Thread: Panic!!

Default Panic!!

Hello everyone,

After over a year of not touching EB i could not resist anymore.
    As such i installed everything plus Alex and when i try to change my shortcut target to "D:\Rome - Total War\RomeTW-ALX.exe" -mod:eb -show_err -nm -noalexander" it keeps saying that path is not valid....but it is.
    Running Win 7 btw...

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

V.
    "Deep in Iberia there is a tribe that doesn't rule itself, nor allows anyone to rule it" - Gaius Julius Caesar.

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

Default Re: Panic!!

Thank you XSamatan and sorry for such a late reply.

I did install everything correctly and used the minimod.

I did manage to get it working, i believe normally despite a few CTD's ...mostly post-battle ctds... but the funny thing is.... sometimes i am able to start EB...and sometimes i cannot.

As i have no idea why .... i am just glad that sometimes it works....while i wait for EBII :P

L.
    "Deep in Iberia there is a tribe that doesn't rule itself, nor allows anyone to rule it" - Gaius Julius Caesar.

Apprentice Geologist Member Blxz's Avatar

Just checking with your CTD's, do you perform the multi-core system fix every time you run the game? (provided you are running a multicore machine of course)
    Completed Campaigns:
    Macedonia EB 0.81 / Saby'n EB 1.1
    Qart'Hadarst EB 1.2 / Hai EB 1.2
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria
    donated by Brennus for attention to detail.

Well BLxz ....not really. To be honest not even sure about what you're talking about.

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

Please check the frequent issues for technical problems, it has many good hints in it.

XSamatan

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

Apprentice Geologist Member Blxz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitani View Post
    Well BLxz ....not really. To be honest not even sure about what you're talking about.
    Ok, first question. Does your computer have more than 1 processor core? For example, dual-core? Quadcore, 8-core? Hell if they have made them it could be 16-core.... Does it have any of those?

If it does then there is a possibility that a large number of crashes after battles especially but also during other times when the game has trouble working on more than 1 core.

If that is the case then what you need to do is to start the game to the main menu: 'New Game'; 'Continue Game'; etc.

Then alt-tab out and ctrl-alt-del to bring up your task manager. From there go to 'processes' tab. And find romeTW.exe (or something, should be near the top of the list)

Then right click it and go to 'set affinity'.

Then set the affinity as a single core then click ok. Return to game and play blissfully.

EDIT: You will need to do this every time you start the game. I know of no way to save set affinities.(/EDIT)

As a note, I try and use a core other than the first one in the belief that any background programs might be using the first core by default, but thats pure speculation. Also, keep in mind this WILL limit your machine to only the strength of a single core so the game may be more sluggish than normal. I find that I need to turn campaign tree shadows off for a perfect experience. Also I only use large unit sizes so I can still run battles at max speed 3x even when there are 40+ units on the battle map. Up to you of course, but keep it in mind.

Does that answer your question?
    Last edited by Blxz; 08-20-2011 at 03:12.
    Completed Campaigns:
    Macedonia EB 0.81 / Saby'n EB 1.1
    Qart'Hadarst EB 1.2 / Hai EB 1.2
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria
    donated by Brennus for attention to detail.