Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EB II Mechanic and M2TW AI (and other stuff)

Default EB II Mechanic and M2TW AI (and other stuff)

I was unsure if I should creat a new thread, post it in the FAQ's one or necro the Stele, sorry if I did it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by "Stele #2
    In EB2 we are planning on using the Pezhetairoi as the backbone infantry for the Seleukids & Ptolemaioi, representing them as the “pikemen on field duty”. The Klerouchikoi Phalangitai will still be around and probably almost identical in stats, just slightly worse. The Klerouchikoi Phalangitai will be used to represent reserve pikemen, who unless in time of emergency are back home on their farms tilling their lands. In game terms this means that they will cost about as much as Pezhetairoi to recruit and will be free upkeep as long as they are in cities. This again to represent that they are tilling their land allotments, but should an enemy approach they will quickly arm themselves. But, wouldn’t the Seleukid & Ptolemaic players have an advantage then as they can have pretty decent line infantry garrisoned for free in almost any city? Yes, if it hadn’t been for the drawback the Klerouchikoi Phalangitai has. If the soldiers aren’t tilling their lands, they aren’t producing anything for the authorities to tax. This means the Klerouchikoi Phalangitai will have a much higher upkeep than a unit like this should have, which means if you use them in battles outside your settlements they will put a drain on your treasury. This is to represent that taxable produce isn't made and also because soldiers called into duty would receive a salary. But this unit is meant to be good garrison troops and also to join your armies in times of emergencies, like if the enemy invades and you quickly need to scramble an army or if you see your neighbour has left a settlement virtually unguarded and just need a few units quickly to bolster your numbers.
    How will AI react to that? Does it know what are the free upkeep troops and use them as guarrisons or spam and wander around with them (with terrible efect on the economy and thus needing more money script)? More than one people asked this on the stele thread but I see no answer by the team.

How many free upkeep troops would be able to harbour, lets say, a town like Pergamum, Sinope or Oxtraca at the begining of the campain? One of the things I like less in Eb is being forced to either disband or blitz in the first turns and not being able to turtle in starting province and still being able to sustein some military power.

I readed in TWC (I'm a lurker there) that the team is having problems putting the Phalanx formation to work as it should. But afaik you have been working in that since a long time ago, I know that this things take time and that you have lack of animators but wouldnt that be a crippling blow to EBII if not soluted?

And since Phalanx formation isnt in vanilla M2TW how does the AI react to phalangites? Does it charges them head on, use it as flanking troops or its possible to give a idea to it about how to use it?

And how will it use chariots?

And will normal chariots still being cavalry murders as in EB? That doesnt seem to make much sense to me, (but makes them super usefull ) unless they have Scytes on them. Or was it one of their historical uses?

Btw, in the All the Previews In One Thread... the link that says Stele #7: Making the Models leads to the same topic as Announcement and Video, about the Gaza campain, I gess isnt supposed to be so, am I wrong?
    Last edited by LusitanianWolf; 08-09-2011 at 21:03.

Default Re: EB II Mechanic and M2TW AI (and other stuff)

I readed in TWC (I'm a lurker there) that the team is having problems putting the Phalanx formation to work as it should. But afaik you have been working in that since a long time ago, I know that this things take time and that you have lack of animators but wouldnt that be a crippling blow to EBII if not soluted?
    We may need to remove their secondary weapon, otherwise they quickly drop their sarrisa and use only their swords... still it doesnt mean that they are not "working" at all, they make an efficient pikewall, but they will need careful stat editings (for now they are VERY powerful ).

And since Phalanx formation isnt in vanilla M2TW how does the AI react to phalangites? Does it charges them head on, use it as flanking troops or its possible to give a idea to it about how to use it?
    We don't have a proper battle AI yet so I can't tell, but I heard that some modders managed to make the AI avoid pikes with its cavalry, so it should avoid the phalanx as well. But with M2TW's AI you should not expect miracles.

And how will it use chariots?
    They will be rougly ther same as in EB1 : they can make effective missile platforms but you should avoid melee at all cost.

And will normal chariots still being cavalry murders as in EB? That doesnt seem to make much sense to me, (but makes them super usefull ) unless they have Scytes on them. Or was it one of their historical uses?
    I don't think so, now they die quickly when caught in melee, even against cavalry.
    Last edited by Gustave; 08-09-2011 at 21:24.

Does that mean they'll be freaking powerfull from the front but butchered when flanked (keeping formation and ignoring attacks from other sides)? Or they'll wave the sarissas around trying to hit the surrounding enemies? And how will it work while not in formation, kinda like Speutagardaz in EB?

Quote Originally Posted by LusitanianWolf View Post
    Or they'll wave the sarissas around trying to hit the surrounding enemies?
    Yes that's what happens. I wish we could import RTW's phalanx formation.

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

What about the guard button?

Quote Originally Posted by Centurio Nixalsverdrus View Post
    What about the guard button?
    it helps to keep the unit's cohesion, but it doesnt change anything to the main problem : as soon as a phalangite comes close to an enemy he switches to sword. As far as I know its a M2TW's bug and theres nothing we can do. Of course if someone knows a way to get rid of it please tell us.

so we have a cruddy phalanx?

I have a question about game mechanic too:
    In EB I had problems with occupying cities during the AI turn. It is when unsuccesfull sallies or destroyed relief armies are destroyed together with joining garisson, and then I have to deceide what to do with the town. That caused sometimes CTD after epic battles and other times I figured out that enslaving coud have been needed, or I wanted my ally to take the city to avoid border issues etc.
    For me it would be more convinient if the sieging armies did not march into the city during the computer turn, but wait outside and then the in my turn I can deceide if I march in or not. Is there a way to make this possible for MTW2 or RTW?
    There is one thing that I thougt to be useful: When a faction had only a couple cities left, and all family members are killed in a sally or relief battle, then the faction is destroyed and the player will not march into the besieged city because some rebel unist appear in it, thus the siege just continues with rebels inside. So something like this could be scripted for cases whren sally armies are wiped out, a few slave units appear in the town to prevent the player to march in during the AI turn, and then stormed easily during the player turn. As I am not a computer guy, I need some help to see if this is possible to be done and if yes, how.

Quote Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
    it helps to keep the unit's cohesion, but it doesnt change anything to the main problem : as soon as a phalangite comes close to an enemy he switches to sword. As far as I know its a M2TW's bug and theres nothing we can do. Of course if someone knows a way to get rid of it please tell us.
    No offense, but I am surprised to read this from EB team, IIRC this particular bug was resolved long ago in major M2TW mods... I am worried about EB2 AI as well, because I guess you are so used to old RTW mechanics you may not be able to make it work properly in early releases... maybe you should ask for suggestion to people who have modded M2TW for years before you: I suggest asking Point Blank, creator of the amazing Real Recruitment/Real Combat mod for Stainless Steel about everything regarding combat in M2TW, he should be the more experienced modder in this particular matter.
    Hope it helps.

EDIT: found this thread that explain the pikemen issue pretty well. Apparently, there's some room to improve the situation, but in the end people found the less annoying way to deal with the problem is to delete the secondary weapon... for example RR/RC in older versions had pikemen with secondary swords, but in more recent updates Point Blank get rid of them, so it seems it's nigh-impossible to have infantry with 2 melee weapons working properly...
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...light=pike+bug
    Last edited by Aper; 08-11-2011 at 17:21.
    Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    RESPECT
    from Ibrahim

No offense, but I am surprised to read this from EB team
    Why ? We are modding a game, not creating a new one, and unfortunately there are some limitations we have to work with..

EDIT: found this thread that explain the pikemen issue pretty well. Apparently, there's some room to improve the situation, but in the end people found the less annoying way to deal with the problem is to delete the secondary weapon... for example RR/RC in older versions had pikemen with secondary swords, but in more recent updates Point Blank get rid of them, so it seems it's nigh-impossible to have infantry with 2 melee weapons working properly...
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...light=pike+bug
    Exactly. Several EB members (including me) have already spent countless hours trying to solve it, with no success. Actually, even if you keep the secondary weapons you can manage to make them fight more or less as a phalanx, with a lot of micromanagement, but unfortunately the AI is unable to do that. The common solution is to remove them, but then the phalanx becomes very powerful and doesnt have any real weakness from flanks or rear anymore...
    Removing the swords is very easy, its just a matter of editing one line in the EDU, so after the first release people will be able to try both configurations if they want to.

Why ? We are modding a game, not creating a new one, and unfortunately there are some limitations we have to work with..
    Well, I believed the pike bug was a thing of the past, because some time ago several modders on TWC claimed to have more or less fixed it. It seems they were wrong, from what I saw today: I downloaded bugfixer and minimods of several major mods to check their EDU, and saw they almost all in the end decided the best solution was to remove the secondary weapon from pikemen... I hadn't more luck searching through threads, so I'm quite confident no one have still found how to resolve the problem. Sorry if I sounded rude.
    Last edited by Aper; 08-11-2011 at 20:38.
    RESPECT
    from Ibrahim

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Can you give every unit multiple HPs but phalanxes 1 HP and delete the secondary?
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Apprentice Geologist Member Blxz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    Can you give every unit multiple HPs but phalanxes 1 HP and delete the secondary?
    What munky said, its going to have be solved by some careful and creative stating somehow.

I also wonder if you are going to use HP to get around the lack of moddable leathality in M2TW? I mean, units with 10 or 11 HP could represent a weapon that doesn't kill on hit.
    Completed Campaigns:
    Macedonia EB 0.81 / Saby'n EB 1.1
    Qart'Hadarst EB 1.2 / Hai EB 1.2
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria
    donated by Brennus for attention to detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Blxz View Post
    What munky said, its going to have be solved by some careful and creative stating somehow.

I also wonder if you are going to use HP to get around the lack of moddable leathality in M2TW? I mean, units with 10 or 11 HP could represent a weapon that doesn't kill on hit.
    How would the HP of a unit represent anything about a weapons effectiveness? We still wouldn't be able to differentiate between weapons.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Quote Originally Posted by Aper View Post
    No offense, but I am surprised to read this from EB team, IIRC this particular bug was resolved long ago in major M2TW mods... I am worried about EB2 AI as well, because I guess you are so used to old RTW mechanics you may not be able to make it work properly in early releases... maybe you should ask for suggestion to people who have modded M2TW for years before you: I suggest asking Point Blank, creator of the amazing Real Recruitment/Real Combat mod for Stainless Steel about everything regarding combat in M2TW, he should be the more experienced modder in this particular matter.
    Hope it helps.
    Just so you know: we were some of the first modders to create new models for MTW2, back in January 2008. We helped in the beta tests of KnightErrant's first versions of the model and animations convertor (which would later be expanded to GOAT). We started modding the phalanx in March 2008, and made many animations for the phalanx which haven't been disclosed yet. We have tested the phalanx more than anyone else in these last 3 years. When many mods where just making small changes to the vanilla models and others were converting RTW models to MTW2 we made all our models brand new, each one with thousands of possible variations when rendered ingame.

I won't go further on this because I think you are smart enough to learn the lesson: get yourself well informed before you post offensive remarks.

"Death Smiles at Us All,all a Man Can Do Is Smile Back."
    Maximvs Decimvs Meridivs, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, Iberian Gladiator.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JMRC View Post
    I won't go further on this because I think you are smart enough to learn the lesson: get yourself well informed before you post offensive remarks.
    There's no need to be so touchy. He just wanted to help.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Will the free upkeep of higher tier(Klerouchikoi Phalangitai ) units be used for other factions or is it only for Ptol and Selc.
    "I should like to see any power of the world destroy this race, this small tribe of unimportant people, whose history is ended, whose wars have been fought and lost, whose structures have crumbled, whose literature is unread, whose prayers are no longer answered.... For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia!

William Saroyan, 1935.

High kings of the Mountains: A Hayasdan AAR

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Only the hellenic factions can recruit them, easy bet it will be free for only those factions (all of them, those you mentioned and the new ones)...

Surely all factions will have some kind of free upkeep troop, this is a major part of making M2 a superior game to Rome, allowing the player to form large armies very quickly - especially in defence. Just that whereas most factions will get cheap levies as free upkeep troops, the AS etc get phalangites. Seems reasonable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JMRC View Post
    Just so you know: we were some of the first modders to create new models for MTW2, back in January 2008. We helped in the beta tests of KnightErrant's first versions of the model and animations convertor (which would later be expanded to GOAT). We started modding the phalanx in March 2008, and made many animations for the phalanx which haven't been disclosed yet. We have tested the phalanx more than anyone else in these last 3 years. When many mods where just making small changes to the vanilla models and others were converting RTW models to MTW2 we made all our models brand new, each one with thousands of possible variations when rendered ingame.

What exactly you find offensive? Misinformed, I can understand, but offensive it's something different. It seems you get offended very easily man... Anyway, I have already apologized, so your "lesson" come too late, I fear.

Ah, and thanks for getting me better informed about your work, great as always (no sarcasm here).

Quote Originally Posted by Cambyses View Post
    Surely all factions will have some kind of free upkeep troop, this is a major part of making M2 a superior game to Rome, allowing the player to form large armies very quickly - especially in defence. Just that whereas most factions will get cheap levies as free upkeep troops, the AS etc get phalangites. Seems reasonable to me.
    AFAIK the problem is that the AI can't handle the free upkeep feature, so it will be an unfair advantage to the player: the AI just doesn't understand that keeping units in towns helps to save money.
    Last edited by Aper; 08-16-2011 at 01:26.
    RESPECT
    from Ibrahim

Quote Originally Posted by Aper View Post

AFAIK the problem is that the AI can't handle the free upkeep feature, so it will be an unfair advantage to the player: the AI just doesn't understand that keeping units in towns helps to save money.
    Well, that's what the money scripts are for, I gess! :P

Thanks all for answering my questions

The only solution I've seen for phalanx is a very large shield value. That way fighting to the front and blocking arrows is great, sides somewhat weaker, while the back is much more vulnerable. Of course its hard to do that and stay consistent if you are trying to make stats follow some rules but sometimes the effect trumps the consistency- at least I think so. Not sure how the EB team will do it. I can think maybe HP could be used but HP and effective against armor are difficult to balance since they don't scale as well as other stats.

I've recently played around a bit with different stats helping test some mods and it can be interesting results. IE- 1 HP unit vs 2 HP is very stack difference and makes the rest of the states very secondary. However 2 to 3 HP or more improves that alot but does still make balancing difficult as to make the battles not take forever it requires some large offensive stats and is basically a huge amount of work since it starts to make armor and some other things relatively less important. So to model skirmishers without much armor or a shield requires 4 HP while high armor elites with high defense skill and a shield might get 3 HP and then the skirmishers don't die to some things so quickly but get them into melee with that elite unit and even with much lower stats they do a bit too well just because of the 1 extra HP.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

I could see the shield stuff but the main issue is attacking from behind because men in RTW/M2 engine just kinda turn and then the shield value applies and poos all over the AP trait. Of course we haven't really seen the phalanx yet (Macedon Preview Plz?) so its too early to judge. Is it not possible to just increase the poke animation fast enough that people get poked away like in RTW?
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    The only solution I've seen for phalanx is a very large shield value. That way fighting to the front and blocking arrows is great, sides somewhat weaker, while the back is much more vulnerable.
    This could work if they wouldn't turn to face the enemy even if engaged, not to mention the switch to secondary weapons...
    Maybe a solution is to have the AI with phalanxes in guard mode, and the player should avoid exploiting that XD
    Last edited by Arjos; 08-16-2011 at 15:09.

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos View Post
    Maybe a solution is to have the AI with phalanxes in guard mode, and the player should avoid exploiting that XD
    I always leave my phalanxes in guard mode since they just behave to odd if you let them loose. That said I'm an old guard-moder anyway hehe. I would definitely welcome the AI using guard mode.

Apprentice Geologist Member Blxz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Foot View Post
    How would the HP of a unit represent anything about a weapons effectiveness? We still wouldn't be able to differentiate between weapons.

Foot
    Well aware of that. But having slower battles trumps not being able to show the differences in weapon leathality; provided you haven't found another way around it. Also, you could use different attack values in an effort to represent the lethality of particularly lethal weapons. But hey, I was just throwing it out there. I know its no where near ideal. Still eager to know how you will work around this.

Want some game mechanics stele/previews !!!
    Completed Campaigns:
    Macedonia EB 0.81 / Saby'n EB 1.1
    Qart'Hadarst EB 1.2 / Hai EB 1.2
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria
    donated by Brennus for attention to detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Centurio Nixalsverdrus View Post
    I always leave my phalanxes in guard mode since they just behave to odd if you let them loose. That said I'm an old guard-moder anyway hehe. I would definitely welcome the AI using guard mode.
    They are in guard mode by default, so the AI will use it.

We'll probably remove the swords an give a very low attack value to the spears (1 or 2). Many mods did that, third age TW for exemple. It's actually not so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    Is it not possible to just increase the poke animation fast enough that people get poked away like in RTW?
    Pokepokepokepokepokepokepokepokepokepokepoke...... it's a poke phalanx! ;)

They are in guard mode by default, so the AI will use it.

We'll probably remove the swords an give a very low attack value to the spears (1 or 2). Many mods did that, third age TW for exemple. It's actually not so bad.
    The axes as secondary were very useful, pitty to lose them :P

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos View Post
    The axes as secondary were very useful, pitty to lose them :P
    Yes, that is a problem. Phalanxes will be even less useful in flanking maneuvers and in towns. But in a way it's good, getting away from town battles is good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast