Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Capo Off-topic discussion

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

Default Capo Off-topic discussion

Not game related chatter goes here, please. By all means have fun talking to each other, but let's move the discussion out of the sign-up sheet and also possibly not clutter up the game when it comes.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

Default Re: Capo Off-topic discussion

Phirst!
    vote:Askthepizzaguy
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.
    I see I've been sigged yet again -Askthepizzaguy, 02/08/2012
    Hindsight is 20/20 Askthepizzaguy, 10/07/2013

<Insert Joke Here> Member Choxorn's Avatar

Vote: Takhisis for saying "Phirst"

syö minun šortsini Member Space Invaders Champion, Metal Slug Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Curveball Champion, Moon Patrol Champion, Zelda Champion, Minigolf Champion El Barto's Avatar

Who is this Takhisis you speak of? These are not the kittens you are looking for. *Handwave*

Tally:
    Askthepizzaguy 1 (El Barto)
    Not voting 2 (Askthepizzaguy; Choxorn -invalid voter)
    good lord| if you're telling the truth you're setting new records for scumminess as a townie -Renata on IM, 16/09/2011
    Feles deliberatissimae subiugare humanitiati sunt, et res solae quae eas desinunt canes sunt.

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

So here's my plan for myself for Capo IV

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Okay, I've been thinking about what I'd do in Capo IV for a while. Since the last game a couple years ago, in fact.

In that game I was involved in the pro-town effort, and eventually became the focal point of the town's efforts. A lot of the legwork, such as contacting people, organizing groups, re-organizing groups, bugging people to send orders, questioning suspects, and so forth, was done by myself. There were many others involved in independent efforts, most of whom got absorbed by the centralized effort at some point; many folks doing fine detective, defender, or vigilante work on their own; again most of those got absorbed by the network by the end. The success of the group was evident to some degree; Reenk would argue that it was actually bad luck and division that brought the mafia down, not particularly the efforts of the town. So there's some room for discussion there.

But, as was evident the game after and in related games since, once you've pushed pro-town organizing to that level, folks will expect you to do it again. Part of the difficulties I had with Pirate Ship Mafia was that many folks expected me to do a repeat; folks revealed to me and expected me to save them. I was an unscanned, corruptible townie. I could easily have been mafia, and I had the names of the pro-town effort all under my belt.

I had to request to become an officer to prevent being converted, or request to be lynched; the other option was to shut up and hope to be converted and then bring the town to its knees. Trouble with the third one is I don't feel I would have been winning based on guile or my own efforts, sort of being handed the win instead. So of course, they made me an officer and then I was part of the pro-town organizing. I started taking over more and more duties, and lo and behold, I was repeating Capo III.

I didn't even want to. Diana Abnoba and myself made the choice early on to just have fun, not care, and roleplay. Then I was sucked back in due to circumstances beyond my control.

This same stuff keeps happening; in Midgard III I learned the names of almost all the Kings and their champions. That was completely reckless. Again, I could have been scum but I was not. I didn't even need to do all that much digging, but once I started getting info I decided to try to take the ball and run with it. You folks expect me to anyway. Well we didn't do so well. But it would have been worse if I had been able to be converted or was Jotun.

This history forms the basis of my thinking; I am a familiar go-to guy for networking, and if it should happen to be the case I'm scum, it ends in disaster (See: Shadow Fort)

Thing is I'm not really given a choice; if there is a pro-town network they usually try to get me not only involved, but overly informed. Soon I learn all the sensitive info and have more control over the game than anyone really should. It gets boring on repeat viewings as I said. And I've done it. I've done it to death.... Buffy Mafia, Capo III, Pirate Ship, Midgard, Rubicon, you name it, I've done it to death.

I don't wanna. I am clearly not the only person in a group of 110 who could perform this task. Someone else can be your star quarterback, easily! LOTS of talented folks here. Lots of highly experienced, highly motivated, friendly, communicative, active, cunning people. They really deserve a shot at that role, and if I am competing for such a role, people will likely go for me again based on old patterns. I have to decline.

I put a lot of effort into signing up other folks because at the heart of this game, I want to see others succeed in the big game. I have my superbowl trophy and thensome by now, and you're overlooking a lot of talent if you don't look elsewhere first. As talkative as I am and as much effort as I put into the game, I do recognize this is not a game all about Askthepizzaguy.

I do not want Capo IV to be all about Askthepizzaguy. So I must request that folks not expect me to fill in the same familiar roles.

That's the first point. It's not fun, and it's time for others to shine. Let's do something different.

Second point: If I am not Captain America, what am I? Well obviously I'm a scumbag, obvious scum is obvious.

So, that leads to lynch or vig right away. How splendid!

Well that's not fun for me either. But I know certain folks expect nothing less: Either I must be Askthepizzaguy the Town Director with his squads of protective goons and pro-town vigilante squads of death, or I'm the nemesis of the town and everbody gotta kill me. Somehow I've gotten it to the point where I can only ever be one of the two extremes.

So I decline. If contacted I will not join. If threatened I will not join. That goes for the town network efforts, as well as for the mafia family recruitment thingamajobbers.

Since I won't be leading the efforts I'll be scanned six ways from sunday and then lynched just to make sure. As such, I'm not throwing my lot in with some weak family to lose with them, as being scanned as a Made or whatever will end my mafia career real quick. I'm just a bad choice for recruit. I'll also have been scanned by a couple different families so when one gets me the other will just kill me off. Easy way to handicap your rivals.

Well, this is starting to look a lot like Wargames. I am damned if I do my usual pro-town thing which I am loath to do over and over, and I am damned if I don't do it and I join the scumbags. The only winning move is not to play.... but that's something I can't do either. Everyone knows me and I know me. I can't sit still and do nothing even if I were tied up, impaled, and roasted rotisserie-style. I gotta do stuff or else I go insane.

So, if I'm not Captain America, and I'm not Doctor Evil, and I'm not Lurky McLurkingsworth or Signup Notplayington, what in the blue skeezix am I?

I thought about it long and hard, and I'm unveiling my choice now, pre-game.

I'm going to pull a Twilightblade. That is to say, do something that proves I'm not scum and not trying to become scum. I'll also do nothing specifically pro-town or anti-town with my vote or night actions, so as not to threaten the scums and get them to murder me.

Except, I'm also not a copycat, I have my own twist to bring to the table. I'm going to be roleplaying as a radio personality: playing music, reading the news, interviewing citizens of Fatlington, and taking your calls and answering your requests.

Kagemusha did something similar in Daggers in the Night, except he was hiding his scum with it, and not very well. Not from me anyway. I'll be doing it because that is what I'm going to be doing to occupy myself.

What else?

Well, as you've noticed, I've posted my thoughts regarding what town should be doing to win, and what the scums should. I'll be on hand to answer questions from our new players, post messages from anonymous sources, or if folks are trying to find others to work with in a group, I'll be able to connect people to each other.

What I won't do is anything overtly pro- or anti-town. I will not speak for the detectives and reveal detective results anonymously. I will not reveal scumbags to the town, or detectives and doctors to the scumbags. I won't tell folks who they should be investigating, vig-killing, or protecting. But I will talk to anyone and everyone.

I'll also keep their identities to myself. I won't be bullied or threatened into giving up the names, and I'll refuse to join the mafia, so that info dies with me. You'll be blabbing your identities to me ANYWAY, I can't stop you, I've asked enough times and you never listen.

So, in order to ensure I actually have some fun, and on my own terms, those are my terms. You don't like it, organize a vig-hit on me night one. I won't be doing the paranoid Capo III thing and getting myself protection every night. That's right, anytime you want me dead it's just one bullet away.

But that's that. I'm going rogue neutral and FOR THE LULS. That's Pizza's plan for Capo IV. Feel free to cut my fun short or leave me alone. Your option. But I'm not budging from this position, unless I feel like it.

If I get some power role, whatever. I'll still do this, it will just be harder. Random.org is a merciless mistress sometimes.

So that's that. You decide what you wanna do with it.

Oh, and after I'm inevitably deep scanned and found not to be mafia, I'd love to be Director for a couple nights so I can do some writeups. That's about as ambitious as I'm getting. Enjoy the performance.

The best laid plans of mice and men.... but we'll see how far this gets me.

Too long, didn't read? Here's a summary:

If I don't survive, tell my wife "hello".
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This thread will be closed at the start of the game, because the game thread itself is going to be difficult enough to moderate without a separate OOC chatter thread to keep an eye on.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Not as guilty as he seems Member Erebus's Avatar

I hope I get Don with ATPG as my Made, then we'd auto win. Collect all the data, convert all the wiseguys and kill all the det/doctors! Win!

I believe I was saying something about how Pizza is Italian, ergo mafia? Now Taki (it has a nice ring to it, I think), you were contending that I must be somehow related to the Yakuza. However, ersatz mafia don't count. Especially in a game based on Dons and Lucas.

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Vote:The Gingybreadmen!

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    This thread will be closed at the start of the game, because the game thread itself is going to be difficult enough to moderate without a separate OOC chatter thread to keep an eye on.
    In b4 teh lock!

I think we can all agree that the worst person to be a Don is most probably Earthling :P
    BLARGH!

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

*taking notes *

In this game I will be ... КГБ ... yes that's right.
    I have already been given my role and the instruction of recruiting agents before game start.
    If any of you would like to work for the MIGHTY faction СССР, then pm me. Our main goal is to shut down the mafia smuggling operations and set up hidden cells in the US of A.
    There might be a few CIA agents in this particular game. They are not to be trusted, at all. The CIA are Mafia.
    National Security agents don't exist. If someone claims that role, they are scum.
    FBI are corrupt and will sell out the town. How else are the mafia able to operate so openly in Fatlington?
    Our aim is to establish a foothold and finally declare independence from USA. Fatlington and surrounding cities will wave the red flag.

LET THE REVOLUTION BEGIN!!!
    Status Emeritus

This Space For Rent Member Renata's Avatar

I wanna be a Commie. Can we kill lurkers, comrade?

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

XD

Knight of Flowers Member Diamondeye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Finally! I was tiring of waving this Red banner all alone. I'm yours, comrade Sigurd!
    If God is great, and if God is good, why can't he change the hearts of men?"
    -Tom Waits, "The Road to Peace"

Pizza, won't you curse Zoidberg with your dying breath?

Member Member Plasmanaut on Fire Champion Memnon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos View Post

XD
    If I'm gonna be honest, I love that national anthem, it sounds so much better than my own, and the lyrics aren't based on an inconsequential battle in an outcome-less war.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Memnon View Post
    If I'm gonna be honest, I love that national anthem, it sounds so much better than my own, and the lyrics aren't based on an inconsequential battle in an outcome-less war.
    You have your own, personal national anthem. Wow.

Member Member Plasmanaut on Fire Champion Memnon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    You have your own, personal national anthem. Wow.

Well, the Principality of Sealand only has some 20 recognized citizens

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Quote Originally Posted by Memnon View Post
    Oh absolutely, I don't know what the lyrics are saying, but musically speaking it's one of my favs :)

The anthem is fine but the Penguin Republic will have your heads for that image leaving out Antartica.

Meadow Party best party
    There was a big high wall there that tried to stop me
    Sign was painted, it said private property
    But on the back side it didn't say nothing
    This land was made for you and me

Kagemusha did something similar in Daggers in the Night, except he was hiding his scum with it, and not very well. Not from me anyway. I'll be doing it because that is what I'm going to be doing to occupy myself.
    Didn't he win that game?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

What are the odds that this thread gets to at least 500 posts before the start of the game?
    Always meet on the level, act by the plumb and part on the square.
    2B1ASK1

Quote Originally Posted by BSmith View Post
    What are the odds that this thread gets to at least 500 posts before the start of the game?
    High, and we would already almost be there if all the previous spam is merged.

Eating Babies since 1983 Member Sprig's Avatar

EDIT - Nevermind.
    Last edited by Sprig; 09-09-2011 at 07:09.
    Bad.

If we are desperate, and we need an "H" person, I could be that person by Italianising my name of r the game.

¿'heroe clásico'? Spanish.

Bookish Hooligan Member SisterCoyote's Avatar

I'm so confused. So so very confused, and the game hasn't even started yet...

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SisterCoyote View Post
    You only need to remember two things, trust everything I say and put El Barto on ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by SisterCoyote View Post
    You only need to remember two things, trust everything I say and put El Barto on ignore.
    Why, oh, why? Don't believe him he's a Sellik fan. Do you like kittens, Sister Coyote?
    Take it here, catboy.
    I'm grown up now! It's…

[Please host your own images - GH]
    Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 09-09-2011 at 18:40.

Quote Originally Posted by El Barto View Post
    ¿'heroe clásico'? Spanish.
    The Italian does start with an "e" instead, but I could just make sound Italian and be with it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast