Thread: Recrutable Generals

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Recrutable Generals

Shoud we add these in the game?
    Last edited by Skull; 08-17-2011 at 10:49.
    When the camel {S}thinks,it is time to leave the oassis!

Default Re: Recrutable Generals

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    Shoud we add these in the game?
    Post 50
    Well, I always was against recruitable generals - We can give every general extra fertility as a hidden attribute, and try to allow more adoptions. That would still solve the problem of the generals.

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    Post 50
    Well, I always was against recruitable generals - We can give every general extra fertility as a hidden attribute, and try to allow more adoptions. That would still solve the problem of the generals.
    Why are you against that?

Why are you against that?
    Because they aren´t in the family tree - It so sucks if you have a 8 star general, with high Management and Influence at age 30, and you can´t make him faction heir/leader. Also I think it is quite unlogical, generals weren´t recruited - they were born in the right family or worked themselves up.

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    Because they aren´t in the family tree - It so sucks if you have a 8 star general, with high Management and Influence at age 30, and you can´t make him faction heir/leader. Also I think it is quite unlogical, generals weren´t recruited - they were born in the right family or worked themselves up.
    I think if a general is good enoth...
    That he can be adopted...
    Or no?

I think if a general is good enoth...
    That he can be adopted...
    Or no?
    In normal RTW at least it is not that way: Every non family general/captain can be adopted through "man of the Hour" if:

-He won a battle against great odds
    -You don´t already have too much family members
    -and random_percent <75

Meaning: If you have a large empire, and maybe 5 family members, "man of the hour" will allow you to add another member to your family after 4 great victorys.

Normal Adopting works in another way: If the game decides to give you an adoption, it will generate a random, unused name, and random traits.

Adoption Entry in descr_character_traits (1 of 20):

Trigger V0250_Worthy_Of_Adoption_1_VnV_Trigger
    WhenToTest OfferedForAdoption

Affects GoodCommander 3 Chance 33
    Affects GoodAttacker 2 Chance 17
    Affects GoodDefender 2 Chance 17
    Affects GoodSiegeAttacker 2 Chance 17
    Affects Brave 3 Chance 17

wrong. Very much so too. They simply need be Nobility. How many of Alexanders, or Romes, or Persian, or whatever nation's generals were from other nobility. Especially Rome. They were recruited from the Nobility (most often), and didn't have to be in your family.
    Honestly I like it. It's realistic. Though I think have a loyalty issue. If they are left alone with the same troops for too long, then they just may rebel.

also could we script in something so that the general doesn't vanish when dead, but instead gets replaced by a new general? i hate rebuilding the whole unit for a general.
    Last edited by Iolaos; 10-14-2011 at 09:39.

Now that the engine is settled (BI) i think we could revive some discussions, this one is worth it. I'm totally against the use of recruitable generals because only the human player will recruit them, the AI will NEVER attempt to recruit one. But, if we create a series of traits and ancillaries that can cause some sort of "penalty" for recruiting this units (ok not penalty but restric how "far" their political and military achievements can be -I'm thinking about they tending to have traits that gives less loyalty?-) we might have a good option here.
    The second problem i see is that this recruitable generals will take unit slots (i don't know how many we'll have left when faction's rosters are finished).