Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Differences between "FAST FOOD" & "JUNK FOOD"

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Default Differences between "FAST FOOD" & "JUNK FOOD"

Just recently, I order a pizza to my office, and decided to eat there as dinner since I has some extra works to do. It was actually a common thing since delivery services are really nice (and free of charge for extra large seafood and cheese with sausage crust pizza that I ordered - im actually eat half, and intend to keep that other half for breakfast today).

The problem is, the person that meet with the pizza delivery guy was a senior lecturer, and while i still ate the pizza, he start lecturing me on why we should eat healthy food, and avoid "junk foods", such as pizzas. Of course, I tried to say that it was only "fast food" instead of junkg but he said that pizza breads are pre packaged and frozen, and the toppings are preserved with nitrite salts. I tried to argues that the bad effects of nitrite consumptions is negligable at pizza level, and they are water soluable (drinking will flush them quick outside the body system). But apparently, he insist that nitrite will be deposited in the protein parts of the body. (mind you, Im working at chemistry departments at university here)

ok, put aside molecular debate of preservatives, and his opinion that the best food is simple steamed rice with properly cooked stuffs accompanying. I really feel he's quite insisting that all commercial fast food chains are selling junk foods. Even when the real differences are pre-freezing things and some miniscule ammounts of preservatifes. Giving the small differences of price compared with more traditional food stalls / eat stalls at the same ammounts, and they have 24 hours delivery services. Why bother with going outside at midnight and lookin for any open stalls, when you can just reach the cellphone and speak?

And uh, who else also has habits of ordering fast food delivery when working extra at night in the office?

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

Default Re: Differences between "FAST FOOD" & "JUNK FOOD"

sorry your still eating junk food.

There's no such thing as bad or junk food. Just bad or junk diets.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

I don't feel bad after eating a pizza, that's good. Screw health-quaida extra cheese plz

The problem isn't really the preservatives, but the unnecessarily high amounts of things like calories, cholesterol, sodium, and saturated and trans fats common in commercial pizzas combined with the portion sizes. Compared with, say, steamed rice with grilled fish and other vegetables, yes, commercial pizzas are generally a far less healthy choice, especially considering the way most people eat pizza (who eats just one slice of pizza in a sitting?). Add to that the fact that most people do not seem to realize that metabolism slows with age and eat in their 40's like they did in their 20's.

As IA says, though, it's all about diet. You can eat pizza every day and be completely healthy if you balance those indulgences out in your other meals, keep your portions under control, and exercise. The problem is that the proliferation of cheap, high calorie fast food has made it much harder for people to achieve that balance. I know people who eat fast food three times a day, hit the gym at night, and wonder why they're fat.
    Last edited by PanzerJaeger; 07-28-2011 at 05:27.

Member Member stratigos vasilios's Avatar

Junk food? Or delicious food?
    We love you because you died and resurrected to save us...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    We love you Goku!

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

I recall, for my birthday last year, my mother took me clothes shopping for a gift (salvation army!), and afterward we stopped for pizza. It was a greasy bacon and roasted red pepper pizza. We also shared an order of onion rings as an appetizer. When I returned home I tried all the clothes on (I don't like to use dressing rooms), and one of the shirts fit, but was a tad too snug. The following day I tried the shirt on again and it fit much looser and rather well actually. I assmumed the pizza and onion rings and whatever salts and such that they were dressed with caused bloating and such hence making the shirt too tight. Also, such food causes me to feel somewhat ill and sluggish afterward, perhaps even the next day. Very yummy at the time, but after it has been digested and allowed to travel thru your system, the physical sensation seems to outweigh the yummines of the pizza.

Though for my birthday this year, mother and I will probably do the same!
    Silence is beautiful

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

If it tastes good spit it out, if it tastes like swallow it.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

an important note is not to waste time "talking" with certain people.....i.e...a certain lecturer by the description you give.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Fast food is food that does not take a long time, so it can be healthy, but everything in moderation is fine. Unfortunately I can't have pizza since it makes me sick, so I am a bit jealous of you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    an important note is not to waste time "talking" with certain people.....i.e...a certain lecturer by the description you give.
    well, I'm still a research worker, and "junior" lecturer, also still looking for doctorate degree... avoiding him... a senior? and could still possible to be my promotor???...

sometimes, you can't just avoid talking with it, yeah

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post
    The problem isn't really the preservatives, but the unnecessarily high amounts of things like calories, cholesterol, sodium, and saturated and trans fats common in commercial pizzas combined with the portion sizes. Compared with, say, steamed rice with grilled fish and other vegetables, yes, commercial pizzas are generally a far less healthy choice, especially considering the way most people eat pizza (who eats just one slice of pizza in a sitting?). Add to that the fact that most people do not seem to realize that metabolism slows with age and eat in their 40's like they did in their 20's.

As IA says, though, it's all about diet. You can eat pizza every day and be completely healthy if you balance those indulgences out in your other meals, keep your portions under control, and exercise. The problem is that the proliferation of cheap, high calorie fast food has made it much harder for people to achieve that balance. I know people who eat fast food three times a day, hit the gym at night, and wonder why they're fat.
    yep, fat, calories, carbohydrates... in fact steamed rice with egg-coated tofu also has this...
    I'll say I'm healthy enough, at least my lipid is under 3% and I'm not fat

Quote Originally Posted by classical_hero View Post
    Fast food is food that does not take a long time, so it can be healthy, but everything in moderation is fine. Unfortunately I can't have pizza since it makes me sick, so I am a bit jealous of you.
    yeah, that's right...

IMO no food is bad as long you exercise enough and don't wish to live to be a hundred.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Quote Originally Posted by india View Post
    IMO no food is bad as long you exercise enough and don't wish to live to be a hundred.
    Idian food until I'm a hundred, where do I sign

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Idian food until I'm a hundred, where do I sign
    If you only eat vegetarian Indian food, you probably actually will live to be a hundred easily.

When I talk of fast food though, I think USA. Nothing matches a burger with melted cheese and onions browned on a slow flame in butter.

Quote Originally Posted by india View Post
    If you only eat vegetarian Indian food, you probably actually will live to be a hundred easily.
    No.

If you only eat vegetarian Indian food, you probably actually will live to be a hundred easily
    Just stay away from the vindaloo!
    Silence is beautiful

You can pretty much eat anything if you stay clear from too many carbohydrates, sugar and glutein. That stuff will get you fat, wreck your cardio system and teeth.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Quote Originally Posted by JuJuBee View Post
    Just stay away from the vindaloo!
    No you fool a good vindaloo is pure pilgrimage, the hardships are worth it. It is the best of curry's. Some dahl and spinach with it, gawd sooooo good

Too spicy for my blood. Something mild and a yogurt/mango drink and I am all set!
    Silence is beautiful

Too spicy for my blood. Something mild and a yogurt/mango drink and I am all set!
    May I humbly suggest a lassie with ice to cool things down a bit. There are many things wrong with India including India but god they CAN cook

I do agree that they can cook! :)

I don't know the name if it, but my favorite dish is this large puffy bread (fried I assume) about the size of a pizza that comes with a dish of chic peas in a somewhat mild brownish sauce. You break off pieces of the bread and put the chic pea mixture on it. Oh, is it good!
    Silence is beautiful

I don't know the name if it, but my favorite dish is this large puffy bread (fried I assume) about the size of a pizza that comes with a dish of chic peas in a somewhat mild brownish sauce. You break off pieces of the bread and put the chic pea mixture on it. Oh, is it good!
    It's called a Bhatoora, it's made out of refined flour.
    It can, I guess, be classified as fast food.

@Fragony
    I don't know whether to take offence or feel pleased

I do agree that they can cook! :)

Called a nan

'@FragonyI don't know whether to take offence or feel pleased '

Always take offence you are bad at this
    Last edited by Fragony; 07-30-2011 at 15:10.

It's called a Bhatoora, it's made out of refined flour.
    It can, I guess, be classified as fast food.
    We weren't calling Indian food 'fast food' the topic just strayed off on a tangent. I love Indian cuisine, I would never put it in the same category of pizza or McDonalds or such. :)

Called a nan
    I have had nan before (garlic nan...mmmmmm)but the other bread was brown and puffy. Very unlike the nan I had in the restaraunt anyway. The Nan was more white and flat with just some darker marks I assume were from the pot they cooked it on.

edit: Got it!

Num, yummy!
    Last edited by A Nerd; 07-30-2011 at 16:49.
    Silence is beautiful

Blog Entries

ahh, indian food, they don't belong to fast food criteria (and their delivery is 1 hour approx or more here, instead of 30 minutes max)

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Wolf View Post
    ahh, indian food, they don't belong to fast food criteria (and their delivery is 1 hour approx or more here, instead of 30 minutes max)
    Busy buggers, even in Indonesia they are claiming their rightious throne I guess. Indian cuisine is TASTY.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Busy buggers, even in Indonesia they are claiming their rightious throne I guess. Indian cuisine is TASTY.
    well, come on, Chinese, Turkish, and Indian Cuisines is everywhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Wolf View Post
    well, come on, Chinese, Turkish, and Indian Cuisines is everywhere...
    Not here and I'm too lazy to get it right now

Donut Burger

Worlds Largest BLT

Deep Dish Pizza

All pure delish.
    Silence is beautiful

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

donut burger would be so much better with a bagel. imagine that...........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast