Thread: Roman roads

Default Roman roads

Hello,

I'm about 40 turns into the romani campaign and conquered already some cities in the po basin which have no roads. The problem is: I can't build any roads either...

Is this normal for the romani campaign (other campaigns I could always build roads immediately)? Or should I first build another building?

Another question: I also can't build any factional recruitement building in any conquered city. Is this how it's supposed to be?

Thank you for your help!

Apprentice Geologist Member Blxz's Avatar

Default Re: Roman roads

By the sounds of things you lack a 'government'.

This is a special building chain, first step is a blueish text with sword icon called 'Military Occupation'. Second step is a Level of government. Almost always the longer to build governments are better but the romans can be a tricky one with their reforms. Sometimes, in southern italy early on and in Gaul it can be worthwhile to build the cheaper, quicker governments for access to foreign units.

Quick recap, Expensive, 10 turn Level 1 government building will allow you to build your factional barracks up to top level and likely recruit the best units your faction has to offer. The cheaper and quicker to build ones offer fewer factional units and more regional units. level 4 governments will not allow you to leave a family member inside as a governor without public order issuses in a few turns.

EDIT: Also, better governments (slower building) will allow you to build more infrastructure. So A level 1 will allow you to build all roman infrastructure while a level 4 will allow only minimal infrastructure. Roads are infrastructure along with other buildings.
    Last edited by Blxz; 09-01-2011 at 05:44.
    Completed Campaigns:
    Macedonia EB 0.81 / Saby'n EB 1.1
    Qart'Hadarst EB 1.2 / Hai EB 1.2
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria
    donated by Brennus for attention to detail.

Make sure to have a look at the EB FAQ. You'll find them via the thread "Important Information for Forum Users" in the main EB forum.
    Read about glory and decline of the Seleucid Empire... (EB 1.1 AAR)

from Satalexton from I of the Storm from Vasiliyi

Terrible Tactician Member Shadowwalker's Avatar

First off:
    Welcome to the.org as well as to EB, Yop73. Good to see that there still new people joining the R:TW community.

Quote Originally Posted by Blxz View Post
    Quick recap, Expensive, 10 turn Level 1 government building will allow you to build your factional barracks up to top level and likely recruit the best units your faction has to offer. The cheaper and quicker to build ones offer fewer factional units and more regional units. level 4 governments will not allow you to leave a family member inside as a governor without public order issuses in a few turns.
    Addendum for the SPQR:
    even if you build a Type A government in any italian city not owned at the game start you will not be able to build factional recruitment/training centres there until you achieved the Polybian reforms (which are quite easy to achieve though but wqill not kick in before 242 BC):
    This is intentional to represent historical developments within the possibilities of a limited engine.

In general I can only support the advice to look at the FAQ (which contains a "reform" section too) and to use the recruitment viewer you installed with EB.

Addendum to the addendum :
    Since you are new to EB.... this guide by Konny could be useful for you.
    It's a complete overview of what units are available i which provinces in each of the four eras (Camillan, Polybian, Marian, Imperial).
    It should be accurate in the most areas still despite being somewhat older.

And this guide by Quintus Sertorius is by chance the best read in these forums if you plan to have a historicial campaign (which is not everyone's taste, granted).
    He also has some fine thoughts about appropriate army composition there.
    Last edited by Shadowwalker; 09-05-2011 at 04:46.
    Finished EB Campaigns: Kart-Hadast 1.0/1.2 | Pontos 1.1 | Arche Seleukeia 1.2 | Hayasdan 1.2 | Sab'yn 1.2 | Makedonia 1.2 (Alex)
    Lost Campaigns (1.2, Alex. exe): Getai | Sab'Yn
    Ongoing campaigns (1.2): SPQR (110 BC) | Sab'yn (217 BC) | Pontos (215 BC)
    from Populus Romanus

"The state of human ethics can be summarized in two sentences: We ought to. But we don't." (Tucholsky)