Thread: [Unit modding] Missing weapons/shields and corpses

Default [Unit modding] Missing weapons/shields and corpses

Hi all

I just started to add new units to my mtw1 (following the guides) but I have some problems:

Weapons/shields:

I used the AlmohadUrbanMilitia as a "prototype" to create my JerusalemCityGuards... copying files and completing data I have an exact copy of the militia unit as my new city guards. But when I edit the JerusalemCityGuards_S / JerusalemCityGuards_W to give them other weapons or shields they appear unarmed on the batlefield. Trying to change "HLPLARSH" to something different and copying the files to that folder, the guards appear as "pixlemonsters" on the battlefield.

Is it possible to edit my new guards to something different - for example - the body of the european men at arms, with spears or polearms, and the colored shield of the feudal sergeants?

Corpses:

I copied the data (deadpage coords) from the militia to the end of the file and named it simply JerusalemCityGuards. But I don't have corpses on the battlefield. Is there something missing, did I do anything wrong?

What must be changed in deadpage coords if I mod the units like describes above?

Max

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: [Unit modding] Missing weapons/shields and corpses

Welcome to the .Org, Mad_Max!

I'm not much of a modder, I just tweak existing stuff, so I won't be much help with modeling issues. Hopefully one of the more technically minded shows up to answer your question.

On the subject of dead bodies, even in the vanilla game some bodies do not appear. There is a bug in the deadpage coords file and the engine stops parsing the file when it hits it, resulting in about 1/4 of the units not producing bodies. Stazi has one for another mod that supposedly works for vanilla, the thread discussion for that is here.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

What I figured out so far:

the equippment of the unit has something to do with the "Item" folder... but I don't know why I once have a sword, a two-handed axe or a shield, but never the wanted combination of them :(

@ drone: thank you for the hint. but following your link I downloaded Stazis deadpage coords, it didn't change anything.
    rearranging the whole file per hand (pfff that took time) also didn't have the wanted affect.

Max

Now that I'm home and can look at the file structure, I'm guessing that whatever numbers (say X for shield and Y for weapon) you put into JerusalemCityGuards_S and JerusalemCityGuards_W will require a directory called JerusalemCityGuards under Items\ShieldX and Items\WeaponY, each with a charge/die/fight/run/stand/walk txt file. If you want a particular weapon and shield, my guess would be that you should check the *_S and *_W files of the unit with those items you wish to replicate, and use those numbers. Getting the weapon/shield to fit the model itself is probably a trial and error thing, unless you copy from a unit with the same base model.

I will now stop talking out of my rear end....
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Now that I'm home and can look at the file structure, I'm guessing that whatever numbers (say X for shield and Y for weapon) you put into JerusalemCityGuards_S and JerusalemCityGuards_W will require a directory called JerusalemCityGuards under Items\ShieldX and Items\WeaponY, each with a charge/die/fight/run/stand/walk txt file. If you want a particular weapon and shield, my guess would be that you should check the *_S and *_W files of the unit with those items you wish to replicate, and use those numbers. Getting the weapon/shield to fit the model itself is probably a trial and error thing, unless you copy from a unit with the same base model
    Yes, that's it.

Finally I finished my first working unit. for testing they are now fmaa with spears and a colored shield.
    I think my biggest problem was my typo :)

After some learning and testing it became rather funny.

But unfortunately I still have no idea how to fix corpses.

Max
    Last edited by Mad_Max; 08-26-2011 at 15:08.

Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Max View Post
    But unfortunately I still have no idea how to fix corpses.
    I haven't the faintest idea what all the numbers mean. Sorry, I must learn more.