramaut
    Qedarites

(Georgia)
    Kolkhis (denied by team)
    Iberia (denied by team)

(Illyria)
    Scordisci
    Delmetae
    Ardiaei
    Taulanti
    Dardani

(Hellenic)
    Syrakousai
    Last edited by amritochates; 05-25-2012 at 06:52. Reason: factual error
    In the three years of war, necessity gave birth to invention. During those three years, we built bombs, we built rockets, we designed and built our own delivery systems. For three years, blockaded without hope of imports, we maintained engines, machines, and technical equipment. We spoke to the world through a telecommunications system engineered by local ingenuity. In three years of freedom, we had broken the technological barrier. In three years, we became the most civilized, the most technologically advanced black people on earth."
    - General Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

Default Re: Six down- four to go to!!: 4 faction slots left

At the risk of sounding like a broken record:

1. The Belgae (I would give my left leg for them to be a faction)

2. Galatia

3. Caucasian Iberia

4. Not really sure, my brain tells me Bithnyia or Tylis (Populous Romanus your charms have worked on me) but my heart would like to see the Bastarnae or the Bituriges-Cubi although the latter may be too familiar to the Arverni and Aedui to qualify as a faction.

Haven't you missed the Bosporan Kingdom out?

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brennus View Post
    2. Galatia
    With Pergamon already in-game this is extemely unlikely, Anatolia will be crowded that way with 1 to 2 rebel provinces at the start. I think empty spots elsewhere will be filled first.
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Member Member stratigos vasilios's Avatar

I'm a horrible guesser! I want to see some new Occultus sigs around so we can continue the guessing game!

We love you because you died and resurrected to save us...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    We love you Goku!

Quote Originally Posted by stratigos vasilios View Post
    I'm a horrible guesser! I want to see some new Occultus sigs around so we can continue the guessing game!

We're working on them

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Arevakoi, Ardiaioi, Syrakusai...
    Last one could be anything: script-purposed slot, Atropatene or Caucasian Iberia, any Aquitanian tribe or a migrating Belgae tribe...

4 slots

probably one or two factions near the caspian sea and one or two factions between Gaul and the lusotanii.
    that leaves 0-2 factions for the rest of the map. I'd say one of them is celtic. the other one, I don't know I don't think they would make the last one celtic aswell. that is when there is only one faction in iberia and one near the caspian...
    Syracuse is not that much off imho, let's see about that.

I'm craveing for a new occultus sig now that Takshila has been revealed :)
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

I think the announcement of Takshashila only shows we can't really take the words of the DEVs here too seriously, as many of them stated before that there wouldn't be an Indian faction due to limitations.

So far, I'm very happy with the factions that have been announced so far. I can't wait to try Pergamon or the Bosporan Greeks.

While I think Syracuse was undoubtedly a very influential Greek state in it's time, I think it's unlikely it will make it. As others have pointed out before, it would quickly get steam-rolled by either the Carthaginians or the Romans. There simply aren't enough settlement slots in Sicily to properly represent Syracuse as a faction on it's own.

I'm actually hoping for a second Numidian faction. The Mamla'ha BiMassylim (the Eastern Numidians) will have it incredibly hard to be able to withstand Carthage. However, a faction located further west in North Africa like the Mauretani or Masaesylian (West Numidians) would have a fairly good position to start up from, and good time to conquer some nearby regions before it collides with Carthage. Also, a Mauretani or Masaesylian alliance with the Massylians might help to prolong their existence.

I think there could be a good chance for the Atropatene. They could be given similar units to Parthia, as they were a Persian dynasty and were remainders of the Persian Empire that ruled independently from the Seleucids. Their state lasted until 3rd century AD, when their state were absorbed by the Parthians. It would be fun, albeit quite hard, to try and reconquer former lands of the Achaemenid Empire and to try and re-establish a new Persian Empire.

I'm guessing that the last two other factions will probably be the Celt-iberians and the Belgae, and I say that with little enthusiasm as I rarely ever play as barbarians. :p
    Last edited by hekk; 07-15-2011 at 15:03.

Haven't you missed the Bosporan Kingdom out?
    Thats what i was thinking

Yep, the Bosporians were announced but have yet to be previewed.

I hope the OP is right about a celtiberian faction because EB the game (as opposed to EB the history lesson) needs a faction around there.

I don't think Syracuse will be in, since team members have said they were historically insignificant in the timeframe. I'd quite like them since they're fun -- old school Greek military between Roman/Carthaginian/Epirote militaries -- but I don't think it'll happen. Still, with any luck I can fake them by migrating the KH using cheat codes, as I did in EB1.

I wonder if we'll get the Yuezhi, now the map has been extended east.

Fight like a meatgrinder

...1. The Belgae (I would give my left leg for them to be a faction)...
    Prepare to hop baby, I think a Belgae-ish faction is a lock.

...2. Galatia...
    ...have been ruled out as an independent faction, and mentioned as a possibility as a Bithyno-Galatian koinon but not in the first release. Interesting point here, as it suggests strongly that not all the slots will be used.

...3. Caucasian Iberia...
    Apparently they tick all the boxes, and have not been denied, so as likely as the other big candidate:

...4. Not really sure...
    And of course none of us are really sure.

I know you make some good suggestions but there has been some smart map redesign done to free up provinces for Indiia and Arabia: we know hat that meant in the case of Taksashila, so some sort of desert mob are quite likely.

My own guesses for the last four spots are a Belgic tribe, an Hispanic tribe (Keltiberian prolly) and Caucasian Iberia. I think the last spot will be left blank and either the team will run a poll or modders will be invited to complete the last faction for EB2.1.
    From Hax, Nachtmeister & Subotan

Jatte lambasts Calico Rat

Well here's my opinion for the four factions:

1-A Belgae faction. I think that this is getting pretty obvious. There's no confirmation yet but with all the hype...

2-A Celtiberian faction, just to make Lusotana nigh-impossible lol

3-I think Scythians may be possible but it may make the place too crowded with BK and Sarmatians, else may be Nabatea; I don't think we need an Ethiopian faction, Saba had already all the regional options and had Ethiopia as a Homeland region, and the culture slots are full...

4-I think they might use this slot for the Yuezhi (Just like the MTW 2 Mongols and Timurids), or they might save it for scripted events, since I think I remember them saying they took out the Seleukid breakup, anabasis, shahanshah etc. because they required a faction slot.
    Campaigns Completed:

The Claws of Destiny - A Makedonian AAR https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...Makedonian-AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Arkeolog4 View Post
    3-I think Scythians may be possible but it may make the place too crowded with BK and Sarmatians, else may be Nabatea; I don't think we need an Ethiopian faction, Saba had already all the regional options and had Ethiopia as a Homeland region, and the culture slots are full...
    I would so love a Scythio-Hellenic faction in Olbia to complement the Helleno-Scythian faction in Pantikapaion. That would be fascinating. But I don't think it really existed until a hundred years or more after the start date. :(

It looks like the Yuezhi are out -- the map didn't grow far enough to include them at the start date after all, and they've said "no emerging factions" several times.

Fight like a meatgrinder

so rather just 1-3 factions left hmmm, well my bet still is with
    1. a faction for eastern Iberia
    2. a Caucausian faction(Iberia or Atropatene)
    3. a faction between the Gauls and sweboz(so Belgae)+

I'm quite "sure" about the first two but I think no 3 could also be another arabian faction.
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Prepare to hop baby, I think a Belgae-ish faction is a lock.

...have been ruled out as an independent faction, and mentioned as a possibility as a Bithyno-Galatian koinon but not in the first release. Interesting point here, as it suggests strongly that not all the slots will be used.

Apparently they tick all the boxes, and have not been denied, so as likely as the other big candidate:

And of course none of us are really sure.

I know you make some good suggestions but there has been some smart map redesign done to free up provinces for Indiia and Arabia: we know hat that meant in the case of Taksashila, so some sort of desert mob are quite likely.

My own guesses for the last four spots are a Belgic tribe, an Hispanic tribe (Keltiberian prolly) and Caucasian Iberia. I think the last spot will be left blank and either the team will run a poll or modders will be invited to complete the last faction for EB2.1.
    It's been said before but I guess it can't hurt to say it again, not all of the factions slots will be used in the first release. We certainly won't be opening the last slot(s) to a public vote though, they will be chosen the same way the rest of the factions were, by the team.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
    ... the last slot(s) ....
    Wait wut? SLOTS? So maybe the faction list is complete?

I'm guessing there will be one more faction at least, but maybe thats it. ITS GETTING CLOSER.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
    ... We certainly won't be opening the last slot(s) to a public vote though, they will be chosen the same way the rest of the factions were, by the team.
    Well I can't argue with that, the decision making process so far has been beautifully explained and no-one can really argue with it...it was just a passing thought...

It'd a brilliant reality TV show though: EB's Next Top Modder! Skinning with the Stars! MasterBigAbChef!
    From Hax, Nachtmeister & Subotan

Jatte lambasts Calico Rat

Apparently I'm one of the few people who does not like the idea of a Georgian faction. I'm afraid they would just war with Armenia from the start and neither faction would ever grow enough to have the sort of historical impact that one of them accomplished (in the game's time frame).