Thread: Faerun Total War - mod idea

Aktacy Bei Member Eastside Character's Avatar

Talking Faerun Total War - mod idea

As a long time Baldur's Gate saga fan, I'm wondering about making a mod based in the Forgotten Realms universe in Faerun. I would need some help with it ofcourse, but myself I can mod many of the features.

The basic idea for such a mod would be to include such factions as: Amn, Tethyr, Cormyr, Calimshan, some Sword Coast factions, some elf and orc/goblin factions. The idea I have is not to make a great many of them, rather to have them diverse enough to present different gameplay.

The work with modding human kingdoms would be easy, as most of the current game models for units can be adapted for human forces. The other races would require more work, and for that, involvement of people who can mod new unit models, is essential.

The world of Fearun is similar to the medieval Old World, with the most pronounced difference being the use of magic. For the battles I think it would be best not to include any magic using units, and rather have mages or wizards as priest/merchant campaign map characters. In my idea any of the 'magic' would be executed on the campaign level, and the only impact on battles would be if generals possesed some magic artifacts adding to their 'power' in battle. Eg. Ankheg Armour would increase survivability, Shroud of Protection would decrease chances of being assassinated etc. etc.

Any opinions about the idea please? Anyone interested to join me making this mod?

Default Re: Faerun Total War - mod idea

Hello everyone who is visiting this topic!

I can see there is no immediate support for this mod idea. Still, I feel interested to try to develope it on my own.

At the moment I'm focusing on (1) researching possible factions, general ideas about the (2) time period and (3) M2TW features in relation to faerun's environment and events.

The map in the link below shows the area that I will try to include in this mod. More or less the whole on Faerun, but some of the eastern regions might not be included as the bulk of factions seems to be more west oriented'

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__..._political.jpg

/ 1 / POSSIBLE FACTIONS

There are so many larger and lesser factions in the faerun that this mod will only try to depict some of the most prominent of them. There can ofcourse be more factions later if the mod keeps developing.

- Amn / Kingdom of Amn
    - Tethyr / Kingdom of Tethyr
    - Cormyr / Kingdom of Cormyr
    - Sembia / Kingdom of Sembia
    - Calimshan / Empire of Calimshan
    - Lord's Alliance: Baldur's Gate / Waterdeep / Neverwinter
    - Luskan / The Luskanites
    - Zentharim / The Zentharim
    - Thay / Red Mages of Thay
    - Many-Arrows / Kingdom of Many-Arrows
    - Uthgardt / Beast Totem Tribes
    - Ruathym / Kingdom of Ruathym
    - Halruaa / Kingdom of Halruaa
    - Netheril / Empire of Netheril
    - Great Rift
    - Aglarond / Kingdom of Aglarond
    - Mulhorand / Empire of Mulhorand
    - Rashemen / Kingdom of Rashemen
    - Evil Dieties / Chaos Estelar
    - Good Dieties / Light Estelar

( + more possibilities to be added later )

/ 2 / TIME PERIOD

I'm thinking about setting the start date in the early or middle 1300s before the time of troubles span 300 turns max.

/ 3 / M2TW FEATURES vs. FAERUN's LORE

Mongol Invasion - "Godswar" of the Time of Troubles

The basic concept of the time of troubles is that the immortal dieties of the Faerun's pantheon, were sent to the physical plain of existence (Faerun) as mortal avatars to recover an artifact called The Tablets of Fate. The artifact was stolen by two evil dieties Bane and Myrkul from the overdiety Lord Ao, as a result the big guy dispatched his minor dieties as mortal avatars to recover it.

The Mongol Invasion feature can be adapted for the time of troubles emergance of the forces of dieties. The evil dieties would be the mongols, while the good ones would have the papal faction - to also spread their influence among the human kingdoms. For those fighting for the good, the supreme diety Lord Ao (Pope) will grant favours. The good dieties homeland would be secured from the evil dieties by means of making the latter unable to have ships. The good dieties would only control the major bases of fighting orders, such as those following Helm, Torm or Tempus. The evil dieties would only control headquarters of the fighting orders following Talos, prior to the 'invasion'. The evil side would be mostly represented by the followers of Bane, Myrkul, Bhaal or Talos. There would be many more dieties included as 'cardinals' or generals/faction leaders.

(... edit - faction list updated )
    Last edited by Eastside Character; 08-19-2011 at 17:59.

Smile Re: Faerun Total War - mod idea

Hi, I guess this forum is dead. If anyone is viewing this topic, FYI this mod is being developed on twcenter forum which is much much better place for developing mods than this here.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=476733

It's really a pitty - I used to think that the Org is good for modding community but here I got no replies and at twcenter I got a team of supporters and progression. Shame it can't be developing here.