Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Six down- four to go to!!: 4 faction slots left

Default Re: Six down- four to go to!!: 4 faction slots left

ibrahim i still think that the heterogenes culture (eastern greeks) will be merged with the western greeks giving up one free culture slot wich can be filled by axum or meroe or even god forbid the garamantines (god forbid because they would be a bigger hinderance on the karta hadast more then on the ptolemaioi)

Apprentice Geologist Member Blxz's Avatar

Would be nice to free up the faction slots but the portraits would be all messed up then. And remember that they have added the Mauryan satraph to the Eastern Greek Culture slot. Doing as you suggested would preclude that new faction from being plausible. So I think, based on that evidence alone, that this will not happen.
    Completed Campaigns:
    Macedonia EB 0.81 / Saby'n EB 1.1
    Qart'Hadarst EB 1.2 / Hai EB 1.2
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria
    donated by Brennus for attention to detail.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moonburn View Post
    ibrahim i still think that the heterogenes culture (eastern greeks) will be merged with the western greeks giving up one free culture slot wich can be filled by axum or meroe or even god forbid the garamantines (god forbid because they would be a bigger hinderance on the karta hadast more then on the ptolemaioi)
    yeah, but then you run into the problem of how to represent the former accurately: the governments are different, the buildings are, etc.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Quote Originally Posted by Blxz View Post
    And remember that they have added the Mauryan satraph to the Eastern Greek Culture slot.
    Actually, Taksashilla has been added to the Eastern culture group, not the East Greek culture group.

Terrible Tactician Member Shadowwalker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mithridates VI Eupator View Post
    Actually, Taksashilla has been added to the Eastern culture group, not the East Greek culture group.
    I take this as a (very) faint hint that I can continue to hope for a totally surprising faction decision. ;-)
    That reminds me - I remember someone from the team (Moros?) saying that there is a faction that noone ever guessed so far. Did this change by now?
    Or in other words - do all we players still neglect a faction that perhaps will be in EBII?
    Or was the faction Moros (?) spoke of the Lugiones?

(In some way I'm feeling like a child short before christmas again when it comes to EB - with the serious difference that the "Tomorrow there will be presents' time and I just can't wait any longer to see what I get!" phase lasts for a couple of years already.... )
    Finished EB Campaigns: Kart-Hadast 1.0/1.2 | Pontos 1.1 | Arche Seleukeia 1.2 | Hayasdan 1.2 | Sab'yn 1.2 | Makedonia 1.2 (Alex)
    Lost Campaigns (1.2, Alex. exe): Getai | Sab'Yn
    Ongoing campaigns (1.2): SPQR (110 BC) | Sab'yn (217 BC) | Pontos (215 BC)
    from Populus Romanus

"The state of human ethics can be summarized in two sentences: We ought to. But we don't." (Tucholsky)

considering moros is dealing with the middle east, it's probably from the region....

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

I hope it isn't arabia. I just don't like the region. That region only has like 5 provinces. I also don't like the lightly armored troops the saba have.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

The team said several times that it was Taksashila, but who believes them after that anyway? :P

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rickinator9 View Post
    I hope it isn't arabia. I just don't like the region. That region only has like 5 provinces. I also don't like the lightly armored troops the saba have.
    How do you know what units they'll have?

well, considering some of the information I have with me, It's certainly a very strong possibility. besides, Saba is underrated.

Well Nabatea confirmed as newest addition to the EB roster.

Ps. Original post amended to reflect recent developments. Also Media-Atropatene removed as probable contender in view of above.
    In the three years of war, necessity gave birth to invention. During those three years, we built bombs, we built rockets, we designed and built our own delivery systems. For three years, blockaded without hope of imports, we maintained engines, machines, and technical equipment. We spoke to the world through a telecommunications system engineered by local ingenuity. In three years of freedom, we had broken the technological barrier. In three years, we became the most civilized, the most technologically advanced black people on earth."
    - General Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu

Bump for the Ambiani or Bellovaci, the Ardiaei and the Arevaci ^^
    All in neat "empty" areas, relevant, expansionistic, each representing a different culture and afaik present in 272 BC...
    Not to mention they were the "power houses" in their respecting regions in the early-mid 3rd century BC :)

I soooooo hope for Arevaci!
    Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreek View Post
    "Dahae always ride single file to hid their numbers, these tracks are side by side. And these arrow wounds, too accurate for Dahae, only Pahlavi Zradha Shivatir are so precise..."
    <-- My "From Basileion to Arche - A Makedonian AAR" Memorial Balloon.

RABO! Member Brave Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

I think the Arevaci are a pretty good bet. The best on the list certainly.

What about the Remi? I know that by Caesar's time they were powerful but does anyone know what their stature was around 272?
    From Frontline for fixing siege towers of death
    x30 From mikepettytw for showing how to edit in game text.
    From Brennus for wit.

The question is not which Celto-Iberian faction will occupy the 3rd slot- but rather who could the remaining two be??

Especially now that the EB team have conclusively demonstrated that any faction being denied has a proportionally higher chance of being included...
    In the three years of war, necessity gave birth to invention. During those three years, we built bombs, we built rockets, we designed and built our own delivery systems. For three years, blockaded without hope of imports, we maintained engines, machines, and technical equipment. We spoke to the world through a telecommunications system engineered by local ingenuity. In three years of freedom, we had broken the technological barrier. In three years, we became the most civilized, the most technologically advanced black people on earth."

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

We can say Atropatene isn't going to be in. It would be impossible to fight against the seleucids and it would make the Hai even more difficult.

I think we will see a Baltic faction as most of the land there is still unused.

For an Iberian faction, maybe the Cantabri(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantabri) might be a good one: it was one of the last Iberian tribes to hold out against the Romans.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

We can say Atropatene isn't going to be in. It would be impossible to fight against the seleucids and it would make the Hai even more difficult.
    Yeah, although I'd like to see them (interesting Persian revival), afaik they held mountain passes and highlands, but settled to side with whichever ethnos allowed them local administrative autonomy...

I think we will see a Baltic faction as most of the land there is still unused.
    I recall the team saying how the Baltic was added (at least partially) to the Eremos region; not to mention the Lugiones are right there...

For an Iberian faction, maybe the Cantabri
    Not the most powerful around the 3rd century BC, but you never know :)

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Brave Sir Robin View Post
    What about the Remi?
    Must confess I do not know much about them in the 3rd century and also among the Belgae they are quite close (culturally speaking) to Gallia...
    Not sure, but I think they actually migrated or eventually got surrounded by incoming Belgae...
    Last edited by Arjos; 04-05-2012 at 23:33.

I think everyone seems to agree that the Arevaci are a sinch. Even the EB team won't directly deny it, therefore I absolutely agree. Arevaci = in.

As for the other two, I'll bring up two of my old favorites: Kartli, and the Scordisci (or Tylis). But a part of the Belgae seems very likely too.

Member Member stratigos vasilios's Avatar

Is there only 1 faction slot left of the 6, or 2? I can't keep track of it all!

(hopefully for Brennus's sake it's the Belgae, otherwise he'll go mad... well, madder than he already is...)
    Last edited by stratigos vasilios; 04-06-2012 at 04:18.
    We love you because you died and resurrected to save us...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    We love you Goku!

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos View Post
    Must confess I do not know much about them in the 3rd century and also among the Belgae they are quite close (culturally speaking) to Gallia...
    Not sure, but I think they actually migrated or eventually got surrounded by incoming Belgae...
    Fortunately I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Brave Sir Robin View Post
    What about the Remi? I know that by Caesar's time they were powerful but does anyone know what their stature was around 272?
    Like a wolf downwind from a carcass, Brennus smells the mention of the Belgae and comes running. During the Gallic Wars the Remi were indeed very powerful, however it was only because of Roman interference in the region. In the preceding centuries they had been the junior partner in the Suessione-Remi nation (Caesar notes that the Remi and Suessiones shared the same government, archaeology attests to this in the numismatic record). Because the Suessiones had decided to oppose Caesar he elevated the normally weaker Remi to a position of superiority, in 272BC it is likely the Suessiones were still the dominant partner of the two.

The Belgae were very similar to the Gauls (The Remi-Suessiones more so than the others) but at the same time they had some key differences. Whereas the majority of Gallic nations have a long pedigree in the region (you trace their settlements back into the Halstatt period) the Belgae were relative newcomers. Evidence suggests that unlike the Aedui, Arverni and other Gallic civitates the Belgae arrived from elsewhere in Europe at the start of the 3rd century BC, displacing the native Marnian culture (some of who may have fled to Britain as a result, thus resulting in the British Arras culture of the Parisii) in the process. A specific type of anklet worn by the women links the Belgae to the Danube and it may be the case that the chieftain Bolgios who took part in the Celtic invasions of the Balkans and Macedon was the eponymous founder of the idea of being "Belgian" as we are told he returned west after his attacks. In addition to this a study conducted in the 1950s by the eminent German archaeologists Kossack and Kuhn suggests that there were some key differences in Belgic and Gallic, as Caesar suggests in De Bello Gallico. Unlike some I am not going to suggest that the Belgae were "Germans" but rather they were certainly trans-Rhine in origin, "Germani" likely being a Gallic word for neighbour.

I personally would argue the Bellovaci would be the logical tribe to include to represent the Belgae. First of all they lived in the region Caesar calls "Belgium", a distinct region within the larger area of Belgica, the Remi-Suessiones did not. Secondly the Bellovaci, along with the Caleti, Ambiani and Atrebates appear to have formed a distinct archaeological and political unit (the aforementioned Belgium), as evidenced by a particular type of temple constructed in their territory and the tendency of these tribes to fight together against Caesar, it would also mean that the expansive Atrebates could be included as part of the Bellovaci (thus making conquest of the Pritanoi an objective for a player using the Bellovaci). The final point to briefly make is we know that the Bellovaci, by the 1st centuy BC were allies of the Aedui and were actively taking part in Gallic politics to the south.

Quote Originally Posted by stratigos vasilios View Post
    (hopefully for Brennus's sake it's the Belgae, otherwise he'll go mad... well, madder than he already is...)
    LOL! Hopefully I can get my work in the Campus Martius finished soon and be allowed to work on them (that is if they are a faction.... like the new kid at the office I am only told what I need to know), I would love the opportunity to preview them to everyone.
    Last edited by Brennus; 04-07-2012 at 06:01.

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

It's very difficult to make a guess about the Occultus faction(in Bobbin's sig).. There only seems to be a few banners here and there and as far as I know, there's only one variety(which doesn't give us too much information). We do however know that it's an animal, but not a bird
    Last edited by rickinator9; 04-08-2012 at 03:58.

Its the Nabatu faction icon.

I can see that now. Are there any unsolved occultus sigs left?

my bet is still on the arevaci and then maybe just maybe the ethiopians (now meroe or axum beats me but both have safe starting positions and with those gold mines and pachiderm cabs they can stand their own against the ptolemaioi making the campaign for the ptolemaioi funnier and more balanced wich might stop them from eating up the seulekids wich are totally surrounded by people wanting a peace of them , must be the fact that they seem fat and tasty)

also someone mentioned me the khwarziams i went to check where they where and discovered they where "part" of the parni/parthians/phalava or at least in the same territory

also a 3rd iberian faction wouldn´t be out of the equation with the illergetes seeming the best choise by far since they can impose themselfs on gallia and iberia making the campaign far more fun

also why not the bituriges they where once great they still had the potencial for greatness by taking away bits of power from the ongoing civil strife in gallia comanded by the aedui and arverni (altough i´ve read somewhere they where conected somehow to the arverni)

also the noricene could be a good call and even the tylians

skordisci with the joining of the boii seem a bit far fetched but damm their cordinau orca rulle and just that unit would make them a viable faction alone

if the team wishes to piss off the spanish and french they could create a basque faction (now that would make eb know all over the world with all the bitching that the spanish and french goverments would make )

but my great wuv would undoutably be the syrakousay the great hoplon that defends magna graecia against the karchedoi greed and the roman abuses against the poor and helpless greeks the great sea batles for the reconquering of the western mediterranean and the signing for a great pan greek western union with emporion massilia and tarentum \o

but that last one is a myth and a dream but what a sweet dream ^^

I know that which factions are in are purely based on historical research but I can't help looking at the map with a gamers eye.

I'm thrilled that my favourites Baktria and Kart-Hadast are going to have a more interesting time and I'm relieved that the Arevaci are probably going to be in but assuming there will also be a Gallic/Belgae faction I am curious about the last faction as there does not seem to anywhere else it is 'needed' on the map.

So basically my question is where else would a faction go where it would be really needed?

Personally I hope they split up Konin Hellen, add in a cheeky greek city state, or preferably something else in Britian. I know that these options have been denied by the team but who here believes a word they say .

in terms of need the ethiopian faction ofc or maybe even the eastern numidians or belgae anywhere where there is room

in terms of historical acuraccy syrakuse (+ western greeks ) or a 3rd iberian faction (there where 4 major sub groups in iberian) or even the galatians tylians and skordisci maybe a ressurgent yuhezi

in tactical terms the illyrians or the norici or some type of alpine faction like the helvetii or even the aquitani or biturige

Has atnother satrapy faction like Bactira chance?

By the way;
    Quote Originally Posted by amritochates View Post
    An excellent visual representation by Casual Tactician at the TWC:
    Attachment 1564
    Actually I made it: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=462155
    Last edited by CanOmer; 05-24-2012 at 17:49.

Actually I made it: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=462155

Edited and corrected.

My bet is on a new Iberian faction. The map is simply too empty in Iberia and this region shouldn't be easy to conquer. I'm also sure that one more Iberian tribe deserves faction status. Celtiberians?

Syracuse is a bad idea even for purely gameplay reasons, as AI-controlled Syracuse would be conquered either by the Carthaginians or the Romans within ten years in 99% of games. It would be a waste of a faction slot.
    Last edited by Cybvep; 05-27-2012 at 13:52.

except that historically syracuse was never conquered until the carthaginian threat disapeared and they had a 50 year old alliance with the romans so depending on how well the diplomacy works syracuse even being controlled by the ai as a fairly good chance to survive for a very long time

syracuse is/was one of the most populous cities in the world by 271 (being the biggest greek city in the world according to the early greeks even tough it stood behinde places like seulekeia babylon or alexandreia in population wise imho)

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast