Thread: Thrace - An Interesting Faction

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Thrace - An Interesting Faction

We all know that Thrace will be an interesting faction to play as in Historical Rome Total War.. But in 280 B.C. Thrace was going through a chaotic time..

I have done some quick skim research on Thrace during our time period.. Just one year before our game begins Lysimachus was killed in the battle of Corupedium.. Now his Kingdom went briefly to Ptolemy II Ceraunus.. However before he was able to gain control of the kingdom he was killed when the Celts invaded..

Ok, how are we going to set this up?

First, I want to apologize for proposing that Thrace should be a "Barbarian Faction", I now realize they were a Hellenic Kingdom with many Thracian Tribes Surrounding it..

So, now on to business..

Who is the Leader of Thrace in our game?
    What is their starting position when we release beta?

Also I believe some of you have proposed this but I will bring it up again..

The Army should be composed mainly of Phalangites for heavy infantry.. lots of light skirmishers, for instance they skirmish but can also hold their own in melee.. light infantry similar to Bastarnae (even though they should have a different name than that) some warband troops.. and here is my propsal.. there were many tribes in the area so why not have Getai Spearmen etc. give a unit for each major tribe and use it for AOR.. I can add some cavalry in there as well maybe archers.. but im not a military historian (want to be) im just a guy who knows some basic stuff on each faction..

Please, give your thoughts because every faction is equally important in our mod:)

***UPDATED 1/14/11***
    Once again Thrace is a question. I read through many books and came up with a solid answer..

Lysimachus was killed in 281 BC, Ptolemy Ceraunus took over. Lysimachus' title of his Kingdom was "The Kingdom of Thrace-Macedonia" as he controlled both Kingdoms.

So Ptolemy Ceraunus is essentially the Faction Leader.
    They would own
    Pella
    Thessalonica
    Lysimachia
    Smyrna
    Seutopolis
    and some others

They would be a Hellenic Kingdom. However, what about the Thracians? Meaning the various tribes? Should we combine them with the Dacians or not? This will be one tough faction to deal with
    Last edited by ahowl11; 01-14-2012 at 21:56.

Default Re: Thrace - An Interesting Faction

Well we should make them start the game with some really and stuff, like low public order

Bastarnae wasn't light infantry. It was heavy Shock infantry, made up from the Bastarnae tribe, Germanic guys with lots of foreign influences.
    For a base of the Thracian faction, i propose this unit pack: http://rtw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/f...9&tn=7976&st=9
    Altough i can create them more detailed and propably more historical accurate. But Subrosa did a very good job tough.

Thracians are my favorit faction in vannila,mainly becouse the barbarico-civilized type of roster
    I think that Valkar is right and that we shoud use Subrosa's pack for alpha,but later I coud play around with thrace a bit....
    Also,I think we shoud give them companion cavalry.
    When the camel {S}thinks,it is time to leave the oassis!

I would be glad to help you with Thrace. Actually, Thrace was one of my favo vanilla faction, after Germania :D
    But we shouldn't give Thrace Hetairoi. The Hetairoi was a elite cavalry corpse composed of only macedonians. The Thracians must have Prodromoi, their own elite Light cavalry.
    For now:

Falxmen
    Phalanx Pikeman (Pezhetairos)
    Levy pikeman
    Light Skimishers
    Elite (Arganian) Skirmishers
    Rompaioros (Thracian Shock Infantry)
    Prodromoi (Elite Light cavalry)
    Thracian Skirmish Cavalry)
    Thracian nobles.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkar View Post
    I would be glad to help you with Thrace. Actually, Thrace was one of my favo vanilla faction, after Germania :D
    But we shouldn't give Thrace Hetairoi. The Hetairoi was a elite cavalry corpse composed of only macedonians. The Thracians must have Prodromoi, their own elite Light cavalry.
    For now:

Falxmen
    Phalanx Pikeman (Pezhetairos)
    Levy pikeman
    Light Skimishers
    Elite (Arganian) Skirmishers
    Rompaioros (Thracian Shock Infantry)
    Prodromoi (Elite Light cavalry)
    Thracian Skirmish Cavalry)
    Thracian nobles.
    Good list,maybe we coud use my thracian peltast skin?
    When the camel {S}thinks,it is time to leave the oassis!