Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Campaign Description

Default Re: Campaign Description

Quote Originally Posted by Lord President of Gallifrey View Post
    Well you can cut out the strategy part or use the shorter one. It is up to you, I would personally cut out the Strategy to have 1 section in depth

And I'm not sure I understand you for the other part. If you mean the Campaign descriptions, look at this spoiler:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Do the campaign descriptions end up the same, or are they the same in the original game. If its the latter, then our descriptions will be an improvement. If its the former, then we're in trouble. Screenshots would explain this problem.
    Sorry, but I don´t get what you mean here.
    If you mean those Historic Events popups, then we refine that system independently later.
    Well, I just meant we can´t use it for the strategy part, as I originally hoped.
    If I have to stop you and your brony's from destroying humanity I shall. Even if it means transforming into my alter ego, Rassilon.
    Pff. Destroying humanity.

Member Member Lord President of Gallifrey's Avatar
    The High Council of the Timelords, Citadel of the Time Lords, Gallifrey, Constellation of Kasterborus.

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    Sorry, but I don´t get what you mean here.

Well, I just meant we can´t use it for the strategy part, as I originally hoped.
    If the campaign descriptions work (even if they need to be shortened), then we are fine.

The Historic Events can be changed separately.

Pff. Destroying humanity.
    Indeed. My race would have destroyed all of creation more thoroughly than the Daleks if not for the Doctor.

Blog Entries

Are the amount of words in the description hardcoded? just asking

Quote Originally Posted by Pharoah View Post
    Are the amount of words in the description hardcoded? just asking
    No, but if there are too many words it becomes very troublesome to read.

The High Council of the Timelords, Citadel of the Time Lords, Gallifrey, Constellation of Kasterborus.

No, but if there are too many words it becomes very troublesome to read.
    Is it possible to split it into paragraphs?

Is it possible to split it into paragraphs?
    Yes. But that would make it very very long.

Yes. But that would make it very very long.
    I say the increased readability outweigh the increased length

It is up to you though

I say the increased readability outweigh the increased length

It is up to you though
    We are going to share the files in the next few days. The change itself is copy & paste, and I could explain it to you, then you could see for yourself.

The Campaign Description for the Gallic Tribes. I think I need to add some more Gallic history, as i have much more on their customs

Mortal men fear the time when the Gods will forsake them. This is why you fight against all odds, live a survivor’s life, and die for your beliefs if necessary. Now, prophecies tell of a war to decide the future of all that exists. Whatever happens, there is only one course of action you can take.

The Gallic Tribes represents the many independent tribes in Gaul. They fought against each other, only uniting as confederacies if faced with a powerful enemy or non-Gallic threat. One of the earliest confederations that occurred was a regional power.

The Celtic people settled in southern Gaul from before 600 BC. Their tribes would become known as the Keltoi by the Greeks and Gauls by the Romans. By 400 BC, the Celts occupied areas across Iberia, Britain, central Europe, and northern Italy. The Celts also moved into Thrace and even Asia Minor, to become known as the Galatians. This marked the high point in the Celtic culture, as they would soon be assimilated by other more powerful cultures.

The Gallic tribes encountered the Romans in about 390 BC, when the Romans declared war against the Senones, who threatened an Italian city. At the infamous Battle of Allia, the Romans were crushed, and Roma was sacked. Later on though, the Romans would decisively defeat the Gallic Tribes who opposed their dominance in central Italy.

The Gallic tribes were more barbaric than the Romans to the south, yet more civilised than the Germanic Tribes to the east. The Gallic Tribes did not have a set pantheon of Gods, as there would be minor differences for each tribe.

In society, people who were involved in religion or warfare would have a high position. The King would rule them all, although the leader of a confederation would have to obey certain rules. The Gallic tribes also interacted with various other cultures, leading to three sub cultures in their overall culture.

The first subculture was the Belgae, who were the fiercest and most savage Gallic tribes. They occupied northern Gaul. This distance from the Romans led to them being less civilised than the southern Gallic Tribes. They were capable of fielding large, powerful armies, and included tribes such as the Nervii, and the Belgae.

Gallic Tribes further south were known as the Celtae, or Gauls. They were separated from the Belgae by the rivers Marne and Seine. They included tribes such as the Aedui, and Averni. The Aquitani were the tribes who lived furthest south, separated by the river Garonne. While the southern Gallic tribes were more civilised, Gauls were slightly civilised. Most of the tribes had some centralization as they used Hill Forts for protection or even as settlements.

Militarily, the Gallic tribes had spearmen and swordsmen as infantry. The equipment between the ranks of swordsmen or spearmen differed greatly. The nobility had helmets, chainmail, wooden shields, and an iron long sword. The poorer warriors would be undisciplined, and had a wooden shield, a spear or a sword. Cavalry was also very effective as they used a Celtic saddle. The Gallic were equipped with an oval shield, chainmail, a spear, and long sword.

The warriors were organised into a warband, which was led by the chief of the men. This unit would comprise of all classes of men in battle, but only the rich would go on small-scale raids. In battle, bravery was very important, as some soldiers would try to show off with their spiked hair, impressive musculature, and iron long swords. The latter would be used to hack enemies to pieces. This meant that warriors were not in very tight formation, but spearmen fought in a denser spear wall formation, which may have been a phalanx. Tactics such as flanking were used, but charging at the enemy to break them was the main strategy. Skirmishing tactics and the scorched earth policy would occasionally be used. In a siege, the Gauls would drive the enemy of the walls while approaching the wall using a testudo-like formation, and undermine the wall.

The omens are terrible for they do not tell whether your tribes survive or die out. It seems you destiny is truly in your hands. The Gods have set you the ultimate challenge, and you must not lose their favour. Let your all-powerful deities realise that they set the challenge to the mightiest of mighty warriors!

Campaign Description for the Britannic Tribes

Restraint has never been a word to describe your tribes. Bravery, sacrifice, and power are the things you represent. So why have your tribes restrained yourself to the island you live on? While you fight against each other, one foreign tribe is rising above all the others, including you.

The Britannic Tribes represents the many independent and warring tribes in the British Isles. Alliances between the different groups were rare, and would only be done in the most decisive conflicts. Despite this, some of the larger tribes were actually made up of smaller ones.

The Britons are descended from the Celtic people, who originated in central Europe. Before the Iron Age, some Celtic tribes migrated to Britain. There, they developed many new technologies and processes. However, despite technological advancement, the Britons still lived in small, decentralised villages. Centralisation began to emerge with the creation of the Hill Fort, but they were not used for actual settlements until about 100 BC.

One of the most powerful tribes was the Catuvellauni. Their territory was around the River Thames, but grew until it occupied much of South-Eastern England. Based off their historical record, they seem to have been one of the more rebellious and fierce tribes. There were also other tribes such as the Iceni and the Trinovantes. They were less warlike than the Catuvellauni, but were capable of fighting for their freedom. The Britannic Tribes also occupied modern-day Wales, Scotland, and Ireland. There were differences between these tribes and those that occupied modern-day England. For example, the Caledonian people resembled the Germanic people.

Culturally, the Britons were similar to the Gauls as many coastal British tribes were descended from the Belgae area of Gaul. The Britons were also very good metalworkers, creating Torcs and other types of jewellery out of metals ranging from copper to gold. Another valuable item that was also used as decoration was a Human head.

The Britons domesticated animals but also hunted the wilder ones. However, it was not lawful to eat a hare, chicken, or goose. It was lawful for a man to have several wives. Women were surprisingly more represented in these societies as they were expected to defend the household if necessary, and could even be leaders. There were also female goddesses, but not every tribe would have the same gods.

Militarily, the Britannic tribes had spearmen and swordsmen as infantry. The equipment between the ranks of swordsmen or spearmen differed greatly. The nobility had helmets, chainmail, wooden shields, and an iron long sword. The poorer warriors would be undisciplined, and had a wooden shield, a spear or a sword. Men did use body paint and hair gel as a form of intimidation. Cavalry was also very effective as they used a Celtic saddle. They were also equipped with an oval shield, chainmail, a spear, and long sword. The Britannic Tribes also seem to have used chariots for battle, in hit and run attacks. The chariots would break up the enemy, while the warriors engaged the disorientated enemy forces. The chariots would then transport warriors to and from the battle.

The warriors were organised into a warband, which was led by the chief of the men. This unit would comprise of all classes of men in battle, but only the rich would go on small-scale raids. In battle, bravery was very important, as some warriors would try to show off with their spiked hair, impressive musculature, and iron long swords. The latter would be used to hack enemies to pieces. This meant that warriors could not fight in a tight formation. Tactics such as flanking were used, but charging at the enemy to break them was the main strategy. However, the Britons could feign retreats, and had a reserve system. They also used terrain to their advantage.

The power struggle between your tribes may prove to be the end of your culture. With every passing moment, you may find yourself too late in order to stop malevolent forces that approach you. This is the moment when you gain infinity, or die as true warriors!
    Last edited by Lord President of Gallifrey; 10-09-2011 at 17:05.

Keep it up Flanker!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12