Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Game of thrones mod

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Default UPDATE March 17th

... and the Tyrells the easiest
    I hereby officially eat my words

I've been trying out the Tyrells for the last couple of days, and the Greyjoys have been doing what they have never done when I've played other factions - namely giving the Tyrells their almost undivided attention! It has taken a long while to secure the coasts, and keep boats afloat, and finally start developing those coastal provinces that keep getting trashed. It's certainly been a fun time. It took two attempts to capture King's Landing from the rebels, which didn't do my heir's personality any good. And the civil war didn't help, that took another couple of turns to quell.

All I can say is thank the Seven for the Shield Islands and the Redwyne Fleet - they have really played their proper role in this campaign. It has been hard fighting back against the Ironborn as they just jump on their ships and land somewhere else, whilst my land forces are trudging through the mountains trying to catch them.

Anyway, I finally managed to build enough dromons to keep them out, and slowly ground down their fleet, and now I have my Hand sitting on Pyke, with a big stack of mercenaries (yeah, it was the only way to win the civil war when my 16 year old prince rebelled against me as his first adult act...)

I was very nicely allied to everyone but the Greyjoys when the Baratheons of Storm's End invaded, and all our mutual allies abandoned my cause. Then the Lannisters came in the other side, and all the rest of my allies sided with them... however, the Lannister army was reduced to single figures by the time it returned home

There's been some good battles against very unfavourable odds, and I'm pleased to say the recent changes to border info and the new maps are working out well. I still have a few battle maps that don't have 'winter' pre-battle images (and winter does come quite often...) but apart from that I think I'm happy to make the installer now. So, by the end of next week there should be the long-awaited beta release.

Happy St Patrick's Day
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Member thankful for this post:

Member Member dimitrios the samian's Avatar

Default Re: UPDATE March 17th

Sounds like you had a great Campaign their on that one macsen .....
    Good to know it threw up these unexpected twists & turns
    Looking forward to the beta , winter is approaching down under
    Last edited by dimitrios the samian; 03-18-2017 at 08:13.

Yeah, winter is coming And so is the installer for the beta release - uploading to my Google Drive right now.

I've played a few turns of the Stark campaign on a re-installed copy, so it seems to be okay, though I did forget to include the GameEnd sounds. I'll put those up in a separate zip rather than remake the installer now...

I've also given the Lannisters bit of a play test as well... and that was tough, because this time the Tyrells allied to the Greyjoys and they were both having a go: I think it's the first ever MTW campaign I've played when my empire has been smaller than it started out after 30-40 turns!!! And I know where all the goodies are buried ...

The last few tweaks before making the installer were to set the starting 'kings' VnVs to make them sort of appropriate; added another unit for rebels only; tweaked some of the in-game text messages for more flavour (eg you no longer have 'civil wars' but 'bannermen in revolt' and the like...); streamlined some of the tech-tree (now both spies and assassins come from the brothel line, and the tavern has been disabled).

And here's the link:

Game of Thrones BETA

EDIT: go to post 86 of this thread for the latest version

As usual, make a fresh, clean copy of MTW with VI, v2.01 and point the installer at the main directory.

Post any feedback or cries for help here .... enjoy
    Last edited by macsen rufus; 09-29-2020 at 19:31.

Discussion forum thread

Howdy mac sen ,, well done in this latest release , but i must mention its locked and requires permission for downloading , cheers.

Sorted - link is now public ..... don't know why it didn't go public straight away, it usually does

As promised, here is the zip file for the GameEnd sounds

Just unpack it into the main directory, or if you'd rather do it manually, drop it into a new folder, drill down and copy the AGOT folder into /Sounds/GameEnd/ This should contain 18 wavs if all is well.
    Last edited by macsen rufus; 03-21-2017 at 19:27.

Discussion forum thread

Members thankful for this post (2):

wow !!
    I'm surprised , nobody has found the time to leave a few comments/words on his latest work this beta .
    Anyway , what is really poor is non of you even gave a single "tick" of thanks to acknowledge macsen for another massive contribution to this game .
    f $#@*g appaling .
    Last edited by dimitrios the samian; 03-29-2017 at 04:12.

Axalon 

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: Game of thrones mod

I already have a request into the admins for some form of advertising medium other than the Front Page (which is now bypassed) to get the word out. Haven't had time to play the mod yet.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    I already have a request into the admins for some form of advertising medium other than the Front Page (which is now bypassed) to get the word out. Haven't had time to play the mod yet.
    Ummm... Too little, too late?

That is the (general) feeling I am getting here... Drone, you do get points for trying at least. All the same, where were you or the Org-staff (and administration in general) on this back in 2010? ...Or 2011? ...2012? ...2013? ...2014? ...2015? ...2016? ...At least I have released (new and updated) MTW-stuff somehow every year since 2011. Nobody (in staff) was bothering doing diddly then - not for any of my work, or for any MTW-work for that matter. That's a fact. While it is obvious that this site have thus far clearly benefited from all that work all the same - a little actual support from you guys (and the site) would probably be both appreciated and advantageous somehow (for all).

Just saying...

- A
    --------------
    And yes, I totally welcome Mac's work and project here. That too... And, yes the supposed MTW-"community"
    (of lurkers essentially) does not impress me much either, with their typical apathy or inability to express any
    recognition/support for work done - and that they still use... etc. etc. All that too...
    Last edited by Axalon; 03-31-2017 at 23:00. Reason: Grammar...

Loving the heck out of what I've seen so far, Macsen Rufus. Truly, your hard work is much appreciated and deserves all the publicity and attention the Org can give (along with that of many other talented modders of good ol' MTW). I salute you, sir. Looking forward.

Thanks, Cyprian2

There will be more improvements with v1.0 in due course. Feel free to share any AARs or other ideas you may have...

Discussion forum thread

Hello, guys! As usual, I've been very busy at work. Sorry if my inactivity may have been interpreted as a sign of not caring enough. I care enough to write these lines. I appreciate all the hard work you have been doing Mac and dimitrios and I look forward to playing the 1.0 version of your mods.

Regards

UPDATE 18 May

I'm close to a v1.0 release now - after some intense play-testing

Major changes:

• added Moat Cailin as a separate province
    • slight border changes around Riverrun to remove sea access
    • front-end graphics added
    • some troop recruitment province errors corrected
    • some 'rebel faction' tweaks
    • a couple of economy tweaks

I had a torrid time completing my latest Baratheons of Storm's End campaign. Although I had massive land armies, I had let the Greyjoys run away with their naval development, with big fleets in virtually all sea areas. The Ironborn ships are pretty tough, and although I got the 60% win quite easily, once the Greyjoys turned on me I had massive loyalty problems in the Green Lands, and certain provinces were rebelling every single year because I couldn't maintain big enough garrisons - Tarth, Estermont, Sunspear, Dragonstone, Claw Isle especially. I ended up with a number of generals with very good defender stats and virtues

The islands were a real pain, as I couldn't ship re-inforcements across, and could only train one unit at a time, whilst the rebel armies just got bigger when I did. Sunspear was sweet though - a desert river defence, set up for the defenders. It's a bitch to attack, but once you hold it, you have to be very unlucky or very stupid to lose it again.

It was a long slow grind in the end, and it needed lots of agents to undermine the Greyjoys, destroy their economy, and the occasional slip in their naval screens to make any headway. In the end I managed to trap the Iron King and wipe out the whole family which ended the faction and all the ships disappeared. Then it was a simple matter to crush the remaining re-emerged factions (Stark, Lannister and Arryn all came back).

That seems to be an essential rule in this mod - you need to get on top of the Greyjoys early. Not least because Pyke is the only province where you can get maximum tech on royal units.

I'm giving the Starks another run through now (just to test out the impact of Moat Cailin on strategy, of course). I think they're still my favourite faction, though the early years do see a lot of hassle from guess who with all the ships....

Discussion forum thread

Quote Originally Posted by macsen rufus View Post
    UPDATE 18 MayI'm close to a v1.0 release now - after some intense play-testing ..
    Awesome news macsen ..... & great to hear yr playtesting your own creation !
    cheers mate , looking forward to rumbling on V1 this winter down under .

I'm seriously considering doing a few dedicated castle maps, if I can get them to work... the obvious ones being Moat Cailin, The Eyrie, The Twins and Harrenhal.

They'll probably be fixed in size, so regardless of the castle 'level' on the stratmap, the same battle map will be called. Might also consider Dragonstone and the Red Keep for specials, but some are just too far beyond the mechanics to do justice to - like Pyke and Sunspear.

Edit to add: G R R Martin was very good at imagining castles that won't work in MTW mechanics ...
    Last edited by macsen rufus; 05-29-2017 at 02:03.

Discussion forum thread

Default v1.0 NOW AVAILABLE TO DOWNLOAD

Get it here

Discussion forum thread

Default v1.1 UPGRADE PATCH AVAILABLE TO DOWNLOAD

MTW A Game of Thrones v1.1 Upgrade Patch

REQUIRES a full v1.0 Game of Thrones mod install

Direct the installer to your exisitng AGOT directory to install..

Any saved games will not be compatible with the upgrade, so please complete any campaigns you wish to finish before installing the patch.

Upgrade notes:

* 60+ new heroes added
    * more built up starting position
    * 'royal' families tweaked for correct ages of heirs etc
    * 2 new units added
    * cosmetic changes to some icons, names, descriptions etc for more immersive experience
    * plus lots of stuff 'under the hood' that you won't even notice...

Macsen Rufus
    17 October 2017

Get it here

Discussion forum thread

Default Re: v1.1 UPGRADE PATCH AVAILABLE TO DOWNLOAD

Great work macsen ..
    I know we will ge many many hrs of enjoyment out of this mod also .
    Cheers

Found a bug, but the fix is in: v1.1a can be applied to a v1.0 or v1.1 install

Discussion forum thread

drone 

Works continues towards v1.2

Meanwhile, I found another wee bug which won't affect many campaigns but the fix is in anway:

In AGot// Loc/Eng/Names.txt

INSERT:

["RoundShieldSpearmen_Singular"] {"Spearman"}
    ["RoundShieldSpearmen_Plural"] {"Spearmen"}
    and // Loc/Eng/Descriptions.txt

INSERT:

["RoundShieldSpearmen_desc"]
    {"Spearmen are useful in almost any army, particularly against cavalry and, unlike other troop types, the first two ranks can fight thanks to their spears. They aren't likely to stand for long against professional men-at-arms, but they can give cavalry a nasty shock as long as they hold formation."}
    As to where to put the inserts, just open up the relevant files and use your common sense

The error should only show up on Greyjoy armies/training screen, maybe some rebel stacks. It won't break the game, but the fix will stop those annoying "!!desc not found"" and "!!name not found" messages. I'm afraid I forgot I was using the RoundShieldSpearmen slot when I was tidying up the names and descriptions files to save disk space....

Work will grind to a sudden halt as soon as either a) I get the season 7 DVD box set, or b) GRRM finally finishes and releases 'The Winds of Winter' book....

And just to let you know how hard I'm playing WORKING on this mod, just check the casualty stats after the Tyrells just sent 20 stacks in to try and take the Dreadfort off me in my Arryn campaign:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phew.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	20009

... hope that's enough carnage for those who like EPIC battles

Discussion forum thread

Awesome news macsen ...
    Their massive numbers of troops on the battlefeild !!
    Well done .
    Hey moderators ...why the fuc# has this mod not yet been given Hosted Mod status ?

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dimitrios the samian View Post
    Hey moderators ...why the fuc# has this mod not yet been given Hosted Mod status ?
    Because there has not been a request. If @macsen rufus is willing to send me a private message informing me that he would like a forum section for his mod, his request would be accepted.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Hi Beskar,

TBH I don't think I have enough time right now to admin another sub-forum, but I might revisit the idea in the new year... but meanwhile, perhaps this thread could be stickied?

As to that humungous battle - the timer ran to an impressive 400 minutes (nearly 7 hours!) It was that 20-stack army in Winterfell that caused me to delay so long starting the inevitable war with the Tyrells, but I knew I'd have to face it sooner or later. I managed to get 5 stacks in each of Dreadfort and Hornwood ready to meet their counter attack and wiped out the Tyrell navy in two years, and took out a bunch of provinces in the south. The fools had omitted to build any ports in the north, so their armies there were stranded, even before I took out the navy, so their homeland was not so well defended. It was a brutal war, but defeating that massive force was the key to it all...

Discussion forum thread

Beskar 

Default v1.2 Patch coming soon

Long while since I've added any news, but I can announce the v1.2 patch is nearly ready.

It includes some new units, improved unit icons, and changes to some of the animations - mostly to get rid of all those chunky cigars that spearmen tend to fight with

There are also some tweaks to rebel heroes (let God's Eye keep rebelling for some real fun...), tidied up unit descriptions and a couple of changes to the tech tree. Front end is also tidied up a bit.

I'll make the installer soon as I've rinished testing, but it will incorporate the v1.1 and 1.1a updates, so it will be possible to install it over any previous versions - new users can simply install v1.0 plus the new patch.

Little preview of one of the new units, Lannister spearmen, only available in the Westerlands:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lann_spears.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	20449

Discussion forum thread

Default Re: v1.2 Patch coming soon

Well done Mac !
    Looking forward to getting my ass kicked this coming winter ...
    (as im not to good in the Medieval settings )

Default v1.2 Patch Now Available

Ok folks, it's ready...

Get it here.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by macsen rufus; 01-17-2018 at 11:09. Reason: see below...

Discussion forum thread

Default Re: v1.2 Patch Now Available

The download shows v1.1 ???

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Manteuffel View Post
    The download shows v1.1 ???
    Thank you for spotting that, Baron It was one of those '3am with a lousy mobile internet connection' things....

Fixed now.

Discussion forum thread

Thank you macsen rufus, installing now!

It goes without saying, this is a great mod that breathes new life into Medieval Total War. Thanks for sharing it! Dilly dilly!

Great work team! Keep it up Macsen, you deserve your own engine even. :D

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast