Thread: EB Install Issues

Default EB Install Issues

Hi all, heres the scenario in a nutshell. I tried installing EB 1.2 on a clean version of RTW 1.5. At first it worked, I could access the game and I looked at the factions really quick and closed the game without actually playing. The next day it wouldn't work, and I noticed the EB icon was replaced with a blank white icon. I uninstalled then installed it again the same way as the first time. Now when I click the EB executable it just opens up RTW 1.5. I've reinstalled multiple times with the same result. When I run the install verify it gives me a blank page, and I tried the link for the other install verify u guys have and the same thing happens. Any idea what the problem is? I should also mention I'm running Vista and I tried the Vista troubleshoot you guys have but that doesn't seem to be the problem. I played the mod way back before u guys released 1.1 on this same computer and it worked like a charm. Best total war mod by far.

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

Default Re: EB Install Issues

Don't install EB in Program Files! Run it as admin while having it in this folder helps sometimes, but it is much safer to place it outside.

Concerning the shortcut:
    (from the frequent issues)
    My EB shortcut doesn't work!
    Sorry about that. A product of lacking experience with creating installers, I made a mistake when creating the shortcuts that start EB 1.2.

Use the Trivial Script to start EB instead of the start menu shortcut. You need to have installed this as part of EB 1.1.

Modify the shortcut target. Move the end quote from the end of the line to directly after RomeTW.exe and it should work (goes for both the new shortcuts in 1.2). For instance, instead of "C:\My games\RomeEB\RomeTW.exe -mod:eb -show_err -ne" it should be "C:\My games\RomeEB\RomeTW.exe" -mod:eb -show_err -ne.
    XSamatan

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

I tried it outside of program files and the same thing happened. I should mention that the original RTW file was installed in Program Files and I simply copied the folder outside of program files (in the main C:folder) and then installed EB on the copied version. Should I install the original RTW itself outside of program files as well?

As far as the trivial script goes, I installed it the first time and it worked and I didn't install it the subsequent times I installed so I'll try that later on today.

Just copy RTW, that works fine.
    If you didn't opt to install Trivial Script then edit the shortcut accordingly.

XSamatan

Just realised this might be the same problem I'm having. I'm on XP, installed direct into C:\ done everything exactly the same as before but having my computer do weird things to EB's files after a computer restart(when installed with AV off), or only installing half of them (when my AV was on)
    X3 From The Blacksmith, d'Arthez and The King for my Keltoi reproductions and dressing up.

I'm always around here lurking in the shadows; not as easy as it sounds when wearing this much shiny iron :)

Set the installer on the whitelist and/or set the EB folder as trusted if possible.

XSamatan

Yeh, then it installs and runs fine. But restarting the computer somehow deletes most of the files and creates a load of random .tmp files. You having the same problem RDF?
    X3 From The Blacksmith, d'Arthez and The King for my Keltoi reproductions and dressing up.

I'm always around here lurking in the shadows; not as easy as it sounds when wearing this much shiny iron :)

He evryone,

Ive just downloaded the Europa Barbarorum mod and installed it on my pc. I realy like the simple install program you have made for it and it makes things realy easy. But now i wanted to launch it and i get this error appearing. It says; (up on the window: EBTrivialScript Error) And in there is: Execution of Command 'RomeTW.exe -mod:eb -show_error 'failed (error 2: (and then in Dutch ''im living in Holland'': The system can't find the asked files.)

I installed RTW from SEGA and i have downloaded the Patch 1.5. for RTW (dont know if it got in place right after downloading it? But i couldnt find it anymore so i guess it went to its proper place. And after that i downloaded the EB1.1exe and the EB1.2exe trough utorrent and installed them. When installing i didnt got any issues so i realy dont know what makes is mot to launch. So if Anyone could help abit it would be great.
    Mind that im no Pc know it all so please i could use some help on this. :-)

Greets, Angus Murray

@Angus Murray

Welcome to EB!
    Please read the EB-FAQ for a first information about his mod and the technical help if you have problems again.

Concerning your problems, please create a new shortcut to Rome-TW.exe and edit the target line by adding -mod:eb -show_err -ne
    Use this to start EB.
    If you want to, you can also reinstall Trivial Script, download it from here.

Please post again if that did not solve your problem!
    XSamatan

Thanks alot XSamatan,

Ive found this screenshot guid on how to install EB.

XSamatan, thanks for your help. I installed in C: with trivial script and it works normal.

Have fun with the game!

Hey mayne, my will to play this mod has gradually been deteriorating as I've spent countless hours trying to get it to work. I've done everything in the world to get this to work but whenever I try to play the mod it just opens vanilla RTW. I'm being driven mad. I've installed RTW outside of program files, and I've installed EB into the resultant folder, but it still doesn't open EB when I click on the little "EB PLAY" icon.

Modify the shortcut target. It should be e.g. "C:\My games\RomeEB\RomeTW.exe" -mod:eb -show_err -ne. The -mod...part is important.

If that fails for you, reinstall EB, but this time select to install Trivial Script too while running the 1.1 installer.

Be sure to read the EB-FAQ.

XSamatan

Okay so I ended up entirely destroying my R:TW file and so I bought the game on Steam...Now I'm wondering if it's even possible to install mods onto Steam.

Use Steam's build-in function to clean all RTW Vanilla files (or delete the folder and re-download).

Installing EB with Steam and a general thread about installing EB.

XSamatan