Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Six down- four to go to!!: 4 faction slots left

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel Member Kival's Avatar

Default Re: Six down- four to go to!!: 4 faction slots left

Quote Originally Posted by LusitanianWolf View Post
    From EB members on the TWC

Replying to a speculating map

So I gess this is the official (?) one
    It's still the old map and insofar wrong. The provinces are not complety decided yet.

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

With the map being extended eastward to accomodate the Mauryan Satrapy it does raise the possibility of the Yuezhi returning as a faction, however I doubt this as it would require the map to extend as far east as the modern day Xinjiang Province.

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Only 3 pixels were added, we didn't accommodate the map east wards because of this faction. We could increase the map about 1.3 times in scale, so we did that. The few pixels that were left were added both in the west and East. It's not that a noticeable change really, the increase of scale however, is.

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    Only 3 pixels were added, we didn't accommodate the map east wards because of this faction. We could increase the map about 1.3 times in scale, so we did that. The few pixels that were left were added both in the west and East. It's not that a noticeable change really, the increase of scale however, is.
    so the distances we will have to cover will be bigger ? that might be problematic for those of us taking it slow and trusting the good old roads to crush the rebels and be back home in time for harvest ...

also a few conquering campaigns might be made dificult like the old trick of using the lusitani fm to besiege baikor and then having the rest of the army joining him (if you try it going with the all army they stop next to the wall but don´t besiege) or the famous epirote long spring where you take pellas and thessaly in the very 1st turn using the ellephants to break the walls

also the gaulish civil war might become a big mess with the current system you can destroy the other gaulish empire in a few turns (oh right the aedui and the arvernuoi are no longer neighbours)

Quote Originally Posted by moonburn View Post
    so the distances we will have to cover will be bigger ? that might be problematic for those of us taking it slow and trusting the good old roads to crush the rebels and be back home in time for harvest ...

also a few conquering campaigns might be made dificult like the old trick of using the lusitani fm to besiege baikor and then having the rest of the army joining him (if you try it going with the all army they stop next to the wall but don´t besiege) or the famous epirote long spring where you take pellas and thessaly in the very 1st turn using the ellephants to break the walls

also the gaulish civil war might become a big mess with the current system you can destroy the other gaulish empire in a few turns (oh right the aedui and the arvernuoi are no longer neighbours)
    Most importantly for me is that hopefully it'll mean more field battles than sieges

EB on ALX player Member ziegenpeter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyNinja View Post
    Most importantly for me is that hopefully it'll mean more field battles than sieges
    word

"A wise man once said: Never buy a game full price!"
    - Another wise man

Also, the amount of movement you get is easily modified, so just because the scale of the map is bigger, it doesn't necessarily mean that you'll be moving less distance each turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Brennus View Post
    ...1. The Belgae (I would give my left leg for them to be a faction)...
    Prepare to hop baby, I think a Belgae-ish faction is a lock.

...2. Galatia...
    ...have been ruled out as an independent faction, and mentioned as a possibility as a Bithyno-Galatian koinon but not in the first release. Interesting point here, as it suggests strongly that not all the slots will be used.

...3. Caucasian Iberia...
    Apparently they tick all the boxes, and have not been denied, so as likely as the other big candidate:

...4. Not really sure...
    And of course none of us are really sure.

I know you make some good suggestions but there has been some smart map redesign done to free up provinces for Indiia and Arabia: we know hat that meant in the case of Taksashila, so some sort of desert mob are quite likely.

My own guesses for the last four spots are a Belgic tribe, an Hispanic tribe (Keltiberian prolly) and Caucasian Iberia. I think the last spot will be left blank and either the team will run a poll or modders will be invited to complete the last faction for EB2.1.
    From Hax, Nachtmeister & Subotan

Jatte lambasts Calico Rat

Well here's my opinion for the four factions:

1-A Belgae faction. I think that this is getting pretty obvious. There's no confirmation yet but with all the hype...

2-A Celtiberian faction, just to make Lusotana nigh-impossible lol

3-I think Scythians may be possible but it may make the place too crowded with BK and Sarmatians, else may be Nabatea; I don't think we need an Ethiopian faction, Saba had already all the regional options and had Ethiopia as a Homeland region, and the culture slots are full...

4-I think they might use this slot for the Yuezhi (Just like the MTW 2 Mongols and Timurids), or they might save it for scripted events, since I think I remember them saying they took out the Seleukid breakup, anabasis, shahanshah etc. because they required a faction slot.
    Campaigns Completed:

The Claws of Destiny - A Makedonian AAR https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...Makedonian-AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Prepare to hop baby, I think a Belgae-ish faction is a lock.

...have been ruled out as an independent faction, and mentioned as a possibility as a Bithyno-Galatian koinon but not in the first release. Interesting point here, as it suggests strongly that not all the slots will be used.

Apparently they tick all the boxes, and have not been denied, so as likely as the other big candidate:

And of course none of us are really sure.

I know you make some good suggestions but there has been some smart map redesign done to free up provinces for Indiia and Arabia: we know hat that meant in the case of Taksashila, so some sort of desert mob are quite likely.

My own guesses for the last four spots are a Belgic tribe, an Hispanic tribe (Keltiberian prolly) and Caucasian Iberia. I think the last spot will be left blank and either the team will run a poll or modders will be invited to complete the last faction for EB2.1.
    It's been said before but I guess it can't hurt to say it again, not all of the factions slots will be used in the first release. We certainly won't be opening the last slot(s) to a public vote though, they will be chosen the same way the rest of the factions were, by the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkeolog4 View Post
    3-I think Scythians may be possible but it may make the place too crowded with BK and Sarmatians, else may be Nabatea; I don't think we need an Ethiopian faction, Saba had already all the regional options and had Ethiopia as a Homeland region, and the culture slots are full...
    I would so love a Scythio-Hellenic faction in Olbia to complement the Helleno-Scythian faction in Pantikapaion. That would be fascinating. But I don't think it really existed until a hundred years or more after the start date. :(

It looks like the Yuezhi are out -- the map didn't grow far enough to include them at the start date after all, and they've said "no emerging factions" several times.

Fight like a meatgrinder

so rather just 1-3 factions left hmmm, well my bet still is with
    1. a faction for eastern Iberia
    2. a Caucausian faction(Iberia or Atropatene)
    3. a faction between the Gauls and sweboz(so Belgae)+

I'm quite "sure" about the first two but I think no 3 could also be another arabian faction.
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

Apprentice Geologist Member Blxz's Avatar

How do you mod movement in M2TW? I've not been able to find the descr_char file that contains the information. Is my folder weird or is it stored in another text file?
    Completed Campaigns:
    Macedonia EB 0.81 / Saby'n EB 1.1
    Qart'Hadarst EB 1.2 / Hai EB 1.2
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria
    donated by Brennus for attention to detail.

You probably haven't unpacked your game, to do that you need to open the tools folder in the main M2TW folder and run the unpacker, remember to look at the readme as it contains some important instructions to make sure your game will work after you run the tool.

The response for a Belgic faction seems quite overwhelming, could someone direct me to a post outlining the reasoning behind their probable inclusion, possibly something on the lines of the Caucasian Iberia Post ??

Speaking of which An Caucasian Iberia or a Media Atropantene faction now seems inevitable. Can't wait to see their preview: a must for any one seeking to recreate the Achaemenid Empire.

How do you mod movement in M2TW? I've not been able to find the descr_char file that contains the information. Is my folder weird or is it stored in another text file?

You could also try this:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=178562
    In the three years of war, necessity gave birth to invention. During those three years, we built bombs, we built rockets, we designed and built our own delivery systems. For three years, blockaded without hope of imports, we maintained engines, machines, and technical equipment. We spoke to the world through a telecommunications system engineered by local ingenuity. In three years of freedom, we had broken the technological barrier. In three years, we became the most civilized, the most technologically advanced black people on earth."
    - General Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu

Quote Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
    ... the last slot(s) ....
    Wait wut? SLOTS? So maybe the faction list is complete?

I'm guessing there will be one more faction at least, but maybe thats it. ITS GETTING CLOSER.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
    ... We certainly won't be opening the last slot(s) to a public vote though, they will be chosen the same way the rest of the factions were, by the team.
    Well I can't argue with that, the decision making process so far has been beautifully explained and no-one can really argue with it...it was just a passing thought...

It'd a brilliant reality TV show though: EB's Next Top Modder! Skinning with the Stars! MasterBigAbChef!
    From Hax, Nachtmeister & Subotan

Jatte lambasts Calico Rat

Apparently I'm one of the few people who does not like the idea of a Georgian faction. I'm afraid they would just war with Armenia from the start and neither faction would ever grow enough to have the sort of historical impact that one of them accomplished (in the game's time frame).

Quote Originally Posted by amritochates View Post

Speaking of which An Caucasian Iberia or a Media Atropantene faction now seems inevitable. Can't wait to see their preview: a must for any one seeking to recreate the Achaemenid Empire.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=178562
    I've read a few other posts saying Atropatene is a lock but I'm just curious why? I confess I know very little about that region but were they active enough, and significant enough to warrant a faction slot?

A Celto-Iberian faction is a must IMO to stop the Lusotanns quickly owning the entire Spanish peninsula. The Eleutheroi just cannot stop them without respawning scripted stacks, and Carthage isn't aggressive enough in that region, at least in the early game.

I hated AI Lusotann beating the crap out of AI Rome in practically every EB 1.2 game, wherever I was playing a faction nowhere near western Europe.
    Last edited by Titus Marcellus Scato; 07-20-2011 at 14:40.

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel Member Kival's Avatar

You can not make assumptions based on the AI-Behavior of EB I for EB II. They work differently.

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel

Quote Originally Posted by Kival View Post
    You can not make assumptions based on the AI-Behavior of EB I for EB II. They work differently.
    Oh, sure, if the Eleutheroi can actually recruit troops like a faction does, that would be great! A workable alternative.

If they can't, however, then my opinion still stands. Without recruitment or auto-spawning stacks the Eleutheroi are too weak to stop any faction for long.

There are many more things that will effect how the Lusotannan will preform, their units are different, the provinces in Iberia are different, faction behaviours are different, Carthage might be more active, etc... Kival is very correct in saying you cannot base EBII performance on EB.

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by amritochates View Post
    The response for a Belgic faction seems quite overwhelming, could someone direct me to a post outlining the reasoning behind their probable inclusion, possibly something on the lines of the Caucasian Iberia Post ??
    Earlier in this thread I outlined the main reasons (I think) support the inclusion of the Belgae as a faction.

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

Being Belgian I probably am somewhat biased, but I think Belgae make sense as a faction. Although Caesar was known to be self-aggrandizing in his writings, painting his opponents as valiant or having huge numerical advantages, in the end: "Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae, propterea quod a cultu atque humanitate Provinciae longissime absunt, minimeque ad eos mercatores saepe commeant, atque ea quae ad effeminandos animos pertinent important ; proximique sunt Germanis qui trans Rhenum incolunt, quibuscum continenter bellum gerunt".

Is it true that EB 2 will have re-emerging factions? or its just not possible?

ridiculously suspicious Member TheLastDays's Avatar

I think it was discussed for some of the factions and not denied yet. So some of the factions might have a chance of reemergence.
    I hear the voice of the watchmen!

New Mafia Game: Hunt for The Fox

Ty for your reply.

I hope this feature will be implemented, i for one think its very interesting yet i understand that the EB team will choose the most accurate option.

Member Member stratigos vasilios's Avatar

I thought I read something once about re-emering factions only happening for a handful of factions. Others when their dead, stay dead. I hope a team member clears this up for us.
    We love you because you died and resurrected to save us...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    We love you Goku!

We know how it goes. EBII never specifically denied a Mauryan Satrapy. There WILL be reemerging factions.

Blog Entries

Skyracruse is my guess yeah i'm horrible at paint
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1vb.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	577.3 KB 
ID:	2994  

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast