Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: stone forts

Member Member stratigos vasilios's Avatar

Default Re: stone forts

I'm not too sure, I think they'd all have a default look. I say this because if a foreign faction takes over and upgrades the city it'll change it's culture setting. It would give rise to (potentially) a different culture city and fort. Not sure if that's right, chat away.
    We love you because you died and resurrected to save us...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    We love you Goku!

here is btw a pic how it will look like in DOTS, for those of you who did not see the mods map blog:

i very much like the combination of huge moving range + many forts
    conquering new land and moving through enemy territory will be a slow grinding process, while you can move rapidly through your own, as it should be i guess
    Gott mit dir, dem Bayernvolke,
    Daß wir unsrer Väter wert,
    fest in Eintracht und in Friede
    bauen unseres Glückes Herd;
    Daß der Freund da Hilfe finde,
    Wehrhaft uns der Gegner schau,
    Wo die Rauten-Banner wehen,
    Unsre Farben – Weiß und Blau!

Quote Originally Posted by fightermedic View Post
    here is btw a pic how it will look like in DOTS, for those of you who did not see the mods map blog:
    Unholy crap, that is absolutely ridiculous! No offense, fightermedic, but I will never play that mod for that reason alone. Not only do they look terrible being all over the map, but I'm willing to bet that the majority of EB2 fans have no interest in going through that many siege battles.

I realize that conquering a region means more than just capturing one city, but I think that the team has found an abstract way of representing the continual subjugation of a conquered region through the Authority Buildings system they are implementing. I fully support using stone forts to represent extremely settlements in important strategic locations, but having tons of them spread all over every region just seems absurd to me.

Looks awesome. I have dreamt of this.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Quote Originally Posted by B_Ray View Post
    I fully support using stone forts to represent extremely settlements in important strategic locations, but having tons of them spread all over every region just seems absurd to me.
    Agreed, forts for strategically important locations, but don't add too many, en EB 1 my most frequent battles are sieges/sally's/relief efforts already.

Hmm, all this talk of castles has made me think. Will every single city have the option to build some form of massive wall for their settlements? It really, really got to me in EB, around 240BC no matter what city you tried to take, no matter what faction it was you had to take it from, it always had a stone wall, or the "barbarian" equivelant.

Can the building of anything higher than a thick palisade be restricted to like... Rome, Carthage, Athens, Alexandreia, Seleukia, basically just the capital city or any extremely historically important city within an empire that isn't its capital, like Babylon for Seleukids, etc? It kills me having to assault walls every bloody time I attack what ought to be just a minor settlement.
    EBII has finally released. All hail the EBII team!

That wouldn't be very realistic now would it?

Apprentice Geologist Member Blxz's Avatar

Stonefort spam. Thats insane, and not good insane. I was looking forward to DOTS but thats just not my style of play. A perfect case of overzealous implementation of a game feature ruining a game.
    Completed Campaigns:
    Macedonia EB 0.81 / Saby'n EB 1.1
    Qart'Hadarst EB 1.2 / Hai EB 1.2
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria
    donated by Brennus for attention to detail.

i very much like the combination of huge moving range + many forts
    conquering new land and moving through enemy territory will be a slow grinding process, while you can move rapidly through your own, as it should be i guess
    Where is this map blog? Can't seem to find it.

here ya go: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=469217

@Blxz: quite the opposite in my opininon, well we'll have to wait and see how it turns out in the end, anyway

Thanks. Thought it would be about EBII, though. I actually thought DOTS was a reference to how the stone forts are sort of dots on the map.. :)

I am sure the EBII team will make a slightly less "dotted" map.. ;)

from what i read over 2 years ago they said each region would only have 1 or 2 permanent stone forts

Member Member stratigos vasilios's Avatar

Question, can PSF be named differently? I.e. have individual and unique minor town/settlement names. Or will they all appear as the stone fort default name? Also just clarifying, the implementation of a 'permanent' merchant in these forts will represent a minor settlement increasing the weath of a region? So underneath each fort will be a resource icon which the 'permanent' merchant will trade from if the player has control over the fort? Another question, will units in these forts have free upkeep? Bit of a mouthful, but I hope it all made sense.
    We love you because you died and resurrected to save us...
    We love you Goku!

Quote Originally Posted by stratigos vasilios View Post
    Question, can PSF be named differently? I.e. have individual and unique minor town/settlement names. Or will they all appear as the stone fort default name? Also just clarifying, the implementation of a 'permanent' merchant in these forts will represent a minor settlement increasing the weath of a region? So underneath each fort will be a resource icon which the 'permanent' merchant will trade from if the player has control over the fort? Another question, will units in these forts have free upkeep? Bit of a mouthful, but I hope it all made sense.
    Yes, stone forts can be named (although the name only appears when you right click on them, iirc), you can see this feature in the mod Deus Le Vult. I don't know about the other points.

as far as i remeber the name already shows if you but mouse over the fort
    no guarantee!

Hi.

If an enemy army conquers the fort/minor city, what happens to the merchant? Btw, it will be a very interesting feature especially since you can mode the campaign looks for the psf.

At last, i dont think the EB team will use near as many psfs as dots.

Thx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12